Elendor's Host of the White Tower

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Elendor's Host of the White Tower

#121 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice to see an update here! :D

They look good. I agree with SA on the crests.

Thanks for sharing. And please do give us an army shot!
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
elendor_f

#122 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks guys!

I think I'll finish 5 Phoenix Guard before taking the army pics, so I'll have a unit of 20 instead of 15 :)
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
elendor_f

#123 Post by elendor_f »

Hi again!

I finished a Bolt Thrower :D

I have also compiled the pictures of my army here, so they are all in one place: https://www.the-ninth-age.com/community ... ndai-host/

I have also managed to get a copy of the new RnF fantasy wargame Oathmark, designed by the same person as Frostgrave. I have skim read it and the first impression has been really good.
The feeling is very 90s Warhammer but with a modern approach to the rules, which I think are very neat. By this I mean that they have cut the common corner cases and kept most of the strategical depth at the same time.
The main difference is that Warhammer is "I Go You Go" and Oathmark is based on alternated activation of units.
The system is d10-based, but you only ever roll 5d10 maximum.

One thing that caught my attention is that it offers a cool Kingdom-building system, sort of like Heroes of Might and Magic. The units you can recruit are based on the territories you own, and your kingdom can feature units from different factions (for example you can have an Elven kingdom and recruit some Dwarves), since no factions are completely opposed to each other.

If you are curious you can read some articles by the designer which explain the main features here, I found them quite interesting.
https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/index ... hmark/?p=1

For example this one is about the Kingdom-building system: https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/desig ... k_kingdom/

The game is also model-agnostic (although there are some Oathmark official minatures too), and has a quite simple approach to bases: all Infantry is 25x25, Cavalry is 25x50, Large guys are 50x50 and Monsters are 50x100. All of my Infantry is on 20x20 bases but it's easy to build movement trays to adjust them.
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#124 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:I finished a Bolt Thrower
Nice, subtle paint job on this one I feel.
Vermis

#125 Post by Vermis »

Nicely done. I don't know if I've seen so many HE with so little white, but it suits them.
elendor_f

#126 Post by elendor_f »

SpellArcher wrote: Nice, subtle paint job on this one I feel.
Thanks! I went for a simple approach.
Vermis wrote:Nicely done. I don't know if I've seen so many HE with so little white, but it suits them.
Thanks! I started with the white-and-blue classic scheme but over time I changed to a turquoise-blue-green scheme :) I use some touches of purple and orange for details, and golden armour for elite units.

I got my last 5 metal Phoenix Guards from eBay last February, and finally the time has come to paint them and finish a unit of 20. I painted 10 of them almost a year ago :oops: (they are in page 3 or 4 I think), and in the meantime I have painted the champion, musician and two more models.
Unfortunately, I broke the banner at some point and I can't find the lower part of the staff anymore. I thought of using a spare metal spear from an Ellyrian Reaver to pin the banner, but it looked a bit difficult. Instead I used the banner from the plastic Archers sprue, which was easy to assemble and glue to the standard bearer.
The only downside is that the banner is big and forces the bearer to be always on the leftmost side of the unit, but it's not a big deal.
I also need to think what to put in the banner, the only freehand I've ever tried is painting runes :)

A picture of those soon to be painted:
I probably need to properly cover the leftmost guy with some white paint (it came like that from eBay), the others were luckily unprimed so I could do it myself.
The halberds are in the plastic bag on the right.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#127 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:Instead I used the banner from the plastic Archers sprue, which was easy to assemble and glue to the standard bearer.
I've used this elendor, it'll give your unit an interesting difference.
elendor_f wrote:I also need to think what to put in the banner, the only freehand I've ever tried is painting runes
From experience if you're a bit uncertain, sticking to stylised designs can be a safer option.
Olthannon

#128 Post by Olthannon »

Looking forward to seeing them painted up. The best trick to freehand I have found is just picking a relatively simple design and painting it up on paper a few times to get the lines in right before going for the actual banner. It gives you time to work out how everything will fit together. Good luck with it!
One foot in the hobby
elendor_f

#129 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks!
I think you are both right, I should pick something simple and practice on paper first.
I am considering a phoenix symbol and some flames below, which should look good and be within my capabilities :lol:
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

elendor_f

#130 Post by elendor_f »

The last five Phoenix Guards are done, and the standard bearer is missing only the banner.

Front:
Back:
(Unfortunately the middle guy came with a broken halberd, but since this will be the back rank it won't be noticed often I hope :lol: ).

