The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - 08/06 Phoenix

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Karalael Moonsinger
Chronicler

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - Lots of WIP's

#31 Post by Karalael Moonsinger »

I keep seeing that shield for Chracian models, but can never find it. Where do you get it from?
[quote="rdghuizing"]
Besides, the battle of Finuval Plain was more a minor skirmish anyway. A good enough summary would have been "Teclis and Malekith ran into each other. Teclis cast The Dwellers Below on Malekith with IF, and Malekith failed his Strength test." Not much more to it then that really.[/quote]
Calador

#32 Post by Calador »

I think it is the empire (5th edition?) spearman's shield if i am not wrong...
Traxo

#33 Post by Traxo »

First of all - sorry for the radio silence.. This blog took a long hiatus because of some real life issues and general lack of motivation.. But now im back! And thanks for all the encouring PM's i got, i will answer them all the following days..

Since my last update i have gotten quite a bit of work done.. Most of it is from before my break, which i just didnt got around to take pictures of, but some of it is new - and dang, it feels good to have a brush between my fingers again :)

First - the "old" stuff:

An older model, which got painted quickly for a campaign where only painted models where allowed :) Havent found a name for him yet, but i often play him as a Lore of Light mage, hence the lighter colours..

I also needed a BSB for the aforementioned campaign, and then Arthos Brightshield was born:

ImageImageImage
He started as an old half-finished character, and when i needed a BSB i finished him, and put a standard on him - the banner still need some freehand..

I also needed some specials for the campaign, so i got my old units buffed up in size before my break:

generic unitfiller - mostly used with swordmasters

Here it is together with the Emerald Blades - which have been buffed up in size i with some command models..

New Emerald Hunters - Among them, a musician with really good balance :roll:

Together with the rest of the guys - the unit is now 15 strong..

And then - unto the new stuff:

Lore of Life mage - painted by my wonderful girlfriend.. Some of you may remember this model as a beast-mage.. But i hardly ever use that lore anymore, so he has since been re-schooled :)

High Magic mage - again painted by my girlfriend :)

I also recently painted some more core, since i found out we dont get any new ones:

These are fresh from the table - they are core, and the paintjob is influenced by this.. dont get to close to them ;)

the two archer units mixed together - new and old :)

This is all i have for now - im super excited for the new book, and i think i will have lots of work to show you the next couple of months.. i have just started a 1000 pts campaign with some friend, and regular games helps me paint more.. :)

Stay tuned!

-J
Gizmos

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - News from the North!

#34 Post by Gizmos »

How have I not seen this thread before, these are amazing, the griffon conversion and the IOB mages my favorite.
A few questions, where did the owl come from? Do some of those spearmen have closed swordmaster helms or greenstuffed ones? Do you have any whole army shots? And how is the "other" bolt thrower going?
Dartanelo

#35 Post by Dartanelo »

Glad to see your back! The new stuff looks great as always, I really like that unit filler. I haven't seen that skulpt anywhere before did you skulpt that yourself? Also I wish I could get my girlfriend to paint some stuff for me! I mentioned it once that maybe it could be something fun we could do together and all I got was one of these :roll:
Traxo

#36 Post by Traxo »

Gizmos wrote:How have I not seen this thread before, these are amazing, the griffon conversion and the IOB mages my favorite.
A few questions, where did the owl come from? Do some of those spearmen have closed swordmaster helms or greenstuffed ones? Do you have any whole army shots? And how is the "other" bolt thrower going?
Thanks for the kind words mate! Im rather fond of my mage and griffon/eagle too..

The questions: The owl is from the wood elf dryad box.. The closed helmets on the spearelves is made from greenstuff - they are really easy.. just shave of the tip of the nose, and press on a small blob of greenstuff :) Regarding the armyshot i will try to get some this weekend.. just found out i have around 2000 points painted by now :D

Oh, and the other boltthrower is on standby until the new rules arrive - i will wait and see if it becomes any better :)
Dartanelo wrote:Glad to see your back! The new stuff looks great as always, I really like that unit filler. I haven't seen that skulpt anywhere before did you skulpt that yourself? Also I wish I could get my girlfriend to paint some stuff for me! I mentioned it once that maybe it could be something fun we could do together and all I got was one of these :roll:
Thanks mate! I think the sculpt is from the LOTR range, but im not sure.. Its made from plaster, so it can be something homemade i guess.. got it from a friend of mine..

