Nyeave's plog - Lothern Skycutter

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

fitzlock

Re: Nyeave's plog - Back from the dead...

#301 Post by fitzlock »

Nyeave wrote: That sounds great, I might try to see what I can find in the area. We moved to a new house though and unfortunatly I have nowhere to put the gaming table I made 6 years ago so I can't host the games myself, but on the other hand I really got the urge to try the game again. I'll have to see if I can find some locals who play 8th edition or maybe even 9th age
I don't mean to pry, but are you still in Denmark? I have a friend who lives in Jutland who has quite a decent sized playgroup for 8th edition and Warhammer Armies Project. My partner is Danish as well and before all this craziness in the world we visited her friends and family every year or so.
Instagram: @Fitzlock86
Accepting commissions for character models only.
Check out my Plog: The Glittering Host of Avelorn
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
Nyeave

#302 Post by Nyeave »

Yup - Still in Denmark. Living outside Copenhagen though. I know there are game stores (non-GW) around here but no idea if it's all AoS and 40k.
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
fitzlock

#303 Post by fitzlock »

Nyeave wrote:Yup - Still in Denmark. Living outside Copenhagen though. I know there are game stores (non-GW) around here but no idea if it's all AoS and 40k.
Well swing by the Squarehammer discord server at some point and I'll put you in touch.

https://discord.gg/9P4JZUBq

I've spoken to him and he'd be happy to host some games or meet somewhere to play. Really nice guy.
Instagram: @Fitzlock86
Accepting commissions for character models only.
Check out my Plog: The Glittering Host of Avelorn
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
Nyeave

#304 Post by Nyeave »

Mage WIP. I guess the hard part is over (robe and flame), but damn I forgot how frustrating white can be to paint. To get it smooth I have to thin it down so much it just flows everywhere! Ahh well I will just have to practise some more and hope the blue cloak and the rest distracts a bit from the robe :) (although it does look much better and a lot less chalky in reality. I will have to take a better picture when it's done)
I plan to try NMM for the gold and silver parts. Better just jump straight into the hard stuff and challenge myself again

Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#305 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nyeave wrote: That sounds great, I might try to see what I can find in the area. We moved to a new house though and unfortunatly I have nowhere to put the gaming table I made 6 years ago so I can't host the games myself, but on the other hand I really got the urge to try the game again. I'll have to see if I can find some locals who play 8th edition or maybe even 9th age
I know the feeling. I'm a bit in a similar situation. Recently I did see a few foldable gaming tables which looked like a good solution. These were designed specifically with WH in mind (or rather, the other GW games), so they were 6' X 4' and sturdy enough to play on, while they folded thinly enough to store underneath a bed. So that might be something you could look into if you find a regular opponent :)
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
MasterOfNone

#306 Post by MasterOfNone »

Prince of Spires wrote: I know the feeling. I'm a bit in a similar situation. Recently I did see a few foldable gaming tables which looked like a good solution. These were designed specifically with WH in mind (or rather, the other GW games), so they were 6' X 4' and sturdy enough to play on, while they folded thinly enough to store underneath a bed. So that might be something you could look into if you find a regular opponent :)
I have bought two chipboard panels from my local timber merchants and have put hinges on them. I can open them up and lay them on some foldable patio tables - either in the lounge or in the garden. When not in use everything folds up and goes into the garage. Overall a cheap and practical solution.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Nyeave

Re: Nyeave's plog - HE mage WIP

#307 Post by Nyeave »

Thanks for all the suggestions on gaming tables. I have also seen some roll out mats that looked really nice but I might be a bit too old for Floorhammer now :)

Mage update.

I did the tip of the staff yesterday - Ii turned out exactly like I wanted. Funny how sometimes, what you want, isn’t what you imagined…

There is just something about that just doesn’t look right I think. My idea is that the crystal is normally colourless, but then takes on the colour of the magic being cast – in this case a fire spell.

