Kyrus' 6th edition - the Elves from the Isles of Elithis

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Kyrus

Kyrus' 6th edition - the Elves from the Isles of Elithis

#1 Post by Kyrus »

Hey everybody,
I got back into Warhammer Fantasy last year after I stopped with the hobby in 8th edition. Back in the day I lead a Greenskin Waaagh into the field. When I rediscovered my passion I decided to start a fresh army and bought myself some old school High Elves.
I am building a 6th edition army because there i had the most fun playing and the high elves will be good rivals to my orc boys.
It started with the Idea of a simplified colour scheme with the possibility to learn new techniques.
I was fascinated by the squidmar youtube video about basing and the plague reaper with the lantern.
My idea to get back into it and to get a second army relatively quick ready to play, is to build every model of the army with a lantern and just painting them black and white with only the light of the lantern in color. For this I bought myself a airbrush, for the first time.
And so the Elves from the Isles of Elithis where born.
I imagine the Elves from the tower of the rising sun go at the end of the night to war, greeting the first light of the new day with victory. They carry the blue flame of righteousness, guiding the way for every lost soul and burning every evil in there way.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Kyrus' 6th edition - the Elves from the Isles of Elithis

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like a great project. An airbrush is definitely a great help in painting faster, especially if you have a fairly simple color scheme. Though I did find that I often spend as much time cleaning the airbrush as actually painting with it. It's still faster than doing it by hand though. And I got a primer I can spray on with the airbrush, which ends up a lot cheaper than using GW primer from spray cans.

Feel free to share some images of your work. I always love seeing painted models and armies. :)
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Kyrus

#3 Post by Kyrus »

Thanks for the welcome.
Would you mind sharing your preferred brand of primer?
I am still working with black and white citadel primer cans, but playing with the idea of priming through my airbrush.
And of course as requested here are my accomplishments so far.
I'm quite happy with the results and it eases me in for more complex projects. Definitely enjoyed the assembly/ conversion process a lot.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Yes, welcome Kyrus!

:)
Kyrus wrote:And of course as requested here are my accomplishments so far.
Very interesting and unusual. Vaguely reminds me of the way I've seen VC players paint Ethereals.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the pictures :) I like the look. It indeed gives them a bit a ghostly appearance. And you've already got a nice sized force. How many points does that roughly give you to play with?
Kyrus wrote:Would you mind sharing your preferred brand of primer?
I am still working with black and white citadel primer cans, but playing with the idea of priming through my airbrush.
Sure thing. This is what I use:
I got it from a local arts supply store where they stock a fair bit of airbrush stuff and paints. It's a transparent primer for airbrushes by Schmincke (which apparently is a german company). It was around €10 for the bottle when I bought it (which was something like 5 years ago so prices may have changed). Which isn't that much cheaper than the spray cans but it lasts a lot longer. Both that you can paint more models using it, but also in the sense that spray cans can degenerate over time.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Kyrus

#6 Post by Kyrus »

Greetings fellow Asure.
Time flies and many moons have come and gone. Unfortunately I was not as productive in expanding my army as I would have wished for, but nonetheless here are a few pics from my accomplishments.
This forum helped to regrowth my love for Warhammer and with the old world back maby I am able to inspire some upcoming High Elves generals.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's a very unique look to the army. Looks wonderful and interesting. Can we get a group shot at some point? What else are you planning on painting?

Check out my plog

Morgen

#8 Post by Morgen »

Oooh, that does look nice. I really like the use of the long grass.
Anduil of Elithis

#9 Post by Anduil of Elithis »

Quite a rarety to find another army from the Isles of Elithis and then it is such a unique one! Very interesting colour scheme, Kyrus!
You've got more background developed since your first posting?