Painting and Modelling Showcase: Characters on foot

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Painting and Modelling Showcase: Characters on foot

#1 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome to the first Painting and Modelling Showcase of 2016. The category is, by popular demand, characters on foot.

The goal of the painting showcases is to let people show off their painted units, beasts and characters. New, old, ancient, alternative, newly painted or vintage - everything goes. And it's not just newly painted models, but all models painted over the years are welcome.

So, share some pictures with us of your models and perhaps a pointer or two how you achieved the painting results.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Painting and Modelling Showcase: Characters on foot

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

BSB

He was a Beastmaster from the 3rd edition elf range, originally he would come with a bear. The standard is from the metal Lord of Slaanesh (on Worm). I like this banner so much, my Wood Elf and Daemon armies also use it. You can't quite see from the photo how cool it is! Here, I cut away the Slaanesh symbol at the top, widened the gap slightly and glued in the banner top from the old metal White Lions. Job done!

There's a bit of a Roman Aquilifer thing going on here. The animal skin hood for example. Bear is a slight shift from Lion here. Just as Phoenix is from Eagle. John Blanche wrote a very interesting article in WD some years back. His point was that GW doesn't simply 'steal' archetypes, it develops and reinterprets them. On a smaller scale, I feel this is true of our painting and modelling too.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#3 Post by Aicanor »

Brace yourselves, this is going to be a long post. :lol: As you started with standard bearers SA, here is mine. My first character conversion.

Isilmir, Standard Bearer of House Nenuvar (now usually stepping in as Archer Standard).

Calandil, first character I ever painted

Tinwal (Taimavar Nenuvar) as an Archmage

Alcaran Nenuvar (Althran)

Korhil

Laimar (another standard bearer)

Nirwain Nightwalker, Shadow Mage (IoB mage conversion)

Lady Ilweran Nenuvar (Avatars of War mage)

Infiltrated Dark Elf - Lokhir Fellheart, one of my favourite models

Teclis, now OOP, slightly converted

Tinwal Nenuvar as Loremaster (Loremaster model conversion (or resculpt))

And some Secter Santa and exchange projects

2012 - Elithmar (I am not sure this can be counted as character on foot). Count as Eagle at the time, but note the mini Phoenixes :mrgreen: )

Sealord (for Shannar)

2013 - Everqueen

And I also found this old poster starring Lothern Poster Boy...

I probably can add some more, mostly non HE characters. :)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Where to start?

:)

I haven't seen much of your work Aicanor, just very high quality all round. I particularly liked the first banner, the cloaks and the Loremaster. But that Everqueen...

Looks like a conversion, if so, how and from where? Sheer level of detail makes her look like a painting. She's just fantastic, so numinous and animated. Best of all, she looks mean.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#5 Post by Aicanor »

Thanks, SA! I forgot to mention I really like your vintage BSB. He looks the veteran of many battles. I really started to like the old metals lately. :)
SpellArcher wrote:But that Everqueen... Looks like a conversion, if so, how and from where? Sheer level of detail makes her look like a painting. She's just fantastic, so numinous and animated. Best of all, she looks mean.
It is based off plastic DE Sorceress. Here is the unpainted model:

And I forgot one of my favourites in my last post... He is Wood Elf hero made into a Shadow Prince.

Really looking forward to more pics from people. Everybody must have at least a couple of characters standing on the shelf surely? :wink:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

I always think with conversions that the trick is not to go mad. Change what you need to change to get the effect you're after and no more. I think you've achieved that here Aicanor.
Aicanor wrote:Thanks, SA! I forgot to mention I really like your vintage BSB. He looks the veteran of many battles. I really started to like the old metals lately.
Thank you! It's just a different look, there's something stark about them that I really like. You get the full effect better in units and armies. I know my limits as a painter and try to focus on accuracy, colour balance and getting any conversion that needs to be done (sometimes converting is a mistake) right.

Archmage

This guy is from the old Elven Attack Chariot set. Originally, he had a hawk on his left arm. I removed this arm close to the elbow and added the staff arm, from an obvious source! Now and then I think the staff is a little big but on the whole I'm happy with it. It gives the model impact, especially in a unit or army. The model is a huge favourite of mine. The side of his face you can't see is almost deformed, almost birdlike. No idea if this is simply a miscast but it's eerie. He has a sharp, aquiline face too, which is accentuated by the hair. He looks like he's striding forward purposefully and I feel the angle of the staff helps this. Like your Everqueen Aicanor, this guy means business.
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#7 Post by Ricold »

Aicanor wrote:Really looking forward to more pics from people. Everybody must have at least a couple of characters standing on the shelf surely? :wink:
Less so the miniatures, more so photos sitting on the server that I can share:

If you want to see how good I was at painting aged approx 11, it's really rather awful: (Sense of scale, I'm fast reaching three times that age)

Just in case you don't recognise him, that's a completely original Skarsnik model from the 4th ed Goblin range. Probably do have the model around somewhere.

