Fitzlock's High Elves - The Glittering Host of Avelorn

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

MasterOfNone

Re: Fitzlock's High Elves - The Glittering Host of Avelorn

#91 Post by MasterOfNone »

Really good, I have to say.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#92 Post by Prince of Spires »

The blue gem does work very well. Good job! It really jumps out like this. Very lovely.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
fitzlock

#93 Post by fitzlock »

Well, I changed the gems again and this time I'm happy with them as they're a pretty good match to the box art. If anyone is curious, the recipe was:

Sotek Green base, a glaze of black to the top, a glaze of Temple Guard Blue to the bottom, add a bit of white to the Temple Guard Blue and do an edge highlight, then glaze some Waywatcher Green over the gem to boost the green values and white dots for light reflections. Super thinned Warpstone Green contrast paint would probably work just as well.

Instagram: @Fitzlock86
Accepting commissions for character models only.
Check out my Plog: The Glittering Host of Avelorn
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#94 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's a lot of work on the gems. And it's well worth it. They look great and really add something to the model. The cloak turned out very nicely as well. It's a lovely model and you've done it justice.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#95 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:It's a lovely model
This is a funny one for me because I don't like it at all! I do like the paint job though, the details stand out beautifully.
fitzlock

#96 Post by fitzlock »

Hey guys, it's been a while - how is everyone doing?

I've struggled with painting motivation recently due to warm weather and a couple of rough weeks in general, but I've managed to pick up a brush and paint bravely to finish Alarielle. I'm not 100% happy but most of the issues I have with it are down to the sculpt/finecast and out of my control since I'm not a master sculptor. She reads well at tabletop distance which is the main thing and I'm glad to have finished a model that intimidated me for so long.

Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
MasterOfNone

#97 Post by MasterOfNone »

I think the paint work is consistent to your very high standard.
As you said, it looks like a difficult miniature to paint, and you did an excellent job.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Azaam

#98 Post by Azaam »

Beautiful work !
I really like what you did with the clothes. The highlights and shadows are great.
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#99 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:15 pm most of the issues I have with it are down to the sculpt/finecast
How did you make this model look so good.
fitzlock

#100 Post by fitzlock »

SpellArcher wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:01 pm
fitzlock wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:15 pm most of the issues I have with it are down to the sculpt/finecast
How did you make this model look so good.
I'm not sure I did, but I'll accept the compliment!

Moving on from Alarielle I'm working on finishing some models that have been unfinished for too long, starting with a Lothern Sea Helm which I'm very pleased with. I've since moved on to the Isle of Blood Griffon, working on the feathers at the moment which is driving me mad. I'd previously considered the rider finished but this was done a while ago and bluntly I've improved since then. I'm now I'm wondering if I should change the wings on the helm to the alternating green/white pattern seen throughout my army in similar places. I'm also considering changing the cone part of the helmet to silver from gold.

MasterOfNone

#101 Post by MasterOfNone »

The Sea Helm is very good, but what really blows my mind is the wood from the Prince Althran's lance.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
fitzlock

#102 Post by fitzlock »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:15 am The Sea Helm is very good, but what really blows my mind is the wood from the Prince Althran's lance.
Check out JuanHidalgo Miniatures on Youtube, I used his tutorial for freehand woodgrain (and plenty more).

I decided to go back and change the wings on the helmet to green and white and I think it was the right decision. I think I need to add some more definition to the gold armor, so I might try a recess shade with a glaze made from Gor Grunta Fur contrast or something similar. Still contemplating changing the cone of the helmet to silver instead of gold.
PXL_20210818_211630179.jpg
PXL_20210818_211630179.jpg (224.55 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#103 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:12 pm I decided to go back and change the wings on the helmet to green and white and I think it was the right decision.
Absolutely.
MasterOfNone

#104 Post by MasterOfNone »

Will give a look at those videos, and +1 about the wings.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#105 Post by Elithmar »

All those models look great. That alternate green and white on the helmet and elsewhere - the sea helm etc. too - works fantastically. And you’ve really done justice to the handmaiden, which personally I think is one of the best HE models ever (may be disputed!). =D>
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
fitzlock

#106 Post by fitzlock »

Hiya folks, couple of updates. Working through models I've half-painted and abandoned, so first up is the now 100% finished Griffon. Really pleased with how he came out.
PXL_20210825_194621801.jpg
PXL_20210825_194621801.jpg (285.76 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
After finishing the big birb, I went on and finished off the Archmage on elemental base, one of the only female character models in the range. I really like this one. I may have more mages than I need but I like each one for different lores. :)
PXL_20210825_214011661~2.jpg
PXL_20210825_214011661~2.jpg (882.02 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
PXL_20210825_214717389.jpg
PXL_20210825_214717389.jpg (301.97 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
Next I think I'll knuckle down and get my Silver Helms finished. I don't really want to but the sooner they're done the sooner I can start to have fun with cavalry lists.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#107 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:30 pm I really like this one. I may have more mages than I need but I like each one for different lores.
Very nice! You can never have too many mages.
fitzlock

