Tactics for a 3v3 Battle

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Korhain Ironglaive
Location: Ontario, NY,Yes it says Ontario, no I don't live in Canada

Tactics for a 3v3 Battle

#1 Post by Korhain Ironglaive »

I am going to be in a 3v3 battle this weekend. Its 2000 pts apeice and no special characters or dragons of any sort are allowed.

The teams are myself as high elves, an Orcs and Goblins player that is new to Orcs and goblins but not the game, and a Lizardman player who cannot roll for crap. the other side is a VC player, a relatively novice Wood elf player, and an empire player who is a brilliant tactician. So any tips or tricks would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
WarpPhoenix

Re: Tactics for a 3v3 Battle

#2 Post by WarpPhoenix »

Well a 3v3 or any team battle is a game of rock, paper... you get the picture. You need to think about what of your forces can destroy their forces.

So lets take a look at the chart! Ok so shooting doesnt work too well on Vamps, so you need to beat them hardcore in combat and you need to do it fast. Unfortunately due to O&G unreliability i would always be wary to send his units to do this job which is why you break it further down into what units are good and where. So agaisnt VC all of your swordmasters should be looking at their main blocks, anything that you as a HE player has that is combat should be running their way to murder their units in cold steel.

Wood Elves should get a magic beat down and then the lizards should always do well against empire as long as they keep the steg out of cannon sight.

You can either all agree to try and get a balanced list for yourselves and try to dabble a bit in each phase or you can each powerhouse a phase and work untis around eachother (I prefer the latter). O&G can try their hand at combat or magic (combat is pretty good if you use pure black orcs, say a Black ORc hero on a chariot with a BSB with waagh banner? D6 waagh, then you charge 14 with another D6 ontop of the charge, its a nice combo). Lizards can do the magic phase pretty effectively and as HEs you could cover their asses with 4 bolt throwers (let the lizards handle the flyers, they do it better than you).

Maybe for HEs you could have a Prince on a Griffon or Eagle with the seafearer bow, then another noble with the reaver bow. Your core filled with archers, 4 bolt throwers and then whatever else that you feel like dedicating into shooting. Maybe some shadow warriors units or just pump more archers/seaguard into it, seaguard and archers would be nice because with seaguard you keep the shooting but can then cover the flanks of whoever has the combat job.

For Lizards you should have the Slaan, couple of engines to boost it a little further, terradon riders as all the special and skinks skirmishers to jsut be plain annoying. Lizards should max out on their magic.

And the orcs should probably just blow it all on combat (but of course taking the morks spirit totem to keep up the dispell dice)
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
Sturen

#3 Post by Sturen »

Remember though. To make the game more fun you have to avoid the 3 1v1 battle scenario, which happens often. Try requiring units of one army to not be next to another unit of the same army on both sides. That means you can't just stack all of one army against all of another, turning a 3v3 battle into three 1v1s played next to each other. Bottlenecking with terrain also works nicely :P.
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Musashi

#4 Post by Musashi »

Go for combat and a quick decision.

Use O&G as the spearhead and to absorb early shooting losses, the HE on the flank to slice through and swing to the centre, the Lizards as the primary hammer; find out before hand the definition of friendly troops and if the Waaagh spell works on Lizards and Elves, and discuss at least two hours beforehand with your cohorts precisely how you want to deal with your opponents, from personal experience I know it's quite possible to gang up on one army and destroy it, usually by sending rather expensive units after some of the more worthwhile parts of it, usually a special task force drawn from all three allied armies.

The question about magic is if you take along an AM; normally, I see my task to cast Drain Magic with IF and support with RBTs. With O&G, Slann and HE, you could try a game of magic one man upmanship, with possibly spectacular results, but fast breaking your opponent in combat is surer.

I'd target the VC player first, and hope that he gets a flank, avoid the wood elf one and screen the rest of your army by using the O&G to attack and block LoS from the Empire one to the your main strike force going full steam ahead against the VC. Having in theory eliminated the VC one as a viable force, swing towards the centre. Woodies like forests and are more likely to be placed on one of the flanks, so in theory, you can deal with them last.

If the VC gets placed in the centre, you might consider a frontal assault, and heavy screens covering both flanks so it doesn't get shot up too much; the Waaagh would be really useful at this point.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.