The next is actually an elven miniature, one of few I have owned since I sold my small High Elf force:

Yeah, I can't paint. I consider it a passable conversion though, being a cobble of various miniatures, notably the 6th ed HE archer sprue. The two arms are from different sprues, but I can no longer remember which, and the goblet is a metal one from the Bretonnian 5th ed range I think. This guy served as a RPG character at one stage.

Next, and slowly getting better painted, is an undead orc champion. I realise the Tomb Kings generally represented humans only, but I saw no reason why the captain of the guard couldn't be an orc, so I took a bit of inspiration from some VC players, and converted up the recently slaughtered orc as his raised skeleton. The mini has a moderate amount of green ink added because otherwise he looked really non orcish. Not a fantastic piece of work, but represents a lot of effort on my part:

Following the previous exercise with plastic conversions that generated the elf above, when I joined a mordheim campaign some years later, I decided to make a few more customised miniatures from assorted plastic sprues. I only have pictures of a single one sadly, and haven't seen the actual miniatures in many years.

ImageImage

This was my commander, ducking down quickly to consult the rule book. I don't recall this ever helping, probably because that's the WFB rule book, not the mordheim one. This was a deliberate choice, I thought it would make my friends smile. Still not fantastic painting, but you can see the improvement I've made.

One more character, then just a pic commenting on painting. This final character looks like a rather interesting liche from my Tomb Kings force. Although, that's not what the miniature was sold as. This is my proudest "conversion" in some respects, as he makes a rather impressive liche, and all I did was paint up an old Empire wizard model in liche colours. No actual modification at all.

A final comment on painting. As I contribute to threads like this, you will mainly see photos of miniatures from the era when I actually collected and played this game heavily. There are a few miniatures since then (like the dwarf below), but most of my painting was done for playing.... and I haven't played Warhammer in a decade, and a lot of my playing was done pre-millenium. Consequently if the painting looks like it was done by an unskilled 12 year old, that's probably because it was. I have never been much of an artist.

More recently, I've generated a few miniatures for other projects, and have discovered that while I still lack the talent a lot of you show off, I have improved considerably. So while he's not a character, I hereby present a passably painted miniature!

Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

It's a nice Dwarf Ric. Plus I quite like your Skarsnik! The Mordheim conversion is really good.

Obviously painting of Aicanor's standard is very impressive. But other models can be interesting too.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

When I consider my own painting skills (and patience...) at 11 then the skarsnik is actually painted quite well. And it's always great to see the improvement in ones skills in such a thread.

And yes, Aicanor's models are tough to compete with. Great painting and lots of colors. Far above what I can manage.

As for my own characters on foot, roughly in chronological order:

Elemental mage:
One of the earliest models I painted, over 5,5 years ago. And I'm still quite happy with it. I tried a lot of new things on this model. And some of it turned out all right at least.

Prince on foot. From the plastic HE prince / bsb kit. Always useful to have lying around

Caradryan, currently involved in a bloody battle vs skaven

Sea helm BSB
My feelings about this guy are a bit ambivalent. It's a nice model. On the other hand, the pre-modelled banner leaves very little room for your own input.

Lastly, some models that also deserve being put here.
First, the Secret Santa gift I received this year
A lovely model received from Galharen. He'll definitely see a lot of use in battles.

And then the Secret Santa model I made 4 years ago (I think) for Asurion Whitestar
Technically probably not a character a such but a unit filler. But close enough I think :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Great painting and lots of colors. Far above what I can manage.
Your colour balance is excellent Rod.

Wood Elf Mage

So I thought I'd sneak this lady in. Originally her right hand held a wand with a skull on it, I removed this and replaced the hand. Her right arm was originally level, with a stone held in hand. Again, this was removed and the staff (with hand) added, this came from a mounted mage of the same range. I had to bend the arm down to meet the new hand. I always think a mage looks more powerful with a staff. She was actually painted over 20 years ago but the conversion was last year!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:Your colour balance is excellent Rod.
Thanks. I do it by feel mostly... But my painting, while decent, is not up to Aicanor's standards. She has a much higher level of detail and a cleaner finish. Generally, tabletop standard is about where I stop (actually, I usually stop painting when for every detail I add I break something else...).

