The Dawn of New Caledor

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Icarion

The Dawn of New Caledor

#1 Post by Icarion »

Greetings dear Elven-Lords and -Ladies (if there are some here),

i just realized, that i am almost 7 years in this forum, reading, posting, mostly looking for inspiration and elven lore plus other peoples stuff, but now it´s about time to get to work and let some models follow all the blabla i did here...

why so late, you might ask?
Well, my start here was around the time the Old World was going towards it´s (imho bitter) end, so my elves were sleeping in their box-tombs until the day i get some rules i can (and want to) work with and now that time has come.

The "Masterplan" is, to set up 6 armies, each having around 2000points (yes, i have most of the stuff except for the Lumineth elves), each designed and coloured after their Lord´s dragon. I remember one inspiring post in this forum, where there was a discussion about the colours of dragons, so the armies will be made after a Firedragon, an Icedragon, a Forestdragon, a Shadowdragon and an Amethyst-Dragon plus (which is essentially a Firedragon according to lore, but i still want to have it separately, cus it fits the Lumineth-Elves theme of light and gold and all that) a Sundragon, which i am going to start with. I have to admit, that i have said byebye to the old world, but i will still stick to some of the lore while using mostly rules of the Cities of Sigmar (Hallowheart for Fire and Amethyst, Anvilgard for Ice and Shadow and Living City for Forest) and play some selfmade City (why not name it "New Caledor"... i will think about that).
The first army will be a pretty shiny one, i have ordered the "Burning Gold" colourshift paint from Greenstuffworld, which will be my metallic colour for the Lumineth, along with white and red. The first model i started with is of course something that fits the topic, which will be a dragonstyle Dawnrider/Dragonprince (they are on the same bases, so why not?),therefor i proudly present, my dragonstyle Dawnrider prototype:

It´s so far a pretty simple conversion with only a bit of greenstuff and two extra bitz.
I think i like it, the only thing i still cant decide, is, if i should use the Dawnrider or the Dragonprince shield?

I was surprised that the guys are not as big as i thought, so they will probably blend in nicely into existing highelf or Cities of Sigmar armies. I also think this scaled armour the new Lumi-Elves have will go pretty well with that Sundragon-topic i plan to use (dragons... scales... you know what i mean) and with some stones-, elven ruins or lava-bases that gives a pretty nice Caledor feeling. I thought about adding some extra bitz like exchanging the spear with a lance or putting some little banners on the spearshafts or add greenstuff scales to the horse´s armour, but i didnt want to overload the model.
What do you think?
Caledor for life!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: The Dawn of New Caledor

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Icarion wrote:The "Masterplan" is, to set up 6 armies,
Wow!
Icarion wrote:my dragonstyle Dawnrider prototype
He's great Icarion, I especially like the pennant behind him.
Icarion wrote:should use the Dawnrider or the Dragonprince shield?
Could you show us a pic of the two side by side?
MasterOfNone

#3 Post by MasterOfNone »

I'll be following this thread with interest, it sounds promising.
That's a miniature I don't recognise, I am not up to date with the recent releases, I am basically stuck pre-2015.
Would be interesting to see your response to SM's requests.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Icarion

#4 Post by Icarion »

SpellArcher wrote:
Icarion wrote:should use the Dawnrider or the Dragonprince shield?
Could you show us a pic of the two side by side?
i made a decision: I will use the Dawnrider Shields. Why? Because they better fit to the overall aesthetics.

Furthermore i got my bitz-order to "dragonize" the Wardens a bit:
I will put them on the Wardens helmets instead of those "feathers", but turn them 90degree, so it looks more like a mohawk or a Spartan helmet.
(btw, they have all the same size, there´s not two bigger and eight smaller crests)

Last but not least, Spellcrow has another beauty that would fit the topic:
Here i would only use the right Dragonskull hammer, which will be with no doubt an awesome sight, but also quite an "investment", because 4€ for a single hammerhead... i dont know yet if that´s worth the money for me. Maybe someone knows other stylo hammer- (or axe) heads, that have a similar style, or just symply cheaper dragon skulls?
Caledor for life!
Olthannon

#5 Post by Olthannon »

Looks like a really cool conversion so far! Excited to see how your armies progress!
One foot in the hobby
wamphyri101

#6 Post by wamphyri101 »

Looks good, should start an AOS blog ;)

I just started on my Lumineth Lion princes today (bar the champion thats done)
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Icarion

#7 Post by Icarion »

