High elves vs Empire 8th ed test game

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

wamphyri101

High elves vs Empire 8th ed test game

#1 Post by wamphyri101 »

Had my first game of 8th Ed last night to test some of the rules we know so far.

What I used and found was:

High Elf Prince
Armour of Calador, Vambraces of defence, Great weapon, Star Dragon: 612pts

Lords: 612pts

Noble
Dragon Armour, enchanted shield, Battle Standard, Barded Elven Steed: 137pts
(in with phoenix guard)

Noble
Great Weapon, Dragon armour, Reaver bow: 139pts
(in sea guard)

Mage
Level 2, Dispel scroll, silver wand: 165pts

Heroes (4): 441 Points

10 Elven Archers: 110pts

10 Elven Archers: 110pts

10 Sea lothern guard, Shields: 130pts

28 Lothern Sea Guard, Full Command, Banner of eternal flame, shields: 400pts

Core (4): 750points

14 Sword masters of Hoeth
Full command: 240pts

14 White lions of Chrace

14 Phoenix Guard

Lion Chariot: 140pts

Lion Chariot: 140pts

Special (5): 1000points

Elven Repeater Bolt Thrower: 100pts

Elven Repeater Bolt Thrower: 100pts

Rare (2): 200 points

1: Lore of life is ace!
I had a level 2 with silver wand/scroll. I got the +2 toughness, regen 5+ and regrowth.

At one point my white lions were toughness 5 with regen!. couple of turns later they were down to half strength (got jumped by a block of 40 swordsmen + 20 halberdiers) and managed to get regrowth off on a 23, allowing me to get d6+1 back…and I rolled a 5!
Up popped 6 more white lions and ended up winning me the combat next round.
I think I will stick with support magic like this as its all too easy to get caught up in damage spells but I would rather back my expensive boys.

2: Sword master under perform.
They just didn’t cut it. As soon as they started to lose a couple of guys they just failed to cope with the stepping up rules. Think I’m going to drop them to umpf up my white lions and phoenix guard.

3: Phoenix guard: first time using them as I never really liked them, and they were good. Took volley gun twice, a steam tank steam burst and a volley from outriders, only losing 4 (in turn killing the stank and taking up most his shooting) will give these guys the AP banner in the future.

4: Seaguard
I love them. I took a unit of 28, unit of 10 and 2 units of archers.
Archers worked well as usual but the seaguard main unit just sat and shot anything near them and then reforming to take on a block of swordsmen. Supported by a bsb noble they just worked really well. I think I will bump them up to 30 and increase the 10 man group to 20 also. (Or make a big block of 50 for 700points like in the white dwarf…but when do they ever do decent lists)

5: Stardragon lord:
Was mental. The thunder stomp was never used as he just ripped through most stuff. Made him flank around the side and take down a mortar, then into a unit of halberdiers flank, then onto the volley gun before turning its eye on the mass unit of swordsmen. Never even got to use the new flame attacks

Magic:
Is fickle. On turn 1 and 3 I failed to cast my first spell meaning I couldn’t cast anymore. I was more worried also about using more dice in case I got the new dreaded double 6, which my opponent did and his 2 level 2 mages took a wound.

All in all the new ASF and I rules are awesome for high elves. The worry now is other armies like ogre kingdoms. They will now hit very very hard. I mean 15 ogre bulls can inflict 46 st4 attacks plus the impact and stomp hits. They with the large number of wounds mean they could be a real problem!

As for the empire team, Swordsmen and gunners are a pain in the arse. 2 ranks from shooting can really hit your units and the fact that anything can wound on a 6 means it’s dangerous for those bolt throwers more than before.

