Improving the site? Tactics. Army run-down. Articles.

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

~Milliardo~

#31 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

I believe he quit, though I don't know the whole story.
Kappa

#32 Post by Kappa »

Another thing that might be worth adding is a guide to the basic design of an army list. How the experienced generals start a list and keep it competitive. I have read PapaElf's guide and just wondered how things have changed to the newer edition.
Enginseer

#33 Post by Enginseer »

i'd like to see the tactics section broken down into army specific sections. One should be able to go to whatever army they're having trouble with and read up on solutions that work against them. The forums should be used as places for discussion whereas the library should have well written, consise documents summarising the ideas and conclusions of the discussion.
Additional Generic Comment...
PapaElf

PapaElf's Tactica Reduex

#34 Post by PapaElf »

Part 1. --- 7th Edition Overview

This thread is the start of a revision to the tactical articles I submitted two years ago in the first weeks of the 7th Edition Army book. I was not, and am not a big fan of the “new” book. This is largely due to the new Force Organization of the High Elves, namely 2+ core, 0-6 special, and 0-4 rare units. In addition the core and rare units are extremely limited with respect to choice, to the point of almost dictating one’s selection, i.e. 2 units each of Archers, Bolt Throwers and Eagles.
To those who might be interested, the 2007 posts that I intend to update:The remainer of this post has been moved to the Great Library - Chapter 0 - Introduction.
Last edited by PapaElf on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PapaElf
Elven Prince

#35 Post by Elven Prince »

Glad to see you back and two thumbs up for your work. :)
[size=75][color=blue][i]Great leaders inspire greatness in others.[/i][/color][/size]
Marinero

#36 Post by Marinero »

Welcome back, PapaElf!
PapaElf

#37 Post by PapaElf »

Tactics, Part 1.1 --- Maneuver (revised)

This post has been moved to the Great Library. Chapter 1 - Maneuver.
Last edited by PapaElf on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PapaElf
PapaElf

#38 Post by PapaElf »

Tactics, Part 2.1 --- Melee, Magic, Psychology (revised)

This post has been moved to the Great library. Chapter 2 - Melee, Magic, Psychology
Last edited by PapaElf on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
PapaElf
PapaElf

#39 Post by PapaElf »

Tactics, Part 3.1 --- Determine Your Army’s Strategic Purpose (Revised)

This post has been moved to the Great Library. Chapter 3 - Determine Your Army’s Strategic Purpose
Last edited by PapaElf on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
PapaElf
Candy Chesthair

#40 Post by Candy Chesthair »

This is great! I've enjoyed reading the previous edition and now I'm enjoying this one. A great help and guidiance for new and veteran players alike.

Greetings,

Roy
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." -Sigmund Freud

High Elves 7th edition: W/L/D: 7/3/2
PapaElf

#41 Post by PapaElf »

Tactics, Part4.1 - How to Outmaneuver the Enemy (revised)

This post has been moved to the Great Library. Chapter 4 - How to Outmaneuver the Enemy
Last edited by PapaElf on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PapaElf
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: PapaElf's Tactica Reduex

#42 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings PapaElf!

I have a question to your battle report. I edited Turn 2 to show which part of the battle I am going to ask about.
PapaElf wrote:
The Battle:

Turn 2:
  • Mine:
    • Manuver:
      • Dragon princes declare rear charge on Prince
        Phoenix Guard declare frontal charge on Prince
      Magic:
      • Mage casts “The Beast Cowers” on the Prince, three dice – 15 irresistible force Archmage casts “Fury of Khaine” on Prince, three dice – 9, he attempts two dice dispel – 9 dispeled
      Missile Fire:
      • Bolt Thrower #2 shoots single shot at Prince, hits, randomizes to Dragon, 2 wounds, no saves.
      Melee Combat:
      • Dragon Princes take Terror check – 8, pass, and move to the rear of the star dragon. Phoenix Guard moves to front of Dragon. Prince has highest initiative and elects to use the 4 attacks against the Dragon Princes, 2 hits, 1 wound, 1 save. Dragon Princes get 9 attacks against the Dragon, 5 hits, 2 wounds, no saves. Phoenix Guard elect to use their 5 attacks against the prince, 3 hits, 2 wounds, no saves, Prince dies. Star Dragon takes leadership, 9 passes. Combat resolution: Me: 4 wounds, 3 ranks, rear charge, war banner, outnumber, win by 11. Dragon tests for insane courage, 4 fails, breaks, runs 12 inches, Dragon Prince pursuit, 11 inches. Phoenix guard pursuit, 8 inches
If I understood correctly the sequence of your turn 2 is as follows:

1. You declare charges on his Prince on a Dragon with your cavalry and infantry.
2. You cast spells and shoot at the Prince and his mount.
3. You move your units into contact with the Prince on the Dragon.
4. You resolve combat.

My question is:
"Is it legal sequence of actions?"

According to the rulebook one has to move chargers in the movement phase, before magic and shooting.

Thank you in advance!
S.
PapaElf

#43 Post by PapaElf »

Hi swordmaster,

You are correct, and we played it that way, I just didn't write it correctly. The bolt thrower shot at the prince is illegal as written. Refering back to my notes, I don't show myself shooting the Bolt Thrower at all.

Anyway, I was trying to highlight the sequence of battle on the "Sun" Dragon and show the overrun, albeit, it would not have happened with less fortunate dice rolling, since the "whimpering" dragon is unbreakable.
PapaElf
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#44 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi PapaElf!

Thanks for the quick reply!

The battle report is very informative and adds greatly to your excellent tactica articles. I believe that combining ideas with real life situations is the best way to show how things can work. I hope you will further expand your revisited version of advices for any aspiring HE general.

All the best!
PapaElf

#45 Post by PapaElf »

I have moved my previous tactics articles to the Great Library of Hoeth. Also have completed Chapter 5 - High Elf Order of Battle.

I am currently writing Chapter 6 - High Elf Missile Troops.
PapaElf
Lord_Stark

#46 Post by Lord_Stark »

Congratulations PapaElf.

I have been reading all your articles (even before you uploaded them into the Library o Hoeth), and all i can say is i do not have the words to express myself. I found all of them really useful, and although i have played for years i never realized about a lot of things you have been writt¡ng down (that is one of the problems when playing dwarves). Now, my mind is more opened to new tactics and different points of view when playing this game. Hope I can improve soon with my quite new HE army and can share it with all of you.

Once again, congratulations, and keep teaching us with your knowledge.

P.S.: Excuse for my English. I try doing my best, but spaniards like me are not used to talk English so often.