3D Printed Bits

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Supernaut

3D Printed Bits

#1 Post by Supernaut »

Hey all, I got myself a decent haul to add to my HIgh Elf collection recently which included some metal Phoenix Guard models. All except the champion are missing their halberds. I'm having some trouble tracking down bits for the metal models so I was wondering if there were any 3D printed replacements out there? Just the STL files would be okay too as I have a friend who's got a 3D printer and is happy to print things for me.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 3D Printed Bits

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Supernaut!

:)

I've a feeling one or two of the guys here have made their own but I can't instantly find anything. I'll have a dig.
MasterOfNone

#3 Post by MasterOfNone »

Since you are talking of metal models missing halberds I assume you are talking about the 6th edition ones.
The best looking version in my opinion.

I have made mine from original parts, with a blue sfuff mould and a cast in a mix of milliput and green stuff.
OK result, passable at a distance but not so much up close.
It is a very manual process and I have since reused to blue stuff to make other moulds.
On the plus side, if you have one usable halberd you can clone it cheaply. You can easily get a single model on eBay for £10 or less. Casting materials will be another £10-20 and you will have far more than you need.

There is another post on cloning phoenix guard halberds where the mould was a much better one, made from silicone, and the results far superior.
The downside is that the technique requires more skill and the material is not reusable.

Edit: My PG are here:
viewtopic.php?p=943260#p943260

I have made nearly no progress since last November, life has got in the way.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Supernaut

#4 Post by Supernaut »

Thanks for the help, might have to look into that myself. Seems like it'd pretty useful for collection OOP things in general.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

I've also worked with blue stuff in the past, and it's easy enough to work with. If you have an example you can copy it fairly easily. It holds details enough for R&F models.

I haven't found 3D print files for them just yet. I'm guessing it's a bit too specific a part for it to be offered online. Would making your own STL file be an option, based on an image?
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.