From Chracia with Love (and a Hawkship)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Olthannon

Re: From Chracia with Love (and a Hawkship)

#31 Post by Olthannon »

Have not had much to add to the blog recently as I've been neglecting the painting for a little while. However, I have started a new project - building a ship. So here's a couple of WiP photos of the structure. Still need to source a mast and then plenty of details to add.

It is still very rough and ready and still a long way to go but let me know what you think.

It's most certainly not based on the Man O' War ships because I am not a huge fan of the weird Malay outrigger style of the Hawkships on a large scale.
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: From Chracia with Love (and magic)

#32 Post by SpellArcher »

At some point in the career of every High Elf general they seem to turn shipwright! I like how it has a kind of direction down to the prow.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#33 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:At some point in the career of every High Elf general they seem to turn shipwright! I like how it has a kind of direction down to the prow.
:lol: Probably true. I guess it's the result of the seafaring / naval nature of the High Elf empire.

I like how the ship is shaping up. The prow gives it an ancient roman / greek feeling, which works well with High Elves in my opinion. Keep us updated.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Olthannon

#34 Post by Olthannon »

Thanks guys. Work has progressed somewhat on the ship, decking is almost complete for all of it.
Yes I took most of the inspiration from the flat hulled Mediterranean ships as opposed to the Man O' War Malaysian outrigger style ships that also have giant castles attached to the back (apparently taking the term fo'c's'le literally).

My main issue now is finding something for the bow of the ship that will look pretty delicious but not too big as to get in the way of the fore bolt thrower and also sourcing a suitable tiller.

I will post pictures shortly, I have to faff about taking pictures on my phone and then uploading to imgur and then going on my laptop and resizing them on there before uploading because I can't find a way of resizing images on imgur mobile app.
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#35 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looking forward to the updates :)

I guess the bolt thrower will need either a raised platform from which to shoot or some kind of opening. A 360 degree field of view would be great, but even a 90 degree forward field of view would work I think.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Olthannon

#36 Post by Olthannon »

As you can see, there is one such raised platform fit for the bolt thrower :wink: The mast is ready, just needs cutting slightly to get the right size, not pictured however. Will do a bit more work on it today, hopefully get myself an idea about what to do with the figurehead.

Enjoy.
One foot in the hobby
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#37 Post by Luna Guardian »

Looks very cool, sleek and deadly as it should! Looking forwards to seeing it completed and painted!
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#38 Post by Prince of Spires »

Starting to look very cool indeed. The one thing I would consider is changing the stairs slightly. They look just a bit on the small side to comfortably hold a model. Not a big deal of course. But from a practical / gaming / display point of view it's nice to have the option to put a model on there.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#39 Post by SpellArcher »

Coming along nicely!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#40 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

More progress than projects usually end up with (including one I started awhile back).
Olthannon

#41 Post by Olthannon »

So a few more updates, including part of the mast (although that will take a lot of work).

Adding more details now to get more ship like and less big block of plastic. Still not decided on the prow so have left that blank and have been procrastinating with other pieces.

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it!

As for the stairs, I would change them but then they would look gigantic and a bit odd in comparison.
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#42 Post by SpellArcher »

Now I get that the ship had to be a decent width to accommodate the RBT!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#43 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

the solution to the stair size problem is to make a block you can set on the stair below the one you want the model to be standing on. I've done that for my mordheim buildings. It lets you keep the scale of the project, but still have a way for minis to stand on the steps.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#44 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:the solution to the stair size problem is to make a block you can set on the stair below the one you want the model to be standing on. I've done that for my mordheim buildings. It lets you keep the scale of the project, but still have a way for minis to stand on the steps.
Great idea. Definitely stealing that one.

I like the details you're adding to the ship. They make all the difference between some generic terrain piece and something lovely and elven.

Rod

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#45 Post by Olthannon »

Here is a tester for my archers. I got this in a sale a while ago and it was undercoated white. Not sure why the head is at such a dodgy angle but I might pull that off and reglue. I think frankly I much prefer that to black undercoat, the white on the jerkin needs touching up but overall pretty happy with how it turns out. The lighting isn't great because it is absolutely chucking it down here.

Cheers,
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#46 Post by SpellArcher »

This guy definitely has that richness that is one of the hallmarks of your painting Olthannon.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#47 Post by Prince of Spires »

he's looking pretty good. As you say, the white can use another layer or two, just to get that clean, crisp look. But it's a pretty good start for a fast result.

When I used spray can primer I always primed my elves white. My elves generally have fairly bright colors and a lot of whites. And then undercoating white makes it much easier to get a nice result. I've since moved on to using an airbrush to prime, which has a transparent primer. And after that I usually give a mixed white and black first layer. That immediately gives a nice shade effect to the model when painting. Though it's fairly subtle and if it wasn't that little effort I'm not sure I would do so.