Thanks for all the nice comments!
i just finished a second Dawnrider (just need to attach the alternate heads, which i will do when all are finished) and do the mold-cleaning of the last 3 at once. It´s a bit annoying that i have a awful-lot of work (working for a company that produces respirators... you might imagine, how business went up in the last few months), so hobbytime is short, but i guess by friday i should have assembled everything except the heads and then start searching my bitzbox.

wamphyri101 wrote:Looks good, should start an AOS blog ;)
I just started on my Lumineth Lion princes today (bar the champion thats done)
i saw them and i love them (i guess i also commented and followed your thread)... for me this is all what following this forum is about: Ideas, pictures and babbling about our beloved elves! :)
Caledor for life!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Icarion wrote:Dragonskull hammer, which will be with no doubt an awesome sight
Seriously Icarion, you need to get at least one of these into the army.
Icarion

#9 Post by Icarion »

SpellArcher wrote:
Icarion wrote:Dragonskull hammer, which will be with no doubt an awesome sight
Seriously Icarion, you need to get at least one of these into the army.
One hammer or one unit with those hammers?
Caledor for life!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Whichever seems to work.
Icarion

#11 Post by Icarion »

SpellArcher wrote:Whichever seems to work.
I have honestly rather thought about changing the hammerheads for axes or - depending on how i can position the arms and hands - replacing the whole weapon with twohanded-swords?! After all the guys might be a beautiful and impressive Swordmasters-replacement, dont you think? Glaives or "bladestaffs" (thinking of a Darth-Maul-like weapon) might be cool, too.

Since making fur with greenstuff is pretty easy and there are some lionhead shoulders available in some shops, even creating White Lions 2.0 might be an idea.

BUT the first "mission" is a Lumineth army for me and the "cow-heads" and the "pringles"-hammers are an absolute no go. Whatever i will do, these two things will definatelly be changed. I still do not know what i will exactly do with them (i even have some thirdparty Eldar Witchblades, which i forgot to sell with my Eldar army, so these might be also cool runeswords?), but i guess we have still some time till they are released.
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#12 Post by Icarion »

This is going to be my 2000points army:

Teclis (on Sundragon instead of that ugly thing) - 660
Light of Eltharion - 220
Alarith Stonemage - 130

20 Vanari Auralan Wardens - 240
10 Vanari Auralan Wardens - 120
5 Alarith Stoneguard - 100
10 Vanari Auralan Sentinels - 140
10 Vanari Auralan Sentinels - 140
5 Vanari Dawnriders - 130
Umbral Spellportal - 70
Extra Command Point - 50

I have no idea if this works, i just wanted to include all the models i have (Lumineth box plus my Teclis on Dragon and a third-party stonemage) and get all units i like. Since i dont like the cows very much, they wont find a way into my army unless i find a nice count-as. I thought for a second about substituting the cow with a model like the eldar Avatar (big, on two legs, fits the fire-topic) but it might be too small and before i start packing some really crazy things in that army, i tried to keep it relatively "clean" and comprehensible.
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#13 Post by Icarion »

all 5 Dawnriders done and ready for primer:

...funfact: The Champ can be made with a sword (what i did) but the Dawnriders legs are all made with a sword in their scabbard. Had to "fix" that, although i think it is not perfect, as i glued it too high. The point is, i wanted to cover the cutting marks... furthermore i am probably the only freak bothering with something like this:
Last edited by Icarion on Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caledor for life!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#14 Post by SpellArcher »

Icarion wrote:After all the guys might be a beautiful and impressive Swordmasters-replacement, dont you think?
They might indeed.
Icarion wrote:Dawnriders done and ready for primer
These look very promising.
wamphyri101

#15 Post by wamphyri101 »

looking forwards to seeing these done
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Vermis

#16 Post by Vermis »

Great conversions! They look the part. :) Good to see the lumineth stuff isn't completely out of whack with the old models.

How'd you get the heads?
Icarion

#17 Post by Icarion »

Vermis wrote:How'd you get the heads?
Someone screwed up the models and sold them for cheap on ebay. I took off the metal heads and bathed them into some aggressive cleaner, the plastic horse was for the trash (no chance of saving anything). If you mean the Dragonprince (rider) heads, i have 25 bought during End Times, cus i initially wanted to do some other conversions (Caledorian Phoenix Guard), but waited for a proper Highelves armybook to be released. Seems like we dont get one, so i took on the Lumineth and built the 5 riders, the rest of the heads goes on my Caledorian Phoenix Guard (Black Guard bodies plus those heads) for my Cities of Sigmar army.
Vermis wrote:Great conversions! They look the part. :) Good to see the lumineth stuff isn't completely out of whack with the old models.
Thanks a lot! Such words are really motivating!
Well, regarding the Lumineth i say: I take what i can get! :wink:
i like the style of armour the new Lumineth are wearing, GW just failed at the heads and i feel a bit lucky, because they can be changed easily, therefor i started that project. I would never have done that if that wasnt possible, because i really dislike the original heads.