#108 Post by fitzlock »

SpellArcher wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:28 pm
fitzlock wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:30 pm I really like this one. I may have more mages than I need but I like each one for different lores.
Very nice! You can never have too many mages.
Haha, I'm actually tempted to go all the way up to 9 or 10 so that I have one for each Lore :P I'm not 100% on how many different sculpts there are though. I've seen some people do lovely galaxy-style cloak designs for Lore of Heavens mages.
fitzlock

#109 Post by fitzlock »

Going to try and get some Great Eagles painted before Tuesday as I have a game with a new opponent that I found recently. Pics to follow as I'm on mobile at the moment and being told the files are too large for attachments!

On that note, any general tips for facing Bretonnians? #-o
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#110 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:25 pm On that note, any general tips for facing Bretonnians?
Watch out for very long charges from the Lances. There’s at least one Virtue that gives +D6" on the first charge. It can be worth dropping an Eagle or two in front of enemy characters just to trigger this. Also the Falcon Horn, stops all enemies flying for a turn. Their magic defence is strong with effectively a second Dispel Scroll and innate MR on the wizards, plus the 5+ Ward from the Blessing of course.
fitzlock

#111 Post by fitzlock »

Unfortunately the game against Bretonnians did not go well. A few rule errors realized after the game had concluded (we did the Initiative test on Pit of Shades backwards for some reason, all but one Knight of the Realm should have died instead of only one) combined with utterly atrocious luck on my end with dice led to a pretty decisive loss. Some of that is down to still being relatively new to the game and certainly my unfamiliarity with Bretonnians, so I look forward to playing the matchup again and learning how to play it better.

With that aside, here's the two Giant Eagles I speed painted for the game, and one of them did excellent work getting in the way of the Knights Errant and forcing restrain checks every turn. They take a drybrush very well so they didn't take long to do. They're the Middle Earth models as I really dislike the metal eagles GW released back in the day.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#112 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:35 pm Some of that is down to still being relatively new to the game and certainly my unfamiliarity with Bretonnians, so I look forward to playing the matchup again and learning how to play it better.
Bretonnians are rarely seen and do have their own distinctive playstyle, so this makes a lot of sense.
fitzlock wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:35 pm With that aside, here's the two Giant Eagles I speed painted for the game
Unspectacular but nicely executed!
fitzlock

#113 Post by fitzlock »

Finally finished my Silver Helms and Prince. I have 11 knights including command, any more will need to be unit filler or I'll go without. I can't paint any more of these, they were a complete slog and almost killed my enthusiasm and motivation for the project completely. It was like I'd hit a wall. I started them as far back as June and kept putting them down for weeks or a month at a time because I wasn't enjoying myself at all. I am considering replacing the banner, though, as I think it's too big. I am nearing the end of the army, though, with these now finished.

Remaining Models
Sisters of Avelorn x20
Dragon Princes x10
Ellyrian Reavers x5
Tiranoc Chariot x1
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower x2 (one is mostly done)
Prince Althran on Foot
Hero with Axe
Hero with Longbow
Alith Anar, the Shadow King
Eltharion the Grim
Tyrion, Defender of Ulthuan
Prince Imrik 4E
Prince Imrik 6E

cjX6dRe.jpg
cjX6dRe.jpg (151.73 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
sMEfuiE.jpg
sMEfuiE.jpg (177.95 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#114 Post by SpellArcher »

fitzlock wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:05 am Finally finished my Silver Helms and Prince.
Bravo Fitzlock!

:)

I really like the Grecian crests and the way you’ve done them.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#115 Post by Prince of Spires »

fitzlock wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:05 am I can't paint any more of these, they were a complete slog and almost killed my enthusiasm and motivation for the project completely. It was like I'd hit a wall. I started them as far back as June and kept putting them down for weeks or a month at a time because I wasn't enjoying myself at all.
(elven) horses tend to have that effect on people... Not sure what it is about cavalry, since it feels like a horse shouldn't be that much harder to paint (or perhaps even easier). But somehow they take a long time and are just plain boring to paint (or something like that at least).

It must be said though that you've managed to get a great end result. The green and grey work very well together. They're definitely a great personal bodyguard made of young nobles. So well done.

And you're almost done with your army. Just 3 more units and a bunch of characters and warmachines. Impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of the finished army. Any plans for what comes after that?

