Elendor's Host of the White Tower

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

TyrrenAzureblade

Re: Elendor's Host of the White Tower

#151 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Very nice, looks great! Thanks for posting the model info too, I'd like to find something plastic, that isn't as big as the LotR eagles I'm currently using.
elendor_f

#152 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks!
I think this model fits very well what you're looking for.
Link for reference: https://www.miniaturemarket.com/wzk90202.html
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Olthannon

#153 Post by Olthannon »

Really cool looking eagle, that blue is very interesting.
One foot in the hobby
elendor_f

#154 Post by elendor_f »

Olthannon wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:21 pm Really cool looking eagle, that blue is very interesting.
Thanks Olthannon :)
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

elendor_f

#155 Post by elendor_f »

I have had some time this weekend to finish 2 Swordmasters that I had bought some time ago.
The paint on the sword ended a bit thicker than I intended, but overall I had fun painting them :)

Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#156 Post by SpellArcher »

I especially like the second shot.
Azaam

#157 Post by Azaam »

I like the colors you used. It gives a very different feeling than what we're used to see for Swordmasters.
Also the base are pretty good.
Nice job !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
elendor_f

#158 Post by elendor_f »

SpellArcher wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:54 pm I especially like the second shot.
It looks cleaner, definitely :)
Azaam wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:17 am I like the colors you used. It gives a very different feeling than what we're used to see for Swordmasters.
Also the base are pretty good.
Nice job !
Thank you!
I am now considering to repaint the other 21 Swordmasters I have with these colours, but laziness is probably stronger than me for now :lol:
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#159 Post by Prince of Spires »

elendor_f wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:25 pm I am now considering to repaint the other 21 Swordmasters I have with these colours, but laziness is probably stronger than me for now :lol:
As my painting improves my older mini's will start looking worse by comparission. However, I long ago decided to never repaint a mini unless there was nothing else to paint. I would much rather have a fully painted army where half looks only acceptable because I painted them a long time ago than having an army of which only 1/3 is painted to a good standard by repainting those minis several times. There's always something which can improve. But perfect is the enemy of done. And you can just use the less well done minis in the middel of a unit somewhere, where no one will actually notice them.

So I would vote to just keep moving forward.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Olthannon

#160 Post by Olthannon »

Really nice work on those swordmasters. I agree with Azaam, the bases are great.
One foot in the hobby
TyrrenAzureblade

#161 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Really digging that color scheme on the swordmasters! What was the inspiration for that combination of colors?
elendor_f

#162 Post by elendor_f »

Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:38 pm As my painting improves my older mini's will start looking worse by comparission. However, I long ago decided to never repaint a mini unless there was nothing else to paint. I would much rather have a fully painted army where half looks only acceptable because I painted them a long time ago than having an army of which only 1/3 is painted to a good standard by repainting those minis several times. There's always something which can improve. But perfect is the enemy of done. And you can just use the less well done minis in the middel of a unit somewhere, where no one will actually notice them.

So I would vote to just keep moving forward.
I think this is the best approach, otherwise I would never achieve any progress, and as you say the less well done can always go to the middle.
And I have a lot to paint, so I better get going!
Thanks for the words of encouragement :)
My next step is finishing Minaithnir, and later its two possible riders, Imrik and the Mage rider from 5th/6th edition (I put a small magnet in the neck so they can be swapped).
Olthannon wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:08 pm Really nice work on those swordmasters. I agree with Azaam, the bases are great.
Thank you! They are the easiest part for me, but I am glad they look good :)
TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:05 am Really digging that color scheme on the swordmasters! What was the inspiration for that combination of colors?
Thanks! I began with a classic blue-and-white colour scheme, but over time I started to experiment a bit with colours and I ended up liking using different shades of blue and green for my army, so it became the main combination.
It gives a bit of a "marine" feeling to the army (so perhaps the title of this thread is not so accurate anymore :lol: )
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

elendor_f

#163 Post by elendor_f »

A WIP of the Dragon and its Mage rider! Imrik is still only primed :)

Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#164 Post by SpellArcher »

Impressive!
Olthannon

#165 Post by Olthannon »

Really like the colours on the dragon, makes it look like something that's just risen out the depths. I'd maybe say the mage could do with a different colour though, to create more contrast!
One foot in the hobby
elendor_f

#166 Post by elendor_f »

SpellArcher wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:11 pm Impressive!
Thanks!
Let's see if I can make the Dragon look a bit "shinier" now.
Olthannon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:55 am Really like the colours on the dragon, makes it look like something that's just risen out the depths. I'd maybe say the mage could do with a different colour though, to create more contrast!
Thank you, I imagine the Dragon indeed related to the sea :)
I agree regarding contrast, but as the mage model is supposed to go on a horse, the gap between the legs is too wide and I thought it may look a bit funny on top of the dragon, so I went with a similar colour for the legs, hoping it doesn't stand out too much.
But I chose more red and orange for the rest of the Mage (the sword, the armour) so there is some contrast hopefully.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

elendor_f

#167 Post by elendor_f »

I had some spare time and motivation last evening and I finished the Mage of ice and fire :D
I had fun painting the staff and the sword, although I should really look at some Youtube video on how to improve faces.