I love your model collection SA. The old school models are a bit more timeless then some of the newer ones. They have a bit more grace to them. And you conversions are small but very effective. Also, seeing a collection of your models together like this (and the deamons over in your Segway to hell topic), you have a distinct style I like. More natural and toned down then is standard in WH. And it all fits together nicely.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#12 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I love your model collection SA. The old school models are a bit more timeless then some of the newer ones. They have a bit more grace to them. And you conversions are small but very effective. Also, seeing a collection of your models together like this (and the deamons over in your Segway to hell topic), you have a distinct style I like. More natural and toned down then is standard in WH. And it all fits together nicely.
Thanks very much Rod. I am indeed Old School. The simplicity, the blacklining. Individually the paint jobs are less impressive but they work well in units and armies. I am a huge fan of form in models, the balance in them, the way the model's parts sit together. This is why I don't like stuff like the Skaven characters leaping 20ft into the air (though I do rate Seb Perbet). Compare the older Jes Goodwin sculpts for example, Deathmaster Snikch looks like he's really ghosting along the ground and the balance of the model is fantastic.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#13 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, this has made me realize a couple things. First, I really need to get the camera and lighting situation worked out. Faces and eyes are probably my strongest area, and they are washed out in these photos. Second, I really need to get painting. In all honesty I should be able to put on a impressive display of well painted (not award winning, but well painted) High Elf heros from the 80s to the present. I can't because most of them are bare metal, or chipped so badly that I won't take a picture of them until I re do them (didn't varnish back in the 80s to mid 90s and I've payed for it).

I decided to sick just to HE or I'd flood this thread with mordheim stuff.

Korhil and his Younger brother Korhil

Mordheim High Elves.

Reaper Elves (I use the one as a Dragon Mage on foot, the other mostly only sees the table in Mordheim games as a Ranger)

80s Elf Maiden

Alath Anar

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#14 Post by SpellArcher »

I remember some of these!

You've got quite a naturalistic style Shannar, interesting on High Elves.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#15 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:I remember some of these!

You've got quite a naturalistic style Shannar, interesting on High Elves.
It's funny that you say that. Because I've often set down with a high elf and tried to change that. But it always comes back to something like this. Sometimes I want to do fancy free hand on the cloaks, but then I decide it doesn't make sense. This is fighting, not a fashion show. In the past I lacked the skill, now I can do it but it often feels gratuitous.

I've enjoyed looked at your old stuff. A couple of those sculpts are in a box waiting for paint (or repaint). At first I thought your mage was yet another variant of that sculpt. There are at least two (the one with the hawk, and also one with a staff, but without a fancy top). But then I recognized the topper. Nicely done on it.
Peepster1976

#16 Post by Peepster1976 »

Nice topic.

I have a few characters from my old days... talking 1996-1997. Its from My chaos time. Block of 25 beastmen 2W 4T.... beat that!!
But still really like them

the female vampire is from my friend, he liked to modify some miniature to make them more... euh busty...;-)

grtzz
- The World is a Village -
My Plog : [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44351[/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#17 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:It's funny that you say that. Because I've often set down with a high elf and tried to change that. But it always comes back to something like this. Sometimes I want to do fancy free hand on the cloaks, but then I decide it doesn't make sense. This is fighting, not a fashion show. In the past I lacked the skill, now I can do it but it often feels gratuitous.
This makes sense to me. A model always seems to call for one thing or another. Sometimes a conversion, sometimes freehand, sometimes just a very simple, direct paint job. For some reason my High Elves demanded a lot of converting but a very limited palette and simple painting. I seem to be more ambitious with my Wood Elf schemes for some reason.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I've enjoyed looked at your old stuff. A couple of those sculpts are in a box waiting for paint (or repaint). At first I thought your mage was yet another variant of that sculpt. There are at least two (the one with the hawk, and also one with a staff, but without a fancy top). But then I recognized the topper. Nicely done on it.
Thank you. I never knew there was a staff variant, I thought the only staff guys were on horses.
Peepster1976 wrote:My chaos time.
Most people have a chaos time, mine is at the moment! Love the Slaanesh Champion, classic model, great paint job.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#18 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hello,

I wanted to contribute to this topic so here are my photos:

ImageImage

This is a character I painted for Secret Santa. I really like the model, it was pleasure to paint and I remember I was testing some new paints/ideas. I am not happy with the banner though, I usually paint mine with something very simple. And while this symbol is not complicated I simply didn't have time to correct it.