Check out my plog

fitzlock

#116 Post by fitzlock »

SpellArcher wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:18 pm Bravo Fitzlock!

:)

I really like the Grecian crests and the way you’ve done them.
Thank you! I love the old metal command models, they're so much nicer in my opinion. Plus they allowed me to turn my box of 8 into a unit of 11. :)
Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:25 am (elven) horses tend to have that effect on people... Not sure what it is about cavalry, since it feels like a horse shouldn't be that much harder to paint (or perhaps even easier). But somehow they take a long time and are just plain boring to paint (or something like that at least).

It must be said though that you've managed to get a great end result. The green and grey work very well together. They're definitely a great personal bodyguard made of young nobles. So well done.

And you're almost done with your army. Just 3 more units and a bunch of characters and warmachines. Impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of the finished army. Any plans for what comes after that?
Thanks, Rod, much appreciated. I agree, you'd think horses would be easy but the reality is they're super frustrating to paint. The good thing is I don't think I'd need more unless I wanted to run a second unit, which I don't think I do (or care enough to bother about). On the assumption that I'm running them 5x3 with characters (I forgot the minimum was 5 to claim a rank bonus), I just need to do one piece of filler on a cavalry base to fill the gap. I have 11 Helms total, plus 3 characters (Prince, Noble BSB, and Mage). I did forget two other outstanding models for the army, so add a Flamespyre Phoenix and the plastic Dragon Lord/Archmage kit with magnetized riders to the list!

I will be sure to provide some comprehensive army shots when everything is completed. As for what comes next, I'd like to get my Adepta Sororitas painted so that I can learn 40K since some friends only play that (or Kill Team) and not fantasy. In terms of what's next for fantasy, I have three armies waiting in the wings: Night Goblins, Lizardmen, and Dark Elves. In the interest of painting something completely different, I think I'm going to go for the Lizardmen for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they're a relatively low model count army, so less total miniatures to paint. Secondly, a friend is going to start painting their Warriors of Chaos army at the same time and they're pretty even on the model count so it'll be fun to motivate each other I hope. Thirdly, they're mostly two colors (blue and gold) which will be a welcome reprieve from the pink flesh and white robes and silver armor and gold detail and green cloth of my high elves. Finally, dinosaurs are pretty rad, let's be real.
fitzlock

#117 Post by fitzlock »

Hi folks, back with another quick update. I decided to reward myself for finishing the Silver Helms by painting a character model and I already had Alith Anar primed so that's what I went with. :lol: I love painting heroes or characters, I can really get lost in the details and take my time to get the best result possible. I tried a new approach on the weapon runes to give a glowing effect and I think it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. He's got a super weird face sculpt, but otherwise a pretty nice model. I'll try bringing him in a game soon just to try out the mobile S7 bolt thrower. 8) Not sure what's next up, maybe 4E Prince Imrik since he's partially painted already.
PXL_20211010_175038517.jpg
PXL_20211010_175038517.jpg (210.03 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
PXL_20211010_175057495.jpg
PXL_20211010_175057495.jpg (214.77 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#118 Post by Prince of Spires »

I love Alith Anar as a fiction character. He's just such a bad-ass figure. He's also on my "Models to try in an army" list of models. I've even already got a list for him (which pushes the shadow warrior factor heavily) here: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=88348 Now all I need is some time to actually play the game... Let us know how he works out for you.

The model looks great as well. I like how he is different from the SH but still fits with them. The dark grey's really give the "Shadow king" vibe, but I like the green trim to match him with your army. The runes on his sword look pretty good for a first attempt. I would perhaps give the runes themselves a slightly different color form the metal, to make them stand out more. Now the sword glows around the runes, but the runes themselves kind of blend in with the metal of the sword.

Also, nice nail-polish ;)

Check out my plog

MasterOfNone

#119 Post by MasterOfNone »

I really like the stealth tones, they fit well with the character. =D>
And as usual, very slick brush work.
I have just got myself an airbrush, so I hope I'll be able to post better blended models soon :D
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Azaam

#120 Post by Azaam »

Great paint job, as usual ! Coming from you, I was actually expecting more green :D
I love this model, I think it's very well done with a dynamic pose even if the face looks kinda weird. Sadly I couldn't find one at a decent price and it wasn't in the list of my "friend living in Eastern Europe who has access to a lot of models" ...

I'm pretty impressed by the glowing effect. I agree with Prince of Spires on the runes but I'm pretty sure I couldn't even paint some half as good as you did so ... :roll:

Also I didn't comment on the SH but they look amazing. I especially like the the color scheme and the depth of the shields !
But that's too bad that you're having a hard times with cavalry because I'd love to see your attempt at the Dragon Princes ! I'm sure they would look marvellous with your green color scheme !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog