The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - 08/06 Phoenix

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - 28/4 WiP Silverhelms

#61 Post by Jimmy »

Silverhelms looks awesome, love the green.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Gondarion

#62 Post by Gondarion »

How did you get that lacquered effect? I thought I used to have some lacquered paints by GW, can't remember if I ever did, they're nowhere to be found :(
Traxo

#63 Post by Traxo »

Gondarion wrote:How did you get that lacquered effect? I thought I used to have some lacquered paints by GW, can't remember if I ever did, they're nowhere to be found :(
What do you mean by laquered effect? do you mean the green armour? If you do, its rather easy:

1. Dark Angels Green over black undercoat
2. broad edge highlight with Snot Green
3. Fine edge highlight with Scorpion Green
4. Give the armour a very liberal Thraka Green wash

Done :)

At the moment im working on the horses for the silverhelms, and GOD how i hate panting horses...... So in my non-painting breaks, im in the process of modelling my female loremaster :)

Pictures later this weekend if im lucky :)

-J
Gondarion

#64 Post by Gondarion »

Traxo wrote:
Gondarion wrote:How did you get that lacquered effect? I thought I used to have some lacquered paints by GW, can't remember if I ever did, they're nowhere to be found :(
What do you mean by laquered effect? do you mean the green armour? If you do, its rather easy:

1. Dark Angels Green over black undercoat
2. broad edge highlight with Snot Green
3. Fine edge highlight with Scorpion Green
4. Give the armour a very liberal Thraka Green wash
The names of GW have changed, I do have green ink at least I think, and access to various shades of green. I suppose that effectc could be achieved as well in other colours.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#65 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

White undercoat and the new Caliban green can give the same colour almost as Dark Angles green.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Sarcon

#66 Post by Sarcon »

Lovely stuff! I like what you did with the eagle/griffin. It's about time I start updating my green elves as well!

Rick
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Traxo

#67 Post by Traxo »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:White undercoat and the new Caliban green can give the same colour almost as Dark Angles green.
When the new paints came, i actually started to use Caliban green over black.. Its a really small difference, so its fine by me.. Oh, and Scorpion Green is the equivilant of Moot green (cant remember the middle tone..)
Sarcon wrote:Lovely stuff! I like what you did with the eagle/griffin. It's about time I start updating my green elves as well!

Rick
Thanks alot Rick! And yeah, get going! Would love to see your take on the new units :)

Lately i have been packing and cleaning until i dropped.. My GF and i are moving to a bigger apartment because our little family soon is going to be a little bigger, and because of that, there havent been much time to tinker with my elves.. And to make it all even better, the new book and Phoenix is in short supply from my LGS, despite me preordering them.. So what have i been spending my precious packing breaks on? i will show you:

ImageImageImageImage

This is my take on the Loremaster, or in this case: the Loremistress.. I really dig the concept, and despite the original model being cool as hell, im a little cheap and like to make my things unique.. And so this little gem was born.. She is made from the body of the IoB mage, the arms and head are from the dragon kit, the sword from the IoB SM champ, breasts and braid is GS, and lastly the horns are from an old WE noble.. I had those buggers lying in my bitzbox for years :D I really like the imposing and extragavant look i achieved with her..

Now i just have to finish the moving to the new place, so i can start painting her :)

Oh, and finish my Silver Helm horses..

-J
Bestial_Broccoli

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - 06/05 Loremistress

#68 Post by Bestial_Broccoli »

What happened to the rest of WE noble?! Blasphemy I say! :lol:

Looks really nice, can't wait to see her painted.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#69 Post by Luna Guardian »

Tremendous work! Very impressive modelling, I'm just going to use the old Eltharion the Blind model as my Loremaster, being the cheap bastard I am =D>
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#70 Post by Elithmar »

Very nice! I'm not sure about the pose though - she looks to be leaning forward a bit too far.

Bravo! :)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#71 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Luna Guardian wrote:Tremendous work! Very impressive modelling, I'm just going to use the old Eltharion the Blind model as my Loremaster, being the cheap bastard I am =D>
He fits to well not to use him for that. And I'mnot at all impressed with the plastic one.
Traxo

#72 Post by Traxo »

Despite the radio-silence, im not dead :)

Here i a little teaser for my next project, codename Angry Bird..

Stay tuned!

-J
RE.Lee

#73 Post by RE.Lee »

Great blog - I really like your neat style of painting! The bases are great, too, as are the bits of ruins and ancient sculptures - it really adds character to the army. Keep up the good work :)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
tinman

#74 Post by tinman »

Holy crap nice plog! Not sure how I missed it. Loving the green and white theme - as mentioned super clean painting. Great skill with the GS and fantastic conversions. Really like the Loremistress (except the bid horns) and your phoenix is going to look great too...
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Traxo

#75 Post by Traxo »

Thanks for the kind words guys!

- Tinman - i know the big horns isnt everyones cup of tea, but i kinda like it.. It shows high elves as an extragavant and imposant race :)

I have finished my Phoenix in only 8 hours, and here is the result - but first a little fluff-piece.. If people like it, i will do more of it :)

A gift from the Shrine of Asuryan

The last ship to arrive to Tor Alresse from Ulthuan had a somewhat unusual bunch of passengers and cargo aboard. As usual, Serethain's pleas to the Phoenix King for more reinforcements to man the dwindling battalions, fell for deaf ears, and the supply ship only contained the barest of necessities - or so he thought. Aboard the ship was an envoy from the Shrine of Asuryan, protected by a band of the fabled Phoenix Guards. They claimed they acted on Asuryan's behalf, and for the time being, they would serve the master of the Emerald Citadel. As a gift for the High Commander, they had brought along a precious gift. A single Phoenix egg given to the Shrine from the one of the Great Phoenix Matriarchs, to help in the ongoing war against the forces of destruction. It was close to hatching, and after a couple of weeks in the flames of Tor Alresse's Shrine dedicated to Asuryan it hatched. In a great burst of fire, a mighty Flamespyre Phoenix rose. With its birth, the hopes for survival has ben rekindled, and all hearts and courage of the elves protecting the Citadel has surely been set aflame again...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

So, this is my version of the Flamespyre Phoenix.. Its relativly standard, and the only conversion-job on it, is the reposing and the open beak (apperantly, only frost-birds have open beaks...?) Im really satisfied how it ended out - especially considering how fast i painted it (around 8 hours) I went with a standard fire-theme, and tied it together with the rest of my army through the base and the green eyes..

thanks for watching!

-J
Last edited by Traxo on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: The emerald guardians of Tor Alresse - 08/06 Phoenix

#76 Post by Elithmar »

I like the introduction and it's amazing what a simple re-pose can do.

Bravo! :D
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#77 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Who needs a flying stand when the bird itself can stand =P
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Dartanelo

#78 Post by Dartanelo »

I really like the way you did the Phoenix, it looks great! The few things you changed on the model really gives it a different feel, and the base looks awesome as well
IgnobleElf

#79 Post by IgnobleElf »

Best phoenix I've seen yet!
Great flames and the repose is perfect.
-Brian McMillen
Chicago, IL USA
Traxo

#80 Post by Traxo »

Thanks alot for the replies guys! It really means alot to me, especially since we HE-players really appreciates it more..

Im thinking about making a small unit of Phoenix Guards, but the Loremistress is tempting to start also :)

-J
solith

#81 Post by solith »

This bring up the question: why is the original Phoenix not already in this pose? It's clearly much better. :lol:
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644]My painting log[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=51340]My battle reports[/url]
Oranion

#82 Post by Oranion »

I just wanted to let you know that I love the way you modeled your army, and it has inspired me to create my own force. I envision mine fighting out of Anlec, however, so it will be a much darker army, but I love your green and white scheme. Keep up the great work!
Kyrus

#83 Post by Kyrus »

I just wanted to give a huge shout out to you and your army. I recently got back into Warhammer after a Decade and started a new 6th edition High Elf army. Yours was a real inspiration and I wanted to give this old thread a push so more of the newer board members can appreciate it.
I especially had trouble with the Griffon, since I'm not so fond of the pose and your conversion is one of the very few I found on the net.
I will just leave my conversion here for additional reference.
Again cheers to you and your army!

Mod-edit: I've updated the link to the image to the correct one. @Kyrus, if you want to see how to get them to work, click on "edit" for this post and you'll see the correct URL. You can get it by opening the image you want to show in a browser, then right-clicking on the image and selecting "copy image location" or something similar to that. That's the URL to use in the img tag.
thanks a lot
Last edited by Kyrus on Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#84 Post by SpellArcher »

My favourite Flamespyre. Ever.

=D>

Thanks for flagging this up Kyrus!