Mass blocks can hurt badly. 40 Swordsmen 10 wide gave me a bloody nose (thank god for regrowth) meant he was throwing out 30 str 3 ws 4 attacks even after killing 9 of them. That with ranks, banner and the 7 wounds he gave me meant I had lost combat (thank god for stubborn)

Also with hand weapon and shield that 6+ ward is annoying (yay lots if st6 attacks for us but a lot can get saved)
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
swarmtime

Re: High elves vs Empire 8th ed test game

#2 Post by swarmtime »

I find armour of caledor useless now you can get a 2+ armour from dragon armour, enchanted shield (5pts, +5 armour) and mounted on dragon. This allows vambraces and starlance to be bought with a 2+ re-rollable armour 4+ ward.
Chracian

#3 Post by Chracian »

Do monstrous mounts now give a +1 bonus to AS?
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Bolt Thrower

#4 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Chracian wrote:Do monstrous mounts now give a +1 bonus to AS?
I've heard that large monstrous mounts give the +1. But not smaller ones such as eagles.

Do guns get to shoot in 2 ranks? I thought it was only bows?
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
wamphyri101

#5 Post by wamphyri101 »

Far as I remember reading it is all shooting can be done in 2 ranks. Bows are the only one who can shoot in more than 2 (you get half shots for each rank after the second)

never thought about the swaping armour of calador for the shield, totally slipped me by when making the list. Will have to look at something else to take for those 40 points (Vambraces + Enchanted shield)
HERO

#6 Post by HERO »

swarmtime wrote:I find armour of caledor useless now you can get a 2+ armour from dragon armour, enchanted shield (5pts, +5 armour) and mounted on dragon. This allows vambraces and starlance to be bought with a 2+ re-rollable armour 4+ ward.
Hmm. Better option would be Enchanted Shield + Helm of Fortune. Keep in mind that if we opt to take Enchanted Shield, it must be the 10 points it is in our book. Can't take the 5 point one from the BRB.

5+ Dragon Armor, 5+ shield gives 3+, 2+ from mounted, 1+ from Helm, and it's re-rollable AS. GP on top of that gives him a 1+ re-rollable, 5+ Ward.

That's not what I would do though. I would rather give him the Enchanted Shield and Dragonhelm (from the new items). Give him Vambraces of Defense on top of that. That gives him a 1+ re-rollable and 4+ Ward, and saves both Guardian Phoenix and Armor of Caledor for your BSB on foot with a Great Weapon :)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Pash

#7 Post by Pash »

HERO wrote:
swarmtime wrote:I find armour of caledor useless now you can get a 2+ armour from dragon armour, enchanted shield (5pts, +5 armour) and mounted on dragon. This allows vambraces and starlance to be bought with a 2+ re-rollable armour 4+ ward.
Hmm. Better option would be Enchanted Shield + Helm of Fortune. Keep in mind that if we opt to take Enchanted Shield, it must be the 10 points it is in our book. Can't take the 5 point one from the BRB.

5+ Dragon Armor, 5+ shield gives 3+, 2+ from mounted, 1+ from Helm, and it's re-rollable AS. GP on top of that gives him a 1+ re-rollable, 5+ Ward.

That's not what I would do though. I would rather give him the Enchanted Shield and Dragonhelm (from the new items). Give him Vambraces of Defense on top of that. That gives him a 1+ re-rollable and 4+ Ward, and saves both Guardian Phoenix and Armor of Caledor for your BSB on foot with a Great Weapon :)
Apart from the fact that you cannot have two magic armour items on the same character ie. Enchanted shield and Helm of Fortune. Sucks, I tried that too :(
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!
HERO

#8 Post by HERO »

Yeah I have no idea how I missed that.

I got uber excited that I overread where Dragon Helm is :(
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#9 Post by Silver »

Mage
Level 2, Dispel scroll, silver wand: 165pts

Illegal, 2 Arcane Items - Dispel Scroll no longer exempt.

Enchanted Shield is not 5 points - you use the current army book's pricing.
Kalandros Shadowsun
wamphyri101

#10 Post by wamphyri101 »

From what I remember seeing you can take the stone/scrolls with other arcane items. You can just buy 1 now per army