The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - 08/06 Phoenix

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Traxo

The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - 08/06 Phoenix

#1 Post by Traxo »

Hi out there!

Been a long time lurker and big high elves fan for a long time.. I recently got my first 1000 points painted, and thought, i would show them to you guys.. I know i like to see other peoples cool armies..

My theme is really ruin based, and i want to capture the feeling of high elves as a "has been" race.. They have declined over the years, and the once proud citadel this division guard is no more than crumbling ruins this day.. I really dislike GW's white and blue theme, and went for a more darker and majestic approach.. But without further talk, my army:

Characters

Serothan Swiftfire - High Commander of Tor Alresse, and his mount Skywing
ImageImage
ImageImage
My latest piece of work.. Gamewise, Skywing count as a Great Eagle, since all my other eagles in the army is going to be converted griffons.. I worked a lot on this model to make it one of my centerpieces, and is really happy with it..

Alathir Lifesong
ImageImage
My high/life mage.. Rather standard model, but im happy with the paintjob..

Core troops

Spears of the Citadel
ImageImage
My 15 spearmen.. At the moment im working on bulking this unit up to 30 man strong..

Arrows of the Citadel
ImageImage
10 Archers.. Not much to say about them.. Pretty standard :)

Special troops

Emerald Blades
ImageImage
5 Swordmasters.. Its uncertain if these guys will make it in the 2000+ points version of the army.. WL are just so much better!

Emerald Hunters
ImageImage
10 White Lions.. Im trying to create a unique unit and with the use of unitfillers, i try to create a ragtag feeling about them, so they dont look so organised.. Oh, and i really hate the new plastics, so the old ones it is for me :)

Rare troops

Menhir, Great Eagle
ImageImage
My converted griffon, which now acts as a GE.. The fluff reason for this is that eagles are rare on the island which the Tor Alresse lies, but Griffons are not so rare.. But not so large or strong as the Ulthuan counterparts either.. BTW, the inspiration for the conversion came from these forums.. Thanks whoever it was!

Repeater Bolt Thrower
ImageImage
I was going for a rather big scenic base for my RBT, and i really like the way it ended up.. it ties the machine together with the rest of my army nicely..

Thats all i have painted so far.. Here are some random pictures of other projects on my workdesk:

Another unit of archers..

Phoenix Guard test scheme..

WIP picture of the next RBT..

Unitfillers and more spearmen!

And this spicy project.. Wonder what thats gonna end up as ;)

Thats all for now.. I will update this topic as i get new stuff painted..

Thanks for looking, and dont be shy to drop a comment! :)

Oh, and sorry for my rubbish english.. I come from Denmark, and Its rather hard writing all your nerdy thoughts in another language :)

-Jon
Last edited by Traxo on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse

#2 Post by Aicanor »

Great work. I particularly love your scenic bases and how they lock your theme together. Swordmaster statue, yes! Are you going to make some scenery? I also dislike the blue on HE architecture so I would love to see your take on it.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#3 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Pretty amazing work, I am going to steal that griffon conversion as soon as I get another griffon ^_^
From the axes and griffons I'm going to assume that Tor Alresse is on an island close to Chrace?
High Elves look great in every colour, and your green and white is no exception.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Traxo

#4 Post by Traxo »

Aicanor wrote:Great work. I particularly love your scenic bases and how they lock your theme together. Swordmaster statue, yes! Are you going to make some scenery? I also dislike the blue on HE architecture so I would love to see your take on it.
Thanks man! I havent thought about making scenery yet.. May do it sometime, but i first i need to paint the army :)
Tiralya wrote:Pretty amazing work, I am going to steal that griffon conversion as soon as I get another griffon ^_^
From the axes and griffons I'm going to assume that Tor Alresse is on an island close to Chrace?
High Elves look great in every colour, and your green and white is no exception.
Just say if you want some WIP pictures of it, or something.. I documentet pretty much the whole process..
About Tor Alresse, i pictured it as a lone Citadel/former trading post on a island off the Lustrian westcoast.. Maybe even the turtle islands.. So the reason for the smaller griffons is they are a different strand of species (can you say that?) And the reason for all the axes is my characters family.. His father was from Caledor, and mother hailed from Chrace.. So he marches into battle wearing dragon armour and swinging a greataxe :)

-Jon
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#5 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Lustrian Coast, with family from Caledor and Chrace, nice fluff, do you fight a lot of vampires and lizardmen? =P

WiP shots would be awesome!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Traxo

#6 Post by Traxo »

Tiralya wrote:Lustrian Coast, with family from Caledor and Chrace, nice fluff, do you fight a lot of vampires and lizardmen? =P

WiP shots would be awesome!
I pretty much only fight Vampires and Lizardmen :) And the vampire player actually themed his army around Lustrian pirates :)

WIP pictures.. And just ask if there is anything you want to know..