Im lucky to have a girlfriend who enjoys the hobby as much as i do.. she used to have a lovely Lizardmen army (pink ofcourse), but she sold it, and now only does comissions..

To avoid an all text reply, here are some more pictures of the two mages painted by my girlfriend:

Cheers

- J
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#37 Post by Elithmar »

Good to see some more of your work. You're very lucky to have a skilled painter as a girlfriend! :D
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Gizmos

#38 Post by Gizmos »

Cheers for the quick replys, I may try the greenstuff helmets. I look forward to the army shots.
I am looking forward to the other bolt thrower, you seem to have gone down more of a rough and ready mid battle/ siege defense work thing.
Il Maestro

#39 Post by Il Maestro »

Great work with all of those models, the green/cream style works amazingly well, especially when done to a high standard!

Looking forward to more of your work!
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40568]The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project[/url][/b]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#40 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Welcome back, every time I see your models I feel like I need to start my Dark Angles ^_^
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#41 Post by Luna Guardian »

*snif*
So very pretty, that's the exact shade of green I've been trying to get. How'd you do it?

The modelling is way beyond my skills (painting too), but those are some really impressive models =D>
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Tzineris

#42 Post by Tzineris »

Very nice work overall painting modeling and basing! Cheers to the captain!
I particulary liked the hero on the grifon! :shock: Top work!
and of course the two mages! and i could also make a suggestion for the owl!
I ve found this on the net chech this it might interest you (the owl of the champion)
http://www.shieldwolfminiatures.com/
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Traxo

#43 Post by Traxo »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Welcome back, every time I see your models I feel like I need to start my Dark Angles ^_^
Thanks! And yeah - they kinda remind me of Dark Angels too.. DA where my first (and only) 40K army too.. What can i say, i like green and cream colours :)

Luna Guardian wrote:*snif*
So very pretty, that's the exact shade of green I've been trying to get. How'd you do it?

The modelling is way beyond my skills (painting too), but those are some really impressive models =D>
Thanks alot, glad you liked my work.. The green is really easy to do.. Here is the recipe, albeit with the old citadel colours:

(all done from black undercoat)

1. Basecoat the green parts with Dark Angels Green
2. Make some rough edge highlights with Snot Green
3. Make the last fine edge highlights with Scorpion Green (it can look very rough and unfinished at this point, but the next steps saves it)
4. Lastly, wash the green area very liberally with a Thraka Green Wash
5. Done :) (If the wash has dampened the last highlight to much, re-highlight with Scorpion Green
Tzineris wrote:Very nice work overall painting modeling and basing! Cheers to the captain!
I particulary liked the hero on the grifon! :shock: Top work!
and of course the two mages! and i could also make a suggestion for the owl!
I ve found this on the net chech this it might interest you (the owl of the champion)
http://www.shieldwolfminiatures.com/
Thanks for the kind words mate.. I will look into your link :)

Im planning to setup up my army for a armyshot later today - but first my mother in law is coming for coffee.. So stay tuned for armyshot update tonight :)

- J
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#44 Post by Luna Guardian »

Traxo wrote:Thanks alot, glad you liked my work.. The green is really easy to do.. Here is the recipe, albeit with the old citadel colours:

(all done from black undercoat)

1. Basecoat the green parts with Dark Angels Green
2. Make some rough edge highlights with Snot Green
3. Make the last fine edge highlights with Scorpion Green (it can look very rough and unfinished at this point, but the next steps saves it)
4. Lastly, wash the green area very liberally with a Thraka Green Wash
5. Done :) (If the wash has dampened the last highlight to much, re-highlight with Scorpion Green
Awesome, thanks a lot :) .

And I'd love to see the whole army assembled in one picture, should look epic :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Traxo

#45 Post by Traxo »

As promised, and as Luna Guardian wanted, here is the armyshots:

I present to you The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse

The emerald host together..

In the middle is Holthor Swiftlight, in safety behind the spears of the citadel..

In the foreground is Dendoril Wildheart, and in the background is Elehir Runesong, his older sister..

Arthos Brightshield holds the banner of Tor Alresses high.. Behind him is Alathir Lifesong

Serethain Swiftfire leads the troops mounted upon Skywing..

