Elendor's Host of the White Tower

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Elendor's Host of the White Tower

#31 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Nice noble. He looks suitably elven and regal. Very clean painting as well. I like him.
+1

The brown horse is interesting. White horses are striking but here attention goes to the brighter rider which is probably a good thing.
elendor_f

#32 Post by elendor_f »

Prince of Spires wrote:Nice noble. He looks suitably elven and regal. Very clean painting as well. I like him.

Points of critique (if you want to hear them). The mold line on the tail shows (in this close up at least), as does the gap between the head and the body of the horse. I admit I'm too lazy to fix those points most of the time as well. But it's an area of possible improvement.

Also, it feels as if the model could use some (more) washes to add depth and shading to the model.

Rod
I indeed want to listen to critique of course ^^
With the mold line I admit to being a lazy ass :( Probably I should buy some green stuff and I think I can cover it without it looking weird.
Regarding depth you are right, I will probably re-visit the model to try to add some highlights. Since I am a bit strained for painting time I am trying to paint more models and then once my 2000p army is painted I will add some extra details.
SpellArcher wrote:
+1

The brown horse is interesting. White horses are striking but here attention goes to the brighter rider which is probably a good thing.
Thanks! I kinda wanted to experiment with brown horses, I wasn't sure about the brown horse + blue cloth but it turned out decent.
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
elendor_f

#33 Post by elendor_f »

I got some metal Sea Guard on eBay, around 30 of them for a good price, so I have started by painting 5!

Since I only had 16 plastic Spearelves I will use these 5 to get a full unit of 20/21 :)

I need to apply some extra details, like the gems and the blade of the spear (and the shields), but I think I will paint some Dragon Princes first and revisit these guys later on.
I am trying to paint up to a decent level the army I will use for the tournament on 21st October :)
I have on the queue five dragon princes and 5 silver helms which is pretty doable, but then also a Teclis cosplaying as vanilla Archmage, I am a bit afraid of that one :roll:

I feel kinda comfortable with painting now, and I think the results are clean enough, but I should really learn some highlight techniques #-o
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#34 Post by SpellArcher »

I like the blues and greens together.
elendor_f

#35 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks SpellArcher :) I was trying to use colours that remind of the sea a bit, but green dominated a bit more than I thought.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#36 Post by SpellArcher »

The green looks fine to me elendor. It characterizes the unit and the other colours will tie it in with the rest of the army.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#37 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:The green looks fine to me elendor. It characterizes the unit and the other colours will tie it in with the rest of the army.
My feeling as well. Especially when seen from a distance I think (most of the time models are viewed from half a meter or more away, and not close-up after all).

Looking forward to the complete unit. They really are great models. So finding them for a good price is always nice.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
elendor_f

#38 Post by elendor_f »

Last week before attending the tournament I managed to paint 5 Dragon Princes :D
I didn't have time to paint their shields, but I guess I will do it next.
I'm kinda satisfied with the end result, although probably I should make something for the banner, plain white is, well, plain :).

Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#39 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looking good. I think the turquoise works very nicely.

And I agree that having a unit charge into battle waving a white flag might send the wrong signal ;)

You could opt for a simple rune or get a decal transfer.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#40 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Looking good. I think the turquoise works very nicely.
I agree, nice paint job elendor.
elendor_f

#41 Post by elendor_f »

First of all Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, etc etc :D

I have been busy with real life stuff but I have painted an elf hero on foot from Dark Sword Miniatures and the remaining 6 Swordmasters I had laying around.
I still need to write battle reports for the October tournament though!

Elf Hero (works well as vanilla Prince/Noble and as Loremaster!)

I need to work on the sword, and perhaps the orange touch in the armour wasn't the best choice, but overall I am happy with the colour scheme.

Swordmasters

I need to work on some details like the swords and the gems, but I was a tad lazy :roll:
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#42 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:I still need to write battle reports for the October tournament though!
Yes please elendor!

:)
elendor_f wrote:overall I am happy with the colour scheme.
The colours are great! Maybe their exact distribution isn’t quite perfect but the armour looks appropriate to me.
elendor_f wrote:Swordmasters
These look fine.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#43 Post by Prince of Spires »

Happy new year to you too :)

I like the hero. The colour scheme is very different from the usual. But it works together. It van use a few tweaks. Indeed the orange on the armour is a bit hard to notice on the orange.
elendor_f wrote:I need to work on some details like the swords and the gems, but I was a tad lazy
A very common issue for me as well. With so many details on HE models, at the end it feels like playing "find the gem" for a bit too long. And I can be a bit laze and gloss over the gems and the likes.

And bring on the battle reports :D

Rod

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#44 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks for the comments! Hope you are having a good start of the year.

I am bringing some progress I made on my Sea Guard unit, I painted 5 models in September and I have resumed painting the unit this month.
This is how they look like so far:

Still need to paint a banner and all the shields and quivers (and the 2 models on the right who are only primed white at the moment), but so far I am happy.
These models are very enjoyable to paint :D

I also painted a test model for Phoenix Guard, but it needs more work. Here he goes:

This has been quite a productive month! I also painted 4 Maiden Guard (the 5th ed models) during Christmas but I haven't taken pictures yet.

Cheers!
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Olthannon

#45 Post by Olthannon »

Love those old seaguard models, I keep meaning to get some at some point. I'm liking your paint style, the washes have treated you well!
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#46 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:These models are very enjoyable to paint
Some of Gary Morley’s best work Elendor. Again, I really like the colours.
elendor_f

#47 Post by elendor_f »

Olthannon wrote:Love those old seaguard models, I keep meaning to get some at some point. I'm liking your paint style, the washes have treated you well!
Thanks! Indeed my main technique is applying a base colour to each part, then a wash of the appropriate ink for that colour, and then a layer of a brighter colour. It is simple but looks decent enough. I still struggle with proper colour gradients or advanced techniques like NMM, but I plan to keep learning. However(I am a tad lazy and keep painting my own style just to field them in the tabletop, and then revisit them later to add details.

About the models, I was lucky to come across an offer in the Middlehammer Trade group in Facebook from a guy who was moving and was selling 30 mostly unpainted :) I think they pop up once in a while in that group and on eBay, so you can definitely find them, but they are a bit pricy sometimes.
SpellArcher wrote:
elendor_f wrote:These models are very enjoyable to paint
Some of Gary Morley’s best work Elendor. Again, I really like the colours.
Thanks SpellArcher! I am quite happy with the blue and green mixes, I think I'll keep using that mix for the clothes of other units (like the cloaks of Phoenix Guards), as a unifying scheme (although I used more white in previous models).
And I agree that the models are part of the best work he did! I also like a lot his White Lions and Swordmasters :)
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Lynve

#48 Post by Lynve »

A productive early 2019 indeed!

The color choice for your army looks solid and vibrant! It does resemble the pallete used for the 8th edition armybook frontal art a bit with the mix of sea greena and regal blue.
I'm usually sceptic with combining together colors, which lie so close in the almighty color wheel, but you made them work neatly.
I particularly like the way your Sea Guard is turning up but can't wait for the Phoenix Guard to get some more spotlight.

One thing I presonally would like to suggest is giving a bit more highlights to orange parts of your models. It would certainly make them look even brighter. I get that detailing your core troops so much might give you a headache at some point, but boy is it worth the trouble ;)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#49 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice unit of LSG. Those old metal models are wonderful. And the paint scheme you have adds in to their stoic, badass look.
elendor_f wrote:and the 2 models on the right who are only primed white at the moment
They are well hidden in the back at the moment. I only noticed them when going back to the picture after reading this ;)

The PG unit should look equally well if the test model is anything to go by. And fit in nicely with the LSG unit as well.

Rod

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#50 Post by elendor_f »

Prince of Spires wrote:Nice unit of LSG. Those old metal models are wonderful. And the paint scheme you have adds in to their stoic, badass look.
elendor_f wrote:and the 2 models on the right who are only primed white at the moment
They are well hidden in the back at the moment. I only noticed them when going back to the picture after reading this ;)

The PG unit should look equally well if the test model is anything to go by. And fit in nicely with the LSG unit as well.

Rod
Thanks Rod! They are indeed great models :D
I am enthusiastic about painting the PG unit but I need to finish the LSG first, unfortunately I have been a bit lazy since now I need to paint 20 quivers and shields :roll: But I will get it done eventually.
Lynve wrote:A productive early 2019 indeed!

The color choice for your army looks solid and vibrant! It does resemble the pallete used for the 8th edition armybook frontal art a bit with the mix of sea greena and regal blue.
I'm usually sceptic with combining together colors, which lie so close in the almighty color wheel, but you made them work neatly.
I particularly like the way your Sea Guard is turning up but can't wait for the Phoenix Guard to get some more spotlight.

