Temporary glue

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Doctor

Temporary glue

#1 Post by Doctor »

Hi,

I wonder what temporary gluing metod will be best (to glue riders to the horses before painting them separately, for example). Methods I've figured out or found on the net:

1. A bit of green stuff.
2. A bit of super glue
3. A bit of white glue
4. Rubber glue (?)
5. Blu tack
6. A bit of hot glue.

Hot glue is out of the question, I don't have the equipment. Options 1,2,3 I could try out without buying anything extra.

Any thoughts?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Temporary glue

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

I always found GW's superglue to be temporary.

Amazed to find other superglue actually makes things stay stuck!

:)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

As a general rule I try to stay away from GW glue (of any variety really). It just doesn't stick stuff together well.

I think it depends a bit on what you hope to achieve. I use blue tack (though mine is actually white) if I want to get an idea of how stuff looks put together. The others are too sticky, and especially white glue might leave some residue you can see afterwards. For a quick look I simply hold stuff together.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#4 Post by Aicanor »

SpellArcher wrote:I always found GW's superglue to be temporary.
I wanted to write the exact same thing about GW plastic glue. :lol:
I use "blue tack" (our variety is also white) to hold the model or base in place when painting. For conversions I usually use a thin wire to pin the parts to place (it gives some room for positioning) or green stuff (it can be pried off if needed). Or both. It has the added benefit of holding the model together after permament glue is applied. I do not trust any glue after some of my models started to fall apart on slightest touch. Grrr. :mrgreen:
Doctor

#5 Post by Doctor »

Thanks for the answers. I want to glue my silver helms to their horses so I'll be able to field them normally and then (when I find enough time) remove the temporary glue to paint the elves and horses separately. Similarly I could use this temporary glue method to attach miniatures to their bases.

Blue tack (or is it blu tack?) would be helpful during the assembly process, that's for sure.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Doctor wrote:Thanks for the answers. I want to glue my silver helms to their horses so I'll be able to field them normally and then (when I find enough time) remove the temporary glue to paint the elves and horses separately. Similarly I could use this temporary glue method to attach miniatures to their bases.

Blue tack (or is it blu tack?) would be helpful during the assembly process, that's for sure.
Riders to horses is easy enough, and the blutack works great for that. Minis to bases is a different ballgame...
John Rainbow

#7 Post by John Rainbow »

I used pins on mine. Pin in the horse, drilled hole in the riders *ahem*. Makes them much easier to transport too.
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#8 Post by Ricold »

Way to lower the tone John ;)
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Doctor

#9 Post by Doctor »

About blue tack, is there any substantial difference between "original" and "handy" variety? I'm guessing it;s the same stuff with different packaging?

As for pinning the riders, I don't have proper drills for it. Good point about transport, though.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#10 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

John Rainbow wrote:I used pins on mine. Pin in the horse, drilled hole in the riders *ahem*. Makes them much easier to transport too.
This is actually what I do for painting the rider, and it worked well back when I played with unpainted minis, and had more of a need to frequently transport them. These days I already have enough painted minis to play warhammer, so painting things on horses is mostly just for fun. And since when we do play it's in my garage the need to transport is minimal. So these days I end up pinning them like you describe (it's nice to hold the legs and torso together anyway) and then just glue it to the horse as well. I'm sure I'll regret it someday, but not yet.
Doctor wrote:As for pinning the riders, I don't have proper drills for it. Good point about transport, though.
You can get them off ebay for $8.00 with free shipping in the US. I'm not sure where you are, but probably you can find something similar. They are well worth it. Don't buy fancy pins either. For small stuff use a staple. For things like this a small paper clip is perfect.
John Rainbow

#11 Post by John Rainbow »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:You can get them off ebay for $8.00 with free shipping in the US. I'm not sure where you are, but probably you can find something similar. They are well worth it. Don't buy fancy pins either. For small stuff use a staple. For things like this a small paper clip is perfect.
Seconded. I got a small pin-vice off of eBay (actually the GW drill is one of the best I've used) and use paperclips as the pins.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#12 Post by Ferny »

+3. I was astounded at the difference pinning made to my modelling, and I just picked up a cheap* one from GW and used paperclips.

*+GW tax!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Doctor

#13 Post by Doctor »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll consider pinning. I'll also buy Blu Tack.

Wouldn't it be easier to glue the pin to the rider, not the other way around? The horse is hollow inside. Is it firm enough?
Could someone maybe post a photo?

What diameter of drills do you find the most useful?

@ Ferny: why did it made so much difference? :)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#14 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

For sure I glue the pin to the rider. I even drill all the way up into the torso (I use the dremel for metal minis rather than a hand drill). That way the pin helps hold the mini together along with holding him on the horse.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#15 Post by Ferny »

Suddenly I could make joints hold! For example, old metal PG - glueing their arms (with halberd) onto the body only has a very small contact zone - add a hole and a pin and suddenly the glue has the length of the pin for contact also, and the connection isn't just flush but is also inserted.

Fixing things like broken lances and banners - same thing - tiny contact zone suddenly massively re-enforced.

I actually tend to pin a lot of things now which strictly don't need it because I value the extra hold it gives.

RE: drill size - I just use whatever it came with, but sometimes I feel I need a smaller one (e.g. sometimes it 'splits' a lance if you're drillign up the length of it).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#16 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Honestly start with a small set. Something like this will give you options to work with, and learn what you like best. http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pc-Mini-Micro ... SwDk5UEGWU

And yes, I'm very glad I have the small bit to use on lances and the like, and staples make great pins for that. I pin pretty much everything on metal minis now, and all repairs on plastics as well.
Doctor

#17 Post by Doctor »

I wouldn't call that set small, comparing to what's available here :) Generally I have options like a 0,3 - 1 mm drill set, 1-2 mm drill set etc. I guess the smaller one would be better. I can also buy single drills. Or GW, Tamiya ones.

Fixing broken lances - I also thought about that. Very useful application. It will also help to assemble my 5 ed dragon ;)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#18 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Yep, the old metal dragons more or less require pinning.