And for the lulz:

Our darling cat, 2 minutes before she saw a flash of light upon the wall, and threshed half of the army.. Upon inspection, nothing seems damaged.. Lucky bastard :p

Thanks for watching, and please, if you have any comments or questions, feel free to post them :)

- J
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - 13/4 Armyshots

#46 Post by Luna Guardian »

Looks impressive, I'm looking forwards to seeing the Emerald Host grow :)

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#47 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Traxo wrote:Image
Ye gads! Is that a dragon!

I really should get a camera and do an updated army shot....
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#48 Post by Elithmar »

It's a white lion! Except...not white. :?

I'd forgotten how much I like your griffon prince. :)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#49 Post by Luna Guardian »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Ye gads! Is that a dragon!
Bringeth me my axe, there's a fearsome feline that is threatening our people. This is a quest worthy of a Chracian!

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#50 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Elithmar wrote:It's a white lion! Except...not white. :?

I converted one similarly, but broke it, and fixed it again!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#51 Post by Prince of Spires »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:
Elithmar wrote:It's a white lion! Except...not white. :?

I converted one similarly, but broke it, and fixed it again!
Wait, you converted your own cat and then broke it??? :shock:

Awsome paint job. The green armour looks realy well. The highlights are great! And the unit fillers are very characterfull. Thank you for sharing.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#52 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

No, I converted a Griffon Prince. I'm not allowed to have a cat =(
Il Maestro

#53 Post by Il Maestro »

The army looks really good on the table, I especially love the BSB conversion - a relatively minor conversion gives the whole model new life!
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40568]The House of Black Flames: A Druchii Project[/url][/b]
b4z

#54 Post by b4z »

Great Army. Love the little dioramas and filler bases as well as the paving slabs etc. It all adds up to give a rich flavour to the army.
My personal favourite is the beautiful White Griffon, absolutely love the alternating white/grey scheme on the wings and feathers etc.
Traxo

#55 Post by Traxo »

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

I havent painted a lot lately.. I have, however, spend a great deal of time running around excited about the new book! Im rather positive about the whole thing, but it kinda stops my productivity, since i want to be sure i actually field what i paint :)

But one thing i miss, and is rather versatile, and will see some use time from time, is a noble/prince on foot, without a banner.. Since i often field my fighty chars on foot with armour of caledor and great weapons, i couldnt use the generic hand weapon and shield noble ofcourse :) The one i had in my bitbox did however, have some potential..

I wanted him swinging the GW infront of his body with both hands, so the stretched right arm had to go.. So far i have startet resculpting the new arm, and i can soon begin dryfitting the axe and lower arm-parts :)

Heres the progress so far:

ImageImageImage

(Yes, i nicked the nose in the process of removing the arm - i fear for the resculpting)

- J
Myth

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - 25/4 Noble with GW

#56 Post by Myth »

So far it looks great! How are you doing scales on the arm/shoulder part?
I was thinking to modify my 6th edition Phoenix Guard and add scale armor over legs....don't like those mini skirts type of outfit on them.
Traxo

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - 25/4 Noble with GW

#57 Post by Traxo »

Myth wrote:So far it looks great! How are you doing scales on the arm/shoulder part?
I was thinking to modify my 6th edition Phoenix Guard and add scale armor over legs....don't like those mini skirts type of outfit on them.
Scalemail is rather easy to make - there are a lot of good guides out on the internet.. Just search for "sculpting scalemail" :)

The last couple of days, i have pondered over my coming army-composition.. I decided i needed more core to make a more diverse army (i mostly play 1000pts games) and since Silverhelms is expected to move to core, they where fitting the bill nicely.. So without further nonsense from me, here is my WiP Silverhelms:

ImageImageImage
Notice, only the riders is finished - and they still need their shields..

I kinda like these models, despite their age - and im planning on boosting the unit in size in the future..

Oh, and other things on my workdesk at the moment is a mounted BSB, a Seahelm and another Eagle/Griffon

-J
solith

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - 28/4 WiP Silverhelms

#58 Post by solith »

I like the highlighting on the armour, it's really striking :)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#59 Post by Luna Guardian »

The armor looks great, but the tops of the helmets look weird. I don't know how I would highlight them myself, but the current highlight just seems out of place

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#60 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Silver Helms get a lot of hate here, but I like mine, and yours are nice too ^_^