Ulthuan Rallies for War

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Azaam

Re: Ulthuan Rallies for War

#91 Post by Azaam »

It's always nice to see your paintjob, Tyrren ! Very clean, it fits perfectly with the High Elves aesthetics !
What did you think of the Ellyrian reavers ? Same fatigue as everyone ?
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
TyrrenAzureblade

#92 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Hahaha Absolutely. They are so rich in detail, particularly the alternating blue/white sashes. In the time it took me to paint one Reaver, I painted six Swordmasters. But I was actually motivated by your beautiful unit of Reavers to get them finished and not cut corners, because when they're done, they do actually look pretty stunning.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#93 Post by Prince of Spires »

Haha, that really does seem like a near-universal feeling. They're great models, but you do have to play "find the gem" with them... You did a great job on both the reavers and swordmasters. Thanks for sharing them!
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#94 Post by Seredain »

Tyrren, the army looks fantastic. It's great to see some real battle photos.

I appreciate the balancing kids / minis problem... That's tricky. I suppose you could serialise your batreps. Like early Dickens novels. SA does this. I'm thinking about stealing the method myself so we don't end up with the 1 batrep per 8 weeks problem.

Cheers!

S
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
TyrrenAzureblade

#95 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Seredain wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:58 am Tyrren, the army looks fantastic. It's great to see some real battle photos.

I appreciate the balancing kids / minis problem... That's tricky. I suppose you could serialise your batreps. Like early Dickens novels. SA does this. I'm thinking about stealing the method myself so we don't end up with the 1 batrep per 8 weeks problem.

Cheers!

S
Y'know, that isn't a bad idea. I think we're finally getting comfortable enough with the rules that we're picking up the pace, and not getting hung up on looking things up all the time. This might afford us the time to photograph the turns better. Now the problem is finding the time to play consistently.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#96 Post by SpellArcher »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:40 pm Y'know, that isn't a bad idea.
Another advantage is that it’s less to digest at once if someone wants to read and post a quick comment. Nice Reavers BTW.

:)
Olthannon

#97 Post by Olthannon »

Great to see some updates, congratulations on the Battle victories! Love the dragon, I must have just missed that when I went AWOL!
One foot in the hobby
TyrrenAzureblade

#98 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Olthannon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:09 pm Great to see some updates, congratulations on the Battle victories! Love the dragon, I must have just missed that when I went AWOL!
Thanks Olthannon, glad to see you back on the boards and painting!
I've been meaning to paint some of these for a while now, but just haven't been able to make the time. Now I've got 5 Shadow Warriors, with 5 more to go. The Shadow-walker was actually painted by my friend. In exchange I painted a grey seer for him.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#99 Post by SpellArcher »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:03 am The Shadow-walker was actually painted by my friend.
He fits in pretty well Tyrren.
TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:03 am In exchange I painted a grey seer for him.
Very striking.
TyrrenAzureblade

#100 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Thanks SA, now I've gotta wait for Prince of Spires to finish his thread on Shadow Warriors viability and see what conclusions he draws from everyone's input!
Azaam

#101 Post by Azaam »

Wow, I love what you did with the Grey Seer ! The highlights, the glowing effects ... amazing !
Also we don't see a lot of skaven around so it's nice to see some from time to time.
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Olthannon

#102 Post by Olthannon »

Love the shadow warriors, look very neat as a unit. But the grey seer, wow! That's actually a really cool model. Skaven were my second army and I've got a secret love for all giant rats!
One foot in the hobby
TyrrenAzureblade

#103 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Thanks again, folks! I'm with you Olthannon, I was only financially able to start collecting Warhammer right when the 8th edition starter box arrived, with High Elves and Skaven. I took the High Elf half and my friend took the Skaven half. I've always wanted to have a complete Island of Blood set for myself, and I finally have one, just need to paint up the Skaven half.
TyrrenAzureblade

#104 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Finally got ten of these Island of Blood Lothern Sea Guard. Holy hell, they're awesome models, but much like the Reavers, they are PACKED with detail. I've never spent so much time on rank and file infantry. And I've got thirty more...
Anyway, here are the first ten, basing still needs to be done, but after these guys, I'm taking a break from the hobby this weekend. I'll base them later.

MasterOfNone

#105 Post by MasterOfNone »

Your painting style is really clean and effective
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Olthannon

#106 Post by Olthannon »

Nice stuff Tyrren, particularly like the detail on the waves!
One foot in the hobby
Azaam

#107 Post by Azaam »

Amazing job as usual !
They feel even more contrasted then before. Did you use more wash on the recess ? Or maybe paint a darker line between the surfaces ?
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
TyrrenAzureblade

#108 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Azaam wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:07 pm Amazing job as usual !
They feel even more contrasted then before. Did you use more wash on the recess ? Or maybe paint a darker line between the surfaces ?
Thanks guys, appreciate it! And nope, same colors and washes I've been using for my entire army, usually it's a lighting thing that makes 'em look more contrasted. Once my army is complete, I do want to rig up a DIY photo lightbox to try and get some more accurate shots of the colors and paint jobs.
elendor_f

#109 Post by elendor_f »

I have been taking a look to your entire thread and it was a joy to look at your models. Really clean painting a nice colours, well done!
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
TyrrenAzureblade

#110 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

elendor_f wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:36 pm I have been taking a look to your entire thread and it was a joy to look at your models. Really clean painting a nice colours, well done!
Thanks Elendor! Been a pleasure seeing your recent activity in the painting forum. I've slowed down drastically lately, and I think it's time for a break. I've got a sizeable force that I can make some pretty varied lists with, and there are only a couple of things I want to try out, those being Sisters of Avelorn, and a Frostheart Phoenix. Maybe before the end of the year I'll get those painted up, but for now, I'll probably get some pictures of my progress so far and post those before I go on a hiatus, and start thinking about a Lumineth army for AoS.
elendor_f

#111 Post by elendor_f »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:01 pm Thanks Elendor! Been a pleasure seeing your recent activity in the painting forum. I've slowed down drastically lately, and I think it's time for a break. I've got a sizeable force that I can make some pretty varied lists with, and there are only a couple of things I want to try out, those being Sisters of Avelorn, and a Frostheart Phoenix. Maybe before the end of the year I'll get those painted up, but for now, I'll probably get some pictures of my progress so far and post those before I go on a hiatus, and start thinking about a Lumineth army for AoS.
Thanks Tyrren!
Definitely time for a break if you feel drained, and you definitely have a nice and very varied army.
Let us know how your AoS experiences go, and I think a grop picture would be great before you take a break :D
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

TyrrenAzureblade

#112 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Like stated a few posts back, I'm taking a bit of a breather for the end of the year and for the foreseeable future. It's been a year and a half of collecting, assembling, and painting and I can say I'm very happy with my current collection. There's still so much to be done, so many eyes left unpainted, along with those blasted gems, and whenever I'm bored, I'll try and pick up a few models, put on some music, zone out and paint some eyes and gems. For now though, they're good enough for the tabletop and I'm looking forward to getting them into some games. It's roughly 5k points without fancy upgrades, so I'm sure I could easily field a 6k point grand army, which would be pretty damn fun. Not sure if I'd have enough core to actually make it legal though... I'll have to throw it all into Battlescribe to find out. If not, there's still 2500 points of unpainted elves I can maybe be bothered to paint if anybody actually wants to attempt a battle that large or even larger.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words and support throughout this journey, it's meant a lot to me. I'll eventually get back to the rest of my collection once we're closer to The Old World, for which I'm very excited about, but for now, I'm glad to be putting the brush away and being "done".

The "final" army stands at:
1 Tyrion
1 Teclis
1 Prince on dragon
1 Prince on griffon
1 Prince on barded steed
1 Archmage
1 Mage on steed
1 Noble (BSB)
1 Loremaster of Hoeth
30 Spearmen with full command
10 Lothern Sea Guard with full command
10 Silverhelms with shields and full command
30 Archers with musicians
5 Ellyrian Reavers with harbinger
33 Swordmasters with full command
20 Phoenix guard with full command
20 White Lions with full command
10 Dragon Princes with full command
5 Shadow warriors with Shadow-walker
2 Eagle Claw bolt throwers
2 Great Eagles

How it started:
elendor_f

#113 Post by elendor_f »

Wow, what a journey :D Congratulations and a well deserved break!

I really like how the army looks like, it's very coherent while its unit has its own personality, and I love the clean painting. And, as you said, you can always get some extra details done once in a while.
Let us know when you play some games!
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#114 Post by SpellArcher »

Did you consider adding a phoenix Tyrren?
elendor_f wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:34 pm I really like how the army looks like
Me too, it's quite something. It looks kind of 'natural' if that makes sense.
TyrrenAzureblade

#115 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

SpellArcher wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:19 pm Did you consider adding a phoenix Tyrren?
I actually have a phoenix assembled, and partially primed, but I need to magnetize it so I can field it as a regular Frostheart, or Caradryan on Ashtari. Maybe once I get back to it, that'll be the model I start with.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#116 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with the others. It's a great looking army indeed.

If you ever do get that 6k points battle played let us know; it will look epic! I don't think min-core will matter all that much at that points level. I think the game probably breaks as a tactical game above 3.5k or 4k points anyway and it becomes more about shoving units forward and rolling lots of dice. The game board becomes so big that what happens on one side has little to no influence on what happens on the other (except maybe something like an avalanche of army wide panic for O&G, which would make for a short game but it would be epic...). And General and BSB become less important overall, but more important to position in the right place. So go for it. You could even work with a reinforcements kind of idea, where you play a 7k or 8k game while only starting with 6k on the board. Any core units killed then respawn until you get to the point where you would have made min-core.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
TyrrenAzureblade

#117 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Prince of Spires wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:13 pm I agree with the others. It's a great looking army indeed.

If you ever do get that 6k points battle played let us know; it will look epic! I don't think min-core will matter all that much at that points level. I think the game probably breaks as a tactical game above 3.5k or 4k points anyway and it becomes more about shoving units forward and rolling lots of dice. The game board becomes so big that what happens on one side has little to no influence on what happens on the other (except maybe something like an avalanche of army wide panic for O&G, which would make for a short game but it would be epic...). And General and BSB become less important overall, but more important to position in the right place. So go for it. You could even work with a reinforcements kind of idea, where you play a 7k or 8k game while only starting with 6k on the board. Any core units killed then respawn until you get to the point where you would have made min-core.
Oooooh, interesting. That sounds like a great idea to keep the clutter down. I still don't have an opponent that can field those kinds of points yet, but maybe with that "respawn" addendum, could work starting at 2k, with everything else in "reserve". I'll definitely let you all know if I have that kind of epic battle, but it probably won't be for some time, if at all. In the mean time, my friend has updated his gaming table so we can keep our game-state safe from his roving cats and toddlers, so hopefully we'll get some better documented battle reports posted up here!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#118 Post by Prince of Spires »

I look forward to the battle reports appearing!

I think in the back of the BRB there's also a "Last stand" scenario, where one side has half the points of the other, and you have different victory conditions. Something like that could also work. I also remember that there have been some scenario's in White Dwarf (back when there was still some hobby content in there), with mismatched points. Like "defend the hill" or one side only brings characters. That sort of thing. Maybe Spell Archer knows. He always seems able to dig up those kinds of trivia.

The main thing with battles on that scale or with mis-matched points is to keep in mind that it's all meant to be fun. There's no point in trying to create the ultimate 6k points list. As long as you keep that in mind than you should be good to go.

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#119 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:36 pm Like "defend the hill" or one side only brings characters.
The Warhammer 1st Edition boxed rules featured a scenario called 'The Ziggurat of Doom'. A band of heroic Dwarf characters had to defend the steps against a never ending Goblin assault.
TyrrenAzureblade

#120 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

I think I remember reading that on a PDF. I feel like there's another similar scenario where the defenders are set to a certain amount of points and the attackers just keep coming. I think the win condition for the defenders is to have at least one single surviving unit on the table by turn 6? It could very well be the same scenario but presented in another document. Either way, that does sound like a fun scenario to attempt.