I struggle a bit at painting atm, i started, but every time my schedule allows it(i am "drowning" in work these days, as my employer produces machinery and accessoires for respirators and all that stuff... you can imagine how much work has to be done, we have 3times as many orders as we had last year and of our 10men strong team we are only 7 and one of them is new, so he doesnt work at 100%) weather says NO and we have a freaking heatwave here in southern germany and the paint dries on my brush, which is so frustrating. :roll:
...not to mention i have to prepare for gamemastering for my RPG-group in august and in september we´re testing the new 40k edition with my warhammer-group, so reading rules, building lists... i guess you know what i mean! :lol:
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#18 Post by Icarion »

Greetings fellow Elven Lords and Ladies,
it´s been a while, since i wrote something here, but i´ve been more than busy during the last year. But i decided it´s time to do some elves again, so i started "dragonizing" the Alarith Stoneguard, or as i would call it "Alarith Dragonguard". We discussed the hammerheads above but i´ve found some that i like better. Here´s my first WIP:
The hammerheads were former helmets, but i guess once painted they might look good.
Let me know what you think...
Caledor for life!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#19 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome back Icarion.
Icarion wrote:"Alarith Dragonguard"
Looking good.

=D>
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#20 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with SA. They're shaping up to look epic. I think the hammer heads will work fine once painted :) keep us updated.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#21 Post by Mireadur »

Looking epic indeed. Pity the 1st pictures cant be seen.
Icarion

#22 Post by Icarion »

Mireadur wrote:Looking epic indeed. Pity the 1st pictures cant be seen.
The first pics were my Dawnriders. I changed the rider´s heads for the Dragonprinces heads and the horseheads for those of the metal Dragonprinces´ horses. I´ll post them again once i´ve painted them. :D
Does anyone have an idea how i can make the pics stay? I dont know if i put on the links here or uploaded the pics directly, but i realized that most of the other pics in other posts (like the one i was selling my old stuff for example) disappeared too...
Prince of Spires wrote:I agree with SA. They're shaping up to look epic. I think the hammer heads will work fine once painted :) keep us updated.
Well, now it is only "Three shades of grey" :wink: which will - for sure - look better once they are painted. The point is, i will use the warm and sunny days for building, because i can use the smelly plastic glue with all windows open without freezing my ass... for painting i have time when it gets colder and even then the Lumineth wont be the priority. I have another army in the making, also High Elves, but for AoS/Cities of Sigmar which will be a winter-themed army (they will get a "fiery" counterpart later, so i can maybe build a Phoenicium army for Cities of Sigmar, but first i wanna see how AoS 3.0 will be), plus i am getting all my other High Elf models in order, so i know what i have and what can be done. Since i realized that i have a few 9th Age / WHFB players in my area, i am thinking about keeping some of the models that have no representation in AoS (like Prince Imrik, Dragon Princes, a Dragon Mage, my 50 Lothern Seaguard/Spireguard, etc.) on square bases and upgrading them a bit with magnetic unit-bases, so i can do some battles with them?
Furthermore i screwed up the Dawnriders a bit, since i used this strange colourshift paint from greenstuffworld and i dont think it looks good. I will change it, so that they will get a really shiny golden armour with standart gold from the GW colour range.
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#23 Post by Icarion »

In between all the other ongoing projects i finally managed to finish at least one of the above mentioned 6 Dragonlords (who will be a Dreadlord on Black Dragon count-as for a Cities of Sigmar army). The face is not 100% complete as the pen i paint my eyes with has dried, so i have to wait for a replacement which is on the way from god-knows-where.
So here i proudly present my more or less finished version of Prince Glacierion of Wintervale, riding his Ice-Dragon.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (511.61 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (499.01 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
Caledor for life!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

Well met Icarion.

:)

Great job, that is a serious dragon!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#25 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's an amazing (and very cold...) looking dragon!

How is the rest of the army coming along?