One thing I presonally would like to suggest is giving a bit more highlights to orange parts of your models. It would certainly make them look even brighter. I get that detailing your core troops so much might give you a headache at some point, but boy is it worth the trouble ;)
Thanks! I am glad to have such positive views on the colour scheme :D
I will definitely try to highlight the orange parts more, probably I will need to take a session to go over all the painted models and do it at once. Hopefully by the take I take another picture of all painted models I will have done it.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#51 Post by Prince of Spires »

elendor_f wrote:I need to finish the LSG first, unfortunately I have been a bit lazy since now I need to paint 20 quivers and shields But I will get it done eventually.
It's not actually all that bad with these older models. With the newer models in the range, GW introduced the game of "Find the gem" where after the basic painting is done you can easily spend more then half an hour on a model hunting for and painting all the gems, details and swirly bits they decided to add on. ;) The new LSG models are nice but they have too much stuff stuck on them.

I always find it a bit interesting that the more details and bits GW started adding on to models the less "real character" the models have...

Rod

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#52 Post by elendor_f »

Prince of Spires wrote:
elendor_f wrote:I need to finish the LSG first, unfortunately I have been a bit lazy since now I need to paint 20 quivers and shields But I will get it done eventually.
It's not actually all that bad with these older models. With the newer models in the range, GW introduced the game of "Find the gem" where after the basic painting is done you can easily spend more then half an hour on a model hunting for and painting all the gems, details and swirly bits they decided to add on. ;) The new LSG models are nice but they have too much stuff stuck on them.

I always find it a bit interesting that the more details and bits GW started adding on to models the less "real character" the models have...

Rod
I am perhaps lucky that all my models are 5th/6th edition!
I agree about LSG, the new ones are beautiful and I considered getting them, but the 5th edition ones have a "special thing about them", they just look so cool :D
I think part of the reason for the lack of character is that the heads of the new models look so similar to each other.

On a different topic, I finished the shields for my Seaguard!

Now I only need to paint the quivers...and another 7 models that I left unpainted! :lol: There are also 5 that I need to strip the paint off, and that would complete all 30 of them.

I am also planning to take a couple of pictures of all my models so far, since I have already painted:
16 6ed plastic Spears
20 6ed plastic Archers
18 5ed Sea Guard (I will get 2 more painted before to make 20)
5 6ed Silver Helms
21 6ed Swordmasters
5 6ed Dragon Princes
5 5ed Ellyrian Reavers
2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
2 Giant Eagles
1 Cavalry Noble
1 Noble on foot (Dark Sword Miniatures)
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#53 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice unit. They look very regal and disciplined :)

Looking forward to the rest of the pictures. It's an impressive list of models you have there. They're crying out for a group picture :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#54 Post by Olthannon »

Great looking unit, I like a lot of the detail in those older sea guard models!

Your colour scheme looks really nice and the reds and gold provide good contrast.

Gives me motivation to paint up my last 5 spearmen too!
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#55 Post by SpellArcher »

I agree with the guys, they’re excellent Elendor. Great colour scheme and precise painting.
elendor_f

#56 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like them! :D

I am now trying to decide whether to finally paint Teclis or this one over here: https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/sho ... h-bow.html
I like the original colour scheme a lot, although it looks more Wood Elven than High Elven, but I guess I can tweak some purple into it :)
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#57 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:this one
Nice model.
elendor_f wrote:Teclis
Which one?
elendor_f

#58 Post by elendor_f »

SpellArcher wrote:
elendor_f wrote:Teclis
Which one?
The 6th edition one (for reference: http://www.coolminiornot.com/393665).

I am thinking of a purple tunic and midnight blue cloak, or perhaps the other way around.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#59 Post by Prince of Spires »

tough choice. That female character is very lovely, but you can't really go wrong with Teclis of course.

Looking at your list of models already painted I think I would go with Teclis. You could field him as a generic (arch)mage, which is useful to have for your list. So I think Teclis will be a more useful miniature in that sense.

Rod

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#60 Post by elendor_f »

Prince of Spires wrote:tough choice. That female character is very lovely, but you can't really go wrong with Teclis of course.

Looking at your list of models already painted I think I would go with Teclis. You could field him as a generic (arch)mage, which is useful to have for your list. So I think Teclis will be a more useful miniature in that sense.

Rod
That's actually a very solid reason, you convinced me :)
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!