ImageImage
ImageImage

The base is the giant rock from the dragonkit.. Didnt need it for my dragon, but thought it was cool, so had to use it.. It proved to be a rather good choice, since it was pretty damn hard fitting such a large model on the 50mm base.. But as you see, it can be done :)

But again, just ask if you want to know anything..

-Jon
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#7 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Looks pretty straight forward, thanks for sharing. Have you got an army list to go with your fluff?
Traxo

#8 Post by Traxo »

Not yet.. But thinking something in the lines of my Eagle prince, beast/life support archmage, bsb, 2 archer units, 30 spearelves, a big unit WL, 1 or 2 units of Dragon Princes and the random eagles and RBT's..
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#9 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Cal rolls with an Eagle Prince army, check out his army blog for ideas ^_^
Meraklis

#10 Post by Meraklis »

great work on the gryphon model! and very nice job on the rest of your elves!

Can't wait to see more!
[color=#008000]My Caledor Themed Elves:[/color]
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32663
Mireadur

#11 Post by Mireadur »

Impresive work with your lord on griffon. Nothing else needs to be said =D> .
Traxo

#12 Post by Traxo »

I have finally finished my next "15" spearmen.. Im a bit reductant about saying 15, because in reality its primarly unitfillers, but well :)

First, all my spearelves together:

ImageImage
ImageImage
I think i have enough spearelves.. For now..

And then the new guys in town:

ImageImage
I still need to do the eyes, and the guy on the rock need a highlight of his hair..

Detailshots of the new guys:

And finally, the result of some hours of cutting, gluing and greenstuffing on the above showed bits:

ImageImage
Formerly known as the IoB mage..

He will be used as my lore of beast mage, and i have tried to model him to show it.. He is really aggressive and arrogant at the same time, and almost sinister looking.. The owl also really ties him in with the beastlore.. I imagine i will paint him with a lot of different shades of brown, but some parts will still be green and white to tie him in with the rest of my army..

Thats all for now!

-Jon
Jimmy
Centurion

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - New spearelves..

#13 Post by Jimmy »

Wow, sensational work, your units are looking amazing and the colour scheme is great.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Vonostermann

#14 Post by Vonostermann »

Wauw!

amazing conversions and very original colour scheme. I wonder how people get this good (apart from practice :) )
If you'd like, take a look at my painting blog for a view of my other armies: [url]https://sites.google.com/site/flameshammer/home/warhammer/painting-blogs[/url]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#15 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The beast mage rocks, I love the little owl.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#16 Post by Elithmar »

I love your stuff! All of it!

That griffon conversion is great, looks like he's about to pounce on something. Those spearelves are great too, I love the slightly disorganised look that all those unit fillers bring. They look to be in the midst of a battle. The beast mage is absolutely outstanding. I love that conversion to bits. From where is the owl? Looks like maybe the wood elves dryad one or do the Empire have one? But it's metal, right? Hmm...

Looking forward to the next update. ;)

:D
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Traxo

#17 Post by Traxo »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:I love your stuff! All of it!

That griffon conversion is great, looks like he's about to pounce on something. Those spearelves are great too, I love the slightly disorganised look that all those unit fillers bring. They look to be in the midst of a battle. The beast mage is absolutely outstanding. I love that conversion to bits. From where is the owl? Looks like maybe the wood elves dryad one or do the Empire have one? But it's metal, right? Hmm...

Looking forward to the next update. ;)

:D
Thanks mate! I was going for a aggressive, yet still majestic look for the griffon.. The owl is indeed from the dryad sprue, and the reason why its painted is because i "salvaged" it from my old and ugly remains of my wood elves army :)

If the weather permits it, i will undercoat the beast mage today and start painting tonight :)

-Jon
Mireadur

#18 Post by Mireadur »

the golden owl reminds me of fury of titans ;P (is that the original name of the film?)
abuse14

#19 Post by abuse14 »

Great work! looks awsome.
Classic themed army paint log :- http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36527
Dragonlord Hailthir

#20 Post by Dragonlord Hailthir »

Magnificent conversions!! The griffon is simply amazing and the whole army has a ton of character!! All around fantastic!! =D> =D>
Brother Dimetrius

#21 Post by Brother Dimetrius »

Your army is disturbingly alluring. And I don't even like green... :)
Twitter : @BDimetrius
Talifan

#22 Post by Talifan »

