Secret Santa 2015

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Secret Santa 2015

#271 Post by Aicanor »

I sure didn't plan it either. And I had time in the evenings, I just felt too tired to do something creative. Anyway, I am almost done.
As I said, most people do not plan to run away with a gift without doing any work. Definitely not in last two years. They are ashamed they failed and that is why they fall off the radar. I still have every confidence that all of the projects will be finished this time. Late is better than never. :twisted:
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#272 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Aicanor wrote: Exile is the price of failure.
I find this statement deeply intriguing but maybe I am taking it a bit too personal :)

@ Elithmar

Whatever happened and no matter that you might feel your enthusiasm evaporating in the meantime, it is still worthy doing. Yes, it is late but it is never too late. Just don't give up!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#273 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:
I find this statement deeply intriguing but maybe I am taking it a bit too personal :)
I'm sure she means a self imposed exile. And it does tend to be the case that people don't come back until they finish if they are late.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#274 Post by Aicanor »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:
I'm sure she means a self imposed exile.
Exactly. It just seemed to fit nicely with our High Elf theme. I did not ban them. :lol:
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#275 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I didn't mean that you would ban them (literally or not). I hope you have a way to reach out to them and convince them they are still welcome. This forum needs more people participating, not less.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#276 Post by Prince of Spires »

I sure Aicanor is actively trying to keep in contact with both Elessehta and Elithmar. But we can't do much beyond sending PM's. It's then up to them to respond. And if they don't check in then we can't do much about it.

In the end, it's a tough issue. Life has a tendency to get in the way sometimes. Whether it's a young kid, schoolwork or some social thing, other stuff takes up time and can be a big distraction for something that is a creative hobby.

On the other hand, it is also a matter of priorities. Getting a single model painted to a decent quality isn't that much work. Give it 20 hours and you can get something very nice out of the door. And 20 hours simply is painting 1 hour on 2 nights each week for 2 months. That's not a very big commitment. Just something you need to do every now and then. It's getting your painting stuff out while your spouse / parent / random other person is watching his/her favorite tv show twice a week. So, more a case of applying butt to chair then anything else.

At those still working I'd say, keep at it. Your recipient will be happy to receive anything, even if it's late. And, as said, getting a few hours in each week gets the job done eventually :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#277 Post by Galharen »

well said =D> :)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#278 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I trust Aicanor and I am sure she is doing what she can. She is the best person to contact participants too, no matter what is the issue to discuss. But I disagree that there is nothing to be done apart from sending PM.

The advice about priorities and organizing painting time to finish the project is nice when you start it. Clearly, there is something that didn't work so nicely, despite good intentions. There are many possible reasons, they are different for each person. What sounds like an easy task for one forum member, is not the same (and maybe even quite opposite) for another.

It is hard to give advice when you don't know what is the thing people struggle with. So, instead, it is far better to keep encouraging them. And make sure, in this very topic at least, they are not going to be judged either by admins or other participants for their delay.

I say that as a former Secret Santa participant who was late with his project, sent entire box of Dragon Princes in addition to the miniature I pledged (to make up for delay) and never heard from the recipient. When all I hoped to learn is that he enjoyed the gift, despite it arriving late.

Don't give up, guys. Keep painting and send it whenever it is finished. - that should be the main message now.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

azur

#279 Post by azur »

but, but, but Elithmar.. You should open the gift =) and post a picture!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#280 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I'm a serial offender now, not sure I've ever been early for this, I'm not going to post excuses, because they are all lame. Same as last year, I'll get it done, and send an apologetic gift with it.
I have a dope fountain piece showing how Ulthuan sank; Isha in tears from seeing her children killing each other in numbers not seen in an age, floods the continent.
My access to the forum has become tricky, my main browser now refuses to let me log in, but I have a second browser on here now, so I can get back to painting my poor painting in my plog, and posting annoying comments like; Well played Sir.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#281 Post by SpellArcher »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:I can get back to painting my poor painting in my plog, and posting annoying comments like; Well played Sir.
Several of us are less than stellar painters Ele and I've never been annoyed by your comments.

