Secret Santa 2015

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andrew_uk

Re: Secret Santa 2015

#181 Post by Andrew_uk »

Shannar, Sorry for the confusion - I was replying to SA

Normally here the 26th would be a bank holiday. But he was explaining that this year it's the 28th that is a BH. My guess is that it's because the 26th is a Saturday (when most people don't work), but the Royal Mail does... So with that in mind it looks like we won't be getting any post here until the 29th!!
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#182 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Andrew_uk wrote:Shannar, Sorry for the confusion - I was replying to SA

Normally here the 26th would be a bank holiday. But he was explaining that this year it's the 28th that is a BH. My guess is that it's because the 26th is a Saturday (when most people don't work), but the Royal Mail does... So with that in mind it looks like we won't be getting any post here until the 29th!!
And there there is only a narrow window before any New Year related days (here it's just the first).
Rowena

#183 Post by Rowena »

The sun finally came out and I was able to snap a picture of the lovely gift I received. But maybe the sender has better pictures?

Aren't they lovely? Once again, thanks a million times to the generous Santa. The moonlocks are wonderful and they will see battle in a few days, Marchosias (my boyfriend who plays the game for me) is taking them to a tournament on Tuesday. :)
And I'm keeping that lovely letter. :)
My painting blog
Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#184 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:We beat you in two wars
1812 was a bit less clear-cut...

:)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#185 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:We beat you in two wars
1812 was a bit less clear-cut...

:)
Ah, you all left and there was no need to pledge everlasting loyalty so we'll call it a win. And we got a promise that impressment would stop. We'll just ignore that fact that it already had anyway.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#186 Post by Ferny »

Those worlacks are perfect - what a fantastic present!

Where are you guys based? Is it a 9th Age tourney he's going to? There seem to be so few in the UK at the minute, I'm watching out with interest...
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Cealyne

#187 Post by Cealyne »

Hello!
Sorry for the absence, had some pretty tragic happenings this holiday season. I received my gift however and I am over the moon over joyed! When I get a chance to take and post some pictures I gladly will however my pictures won't due them justice. I was unable to save my project from the terror of my wife's cat and had to start over. Though, I did manage time to finish it Christmas Eve and I am mailing it tomorrow! A bit late and I am sorry! Hope every1 had a merry holiday!
Oh, if my secret Santa has pictures of my gift by all means post them so every1 can be jealous!

Cheers!
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
Rowena

#188 Post by Rowena »

Ferny wrote:Those worlacks are perfect - what a fantastic present!

Where are you guys based? Is it a 9th Age tourney he's going to? There seem to be so few in the UK at the minute, I'm watching out with interest...
Exactly what I think! :)

Yes, it's a 9th Age tourney. A smallish one I think, but here in the Czech Republic we probably don't get that many big events, with the community not being that big in itself.
I have never played myself, being more an artist than a strategist, so I don't know that much about our tournament scene except the fact that there is one and about half of the events if not more are quite small and mostly for fun, to get people together for a few games. But that might be just my impression. Anyway, after a rather long period of scepticism the Prague community (where we are based) has decided to go for the 9th Age, so that seems to be the new default for tournaments held here. At least I think this event for example wasn't presented as anything special. On the other hand Brno, the second largest city in the Czech Republic, went KoW, I think, so we're probably lucky to still ave Warhammer to play. :)
My painting blog
Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
azur

#189 Post by azur »

Hey!

Im happy aswell!

Received a beutifully painted dragon with rider. Im not home at the moment and wont be for another 10 days then i will be able to take some photos!!

thanks santa!!
Malossar
Something Cool

#190 Post by Malossar »

Ugh...

I sent around the first of the month only to have the model show back up this afternoon. :evil: Damn customs!

I'll repost in the morning! :(
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Aicanor
Rainbows

#191 Post by Aicanor »

The moonlocks are looking great, as are the other generous gifts so far. Hard to beat that. :) And Rod, don't you have better pics?

Cealyne, sorry to hear that. Glad you managed to finish your project, someone is going to be very pleased very soon. :wink:

Work in progress:

Elessehta of Yvresse
Elithmar
Aicanor

Get to work, you three! :twisted:

Sent:

Galharen
Shannar, Sealord
Malossar (sent... and again...)
Cealyne
Domine Nox
azur
theviking
Rowena
Andrew_uk
Imrik Gwindorian
Prince of Spires

Received:

Prince of Spires
Galharen
Rowena
Elithmar
Cealyne
azur
theviking

#192 Post by theviking »

Cealyne wrote:Oh, if my secret Santa has pictures of my gift by all means post them so every1 can be jealous!
As always my pics came out overexposed so the colors are a bit too rich and the details don't come through quite right. I really ought to get a light box and learn how to do the whole camera thing. Anyways, I did a unit of Mantic's Forest Shamblers for the secret santa this year. Really good project that was truly fun to paint:

Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#193 Post by Domine Nox »

Those are some nice Treekin.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#194 Post by Prince of Spires »

Those treekin are indeed great. Santa seems to be feeling very generous this year. Any idea who made it? I'm going to guess Rowena...

@Aicanor, perhaps it's an idea to also list (in the received list) who send the model (for those that we know).

