How to Paint White Lions

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

ajpieri

How to Paint White Lions

#1 Post by ajpieri »

Does anyone have any guides or anything on how to paint White Lions? I have about 25 of the old models and I don't want to experiment on them. I don't need a perfect step-by-step, but knowing the colors used on the various pieces would be great.
NiallCampbell

Re: How to Paint White Lions

#2 Post by NiallCampbell »

Do you mean the 'classic' Ulthuan white/blue look?
If so, let me know. I have a copy of the GW colours back home. It concentrates on LSG & Swordmasters but could easily be adapted to suit WL I imagine. It's how I'll be doing my WL's anyway :)
Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
A Skaven Army Diary: [url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/8904892/1/#new]All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight[/url]
A High Elf Army Diary: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49666]The Glittering Host[/url]
ajpieri

#3 Post by ajpieri »

That would be helpful. However, I also need to know how to do the lion pelts.
Rexhavoc

#4 Post by Rexhavoc »

There are many brands, colors, and techniques you can use and its really just a matter of preference. If you like more vivid colors or flat will effect the colors and brands you use and knowing where your strengths and weaknesses as a painter lie will effect the techniques you use (layering, washing, dry brushing, airbrushing...etc). Also consider the level of detail and effort you want for special troops and compare that to your timeline goals. Six shade layers look great but you could spend months painting a single unit.
There is no right or wrong answer but here is the color scheme I use for my elite HE infantry. I airbrush my metals but understand that many folks don't so I've included my paint schemes for both airbrushing and hand-painting the Metals. Also, I chose to list most colors in Citadel colors. If you prefer another brand like Reaper or Valejo...etc there are numerous color conversion charts online.

- Blue Cloth: Base-Kantor Blue, Layer-Caledor Sky, Highlight-50/50 Lothern Blue/Caledor Blue

- White Cloth (cold full white): Base-Celestrial Grey, Layer-50/50 Celestrial Grey/White, Highlight-White Scar

- Lion Pelt/Axe Handle (warm offwhite): Base-Karak Stone, Wash(watered down)-Seraphim Sepia, DryBrush-Karak Stone, then Drybrush-Ushabti Bone

- Leather: Base-Rhinox Hide, Layer-Skrag Brown, Highlight-Balor brown

- Red Gems: Full gem-Evil Sunz Scarlet, Bottom right corner (J pattern)-Troll Slayer Orange, Top Left corner (upside down J)-Wazdakka Red, Dot of white in top left corner-White scar (always use gloss varnish on gems)

- Flesh: Base-Cadian Flesh, Wash-Reiklang Fleshshade or Sepia, Highlight-Kislev Flesh

- Gold Metal: IMO the best, brush-on, metal paints are the Valejo Liquid Metal series. For vibrant HE armor I highly recommend this brand. Use 'Old Gold' as a base, Layer with 'Rich Gold', slight highlights with 'silver' - NOTE: these paints are alcohol based and it takes a little practice if you're used to acrylics. Tips- 1) don't use right out of the pot, pour out what you need and quickly close the pot, the alcohol evaporates much more quickly than water based 2) Thin with at least 90% alcohol (pick up at any drug store) - be generous with the thinning as you don't want any clumps when you apply 3) shake the pot...then shake again...then again...:) seriously the metal clings to the bottom.
don't let this scare you away from this brand - its much easier than I make it sound - practice 1st though.

- Silver Metal: I airbrush using Valejo Model Air Steel mixed 50/50 with Arctic Blue metal. this give a really cool Blue-metal base coat - next I airbrush highlight with Model Air Silver
If you don't airbrush I highly recommend Valejo Liquid Metal Silver....Then wash with (very watered down) Drakenhof Nighshade...Then Highlight with Liquid Metal Silver again.

If you don't want to get that fancy with your metals the citadel silver/Gold/Bronze paints are acceptable quality IMHO

Well this is what I do. I hope it helps.
julius12

#5 Post by julius12 »

Hi, your thread to paint white lion is also helpful to me. Thank you!