:)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#282 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Good to have you back, Ele! This forum is needs you so don't worry about the past, mate. Keep posting! :)

P.S. I am also glad that delays are not caused by serious problems. I am really happy that would be excuses are "lame", so don't worry guys, just keep painting and posting on the forum.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#283 Post by Galharen »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Good to have you back, Ele! This forum is needs you so don't worry about the past, mate. Keep posting! :)

P.S. I am also glad that delays are not caused by serious problems. I am really happy that would be excuses are "lame", so don't worry guys, just keep painting and posting on the forum.
Swordie, how about you, are you painting something new? :D
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#284 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I have painted a test model for a Drakon Rider for KoW and I am very pleased with the effect. I hoped to finish the rider but it is in modelling stage (sculpting some scales mainly). I will see if I can get a picture today before the long journey to Oz. If I do I will post it in the plog so that Secret Santa topic is not derailed. :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#285 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I've painted quite a lot recently, but nothing Fantasy, I'm curious about new Aelf things that GW will drop, and I wonder how I can use them in 9th Age.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#286 Post by Galharen »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:I've painted quite a lot recently, but nothing Fantasy, I'm curious about new Aelf things that GW will drop, and I wonder how I can use them in 9th Age.
Are they about to do this? didnt hear any rumour recently.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#287 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:I'm a serial offender now, not sure I've ever been early for this, I'm not going to post excuses, because they are all lame. Same as last year, I'll get it done, and send an apologetic gift with it.
I have a dope fountain piece showing how Ulthuan sank; Isha in tears from seeing her children killing each other in numbers not seen in an age, floods the continent.
My access to the forum has become tricky, my main browser now refuses to let me log in, but I have a second browser on here now, so I can get back to painting my poor painting in my plog, and posting annoying comments like; Well played Sir.
That'll be because of your cookies, if you delete them (or even just the ulthuan ones) it should work fine for you again. If you'd like a walk though on how I'd be happy to help with that just let me know which browser you use. It's probably something we should have done awhile ago anyway.

Glad you like the fountain, I very much enjoyed building it. I really wanted to put a dragon or sea serpent around the base but it probably would have been June before it got in the mail.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#288 Post by Aicanor »

Prince of Spires wrote:I sure Aicanor is actively trying to keep in contact with both Elessehta and Elithmar. But we can't do much beyond sending PM's.
This year, I'll require E-mail address as well, it will make things a bit easier. The risk is always there, but that's life. :D
Give it 20 hours and you can get something very nice out of the door.
I can't! :lol:

And I think Swordmaster has the gist of it. This is something we all do of our free will. It is not a contest. In ideal case, everyone wins.

And now if I can get Imrik to post here (if you can't log in, it is issue with cookies, you need to delete them - see the post above this one), we'll be good again.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#289 Post by Aicanor »

Galharen wrote:
Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:I've painted quite a lot recently, but nothing Fantasy, I'm curious about new Aelf things that GW will drop, and I wonder how I can use them in 9th Age.
Are they about to do this? didnt hear any rumour recently.
If they are, it will be late in the year, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#290 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Glad you like the fountain, I very much enjoyed building it. I really wanted to put a dragon or sea serpent around the base but it probably would have been June before it got in the mail.
A sea snake would work so well with my WHFB Sea Elf theme, no idea what my 9th Age theme is yet.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#291 Post by Ferny »

I totally get Aicanor's comment - I've done that to myself so many times with so many people and groups and it's horrible.

But self confessions aside, it's been a pretty good year on balance. It's almost too much to hope for that something like this will work perfectly between such a disparate group of people, but amazingly most people have made something ace and most people have received something ace. It's a pretty awesome monument to Ulthuan IMO.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Malossar
Something Cool

#292 Post by Malossar »

Is this our highest % completion to date?
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#293 Post by Prince of Spires »

Not sure about the exact completion % of the previous years. But this year has a very good showing I think.

Any updates from the remaining people? I think Aicanor was almost finished previously.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
azur

#294 Post by azur »

If Elithmar doesnt disagree i would like to post a pic of my work! =)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#295 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I can finish mine, I've been painting an Assault Squad for my Dark Angels, I should be painting this.
Malossar
Something Cool

#296 Post by Malossar »

I am still a sad Santa. :( :wink:
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#297 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I'm unimpressed with what I've done, but I'm calling it done. I just have to do a base for it.
Gandalf_82

#298 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:I'm unimpressed with what I've done, but I'm calling it done. I just have to do a base for it.

I bet its still a top draw model!

Count me in for next year on the SS anyway, even if I'm not overly active on the boards between now and then.

I thought Prince of Spires summed it up nicely, just a case of being disciplined when you sign up and making sure you do a little bit quite often to get it done!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#299 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Don't be alarmed, but I finished the model two weeks ago, I just have to post the damn thing. Friday is the day.
Malossar
Something Cool

#300 Post by Malossar »

:shock: :wink: