Ulthuan Rallies for War

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Loremasters, The Heralds

Azaam

Re: Ulthuan Rallies for War

#91 Post by Azaam »

It's always nice to see your paintjob, Tyrren ! Very clean, it fits perfectly with the High Elves aesthetics !
What did you think of the Ellyrian reavers ? Same fatigue as everyone ?

TyrrenAzureblade

#92 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Hahaha Absolutely. They are so rich in detail, particularly the alternating blue/white sashes. In the time it took me to paint one Reaver, I painted six Swordmasters. But I was actually motivated by your beautiful unit of Reavers to get them finished and not cut corners, because when they're done, they do actually look pretty stunning.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#93 Post by Prince of Spires »

Haha, that really does seem like a near-universal feeling. They're great models, but you do have to play "find the gem" with them... You did a great job on both the reavers and swordmasters. Thanks for sharing them!
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.

Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#94 Post by Seredain »

Tyrren, the army looks fantastic. It's great to see some real battle photos.

I appreciate the balancing kids / minis problem... That's tricky. I suppose you could serialise your batreps. Like early Dickens novels. SA does this. I'm thinking about stealing the method myself so we don't end up with the 1 batrep per 8 weeks problem.

Cheers!

S
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584

TyrrenAzureblade

#95 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Seredain wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:58 am
Tyrren, the army looks fantastic. It's great to see some real battle photos.

I appreciate the balancing kids / minis problem... That's tricky. I suppose you could serialise your batreps. Like early Dickens novels. SA does this. I'm thinking about stealing the method myself so we don't end up with the 1 batrep per 8 weeks problem.

Cheers!

S
Y'know, that isn't a bad idea. I think we're finally getting comfortable enough with the rules that we're picking up the pace, and not getting hung up on looking things up all the time. This might afford us the time to photograph the turns better. Now the problem is finding the time to play consistently.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#96 Post by SpellArcher »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:40 pm
Y'know, that isn't a bad idea.
Another advantage is that it’s less to digest at once if someone wants to read and post a quick comment. Nice Reavers BTW.

:)

Olthannon

#97 Post by Olthannon »

Great to see some updates, congratulations on the Battle victories! Love the dragon, I must have just missed that when I went AWOL!
One foot in the hobby

TyrrenAzureblade

#98 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Olthannon wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:09 pm
Great to see some updates, congratulations on the Battle victories! Love the dragon, I must have just missed that when I went AWOL!
Thanks Olthannon, glad to see you back on the boards and painting!
I've been meaning to paint some of these for a while now, but just haven't been able to make the time. Now I've got 5 Shadow Warriors, with 5 more to go. The Shadow-walker was actually painted by my friend. In exchange I painted a grey seer for him.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#99 Post by SpellArcher »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:03 am
The Shadow-walker was actually painted by my friend.
He fits in pretty well Tyrren.
TyrrenAzureblade wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:03 am
In exchange I painted a grey seer for him.
Very striking.

TyrrenAzureblade

#100 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Thanks SA, now I've gotta wait for Prince of Spires to finish his thread on Shadow Warriors viability and see what conclusions he draws from everyone's input!

Azaam

#101 Post by Azaam »

Wow, I love what you did with the Grey Seer ! The highlights, the glowing effects ... amazing !
Also we don't see a lot of skaven around so it's nice to see some from time to time.

Olthannon

#102 Post by Olthannon »

Love the shadow warriors, look very neat as a unit. But the grey seer, wow! That's actually a really cool model. Skaven were my second army and I've got a secret love for all giant rats!
One foot in the hobby

TyrrenAzureblade

#103 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Thanks again, folks! I'm with you Olthannon, I was only financially able to start collecting Warhammer right when the 8th edition starter box arrived, with High Elves and Skaven. I took the High Elf half and my friend took the Skaven half. I've always wanted to have a complete Island of Blood set for myself, and I finally have one, just need to paint up the Skaven half.

TyrrenAzureblade

#104 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Finally got ten of these Island of Blood Lothern Sea Guard. Holy hell, they're awesome models, but much like the Reavers, they are PACKED with detail. I've never spent so much time on rank and file infantry. And I've got thirty more...
Anyway, here are the first ten, basing still needs to be done, but after these guys, I'm taking a break from the hobby this weekend. I'll base them later.

MasterOfNone

#105 Post by MasterOfNone »

Your painting style is really clean and effective
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins

Olthannon

#106 Post by Olthannon »

Nice stuff Tyrren, particularly like the detail on the waves!
One foot in the hobby

Azaam

#107 Post by Azaam »

Amazing job as usual !
They feel even more contrasted then before. Did you use more wash on the recess ? Or maybe paint a darker line between the surfaces ?

TyrrenAzureblade

#108 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Azaam wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:07 pm
Amazing job as usual !
They feel even more contrasted then before. Did you use more wash on the recess ? Or maybe paint a darker line between the surfaces ?
Thanks guys, appreciate it! And nope, same colors and washes I've been using for my entire army, usually it's a lighting thing that makes 'em look more contrasted. Once my army is complete, I do want to rig up a DIY photo lightbox to try and get some more accurate shots of the colors and paint jobs.

elendor_f

#109 Post by elendor_f »

I have been taking a look to your entire thread and it was a joy to look at your models. Really clean painting a nice colours, well done!
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/

TyrrenAzureblade

#110 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

elendor_f wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:36 pm
I have been taking a look to your entire thread and it was a joy to look at your models. Really clean painting a nice colours, well done!
Thanks Elendor! Been a pleasure seeing your recent activity in the painting forum. I've slowed down drastically lately, and I think it's time for a break. I've got a sizeable force that I can make some pretty varied lists with, and there are only a couple of things I want to try out, those being Sisters of Avelorn, and a Frostheart Phoenix. Maybe before the end of the year I'll get those painted up, but for now, I'll probably get some pictures of my progress so far and post those before I go on a hiatus, and start thinking about a Lumineth army for AoS.

elendor_f

#111 Post by elendor_f »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:01 pm
Thanks Elendor! Been a pleasure seeing your recent activity in the painting forum. I've slowed down drastically lately, and I think it's time for a break. I've got a sizeable force that I can make some pretty varied lists with, and there are only a couple of things I want to try out, those being Sisters of Avelorn, and a Frostheart Phoenix. Maybe before the end of the year I'll get those painted up, but for now, I'll probably get some pictures of my progress so far and post those before I go on a hiatus, and start thinking about a Lumineth army for AoS.
Thanks Tyrren!
Definitely time for a break if you feel drained, and you definitely have a nice and very varied army.
Let us know how your AoS experiences go, and I think a grop picture would be great before you take a break :D
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/