I think I will leave it be at the moment and see what it looks like when the model is complete. His left hand will hold a book with a big fiery rune as well. Maybe that will tie it all together. Maybe my imagination just outpaced my skill at the moment. In that case I can always redo it at a later time
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#308 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nyeave wrote: There is just something about that just doesn’t look right I think.
I see what you mean and I agree. I'm not sure what it is and maybe finishing the model will either tell you or show you that it actually works anyway. The paint-job itself looks very clean, but it's something about the combination that doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the crystal in the staff combined with the bronze of the staff. They're both warm colors which kind of blend together.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Nyeave

#309 Post by Nyeave »

The bronze is just brown and will become nmm gold - maybe that's even worse... might have to rethink that into silver.

The cloak should contrast nicely though once it has been layered up
Nyeave

#310 Post by Nyeave »

I finally managed to finish the Mage. After painting the bracers I was so close to give up on the idea of doing the metals non-metallic, but luckily I decided to press on - how else am I going to relearn.
In the end I must admit I am very happy with how he turned out.
The only thing I am not really satisfied with is the white robes, but I knew that was going to be hard to do and on top of that, some of my paints (the white included) is a bit old. Anyway only way to improve is to paint some more :)

MasterOfNone

Re: Nyeave's plog - HE mage finished

#311 Post by MasterOfNone »

I think that the white robe is excellent, what is there not to be pleased about?
It is a very skillful job and I wish I could paint to the same standard.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Nyeave

#312 Post by Nyeave »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:44 pm I think that the white robe is excellent, what is there not to be pleased about?
It is a very skillful job and I wish I could paint to the same standard.
Thanks alot.
You cant see it in the picture, but up cloase it's somewhat grainy and you can see the brush strokes. It's not bad as such, but it's just something I wish had been smoother.
Sturen

#313 Post by Sturen »

Looks great: impressively smooth and clean painting, even the white in my opinion! Your blends aren’t too flashy, just really well executed and used exactly where needed. That head swap makes him look very menacing.

Have to say that grass looks pretty healthy for being next to a big plume of magic fire :wink:
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#314 Post by Prince of Spires »

He looks great. The book really helps balance the model compared to the earlier photo.

And I agree, that grass looks surprisingly healthy ;)

Check out my plog

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#315 Post by Elithmar »

Sturen wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:27 amHave to say that grass looks pretty healthy for being next to a big plume of magic fire :wink:
I think the key word is 'magic'. :lol:

Really great work - the robes, the crystal, the fire, and most of all the helmet, even more so when I read it was NMM! =D>
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Azaam

#316 Post by Azaam »

I have to admit that I didn't really like the helmet on the first pictures you posted. But now that it's fully painted everything fits together really well.
Very smooth work and amazing job ! Can't wait to see the next model !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#317 Post by SpellArcher »

Chalk up another 'like', especially for the helmet.

:)
Nyeave

#318 Post by Nyeave »

Thank you all for all the nice comments.
About the plants and the fire. As was said I guess the keyword is "magic". I had to try and tie the model in with the rest of the army instead of putting in scorched grass. My though was that maybe the flame he is on, isnt a real flame but more an illusion or maybe a manifestiation of the winds of magic. Why would you use valuable magic power to set the ground underneath yourself on fire and then use further power to make sure it did you no harm?

I am unsure what will be up next but I might just do a few skellies for the ever so slowly groving skelton horde and then maybe start looking at my skycutter. I have big plans for the base for that one but more on that later.
Nyeave

#319 Post by Nyeave »

I promised myself I would paint a few skellies in between other projects as I just can't sit down and paint 20 at a time. So here is another 5 including a champion

Next up. I finally started on my Skycutter. It's going to be a quite a long project including water effects for the base. I have very clear picture of it in my head but lets see how it turns out. Biggest issue at the moment seems to be how to paint the bird. I just can't seem to settle on a color scheme. And NO it won't be a parrot :)
I will try and keep you updated along the way
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#320 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nyeave wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:41 pm I just can't seem to settle on a color scheme. And NO it won't be a parrot
Ahhh, that's a shame. I like parrots. There's other colorful birds as well, if you're dead-set against a parrot (like parakeets... :mrgreen: )

The skellies look great and suitably dead. Perhaps the only critisism I can give them is that their weapons and armour look too new and shiny. Though of course they could just have raided a recent battlefield.

