Elendor's Host of the White Tower

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Elendor's Host of the White Tower

#61 Post by Prince of Spires »

Every now and then I make (some) sense ;)
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#62 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Now I only need to paint the quivers...and another 7 models that I left unpainted! There are also 5 that I need to strip the paint off, and that would complete all 30 of them.
30? This is why I have to stay with 3rd edition. Units of 20 get annoying to me.
elendor_f

#63 Post by elendor_f »

Well I don't play (neither in 6th nor in T9A) units of more than 20 models! I prefer 2 units of 20 Spears than a unit of 40 in terms of gameplay, and luckily for me both 6th and T9A support my personal taste.

But in this particular case I have 30 LSG because I bought them second hand from a guy who was moving and wanted to part ways with them quickly. Since he was already making a discount and metal LSG are difficult to find at a good price, I felt it wasn't fair to further ask him if he was willing to split. So I took them all :D
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#64 Post by Prince of Spires »

Never pass up a good deal ;)

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
elendor_f

#65 Post by elendor_f »

I bring you my 4 Maiden Guard painted during Christmas!

And WIP on Teclis (you inspired me Rod :lol: )
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#66 Post by Prince of Spires »

starting to look great. You're quite far along with Teclis already.

As for the maidenguard, I like them. They're nice models and I like the contrast between the more bronze / flesh colors of the front of the models and the blue of the cloaks.

Rod

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#67 Post by elendor_f »

Prince of Spires wrote:starting to look great. You're quite far along with Teclis already.

As for the maidenguard, I like them. They're nice models and I like the contrast between the more bronze / flesh colors of the front of the models and the blue of the cloaks.

Rod
Yeah I had some free time and I was motivated to start :D

Thanks about the Maidenguard, one of the comments of my girlfriend was that the bronze and the flesh tones were a bit too close, but I didn't know how to create more contrast between the two!
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Olthannon

#68 Post by Olthannon »

Maybe try a red wash on the skin and a black wash over the bronze to differentiate them further?

They look great so far, Teclis is coming along nicely!
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#69 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote:Teclis is coming along nicely!
+1

He’s got a real ‘night sky’ vibe.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#70 Post by Prince of Spires »

elendor_f wrote:Thanks about the Maidenguard, one of the comments of my girlfriend was that the bronze and the flesh tones were a bit too close, but I didn't know how to create more contrast between the two!
I agree with her in part at least. You could lighten the skin and darken the armour a bit if you want to distinguish them further. But I was more thinking in terms of complete units and army and less on the individual models. When you have a unit of 15 of them in the middle of an army then these individual detail matter less and the overall impression is more important.

Rod

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#71 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks guys :D
Olthannon wrote:Maybe try a red wash on the skin and a black wash over the bronze to differentiate them further?

They look great so far, Teclis is coming along nicely!
That's a good idea, perhaps instead of black on the bronze I'd try an Agrax Earthshade wash :)
Prince of Spires wrote:
elendor_f wrote:Thanks about the Maidenguard, one of the comments of my girlfriend was that the bronze and the flesh tones were a bit too close, but I didn't know how to create more contrast between the two!
I agree with her in part at least. You could lighten the skin and darken the armour a bit if you want to distinguish them further. But I was more thinking in terms of complete units and army and less on the individual models. When you have a unit of 15 of them in the middle of an army then these individual detail matter less and the overall impression is more important.

Rod
You are right of course, overall impression triumphs over detail for units :)
I'll note your suggestions and perhaps apply them when I am done with other models, after Teclis the Phoenix Guard are on the painting line.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

elendor_f

#72 Post by elendor_f »

As I mentioned, some army shots!

Whole panted army

The white and blue side:
I made shields for the cavalry finally :) Unfortunately the banner of the Dragon Princes is broken and I need to repair it.
I also painted more Archers, I only had 10 previously.

The blue and green side:
Bolt Throwers are in bases now, and the lone Phoenix Guard has joined the Maiden Guard with the excuse that their cloaks look similar :P
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Nusphigor

#73 Post by Nusphigor »

very beautiful army mate
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#74 Post by Prince of Spires »

elendor_f wrote: the lone Phoenix Guard has joined the Maiden Guard with the excuse that their cloaks look similar
Well, if I had to chose a unit I would probably go with the pretty maidens as well. Though he might have some trouble with his pick-up line... ;)

Starting to look like an impressive army. For me that's the joy of looking back. You suddenly realise how far you've come.

Rod

Check out my plog

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#75 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:Well, if I had to chose a unit I would probably go with the pretty maidens as well. Though he might have some trouble with his pick-up line... ;)
Some girls like the strong and silent types :wink:

The army looks really good, kudos on all your progress!
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Olthannon

#76 Post by Olthannon »

Great looking army, what is next?
One foot in the hobby
elendor_f

#77 Post by elendor_f »

Prince of Spires wrote:
elendor_f wrote: the lone Phoenix Guard has joined the Maiden Guard with the excuse that their cloaks look similar
Well, if I had to chose a unit I would probably go with the pretty maidens as well. Though he might have some trouble with his pick-up line... ;)
:lol:

Thanks everyone :D It is indeed satisfying to see the progress! Painted minis are always cool to look at.

