Secret Santa 2016

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

Re: Secret Santa 2016

#31 Post by Domine Nox »

I have no clue what to do. I'm really hoping inspiration will rear it's head soon.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Andrew_uk

#32 Post by Andrew_uk »

Duranthalis wrote:
Malossar wrote:Are we doing public WIPs this year or the usual pms to Queen Aicanor?
The problem I see with WIP pics is that some people have pretty specific color schemes or armies, and thus one can deduce who it's for.
Absolutely agree. When the question said "WIPs" I assumed it meant updates not actual pictures!! Pictures have to be an absolute no surely?
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#33 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with the no WiP pictures when the picture can lead to the recipient. Part of the fun is the surprise after all. Of course, teasers which don't actually show you anything but which can lead to wild speculation are welcome ;)

As for progress, I'm still working on finishing my own HE dragon before starting on my SS project. Just one or two evenings left I think. It's a good motivation to get that thing done and out of the way. So no progress whatsoever. (Haven't even bought the new brushes yet. Too busy at work to head out during a lunch break. Next week will hopefully be better)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#34 Post by Domine Nox »

Finally have inspiration, now to figure out how to pull off the idea.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#35 Post by Aicanor »

OK then - no WIP pics this year either. The updates of your progress are welcome and indeed required by the rules. There are some PM's waiting for some of you, so please check your inbox.
Domine Nox wrote:Finally have inspiration, now to figure out how to pull off the idea.
I have an idea, but the execution of that idea could prove tricky. Depending on bits I can find, it will probably turn up to be completely different. :lol:
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#36 Post by Galharen »

I'm out this year. A lot of things happend lately and warhammer has unfortunately lost my attention at the moment :(
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#37 Post by Ferny »

Is it worth posting here for bits, maybe we'd be able to help eachother out?

Asking "does anyone have a fire pheonix" might rather give the game away, but "does anyone have a sisters torso" would probably be fine, right?

Aicanor - if more people were to sign up could you accommodate them? T9A are discussing (internally) things which could animate the community, not just for posts but to move away from being so rules focussed. If they didn't run something like this themselves, could we signpost people here, or would that complicate things and break the 'small group of trusted folks' vibe?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Aicanor
Rainbows

#38 Post by Aicanor »

@Ferny, we can as long as there are a few. Send me a PM and we can discuss details.
Galharen wrote:I'm out this year. A lot of things happend lately and warhammer has unfortunately lost my attention at the moment :(
I was wondering where you vanished to. I hope all will be well. And there is always next year. ;)
Andrew_uk

#39 Post by Andrew_uk »

First steps accomplished!! I've ordered the models and some fresh basing supplies - should all be here by the middle of next week at the latest. Still really excited about my idea and can't wait to get started.

Progress has been slow regarding my own army. I've washed the reavers and when that dries I'll start highlighting - hopefully I can finish BOTH projects before I move house and complicate everything (that's scheduled for some unknown time somewhere between November and February)!!
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Aicanor
Rainbows

#40 Post by Aicanor »

I still need Gandalf_82 to confirm his presence!
We are a bit short of time this year, so I give you one more week (till 13th October). I hope all is well and it is just the house-decorating bussiness you mentioned that's keeping you from us!
Duranthalis

#41 Post by Duranthalis »

I'm just checking in with an update that everything ordered arrived in good condition and I'm moving on to the next step.
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#42 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I still need to sit down and figure this out. I have gotten back to work on terrain building and painting though. So inspiration should come soon.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#43 Post by Prince of Spires »

I still have no clue what I'm going to make. Not too worried about that yet. Inspiration will come as deadline panic sets in. On the plus side, I have finished the dragon that was still on my painting table. Or almost anyway. Just flocking of the base left to do. Which should be 5 minutes work or so. After that, all my attention will go to the SS project.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#44 Post by Aicanor »

And some inspiration for you:

This of course is the new faction of Elves you just joined by signing up to this thread. 8)
Andrew_uk

#45 Post by Andrew_uk »

In a change to my normal flow I'm painting up the bases and models as two entirely separate jobs - Mainly because this project has given me opportunity to try something entirely new to me. I have to say I am in LOVE with the results so far. Can't wait to finish, post and see the pictures shared on here by my recipient!!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#46 Post by SpellArcher »

Awesome as Andrew's boat was for last year, I'm now wondering if a Christmas theme might have been even more so!

:)

Finished my Flesh Hounds and just played the tournament they were for, they did OK! Troops always appreciate some effort! Next up Secret Santa. Got an idea but need to check how feasible it is.
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#47 Post by Domine Nox »

Stuff is purchased and arrived, just need to figure out the details to put it all together. Hoping the end result is as good as the thought.

Gandalf_82

#48 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Aicanor wrote:I still need Gandalf_82 to confirm his presence!
We are a bit short of time this year, so I give you one more week (till 13th October). I hope all is well and it is just the house-decorating bussiness you mentioned that's keeping you from us!

Panic over and thanks for your patience!

As mentioned I am really struggling for laptop time at the mo so not on here often but definitely committed to this and promise to deliver! (hopefully on time) The worst of the extension is over now (We now have hot water, heating and a kitchen! Woohoo!) so there's light at the end of the tunnel!

I've also nothing on my paint table or any urgent projects i'm working on so this SS will get my full attention until complete. :)
Aicanor
Rainbows

#49 Post by Aicanor »

It seems this year I am breaking my own rules once again and sneaking in another Secret Santa veteran. This time it is Imrik Gwindorian.

@Gandalf_82, glad you are back! Sounds like you've been more than busy. After this, one little Christmas project shouldn't be too hard. :wink:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#50 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aicanor wrote:It seems this year I am breaking my own rules once again and sneaking in another Secret Santa veteran. This time it is Imrik Gwindorian.
The more the merrier. :)
Gandalf_82 wrote:As mentioned I am really struggling for laptop time at the mo so not on here often but definitely committed to this and promise to deliver! (hopefully on time) The worst of the extension is over now (We now have hot water, heating and a kitchen! Woohoo!) so there's light at the end of the tunnel!
It really helps you appreciate all the modern comforts like hot water and heating when you have to do without it for a while in your own home :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Gandalf_82

#51 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Gandalf_82 wrote:As mentioned I am really struggling for laptop time at the mo so not on here often but definitely committed to this and promise to deliver! (hopefully on time) The worst of the extension is over now (We now have hot water, heating and a kitchen! Woohoo!) so there's light at the end of the tunnel!
It really helps you appreciate all the modern comforts like hot water and heating when you have to do without it for a while in your own home :)

Rod
Couldn't agree more! Did make me think we take things like hot water (or even water!), electricity, heating etc. for granted when you think so many people don't even have running water!

I've got some ideas for my SS present, should be able to make a start over the weekend. :)
Andrew_uk

#52 Post by Andrew_uk »

I had plans this weekend for some really good progress on my Secret Santa project... until I realised that I'd left my clippers and knife at my girlfriends (she's just starting a Wood Elf Army). So I defaulted to my second project; the 10 Ellyrian Reavers and 1 Mounted Mage, both of which are sat on my bench looking at me... until I realised that I've done the horse flesh, metals and cloth for them so they really NEED some merchite red adding in to the hems of their clothes and that paint pot is at her flat too.

Soooo I somehow procrastinated and painted up two cold ones being killed by my spearmen. They make some pretty awesome unit fillers actually. If I put both in the same spearmen unit then it will definitely look as though they're in the process of tearing apart a unit of Dark Elf Knights which let's face it is what spearmen should be there for :D

I'll post pictures when they're done.

And I'm seeing Megan on Monday - I might even bring the sprues round for the Secret Santa project so I can actually get them assembled while there. Depends if she's up for some modelling time after a full day at work.

Imrik Gwindorian

#53 Post by Imrik Gwindorian »

Hi guys! Late entry thanks to the mercy of our queen, but here I am!

I play High Elves; Order Draconis, Order Serpentis, Darkling Covens and Daughters of Khaine, with a Caledorian overtone to it all (I love dragons haha). Colours are varied, so feel free to be as creative as you like! I'd honestly be happy to receive anything as a gift, although I do have a lot of high elf models so maybe some Dark/Wood elf conversions would be cool!

I also am on the verge of starting a Death army, based on blood dragon vampires, so maybe a cool vampire would be fun!

Really looking forward to getting started, best of luck to everyone and glad to be back involved!
azur

#54 Post by azur »

Project started, model is roughly 80% assembled.. the details needs to be fixed then its time for the painttable. =)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#55 Post by Prince of Spires »

Idea is slowly forming, though the current idea sounds like a lot of work... I'll have a bit more of a think on it. Good news is that I've at least started thinking. Counts as on time to me. ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Andrew_uk

#56 Post by Andrew_uk »

I got the basic assembly done yesterday. Might need a little liquid green stuff before I start the paint though. Really happy with how it looks :)

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#57 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm way behind where I've been on this other years. Fortunately there is still plenty of time.
Andrew_uk

#58 Post by Andrew_uk »

Finished it this evening :shock:

I'm never this organised!!

I'm staring at the gift now thinking "I can't be finished", but honestly there's no area of the model where I can see that I really think I can still improve

I've not skimped on shading or highlighting either. I guess I was just lucky that I worked out an idea the second I was given a name.

So ermmmmm back to my own Elves then I guess? And when can I post? In some ways I'd rather not post until the main rush comes on so at least mine can get disguised in amongst the traffic :p

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#59 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Last year we waited for the boss lady to give the ok. It seemed to mostly help.
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#60 Post by Domine Nox »

Figure you want it to arrive as a Christmas present, so end of November I would think should be the earliest you send it off.