Check out my plog

Azaam

#321 Post by Azaam »

Prince of Spires wrote:Perhaps the only critisism I can give them is that their weapons and armour look too new and shiny.
Who said skellies can't have a proper hygiene and take well care of their weapons ? I'd love to see a classy skeleton lord !
I love what you did with them, they look really good. And the color scheme is on point. Great job !

Can't wait to see you what you're gonna do with the Skycutter and its parrot ;)
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Nyeave

#322 Post by Nyeave »

I am not too fond of highly weathered armies. I like them clean 😉. It might have gotten lost in the plog somewhere but my idea for the army is a rainwashed, and thus somewhat "fresh" looking, army of skellies and ghosts only. That means armored skellies for skelleton warriors, unarmored for zombies, morghasts for vargheists, terrorgheists, spirit hosts, mortis engine and so forth.
Nyeave

Re: Nyeave's plog - A few Skeletons

#323 Post by Nyeave »

Hi all

A short update:
Interrupted by several cases of Covid the skycytter is finally close to completion. The boat and crew is done and I am working on the base. Working with resin takes quite some time though as it has to dry 24h between each application and as I try to build it quite high, we are talking days if not weeks...
Stay tuned though. It wont be long :)

For the bird though, it became different from what I expected as I got an airbrush for my 40th birthday. That had to be used for something like this! Below you can see my base colors. Actually quite pleased with my first attempt at airbrush blending.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Nyeave's plog - Skycutter WIP

#324 Post by SpellArcher »

Nyeave wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:38 pm Interrupted by several cases of Covid
Hope you're feeling a lot better now Nyeave.
Nyeave wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:38 pm Actually quite pleased with my first attempt at airbrush blending.
Very impressive. It looks almost like...wood?
Nyeave

Re: Nyeave's plog - Skycutter WIP

#325 Post by Nyeave »

SpellArcher wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:43 pm
Nyeave wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:38 pm Interrupted by several cases of Covid
Hope you're feeling a lot better now Nyeave.
Thank you. We are all on top again, but the weeks after were marked by an awfull lack of concentration. Not fun tbh.
SpellArcher wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:43 pm
Nyeave wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:38 pm Actually quite pleased with my first attempt at airbrush blending.
Very impressive. It looks almost like...wood?
Damn you are right. It almost looks like it was cut from wood.
It does look more normal after highlights and details though. Pictures should hoprfully be up tomorrow.
Nyeave

Re: Nyeave's plog - Skycutter Eagle

#326 Post by Nyeave »

There we go. One finished beast of burden:

And a small teaser for the rest. It will be done once I am done building up layers of resin:

Now I just need to figure out how to take some less dark pictures
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Nyeave's plog - Skycutter Eagle

#327 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looks awesome! The work with the airbrush looks great for a first attempt. How did you like it?

Do you have any plans of running him in an army?
Nyeave wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:52 pm Now I just need to figure out how to take some less dark pictures
Add more light? :mrgreen:

Check out my plog

Nyeave

Re: Nyeave's plog - Lothern Skycutter

#328 Post by Nyeave »

Air brush was fun - though alot more difficult than expected :D
Nyeave

#329 Post by Nyeave »

And there we go. The skycutter is done. What an absolutely gorgeous model. It was really fun to paint, although definately not a beginner kit when it comes to the assembly.

I had alot of fun planing and making the base, but I definately need to practise working with water effects. I struggled, especially when it came to making the spray white. Ended up having to drybrush it white and cover it with Gloss varnish.

Now I think I need a break and just paint a few more skellie boys. I need some simple "base, wash, highlight" action :D
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#330 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's gorgeous. Very well worth the time you put in. It's clean and striking.

I agree that the kit is a difficult one to put together, but all the more satisfying for that.

For water-effect, I found a "foam effect" kind of paint I think by Vallejo which helped a lot :)

Are you thinking of using the airbrush on the skellies? Might be fun and a nice way of practising on easier models :)

Check out my plog