Well done! the ruins for the basses and colors work so well together. The green you used is amazing as well. Very well done indeed!
[color=#FF0080]Live and Fight with Honour, for We are the Most Noble[/color]
[color=#0000FF]2012 Games - (W/L/D) 49-1-0[/color]
[img]http://mawhammer.yolasite.com/resources/Gem1.JPG[/img]
Lord Whitestar's Leviathan Company Champion.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=38785]Blog[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000297179244]Facebook for Talifan[/url]
[quote="Aicanor"]Yes, Sapherian princes are an evil bunch.[/quote]
Sarcon

#23 Post by Sarcon »

It looks great! I really like the conversions. Gotto love green High Elves ;)
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Traxo

#24 Post by Traxo »

abuse14 wrote:Great work! looks awsome.
Dragonlord Hailthir wrote:Magnificent conversions!! The griffon is simply amazing and the whole army has a ton of character!! All around fantastic!! =D> =D>
Brother Dimetrius wrote:Your army is disturbingly alluring. And I don't even like green... :)
Talifan wrote:Well done! the ruins for the basses and colors work so well together. The green you used is amazing as well. Very well done indeed!
Thank you so much guys! im trying very hard to create an visual distinctive army, which is different to other elves.. So far i think i managed it :)
Sarcon wrote:It looks great! I really like the conversions. Gotto love green High Elves ;)
Wow, thanks mate.. This is like getting a shoulderclap from your idol, since many things in my army is inspired by you.. Especially my Eagles/griffons, but also my ruin-theme and the green, although mine is more vibrant :)

Its has been kinda slow on the elf-front lately, but im picking up pace again.. Tonight i finished assembling 12 more archers, so now i have 32 (10 painted), and i only need the finishing touches on 5 white lions, to put my unit up to 15.. I hope to update soon :)

-Jon
tdc

#25 Post by tdc »

That griffon looks amazing!!, the white and green theme really stands out too :-)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38061]Warhost of Caledor: The 3 houses of the Darkspine Descent[/url]
Traxo

#26 Post by Traxo »

tdc wrote:That griffon looks amazing!!, the white and green theme really stands out too :-)
Thanks mate! Im really digging the green/white theme too :)

Im not painting much these days, but that doesnt mean my elves is forgotten.. Today i assembled another 12 archers, including a bannerbearer, since i often field one unit of archers with the banner of eternal fire.. Its nothing special, but it brings my total archers up to 32, which means i can field an archer-horde if i want to :)

pictures of the new guys:

The new kids..

All my archers in horde-formation!

I also made a quick conversion for my mounted BSB, if i ever include him in my list.. I only did once in a cavalry-prince list, but he rocked, so i thought, why not make a nice model for him:

He started like this:

Lots of bits, from many different sets and armies..

His mount:

Nothing special.. Twisted the tail a bit to make room for rank and file behind him..

The finished model:

ImageImage
ImageImage
I really like the wild and savage atmosphere around the model.. The shield i really like, and its inspired by the old greeks..

Thats all for now.. Comments and critique is appreciated :)

-Jon
Sarcon

#27 Post by Sarcon »

Traxo wrote:
Sarcon wrote:It looks great! I really like the conversions. Gotto love green High Elves ;)
Wow, thanks mate.. This is like getting a shoulderclap from your idol, since many things in my army is inspired by you.. Especially my Eagles/griffons, but also my ruin-theme and the green, although mine is more vibrant :)
Ha, thanks, it means a lot to me to read this! The green, oh well, what can I say... I like it dirty :D . Your painting style is a lot more clean, and you're way better at taking pictures than I am!

The IoB Griffons are amazing models. I really like what you did for your prince. Very clever! Overall your army has so much atmosphere, with all the mini-fillers and tiles, it almost makes me regret I didn't spend more time on my army to convert more units! Keep up the good work!
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - Lots of WIP's

#28 Post by Elithmar »

Very nice BSB. You're right about the savage feel. Those archers are going to look great when painted too.

I don't know if you've said, but I'm too lazy to check so:

What are the tiles on the bases?

Thanks. :)
Traxo

#29 Post by Traxo »

Sarcon - Thank you so much for the nice comments about my army :) Its really encouraging :)
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Very nice BSB. You're right about the savage feel. Those archers are going to look great when painted too.

I don't know if you've said, but I'm too lazy to check so:

What are the tiles on the bases?

Thanks. :)
Its just the cardboard from the boxes the minis came in.. Cut out in different squares from 5mmX5mm to 5mmX15mm :)
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#30 Post by Elithmar »

Nice, I might try it on my Phoenix Guard (well, I will. ;) )