My next steps are (in no particular order):
- Finishing Teclis
- Painting these two elven ladies:
https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/sho ... h-bow.html
https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/sho ... hield.html
- Painting the Phoenix Guard.
- Somewhere along the way paint 7 more metal LSG and 25 quivers #-o
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#78 Post by Prince of Spires »

elendor_f wrote: - Somewhere along the way paint 7 more metal LSG and 25 quivers #-o
Sounds like these guys sort of just snuck up on you... ;)

Looking forward to see where it goes.

Rod

Check out my plog

Nusphigor

#79 Post by Nusphigor »

Prince of Spires wrote:
elendor_f wrote: - Somewhere along the way paint 7 more metal LSG and 25 quivers #-o
Sounds like these guys sort of just snuck up on you... ;)

Looking forward to see where it goes.

Rod
Those must be shadow warriors. They can sneak up on everyone! XD

Really beautiful work on your minis, i'm looking forward to see the completed Teclis!
elendor_f

#80 Post by elendor_f »

Long time no see! Real life has kept me prety busy, but I have managed to do some painting recently.

I finished Teclis:

Then I painted this elf archer lady:

And I finally continued my Phoenix Guard unit, some WIP below:
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#81 Post by Prince of Spires »

Great unit and models. I love the bright, bold colors. Very different from the "normal" HE, who are often a bit understated and regal in their color choices. And ther metal PG are just great models.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#82 Post by SpellArcher »

I especially like your turquoisey Teclis elendor!
elendor_f

#83 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks for the comments! :D
SpellArcher wrote:I especially like your turquoisey Teclis elendor!
I have become quite fond of turquoise for my army in general :lol:

@Rod I sometimes fear I go a bit overboard with choosing colours, but it kinda works out :mrgreen:

For Teclis I got a bit inspired by the T9A background. One of the Paths of Magic is Cosmology, which is about finding equilibrium between Cosmos (order, low entropy, ice-related concept) and Chaos (disorder, impulse, fire-related concept), so I wanted to mix blue and orange, and I thought turquoise and purple might fit between those two.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#84 Post by Prince of Spires »

elendor_f wrote:@Rod I sometimes fear I go a bit overboard with choosing colours, but it kinda works out
No fear. I've seen more extravangant color scheme's on here, and they are among some of my favorite armies. It really makes your army stand out.

If you want some inspiration on wild color scheme's, here's a couple
Ptolemy: Back from Unplugged GT with a pair of awards!
Tinman's plog - Recent Project.. Dark Ritual, (note, photobucket is messing up the pictures in this topic, you can check them directly here: https://s1199.photobucket.com/user/thet ... ary?page=1). This one is especially impressive, since he started the paint scheme by asking his daughter what colors he should use. Her response, "pink & purple"

There is probably more around.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#85 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:here's a couple
Those guys produced some amazing stuff.
elendor_f

#86 Post by elendor_f »

The pictures from Ptolemy are absolutely stunning! =D>
Thanks for sharing Rod :D
The second link does not work in Photobucket unfortunately :( But the story behind it is great!

I did the bases of the Phoenix Guard and took a picture with better light.

I should probably highlight the gems and the orange flames/phoenixes a bit more but I had to paint 7 more Sea Guard (the neverending story :lol: ):
Now I have 25 painted, but I need to paint those 25 quivers I have mentioned in a post some months ago #-o
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Bie

#87 Post by Bie »

elendor_f wrote:Now I have 25 painted, but I need to paint those 25 quivers I have mentioned in a post some months ago #-o
Out of interest, which quivers are you using? I've managed to gather a unit of Sea Guards with these type of miniatures, yet all of them are missing their quivers. I've managed to buy some quivers through Ebay, but I think they ones normally used for Ellyrian Reavers. It does match, but I'd still want to know which ones where the original ones.
Training the Sea Guard

Current project: Aldarin's Command - Battery bases
Painting queue: archers, artillery battery
elendor_f

#88 Post by elendor_f »

I was very lucky that I bought the metal Sea Guard second hand and the previous owner had all the quivers and the shields, so the models came with quivers. I think you might find them separately on eBay, people sell bits sometimes. I am not sure how difficult it might be to find the exact same ones.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Bie

#89 Post by Bie »

elendor_f wrote:I was very lucky that I bought the metal Sea Guard second hand and the previous owner had all the quivers and the shields, so the models came with quivers. I think you might find them separately on eBay, people sell bits sometimes. I am not sure how difficult it might be to find the exact same ones.
You lucky b... :wink:
I've been looking for quivers (and shield for that matter) specifically for Sea Guards on Ebay. But, as far as I can see, haven't found any specific for them. Or in the case of the shields they are ridiculously expensive. Can you take a pic of those quivers? So I at least know what they look like.
Training the Sea Guard

Current project: Aldarin's Command - Battery bases
Painting queue: archers, artillery battery
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#90 Post by Prince of Spires »

Bie wrote: I've been looking for quivers (and shield for that matter) specifically for Sea Guards on Ebay. But, as far as I can see, haven't found any specific for them. Or in the case of the shields they are ridiculously expensive. Can you take a pic of those quivers? So I at least know what they look like.
You can find an image of the original quivers here: http://www.solegends.com/citcat2000/c2000p192-01.htm. Those should be all of them I think.

You could always try poking Shannar here on the forum. It always feels like he has spare parts of pretty much all things elven lying around. So you might get lucky there. Though in general I think they are hard to find. They easily get lost and all that.

elendor_f wrote:The second link does not work in Photobucket unfortunately :( But the story behind it is great!
How about this one: http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/thetinman1/library/?

I really like the PG and the LSG. Great units. And I like the paint scheme.

Rod

Check out my plog