And since you asked, I did finally manage to get some better pictures. Daylight and a 'real' camera :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Andrew_uk

#195 Post by Andrew_uk »

I'm loving the models so far :)

Looking forwards to mine arriving!!
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#196 Post by SpellArcher »

theviking wrote:Anyways, I did a unit of Mantic's Forest Shamblers for the secret santa this year. Really good project that was truly fun to paint:
I play WE's, so I love these!

=D>

There's a dude on Asrai asking about the models:

http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=42 ... 90#p354990
anyone have any , and how do they look in real life , how is the size , the sculpt quality ect ?
Could you shed any light please viking?
theviking

#197 Post by theviking »

Thanks for the heads up, I copied my reply below if anyone here is wondering:
theviking wrote:The sculpts are lower quality than GW has spoiled us with, but they aren't too bad. Putting them together I felt the detail wasn't very good and they would be hard to paint but once I put brush to model the details came out nicely. The gaps at arm and head were noticeable but nothing a few minutes of greenstuff work didn't fix. Also half of the left hand model's cat tails broke off due to the soft metal being quite thin and flexing too much so I replaced them all with paper clip with greenstuff rolled on. Actually I would plan on pinning everything if you get these, metal models and mismatched connections make for easily broken joints. My biggest issue was with the feet, they weren't all flat so I made some greenstuff pancakes to set them in. It worked out well for the "wading through the ground" effect I wanted, but I wouldn't want to try gluing them straight onto a flat base. There was also some confusion in my mind as to which branches attached to which torsos, but as things got put together it quickly became obvious which went where by process of elimination.

I enjoyed the models overall and wouldn't hesitate to buy myself some for my own collection.
theviking

#198 Post by theviking »

Also I have received my gift, as soon as I get some pics taken I'll put them up.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#199 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Tracking says the one I sent arrived on the 30th so hopefully pictures will be shown soon.

Also, I got home today and opened a package and once again I'm very impressed. Thanks Rowena! I'll post some pictures, but first I want to glue an arm back on that came off during shipping so it may take me a couple days to do that. If you want to post some in the mean time that's ok too.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#200 Post by SpellArcher »

theviking wrote:I copied my reply below if anyone here is wondering:
Thanks very much.

I just assumed they were plastic! Sounds like a reasonable level of skill is necessary to make the most out of them.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#201 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The arm has been reglued. Hopefully I'll snap pictures today or tomorrow.
Andrew_uk

#202 Post by Andrew_uk »

Please could we have a refreshed list of who has sent/received?

I've still got nothing and just want to check that it's still on radar for those that haven't sent

Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#203 Post by Domine Nox »

I keep anxiously checking the mail, but no arrival yet here.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#204 Post by Aicanor »

Andrew_uk wrote:Please could we have a refreshed list of who has sent/received?
Here you are, it is all here, in this thread... :wink:

Work in progress:

Elessehta of Yvresse
Elithmar
Aicanor

Sent:

Galharen
Shannar, Sealord
Malossar (sent... and again...)
Cealyne
Domine Nox
azur
theviking
Rowena
Andrew_uk
Imrik Gwindorian
Prince of Spires

Received:

Prince of Spires (by Galharen)
Galharen (by Andrew_uk)
Rowena (make a guess ;-))
Elithmar (unopened)
Cealyne (by theviking)
azur (waiting for pics)
Shannar, Sealord (by Rowena)
theviking (waiting for pics)

I've still got nothing and just want to check that it's still on radar for those that haven't sent.
There are some Secret Santas that were sent and didn't resurface yet. But to answer for myself, I just primed the model. Painting ahead, yay! It may not sound like much, but I consider it major victory. :lol:

So Elessehta, Elithmar, how are you faring?

PS: In case you can't log in, delete cookies. :twisted:
Andrew_uk

#205 Post by Andrew_uk »

So to summarise; that's 8 delivered, 3 more on their way and 3 work in progress?

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#206 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, there is at least one more delivered. I'll probably post pics of it at the same time I do of the one I received.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... 58580263us
Andrew_uk

#207 Post by Andrew_uk »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:Well, there is at least one more delivered. I'll probably post pics of it at the same time I do of the one I received.

Ahhh so that'll be 9/2/3 then? :)

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#208 Post by Prince of Spires »

Andrew_uk wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:Well, there is at least one more delivered. I'll probably post pics of it at the same time I do of the one I received.

Ahhh so that'll be 9/2/3 then? :)
A pretty good showing so far. No models missing in the post yet. Three models left to be finished and their painters are not missing. We might get a complete list this year round.

I'll take a stab at the one Rowena received and say it's done by Domine Nox

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#209 Post by Domine Nox »

Pssh, easy guess when there's only a couple names to pick from. :lol: I don't normally fess up to these, I like to embrace the 'secret' part.

Roweena, I'm really glad you liked the Moonlocks. I had my misgivings after I did more investigation into your blog to make sure I got the colorscheme as close as possible, when I saw Mandrakes had been used for your Shades. So hearing that you are pleased with the final result is a relief. They were a lot of fun to make and paint, and really hard to let go of when they were done. :lol:

As for pictures, I think your picture might be better than the ones I took before packaging.

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#210 Post by Elithmar »

Aicanor wrote:But to answer for myself, I just primed the model. Painting ahead, yay! It may not sound like much, but I consider it major victory. :lol:
That makes me feel slightly better. Well, I should be fairly busy over the next week but I promise I'll get on with it then, maybe for the 25th January. One month late is better than never, I suppose. :? :oops:
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor