From Chracia with Love (and a Hawkship)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Azaam

Re: From Chracia with Love (and a Hawkship)

#121 Post by Azaam »

This is the first time I actually see these models.
To be honest, I'm not really found of this style. But I really like the kind of aura around them. I don't know if that makes sense ...

I saw on reddit that you took some dwarf shields for three of them. You should be ashamed of yourself !!!
No, just kidding I think that actually goes a lot better than the triangle ones.

Can't wait to see the rest of the army !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#122 Post by SpellArcher »

Azaam wrote:dwarf shields for three of them
I was wondering about those...
Olthannon

#123 Post by Olthannon »

So I'm not really happy with the look of my shadow warriors, having looked over them again. I'm thinking perhaps doing the lower robes in the usual red, the same as the musician. What do people think?
One foot in the hobby
Vermis

#124 Post by Vermis »

If you're itching to do something with them, and to tie them together visually, sure!
Azaam

#125 Post by Azaam »

You could keep one as a reminder of the old days and clean the other ones for a fresh start.
I'm not really found of the red and green mix as two main colours. It gives some kind of Christmas feeling that in my opinion doesn't really fit on these minis. I think the red colour as you did for the musician would be a better fit. I'm really curious about what these old minis would look like with a fresher paintjob !

If you decide to paint them, I'll be happy to see what you'll do with them !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#126 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's a very personal thing. For me, I just keep barreling forward. I have more models unfinished then time to paint them. So, I made a 'rule' for myself that I don't go back to models I've finished (other than repair stuff...). I would much rather have a painted model with an okay paint job and another model with a better one, then just redoing the same model over and over. You keep improving as a painter, so there's always something about your earlier models you can do better and which might need fixing. But I also have 120-ish models left to paint and assembleAnd I would much rather have them done than have that one model look better.

Also, it's a snapshot of who you were when you painted them. You can see how far you've come as a painter and how your style has changed over the years. I kind of like that aspect as well.

Of course, if you've got no unpainted models left, then by all means, go for it!

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Olthannon

#127 Post by Olthannon »

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to do a test model on one of them and see how it looks. I'm very much of that mindset too Rod, but the more I look at the models the more I feel maybe I should do something with them..

In the meantime, not High Elves I'm afraid but my adeptus mechanicus. These are from the start collecting box I bought back in August. Finally got the bases sorted for them. After I'm done with these I'm going to finish off my white lions.

The plasma gun definitely needs a bit more work but I hope you guys enjoy them.

More elven goodness soon I promise!
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#128 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote:I hope you guys enjoy them.
Yes indeed. You've nailed the coats Olthannon.
Azaam

#129 Post by Azaam »

Really like the colours ! Especially the orange.
Is there a layer of red under it ?
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#130 Post by Prince of Spires »

Olthannon wrote:In the meantime, not High Elves I'm afraid
:shock: [-X

Just kidding. I love the models. The orange is very vibrant, but is also gives them a "desert" feel to me, which makes them fit. And I like the "bronze" feeling of the guns and metal bits. Both a bit scrappy and as if they've been used a lot. And the faces look great.
Olthannon wrote:the more I look at the models the more I feel maybe I should do something with them
Just look the other way ;) I understand how you feel. Maybe it depends a bit on how often you use them and what other models you have lying around.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Olthannon

#131 Post by Olthannon »

Hello everyone, it's been a long while since I've posted in! Hope everyone has been keeping well? The site has had a facelift I notice!

Unfortunately I've been a terrible monster these past months and mainly painting 40k. However, recently a friend of mine from work wants to play a game of WHFB and I'm very excited. So I've been painting my High Elves again!

That spearelf was one of the first models I ever bought way back in 1999 (the box was 4 spears and 4 archers) and I'm really glad I can finally give the poor sod a paintjob he deserves. The original roughshod look of my childhood didn't do any justice.

Also I finally bit the bullet and repainted those shadow warriors. I'm really glad I did because to me they look a lot better! I'm going to hopefully keep up painting a lot more mighty Asur over the next few months.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers!
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#132 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:00 pm Hello everyone, it's been a long while since I've posted in!
Welcome back Olthannon!
Olthannon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:00 pm I'm really glad I can finally give the poor sod a paintjob he deserves.
Exactly, I always felt this model was pretty good for a one-piece plastic.
Olthannon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:00 pm Also I finally bit the bullet and repainted those shadow warriors.
These are excellent, your distinctive style works especially well on them.
TyrrenAzureblade

#133 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Welcome back! Love the color scheme, very Chracian for sure. Those monopose plastic spearmen elicit a nostalgia that I don't feel I should actually have since I didn't get into Warhammer until 8th, but they get me all the same. Looking forward to repaints and new additions to the army!
Last edited by TyrrenAzureblade on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azaam

#134 Post by Azaam »

Welcome back Olthannon !
Glad to see these newly painted models. I like your unique style, you managed to give a very grimdark aura without losing the high elf aspect !
I think the spearelf was the first (elf ?) model i painted. Lot of nostalgia here :D
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Olthannon

#135 Post by Olthannon »

Hi folks, it's great to be back and painting High Elves!

Very excited to be using this picture attachment tool. Makes life so much easier!
20211017_103751.jpg
20211017_103751.jpg (891.63 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
Just a quick photo of the other 3 that made up the very first Elves of the army.

They sat in simple green with the others and then were left in a box while I painted 40k. You can still see those goblin green bases. What a colour eh?
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#136 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 am Very excited to be using this picture attachment tool. Makes life so much easier!
One satisfied customer!

:)
Olthannon wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 am Just a quick photo of the other 3 that made up the very first Elves of the army.
Very nostalgic.
TyrrenAzureblade

#137 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

You probably already know this, but I found that LA's Totally Awesome works wonders compared to Simple Green. Just in case you're looking to really get those models squeeky clean.
Olthannon

#138 Post by Olthannon »

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update with the other 3 spear elves.

Next up I'm going to put together an army shot finally to show off my Chracian warhost so far. Next on the paint station will be a mixture of my Ellyrian Reavers and some white lions too.

Cheers
Attachments
Spear Rear
Spear Rear
Screenshot_20211025-225600_Instagram.jpg (751.12 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
Spear Front
Spear Front
Screenshot_20211025-225550_Instagram.jpg (778.46 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#139 Post by SpellArcher »

You've made these look very good Olthannon. The shields really stand out too.
Azaam

#140 Post by Azaam »

They look good ! Love the shield.
I can't wait to see those WL painted with your style !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Olthannon

#141 Post by Olthannon »

SpellArcher wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:16 pm You've made these look very good Olthannon. The shields really stand out too.
Azaam wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:36 pm They look good ! Love the shield.
I can't wait to see those WL painted with your style !
Hey thanks both! I love these models, I'd like to get a full regiment of them.

Managed a good day of painting today. As you guys know, I've been faffing back and forth on how to paint these shadow warriors. So I've settled on this, repainting the cloak with the red and adding some more purple.

Meanwhile! I'm doing a tester for my Ellyrian Reaver horsies, I think I'll keep all of them this palomino colour. This is still WiP, I feel the horse needs something a little extra but I don't really know what? Any help people can give would be ace!

Cheers all.
Attachments
20211029_185305.jpg
20211029_185305.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 5943 times
20211029_185329.jpg
20211029_185329.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 5943 times
20211029_190031.jpg
20211029_190031.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 5943 times
20211029_190008.jpg
20211029_190008.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 5943 times
One foot in the hobby
Nicanor

#142 Post by Nicanor »

Love the minis, cant wait to see the ship!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#143 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:08 pm This is still WiP, I feel the horse needs something a little extra but I don't really know what?
It’s plenty contrasty which is probably a good thing but I’m not quite sure! Hard to be categorical without the rider.
Azaam

#144 Post by Azaam »

IMO the horse is good like that. As SpellArcher said, we'll have a better idea with the rider.
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Olthannon

#145 Post by Olthannon »

Hi everybody,

Finished up one of my Ellyrian Reavers. Pretty happy with the result, I was thinking of going for a more colourful helmet plume but in the end I just kept it white.

Of course with a Chracian army, I thought they would suit cavalry axes better than spears. Maybe somewhere down the line I'll Greenstuff the shoulder pad so it matches up, although I don't actually know where to buy GS these days? I don't see it on the online GW store.

I still have to do the shield, I don't have any of those small kite shields they originally came with anymore but perhaps the circular shields of the 4th edition Shadow Warriors could work?

Would love some feedback, so let me know what you all think!

Cheers
Attachments
20211104_234338.jpg
20211104_234338.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5874 times
20211104_234439.jpg
20211104_234439.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 5874 times
20211104_235340.jpg
20211104_235340.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 5874 times
20211104_234314.jpg
20211104_234314.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 5874 times
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#146 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:23 am I was thinking of going for a more colourful helmet plume but in the end I just kept it white.
It looks fine Olthannon but I’d have been tempted by red.
Olthannon wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:23 am Of course with a Chracian army, I thought they would suit cavalry axes better than spears.
Nice touch.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#147 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like him, and I agree that the axe is a nice touch.

As for where to get greenstuff, there's a fair few online stores that have it. Ebay is a pretty good source for greenstuff (though watch out for delivery fees, some sellers get creative with those...), you can find it on Amazon as well. And if you search for "greenstuff", "green stuff", or "army painter green stuff" then you'll end up with loads of hits as well. Or check to see if there's any other hobby shop near you. Model train shops usually have it, and some game shops carry it as well.

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#148 Post by Olthannon »

SpellArcher wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:04 am
It looks fine Olthannon but I’d have been tempted by red.
Thankee kindly, yes I am also thinking either red or possibly a navy blue.
Prince of Spires wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:48 am I like him, and I agree that the axe is a nice touch.

As for where to get greenstuff, there's a fair few online stores that have it. Ebay is a pretty good source for greenstuff (though watch out for delivery fees, some sellers get creative with those...), you can find it on Amazon as well. And if you search for "greenstuff", "green stuff", or "army painter green stuff" then you'll end up with loads of hits as well. Or check to see if there's any other hobby shop near you. Model train shops usually have it, and some game shops carry it as well.
Thanks, I'm glad the axe works, I have another 4 to paint, although 3 are the command group. I think I'll give the other a bow just to show off their mixed combat role.

Great news about the greenstuff! I was just surprised to not find it on GW stores now, have they just done away with it?

Just a quick update to show off the army so far! Not the best pictures but unfortunately there's not much light when I get in from work. It's nice to see the whole army in one go, reminds me of how much I've actually done.

Still a lot to go though. Another regiment of spears, the white lions, another bolt thrower and all the archers.

Cheers all!
Attachments
IMG_20211108_203232_204.jpg
IMG_20211108_203232_204.jpg (265.81 KiB) Viewed 5838 times
IMG_20211108_203232_315.jpg
IMG_20211108_203232_315.jpg (238.99 KiB) Viewed 5838 times
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#149 Post by Prince of Spires »

Olthannon wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:42 pm Great news about the greenstuff! I was just surprised to not find it on GW stores now, have they just done away with it?
Seems like it. I could only find the liquid green stuff, which is pretty useless. I've tried that and it just doesn't work. Then again, GW green stuff was always on the expensive side anyway, so it was more of a convenience purchase than anything else if I bought it there.
Olthannon wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:42 pm Just a quick update to show off the army so far! Not the best pictures but unfortunately there's not much light when I get in from work. It's nice to see the whole army in one go, reminds me of how much I've actually done.
Looks great. It's becoming an impressive force. I had the same realisation at some point. I was always painting individual units and it always felt like slow going. Until I put everything together. At some point I calculated the points of all the painted models I could field and I got somewhere over 3.000. That felt pretty amazing. But it does sneak up on you (at least at my speed of working...).

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#150 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:33 am Looks great. It's becoming an impressive force.
Agreed. I like the brown basing, have something similar on my Wood Elves.