Rod

Check out my plog

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#48 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

agreed on the white primer. Except for swordmasters and spearmen, with all the armor they get primed black.
Bie

#49 Post by Bie »

I'm loving the Hawkship. Makes me want to start my very own for my Sea Guard battalion :)

You must have already put in quite an amount of time to get where you are with the ship. Looking forward to see its finished state.
Training the Sea Guard

Current project: Aldarin's Command - Battery bases
Painting queue: archers, artillery battery
Olthannon

#50 Post by Olthannon »

Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated.

The Hawkship actually not been too difficult really, it is a simple design so not really too much effort just I haven't had much time spare to work on it. :lol:

It only needs a few more details and the prow needs to be sorted. Hopefully do some more on it this month and get it painted!
One foot in the hobby
Olthannon

#51 Post by Olthannon »

Can't believe the last time I updated this was back in September. Stupid real life getting in the way of tiny fantasy life. Anyway, what with the whole global pandemic lockdown and all, I've had some time to paint.

So my first showing is Aenur the sword of twilight. Pretty much my favourite model and I hope I did it justice. I need to really work on my miniature photography because they all look washed out to hell.

Coming up next some shadow warriors!

EDIT: Have since resized the photos :D
Last edited by Olthannon on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#52 Post by Prince of Spires »

Great to see an update here :)

I like the model. The photo is a bit harsh on it, with the lighting and the closeness. But I think the model is great. The simplicity does the model a lot of justice. The only thing I perhaps would have changed is the sword. I would have made it a bit brighter, since it's a magical sword. But, great job :)

Rod
Olthannon wrote: Anyway, what with the whole global pandemic lockdown and all, I've had some time to paint.
This is probably the one upside to the whole thing. Lots more hobby time :) (as long as it's solitary that is).

Rod

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#53 Post by Olthannon »

Another update - currently my head honcho elfo. I also tried some better pictures of Aenur. I have five Shadow Warriors painted up which will hopefully get put on here tomorrow. Then another few to paint and then I need to buy some more paint stripper!
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#54 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice. He looks very regal :) A true elven general. My one point of criticism perhaps is that I think his face can be a bit lighter / more noticeable. It's very shadowy at the moment.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#55 Post by SpellArcher »

That shield though.

=D>
Olthannon

#56 Post by Olthannon »

Thanks guys, appreciate it! The face is as shadowy as I could possibly make it. It actually took me a long time to make it look like that haha.

Even more updates - finally getting round to finishing off my Shadow Warriors. I have 5 undercoated left to paint, plus two more who escaped the original paint stripping and will have to wait until I buy more.

They're okay, the shoddy photos don't do the cloaks justice which in real life are very subtly highlighted. Fluffwise they are a sizeable warband that has joined the host of Prince Olthannon as my mighty Lionship patrols the waters looking for filthy Druchii.

Once I've picked up more chemicals and some white undercoat the next stage is getting my archers painted and also looking up some tutorials on how to paint wood a bit better!
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#57 Post by Prince of Spires »

Olthannon wrote: plus two more who escaped the original paint stripping and will have to wait until I buy more.
They're sneaky little buggers ;)

I like them. They're suitably shadowy for shadow warriors. And the green cloaks would be useful :)

If only they performed better in game... (at least for me ;) )

Rod

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#58 Post by Olthannon »

So that's almost all my Shadow Warriors painted up. I have 2 of the 4th edition who still need square bases and two of the 6th edition, including the Shadow Walker who are the rascals who escaped their paint removal.

I wanted their paint scheme and the couple of minor conversions I undertook to fit closely with the lore. I wanted my SWs to look like a ragtag warband, always on the move, with a range of equipment. More importantly, I wanted them to look more at odds to the rest of my force while still keeping some token colours. I figured these Dwarven shields looked more like skirmisher bucklers than the rather cumbersome spearmen shields. Plus these lovely 4th edition helmets are very Grecian, so it gives them a nice hoplite feel.

Once I have some archers painted up I am to take some shots of the whole force as it is.
One foot in the hobby
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#59 Post by Elithmar »

Olthannon wrote:Plus these lovely 4th edition helmets are very Grecian, so it gives them a nice hoplite feel.
Agreed. I like them! =D>
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Olthannon

#60 Post by Olthannon »

Thanks!

Here's a tester for my unit of Swordmasters. Got 15 of these plus another RBT to paint up.

I'd actually really appreciate some advice on this scheme. I think it looks okay? I'm worried it looks a little bland is all.
One foot in the hobby