There he is (this picture shows a bit the slightly awkward gap between the legs I mentioned).
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#168 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:01 pm I had fun painting the staff
It’s a nice staff.
Azaam

#169 Post by Azaam »

Vibrant color ! I love what you did with the mage and his ice and fire duality !
For the gap, maybe you could use some milliput or green stuff to fill it. I actually have the same problem with the one I bought and that's what I intend to do !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
TyrrenAzureblade

#170 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Keep the host growing! Looks great!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#171 Post by Prince of Spires »

He looks great indeed. I love the bright colors. As for the gap, I don't think many people will notice. I didn't until you pointed it out to me and I had the benefit of a close-up photo. Of course, if you do want to fix it, you could look into creating some kind of green-stuff saddle.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
elendor_f

#172 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks! I am glad you like the colours! The next Mage I paint should probably have a different colour scheme, as I used the same one I did for Teclis more or less.
The green stuff saddle idea is probably the best one, I have never used green stuff but thankfully someone in YouTube will have a tutorial :)
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#173 Post by Prince of Spires »

Greenstuff is not that hard to work with. Give it a try. The best tip I've ever had about working with it is to use water to prevent it from sticking to stuff. Greenstuff is very sticky, which can make it a pain to work with. But if you use wet tools / fingers then the water prevents it from sticking and it's much easier to work with. Don't overdo the water and you should be good to go :)

Check out my plog

elendor_f

#174 Post by elendor_f »

Long time no see!

I took a long break from the hobby, but recently I have taken my brushes again :)

I managed to get the standard bearer model for the Maiden Guard, and luckily I had a couple of flags from the plastic Spearelves sprue.
Runes are the top of my freehand ability, so I opened my 6th HE book and picked two that fit the unit: Saroir (eternity, infinity) and Cadaith (grace, power, music of the stars)

Then I remembered that the lance of the Dragon Princes' standard bearer had broken in half and I had been neglecting to repair it.
The lance is pretty thin so pinning the two pieces was hard, and I finally managed to fix it with just with glue.
The banner itself was unpainted, so runes again: Caladai (the dragons of flame) fits the Caledorian knights perfectly.

Next I had my unit of metal Ellyrian Reavers with unpainted rider, and the other four could benefit from fixing some details.
To be honest the models were not the most fun to paint, but it would be a shame to leave them half done.
Not super happy with the result, but it's good that they are done.

Finally, one of my two Bolt Throwers was painted by 15-year old me and, while it was not terrible, I decided to strip the paint and doing it again from scratch.
Now the itch to paint it better is gone I guess :lol:

It was good be painting again, now I need to decide what to paint next :)
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#175 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:49 am Long time no see!
Welcome back Elendor.

:)
elendor_f wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:49 am Runes are the top of my freehand ability, so I opened my 6th HE book and picked two that fit the unit: Saroir (eternity, infinity) and Cadaith (grace, power, music of the stars
I'm with you on this, good job.
elendor_f wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:49 am Dragon Princes' standard bearer
I like this guy's understated look.
elendor_f wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:49 am Finally, one of my two Bolt Throwers was painted by 15-year old me and, while it was not terrible, I decided to strip the paint and doing it again from scratch.
That's dedication.
elendor_f wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:49 am It was good be painting again, now I need to decide what to paint next
We'll be very interested to see it!
elendor_f

#176 Post by elendor_f »

Thanks SpellArcher :)

I have decided that next I will paint the Avatars of War elf mage that I got as a gift from a friend, since it represents her character from a Warhammer RPG game we played a couple of years ago.
I assembled and primed the model, so the painting can start!

In the meantime I revisited a character model I painted some years ago, which I think fits well a Loremaster.
I wanted to make it a little bit brighter and cleaner, and I am happy with the result (left is before, right is after):
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#177 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:28 pm I assembled and primed the model, so the painting can start!
Awaited with interest!
elendor_f wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:28 pm I revisited a character model I painted some years ago
I'm feeling that purple! That's an 80's colour scheme right there.
elendor_f

#178 Post by elendor_f »

SpellArcher wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:29 pm I'm feeling that purple! That's an 80's colour scheme right there.
Thanks! I tend to like these colourful schemes, although it was not my intention from the beginning :)
SpellArcher wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:29 pm Awaited with interest!
The elf sorceress was delayed due to painting this Giant that I was going to use in an event as an Albion Giant (unfortunately I could not attend due to getting sick :( )
The model is a stone giant for D&D.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#179 Post by SpellArcher »

elendor_f wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:52 pm unfortunately I could not attend due to getting sick :(
Sorry to hear that Elendor.
elendor_f wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:52 pm stone giant
Nice browns!
elendor_f

#180 Post by elendor_f »

SpellArcher wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:59 am Sorry to hear that Elendor.
Thanks, I am feeling better now :)
SpellArcher wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:59 am Nice browns!
Thanks!
I thought it could be good practice for eyes, since they are big, but after a couple of failed trials I decided that pupils are too hard.

I decided to adjust my Swordmasters to the blue-and-green scheme of the rest of the army, and also as a chance to fix some my oldest paintjobs.
From 23, I had painted 8 already with this scheme, 3 were fine with painting on top of the current colours, and 12 need to be stripped and repainted.
I had some time to strip and repaint two of them (only 10 more to go :lol: ):

Now I should really start with the mage!
Last edited by elendor_f on Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!