Lothern Sea Helm based on Ishrann Soulrender.

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

emptyhat

Lothern Sea Helm based on Ishrann Soulrender.

#1 Post by emptyhat »

Good day to you all. I got a voucher recently that let me pick up a couple of random in stock things from Amazon and one of them was the Ishrann Soulrender.

I've got a bunch of old Seaguard models but no Sea Helm and I have an alright supply of HE bits to kitbash. I've also got Lotann Warden of the Soul Ledgers who I just thought was very impressive and wanted to use as a mage embedded in a Seaguard unit.

I'll be posing the main body with some blue tac and parts today to try and find out what works. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed either for cool ideas or represented load out.

The main thing I know I want is to leave out the floating fish and to do a head swap.

I could go either way on the weapon. It looks frickin cool and nautical and the arms for it have the shell armour that matches the body. But it might help sell the HE over Lumineth thing to swap it for a sword arm and a banner pole.

I'll post some WIP and what if pics in a little bit.

Current progress: Main body parts glued, not stuck to a square base yet.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Lothern Sea Helm based on Ishrann Soulrender.

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sounds like a fun project. I think the model gives a good starting point for conversions. I would definitely get rid of the floating fish. That thing just feels weird, as if they had a fish left over and decided to simply stick it on there because it had to go somewhere...

If you want to turn it into a mage, then perhaps changing the weapon might be a good idea. I can imagine he'll still look like a combat character with that spear thing. I don't know if you have something to replace it with. Otherwise, maybe chopping of the blade of the weapon and replacing it with something like a crystal or orb could work. Another thing to consider is to do more with the base. It's fairly simple with just his foot raised a bit, but you should have some space to work with. Maybe add some more rocks to it or something like that. Or perhaps rocks and some water. I think one of our members did something similar with his sea guard models, which had waves crashing into their bases. It looked amazing. I just can't remember who it was, otherwise I'd retrieve them for you.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
emptyhat

#3 Post by emptyhat »

I might have seen that basing thing before (but if you find the pics I'd love a link). At the moment my part painted Seaguard are on more traditional basing. But I have a box of unpainted seaguard and I have been thinking about going the wave route with them. With a transition of the front ranks in the water, mid ranks on the beach, and the final ranks on the land (if it gets used in horde formation). But yeah the waves and the rock is definitely the way to go with the Sea Helm.

Ditching the fish and keeping it as a 'nice bit' for another project is the sensible thing to do. But lets explore the madness place:

https://imgur.com/DweB5Il

How about cutting the head off and clipping some of the other parts so that it fits in the middle of an Annointed's helemt and makes it all fish themed. We'll cut out the middle of the helmet and replace it with the fish body so that the dorsal fin faces outwards the same way the elf's face is pointing. Big downside is it could look too organic in the end.

https://imgur.com/K6XpTHM

Pictured with a more sensible helm here. I can get a bow and quiver and maybe a cape on him but it is a bit of a tight fit.

I could also drop the cape and the bow and use this spear and helm bit I think comes from the bolt thrower kit.

https://imgur.com/NWdJfvk

I've tried posing the model with a few different weapons but so far the only thing that really works with rank and file is the Annointed's halberd (on foot version) and maybe a Phoenix guard halberd. So I think defaulting to the hook is how it is going to be.

The mage thing is for a different model I received when it first came out Lotann:

https://i.imgur.com/z0AFI8H.jpg

His problem is that he's way to big for a 20mm base and needs the 40mm square. On the other hand I can build it up as a rock pool and use him as 'filler' representing himself and 3 absent Seaguard. Possibly have him as detachable so that if the unit dwindles to the front rank I can place him on a 20mm (that won't have to rank up against rear ranks at that point. I guess I could also buy a second model and vandalise the octopus off of it to make a beaten up version for when his bunker has been cracked.
Azaam

#4 Post by Azaam »

Looks interesting ! I really like the aesthetic of these Idoneth Deepkins and the model you chose could really fit in a Lothern unit.

For the Sea helm / Isharan model, I think the helm with the dragon head is a better fit (very similar to the seaguard shield) but maybe you could replace the wing with something more "fishy".
For his weapon, maybe you could chop the hook and the strings from the original one and replace it with the head of a halberd ? In this way, he'll keep the dynamic pose and have something a bit more interesting than the simple spear.
Also if you plan to use a water effect for the base, you could use the top of your fish like a shark fin popping out of the water.

For the mage / Lotan Warden, you could get rid of the octopus, swap the head with something with a tiara and call it done. I guess it would also fit on a 20mm base this way.
But I'm sure there's plenty of other ways to make it look better.

Anyway, continue sharing your pictures and progress here. We'll be happy to share our thoughts with you.
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
emptyhat

#5 Post by emptyhat »

Azaam wrote:Looks interesting ! I really like the aesthetic of these Idoneth Deepkins and the model you chose could really fit in a Lothern unit.

For the Sea helm / Isharan model, I think the helm with the dragon head is a better fit (very similar to the seaguard shield) but maybe you could replace the wing with something more "fishy".
For his weapon, maybe you could chop the hook and the strings from the original one and replace it with the head of a halberd ? In this way, he'll keep the dynamic pose and have something a bit more interesting than the simple spear.
Also if you plan to use a water effect for the base, you could use the top of your fish like a shark fin popping out of the water.

For the mage / Lotan Warden, you could get rid of the octopus, swap the head with something with a tiara and call it done. I guess it would also fit on a 20mm base this way.
But I'm sure there's plenty of other ways to make it look better.

Anyway, continue sharing your pictures and progress here. We'll be happy to share our thoughts with you.
I think you are right about the dragon head. It does really fit with the Lothern shields. I'm going to leave Lotann as is, the Octopus is far too cool to cut, I'm leaning to keeping the hook it is ridiculous and awesome. and I think the head cape and bow are pushing my elf far enough into Fantasy aesthetic.

Too bad about the Idoneth though. When they first came out I was really impressed at the heroes and even the madness of the flying fish was balanced by the desire to play a literal sharknado of flyers. But the thralls design for the troops... just kills it for me.
emptyhat

#6 Post by emptyhat »

Ok. I think this is the parts build I'm going with. I'll see about milliputting the rockpool onto the base later today but after that it probably won't see an update for a while because I really should get back to painting rank and file first (then again it van be nice to take a break and paint a character so it might jump the queue).

Arms are glued on, hopefully that won't be a big issue painting the armour but the weapon is fairly thin and spaced. I've left the cape, shield and bow and head taced for now to help provide access after it gets sprayed.
https://imgur.com/1Yc7TSn

Angle 2
https://imgur.com/ypWovUV
Angle 3
https://imgur.com/1klmFOz

Embedded in the unit to make sure it still fits.
https://imgur.com/6Fg5dFO
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

He looks great. He fits the unit really well (in how he looks I mean, he also looks like a nightmare to actuall rank up...). The dragon helm is great on him. I look forward to seeing him painted.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
TyrrenAzureblade

#8 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

That is a formidable looking elf! Going to look great painted up!