Secret Santa 2015

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

Secret Santa 2015

#1 Post by Aicanor »

There were some planet shattering events this year, but some things never change. Secret Santa is back again to start preparing for the yearly wild ride delivering Christmas presents. If you want to help, sign up and be Santa's Little Helper! :mrgreen:

Sign up will be open to the end of August (August 31st), after that participants will be assigned their projects. It is quite simple – just paint (or even paint and convert) a model to your best ability and in time send it to another member of Ulthuan.net assigned to you. Remember is not a painting competition, everyone can participate. That is the Christmas spirit after all, isn't it?

Based on past years' experience there are guidelines every participant agrees to follow by signing up.

THE GUIDELINES

1. Taking pics of the work in progress AND finished project.

Make sure you have the pics backed-up properly (hard disc crashes and memory card failures happen...). Unfortunately, sometimes the original gets lost in the Warp and the pics are all we have. And of course everyone will want to see the WIP pics!

2. Making regular updates on the project status.
Please check in at least once a month to let everyone know you're still around.

3. Letting us know if you have a problem finishing the project in time.
In case someone is not able to finish the project in time/at all, the sooner we learn of it, the better. - This will not exclude anyone from any future projects – we know things happen outside Ulthuan.

3. Keeping the receipt from your post office.
The post companies worldwide probably give you some kind of confirmation they received a package from you so in case the model doesn't arrive to its destination, you can send a scan of it to the person in charge of the SS project (by PM of course).

Note:
Earliest date for sending the project off will be set at the end of November (so we can wait for the giftee to confirm his continued presence and delay the sending in the case we do not have the confirmation from him/her to further minimize MIA problems.

Of course, even with all these precautions something can go wrong, so everyone entering the project should keep it in mind. But hopefully this will, as a whole, be even more enjoyable than last years' Santas. If any of you have a suggestion what more to do to make the project more enjoyable for everyone, please include it in your sign-up post. It will be heard.

From last years' Secret Santa we still have Il Maestro to deliver (I have seen some WIPs from him, butseems to get in the way). If he can confirm his continuing presence, I will include him in this year's run by default, delivering to Averlorn (if not, the blackist below will be updated). Everything else reached its destination last year.

The Blacklist (2011-2013):

preventer
commander
AiEthimar
pk-ng
Brian Mage
lordoftheshadows
Caradryal
Gizmos
Il Maestro
If you want to be a Secret Santa this year, sign below. Let us know what army (armies) you collect, colour schemes, what you would particularly like to receive. Of course, Santa may still think there is something else you would like/deserve more.
Edit: If you do not wish to post worldwide, tell us where you are able to post.

Sooo... sign in and have fun!

Secret Santa 2014
Andrew_uk

Re: Secret Santa 2015 - SIGN UP!

#2 Post by Andrew_uk »

I'm in :)

Why is Brian Mage on the black list though? I've made (non secret Santa) trades with him before and can vouch for him being a top guy. If something went wrong I'd find it hard to believe he's at fault.

There's lots of other frequent posters in that list too, would they really not bother painting a model and risk their reputation on here?

I've got 2 armies and would be happy with anything for either. Both can be linked to via my sig

High elves - Caledor themed, red dragon armour, red cloth linings, cream cloth, blue plumes, blue gems, lots of gold/silver, flowery bases

WoC - Nurgle themed, green armour, purple cloth, generally grim/silver everything else, snowy bases

I'm happy to receive the model with the basing already done but if you don't want to buy in the snow/flowers just for 1 model then I don't mind doing it either :)

I guess it would be fun to paint up something different if I can, but ultimately I'm happy to paint anything for anyone anywhere

Final point I should add is that I don't play AoS or 8th. I have an occasional game of 7th with our own rules improvements. Therefore don't worry about painting me something which you consider sub optimal. As with my point above you may even find it fun to paint something you don't get to see played so often?
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm in. I collect mainly HE (but I really don't need much more when it comes to those, unless you want to paint something from the 80s- which would be awesome. Cool conversions/other ranges are also always appreciated.), but also almost anything else that I can use for Mordheim.

I'd be really excited about any sort of Dark Elf hero as that's the next warband I want to start, and I have almost nothing for it currently.

But honestly, if there is something you just really want to paint that's fantesy related (and not a sigmarine, please no sigmarines) I'm sure I can find a way to use it in Mordheim.
theviking

#4 Post by theviking »

I'm in.

I have three armies:

Declining HE, lots of leather and steel with province appropriate accents/cloth/streamers, any color except white. I could use a foot or mounted mage or a handmaiden, or even a phoenix if santa is feeling especially giving this year!

Classic OK, grey skin, blue pants, rusty metal. I don't have any yhetees or a thundertusk, or if you're the overachieving sort a maneater converted to match your favorite army.

Dipped Skaven, tan skin, brown fur, clan appropriate cloth, etc. all done up with army painter strong tone. A warlord on foot or bonebreaker would be really cool, a greyseer or a warlock, maybe a master moulder or an abomb, really any character or non-infantry base model.

Last year I got a sweet set of fences, so a nice little forest or another terrain piece would go over well.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#5 Post by Aicanor »

Andrew_uk wrote:Why is Brian Mage on the black list though? I've made (non secret Santa) trades with him before and can vouch for him being a top guy. If something went wrong I'd find it hard to believe he's at fault.

There's lots of other frequent posters in that list too, would they really not bother painting a model and risk their reputation on here?
I didn't make that list up... it can happen to the best of us. That is why I included the third point of guidelines. It doesn't look like much, but in my experience it can be very hard to actually do it.
Malossar
Something Cool

#6 Post by Malossar »

I'm in again. Will update with my letter to Santa closer to the end of he month. Last year was such a nice surprise from Shanar that I'm hesitant to even list anything.

I play high elves (Nagarythe) and Goblin Wolf Riders (Khans!). I also play JSA in infinty and Ten Thunders in Malifaux, White Scars in 30k (more of a hobby project :P ) and also dystopian wars.

Glad to be a part again this year.
Last edited by Malossar on Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#7 Post by Galharen »

I might take part too if you have not enough participants :)
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#8 Post by Domine Nox »

I'm in. I've been missing from the site for awhile due to a feeling of 'meh' since AoS came out, but I'm all for Secret Santa!

Armies I collect

Warhammer: High Elves (Averlorn), Wood Elves (Shadowy, Modryn colors), Warriors of Chaos (Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch), Eldar (Iyanden, Altansar), Space Marines (Fire Hawks), Sisters of Battle (Purple Armor, Black Tabards), Daemons of Chaos (Slaanesh)

Warmachine: Circle Orboros (Lava Theme), Cygnar (Traditional Blue, White and Gold), Retribitution (Red, think Blood Elves from WoW)

But I enjoy surprises as well :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#9 Post by Aicanor »

I am in this year as well and I am so looking forward to it.

I have two armies, High Elves in more or less classic colour scheme (with every other colour added in here and there - check my signature).

My Dark Elves are mostly unpainted Corsair based army. Everything goes.

I am also looking for fun (drunk) dwarf models to add to a Brewery terrain piece I am working on.

PS: Galharen, there are never too many participants. :wink:
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Secret Santa 2015 - SIGN UP (open till August 31st)

#10 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Last years seems to have gone really well, so I was hoping we'd get a little more turn out this year.
azur

#11 Post by azur »

Im in, its a good way to getting back into making fantasy again after Age of... =)
Aicanor
Rainbows

#12 Post by Aicanor »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Last years seems to have gone really well, so I was hoping we'd get a little more turn out this year.
I hope also more people sign up before the time is up.
azur wrote:Im in, its a good way to getting back into making fantasy again after Age of... =)
Welcome! Please tell us which armies you collect, prefered color schemes, pics, where are you willing to send...
Andrew_uk

#13 Post by Andrew_uk »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Last years seems to have gone really well, so I was hoping we'd get a little more turn out this year.
I guess that depends on how people allocate their time to the hobby - AoS has resulted in a loss of community/rules-set/opponents/gaming space in store, as you can see from other threads this seems to vary upon region and group from a marginal loss through to being a near total loss. For some people less time gaming allows for more time painting. For others less time gaming means why bother with the hobby.

I guess it's all dependent on where your priorities are and how you view your hobby time. It's not made much difference for me since I wasn't actively playing 8th anyway. I had *hoped* that the new edition would be the best yet but unfortunately it wasn't. Mostly I'm just annoyed though that GW took a massive dump on the collections of anyone who is a life long hobbyist.
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#14 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Ja, I just meant that secret santa went well last year.

All these other factors have been a drain on most of us. Myself very much included. So I'm not shocked that it's so low so far this year, I'd just hoped for more.
Mostly I'm just annoyed though that GW took a massive dump on the collections of anyone who is a life long hobbyist.
I agree fully. Sort of. I've found it made little actual difference to me. I prefered the old models so I've just stuck to them. I've actually been able to find stuff that I"m looking to add to my collection (so that means 3rd ed or before as I've got everything after) much easier lately. I have no idea why AoS has caused people to decide to part with pre-slotta and Marauder stuff that they've held on to this long but my collection has appreciated it.

Or main game has been Mordhiem for a long long time now, and our recent games of warhammer have sometimes been 8th but often 3rd. The main thing this change has done is made us realize how irrelevant modern GW is to our gaming or hobby. Which is pretty wild given that at least 3/4 of my games related time still goes to GW games.
Andrew_uk

#15 Post by Andrew_uk »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I agree fully. Sort of. I've found it made little actual difference to me. I prefered the old models so I've just stuck to them. I've actually been able to find stuff that I"m looking to add to my collection (so that means 3rd ed or before as I've got everything after) much easier lately. I have no idea why AoS has caused people to decide to part with pre-slotta and Marauder stuff that they've held on to this long but my collection has appreciated it.
Even if AoS hasn't impacted the supply of the models you like it still sounds like it's impacted in secondary and tertiary ways on the community you are invested in? Surely therefore anyone with any kind of established collection should feel a bit peeved at their actions.

Teledor

#16 Post by Teledor »

Honestly my motivation for any hobby time related to GW or WHFB has largely dropped off a cliff due to AoS. It's not that I think my models and armies are worthless, but so much of my hobby desire went toward imagining these models on the table being in battles. Now... I just have a hard time envisioning that.

Especially true because my LGS has pretty much decided to really give AoS a go. Some of the salty veterans aren't pleased, but many other long time WHFB and other war game players are interested. Depressing actually. Part of my annoyance is that I wasn't into checking the rumor mill all the time and invested in a new army last August. So I spent a fair amount of $$$ just to have things completely changed - and not even 7th to 8th kind of change.. But new game change. Also, my daughter was born in January, so hobby time/hobby capital is low and spending on a game or manufacturer that doesn't really seem to care once I hand over my money has irked me to no end.

I am unsure I can work up the motivation to properly make someone a nice Secret Santa model and I don't want to disappoint anyone.

Anyways - TL;DR unless there is an odd number of Santas, I think I am going to pass this year.
Andrew_uk

#17 Post by Andrew_uk »

Teledor wrote:Anyways - TL;DR unless there is an odd number of Santas, I think I am going to pass this year.
Even an odd number of Santas wouldn't actually cause a problem though... A paints for B, B paints for C, C paints for A. Sorted :D

Congratulations on becoming a Dad!!

I'm sorry to hear that AoS has hit your hobby pretty hard - can you and the other Vets get together and meet at some other place with enough space for gaming and maybe agree on a rules set (6th/7th/8th/9th/KoW)?

Giladis
The Merlord

#18 Post by Giladis »

I'll participate as well.
Rowena

#19 Post by Rowena »

I would love to participate as well, if it would be ok for an outsider? I would really like to paint something nice and in this uncertain time need extra motivation. I would hate to paint something for my army and then see all the other Warhammer players quit the game.
I'm mostly known on druchii.net, so the people there would hopefully vouch for me (if you would take their word, of course) My army is half High Elf, though, and I really enjoy being a silent lurker here.

I have (together with my boyfriend) a strongly converted Dark Elf army, the link to my blog should my in my signature.
As to what we would like to receive, anything mounted (a hero or even a single dark rider or a warlock, as we have currently no idea how to make them) or any male heroes, because we already have too many female ones and are expecting even more. We already have very specific ideas for Pegasus heroes and medusas (and for monsters, but those should be too big a gift anyway).
I am willing to ship anywhere.
My painting blog
Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Giladis
The Merlord

#20 Post by Giladis »

Don't worry, the more the merrier :D
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#21 Post by Galharen »

Ok, I'm in.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#22 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I was awfully late this year, but keen to do it again, I need to up my game this year, year before last that griffon was a ton of fun, and last year, I thought was boring. My painting was better though. I don't remember hearing from the person I gave it to, I hope they liked it, and maybe use it.
I'm easy enough to do something for, I'd generally prefer an Elf. I have Asur, Asrai, and Druchii now, along with Mirkwood and Lothlorien elves.
A nice Sea Helm would be cool, heck any Reaver Bow character would be nice, I love that bow.
LotR wise, I'm lacking heroes for my Galadhrim, I only have an armoured Haldir with a bow, and a converted Rumil.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#23 Post by Elithmar »

Ok, I suppose I'll join in too.

My main army is High Elves, although I have a few Wood Elves and might expand that... But really just High Elves. My colour scheme can be seen here - http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37282

Any sort of characters would be good. I'm short of wizards or a sea helm or handmaiden would be nice. Anything really, mounted or on foot.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#24 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Ah good. Things are looking up. And reading these I have ideas. Some are terrain, and some are models that have been waiting for a good home. Can't wait until I know which one I should start on.
Rowena

#25 Post by Rowena »

Giladis wrote:Don't worry, the more the merrier :D
Great, I'm looking forward to it, then. :)
My painting blog
Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
azur

#26 Post by azur »

azur wrote:Im in, its a good way to getting back into making fantasy again after Age of... =)
Aicanor wrote:Welcome! Please tell us which armies you collect, prefered color schemes, pics, where are you willing to send...

So will have to start a blog and upload some pictures, then =)

live in Central Europe (Germany) but should be able to send further if needed.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#27 Post by Galharen »

As I decided to take part again this year, here is a note what my secret-santa might find useful:

Main army and main hobby aim: High Elves.
There are some models in my collection missing so some ideas for my SS.
I'd be happy to get a nice Sea-Helm, another Noble on great eagle, mounted mage, LotR Eagle or flamesphyre phoenix if my SS would be so generous :mrgreen:
Normally my army color scheme was blue and yellow, but now I'm switching to the red and blue with details painted with yellow, please see my dragon guard unit in my gallery topic.

As alternativ, I'm thinking about starting a small TK army, that's why a small addition to the undead force could be appreciated.

I'm in Germany right now but I don't mind shipping all over the world.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#28 Post by Aicanor »

So far we have 13(?) participants. The deadline is getting close, is theresomeone else feeling generous enough to join so we can avoid Skaven involvement? :D

Andrew_uk
Shannar, Sealord
theviking
Aicanor
Malossar
Galharen
Domine Nox
azur
Teledor???
Giladis
Rowena
Elessehta of Yvresse
Elithmar
Cealyne

#29 Post by Cealyne »

I am in again this year! Sorry for the delay! Have actually been looking forward to this!
Armies I collect: Elves- high or wood. Both are are a nature theme with looks of greens, yellows, Browns and some blue thrown in to mix it up.
I also play kings of war- but I have to be honest I don't much enjoy the eleven models. I enjoy the war machines and forest shamblers.
I also play dwarves of both game systems. No color scheme yet, kinda mixed. But I do base them in a snowy style. Looking forward to this!
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#30 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'll join in this year as well. I really enjoyed participating in the first edition. The eagle bsb I got sees a lot of action. Time to give it another run this year. :)

I collect high elves. Paint scheme is red and white, with a unit specific color. Link to my plog is in my signature. I'd love another character (any kind really). But any lovely elf model that fits in the army is great.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.