ImageImage

This is Larry the Loremaster I got for Secret Santa for a change. It was a fantastic surprise and I absolutely love the idea for conversion as well as painting. It emphasized the fact the leader of the Outcasts does not favor rich and flashy clothes other HE nobility might have. I keep using this model all the time!

ImageImage

Archie the Archmage, notorious miscaster as his broken wand shows (I may try to finally pin it properly as the glue alone was never enough). I used this miniature for a very long time but then he was replaced by the above Larry the Loremaster.

And a Warmaster version of Archie:

Thanks!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#19 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I started a handful of preslota elves today. When I finish any of them I will be add them to the thread.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#20 Post by SpellArcher »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:I am not happy with the banner though,
I think it's excellent SM. I love the slightly hazy effect.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Archie the Archmage
Nice rich colours, a bit retro.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Warmaster version of Archie:
This is pure win!

:)

Interested to see how many of those I recognise Shannar.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#21 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, I finished a "fighter mage" today. I have a few more that are close. But since I never know how long "close" is going to take to finish I figured I'd put this one up today. I think I've only got 5 more preslotas (all started) but I've also go a ton of sculpts that were originally preslota but then they redid the molds with a tab instead of a base. I kind of doubt those will be next, but maybe. I like this old stuff.

"War Maid" and "Fighter Mage"
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#22 Post by SpellArcher »

Good stuff Shannar!

I recognise the elf on the left. I think I've got the one on the right somewhere. Part of the range I think of as '2nd edition' I believe, though it could be earlier than that. I always think they have an 'eastern' look to them but there's a fair bit of fur in there.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#23 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

They both have 1984 stamped on the bottom. I didn't pick them up until a year or two after that (I was 5 in 1984) and the models I bought in the early days were dictated by what was on the shelf at the store near my aunts house when we went to that area to visit relatives 2-3 times a year (and often it was November and December).

When I get the other "fighter mage" and one of the "fighter thief" done everyone will see what you mean by and "eastern look"
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:They both have 1984 stamped on the bottom.
1st edition was 1983, Forces of Fantasy 1984. I always think of 2nd edition as 1986 but it could have been 85. I've started painting a model for my daemons, at the foot of this page:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&start=90

I'd have put him around 1989 but when I check the base, 1985! Jes Goodwin possibly.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#25 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Finished another today. Should have been more, but I as more in the mood for cycling in the cold than painting. Hopefully tomorrow...

1985 Was the start of the slota stuff. And thats a pretty cool old demon. The look of it seems like a Jes Goodwin.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#26 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:And thats a pretty cool old demon. The look of it seems like a Jes Goodwin.
Thank you. He's technically a Chaos Sorcerer, vaguely reminds me of the Conan films for some reason. I got him in a set of four that GW offered until quite recently. The others are good too but I like his staff. I suspect he was part of the inspiration for the Changeling model.

I've got that guy of yours on the left somewhere, painted long ago by a friend. The splint greave is interesting for some reason.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#27 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I know it's not February any more, but I finished off the rest (until I find more in a box anyway) of my preslota High Elves (I've lots more of the same style but with slota bases). Here are new (slightly) better pictures to celebrate. Up first are the two "Fighter Mage"s (left, center) and a "Mage" with a lion? cloak.

Next we have a "Fighter" two "Fighter Thief"s and a "War Maid"

I think when/if I paint up some more heros I"ll post them here too, just for fun. What's the subject for march?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#28 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:What's the subject for march?
It's Skirmishers and rare infantry

And feel free to keep posting in this topic of course. We're considering ways in which we can keep these showcases easily available and if we can find a way to have people add more models over time. Your collection of vintage HE models is part of what we hope to achieve here. Have a place where people can show off their models but also a place where people can see what models are out there. So if you have any suggestions let us know.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#29 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:"Mage" with a lion? cloak.
Love this guy! I've got a related model. He's unpainted but I'll try and post a pic for comparison.
Gandalf_82

#30 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Missed this thread but I'll post my contribution anyway. Lovely work though guys, some great models in here!

Here's the only 2 characters on foot I've got painted anywhere near good enough to post! Neither are great but they look decent on the tabletop!