Next stop is finishing the standard bearer, and then I'll take a picture of the complete unit and some army shots before continuing with a Dragon.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#131 Post by SpellArcher »

I do like the cloaks and the purple goes nicely too.
elendor_f

#132 Post by elendor_f »

I've finished the Phoenix Guard unit finally :D
In the end I chickened out of drawing something more complex than a rune and some stars in the banner, after some attempts :oops:

Some pictures of the complete unit:
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

MasterOfNone

#133 Post by MasterOfNone »

Very nice freehand on the banner!
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Olthannon

#134 Post by Olthannon »

That's not chickening out, I think the freehand looks great! They look really good all ranked up!
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#135 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:In the end I chickened out of drawing something more complex than a rune and some stars in the banner
Lol, my Battle Standard design is like a simplified version of this!

:)

I agree with the guys, it looks great.
elendor_f

#136 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks everyone! :)
I am actually satisfied with the result of the banner, but before I had tried to draw a phoenix symbol (like the 3D one close to the top of the staff) but it didn't look good and I got a bit frustrated :lol:
SpellArcher wrote: Lol, my Battle Standard design is like a simplified version of this!

:)
I didn't know! I'll have to go searching in your paint thread :wink: .

All in all I am satisfied with the unit.
Next step on the list is the Dragon of Imrik, the metal mounted Mage (this guy: https://images.app.goo.gl/biQ8c6s8CYyXXgyEA) and Imrik himself, but before completing those I will take some army pictures (finally :lol: ).
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#137 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:I didn't know! I'll have to go searching in your paint thread.
I snapped it elendor as my earlier pics are no longer showing (Photobucket), hope you don’t mind me posting it here:

elendor_f

#138 Post by elendor_f »

Not at all SpellArcher!

Nice job on the rune, it captures better the "tears" feeling of the rune :D
And these old cavalry models are quite charming.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

elendor_f

#139 Post by elendor_f »

While I paint the Dragon and its two possible riders, some army pictures!
(I did not include my Archers and Swordmasters since I am considering adapting them to the turquoise/green/blue colour scheme).

Whole army

Some close ups:

Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#140 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:turquoise/green/blue colour scheme
This really comes across, a 'marine' touch.
elendor_f

#141 Post by elendor_f »

SpellArcher wrote:
elendor_f wrote:turquoise/green/blue colour scheme
This really comes across, a 'marine' touch.
Glad it is the case :)
I started with the idea to have a colour scheme fitting to Saphery, but over time I decided I like more this marine touch, since High Elves are very connected to the sea. I guess now it fits more Yvresse or Eataine :lol:

Btw a friend suggested to change the sides of the bases to dark brown, as the green is a bit redundant with the grass I use on the top of the bases. What do you all think? I feel a bit lazy to do it, but it does not sound like a bad idea.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#142 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote:change the sides of the bases to dark brown
Might be worth doing some test models, I leave mine black. Your green looks OK to me though elendor.
elendor_f

#143 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks SpellArcher, indeed testing sounds like the best approach. I'll try next time :)
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Olthannon

#144 Post by Olthannon »

Great to see a full army shot (reminds me I need to do the same on the future).

Although it would be a total pain you could delve further into the marine scheme and change the bases to more of a sea theme?
One foot in the hobby
TyrrenAzureblade

#145 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Seeing a full army picture makes my heart swell. They look great and formidable!
elendor_f

#146 Post by elendor_f »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote:Seeing a full army picture makes my heart swell. They look great and formidable!
Thanks a lot!! :D
Olthannon wrote:Great to see a full army shot (reminds me I need to do the same on the future).

Although it would be a total pain you could delve further into the marine scheme and change the bases to more of a sea theme?
Thanks! I think I am too lazy for it and I still have too many unpainted miniatures :lol: But it would be cool I think, although I am not completely sure how I would do it. I have seen some really amazing bases with cobblestones and water, I think that would fit, but it's a bit too advanced for my hobby knowledge at the moment.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

elendor_f

#147 Post by elendor_f »

Long time no see!

I have finally picked up my brushes again and I painted a Giant Eagle yesterday. The model is a Pathfinder Deep Cuts: Giant Eagle, and it is a really enjoyable model to paint: it's a single piece so no need to assemble anything, came pre-primed, and the plastic support bit is really stable so it won't break easily.

Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#148 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:59 pm have finally picked up my brushes again and I painted a Giant Eagle yesterday.
I love him Elendor, great colours!
Azaam

#149 Post by Azaam »

Nice model with very nice colors ! I like the frosty feeling that's coming out of it.
Good job !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
elendor_f

#150 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks a lot!
I like to imagine that the Eagles from the Annulii have some unusual colours :D
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!