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Icarion

#26 Post by Icarion »

Prince of Spires wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:58 pm That's an amazing (and very cold...) looking dragon!
Thank you very much Prince of Spires and SpellArcher!
Prince of Spires wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:58 pm How is the rest of the army coming along?
Well... this might take a while. I started this year with the dragon, as i began the paintjob quite a while ago and it annoyed me walking past my shelf, seeing it half-finished all the time, so i just had to do it. The rest of the army i plan to do in the second half of 2023, as i planned to do my Fallen Angels army first (which i dont post here, because it has nothing to do with elves... but i´ve posted it on facebook, if someone is interested), because i will have to do quite a lot of Greenstuff work for those elves, as they will all get such a greenstuff-fur cloak similar to the one Prince Glacierion has. As you can imagine, this is quite a project... I already "fur-cloaked" 10 Sisters (they will get their bows painted with frostfire-flames) and 10 Phoenix Guard and still have to do 6 Dragon Princes (which will ride wolves instead of horses, as i think wolves are better mounts for a region with deep snow), 20 spearmen and 20 archers, as well as a chariot (also pulled by wolves). I will also add a Frost-Phoenix (without rider) to that force and a frost-mage from a non-GW producer, but these one will be pretty much un-converted.
Caledor for life!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#27 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's an impressive sounding army :) I'd love to see some in progress pictures of the cloaked sisters and PG. They sound interesting.

Also, feel free to add images of your Fallen Angel army here as well. We like all kinds of well-painted models. :)

Check out my plog

Icarion

#28 Post by Icarion »

Prince of Spires wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:28 pm That's an impressive sounding army :) I'd love to see some in progress pictures of the cloaked sisters and PG. They sound interesting.
Thank you for your kind words. i´m pretty busy these days, but i hope i can present some decent pics on monday.
Prince of Spires wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:28 pm Also, feel free to add images of your Fallen Angel army here as well. We like all kinds of well-painted models. :)
I dont think i´m such a good painter (and i´m an even worse photographer), but if you really insist :wink: i can post my other stuff too. I just didnt do it until now, because i knew from another forum, that lots of pics cause lots of megabytes of traffic, which makes the cost for that forum more expensive... but if this is ok for the one who pays that, why not?
I guess this would be a topic for the subforum "Realms beyond the Gates / other games", right?
Caledor for life!
Icarion

#29 Post by Icarion »

Here i present two of my already prepared models for my icy themed army:
One is a Phoenix Guard with a Wildwood Rangers head, the other one is a normal Sister of Avelorn, who will get the flames on her bow painted in "frostfire" colours to fit the theme.
As you can imagine, this is A LOT of work, but doing the fur doesnt really need much skill (i wouldnt say i´m a great artist in working with greenstuff), yet it needs a lot of effort and determination to get it done. I´ve finished 22 models like these, and thinking that i will need to give another 50 (20 spearmen, 20 archers, 6 Dragon Princes, a chariot driver, a mage and 2 Repeater Crossbow operators) such a "treatment" already makes my thumbs hurt from squeezing greenstuff. :roll:
Nevertheless, i think it´s worth it and it will make the army somewhat special. i´m not the best painter and i´m honestly scared to paint all the faces, who should be beautiful elves and will look like ugly gnomes! :wink:
The archers and the spearmen will be kinda 4th edition "rescued" models, because i will recycle some of my old (and even worse) paintjobs, replace the heads, hide some flaws beneath greenstuff and give them a second chance to hit the battlefield in new glory. 8)
1.jpg
1.jpg (107.38 KiB) Viewed 4177 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (179.47 KiB) Viewed 4177 times
Caledor for life!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#30 Post by Prince of Spires »

The PG ans Sister look great with their cloaks. But that does look like a mamoth task indeed... And faces are indeed hard to paint. Somehow my models always end up cross-eyed...
Icarion wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:35 pm I dont think i´m such a good painter (and i´m an even worse photographer), but if you really insist :wink: i can post my other stuff too. I just didnt do it until now, because i knew from another forum, that lots of pics cause lots of megabytes of traffic, which makes the cost for that forum more expensive... but if this is ok for the one who pays that, why not?
I guess this would be a topic for the subforum "Realms beyond the Gates / other games", right?
They can go in either the other games forum or here in the painting and modeling forum. It depends a bit. If you want to do more than just show cool models then the other games forum is probably best. You might get some feedback if you have rules or fluff questions. Here works fine if you're just sharing pictures :)

Don't worry too much about the data. Data is cheap these days.

Check out my plog