Althi painting log

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Althi

Althi painting log

#1 Post by Althi »

Hello Ulthuan.net. So its been nearly 10years since i last picked up a paint brush but after playing the mmo Warhammer Online for a few years now, an urge has built up to start the hobby again.

Due to never really painting to a level i felt i could be proud of i lost interested in the hobby, but now im a little older hopefully i have a little more patience to practice and take a little more care in my painting.

After watching hours of how to paint videos and tutorials on youtube i kinda understand the basics that i never mastered previously.

So here are my first miniatures (btw loving these new high elf plastics)

WIP Swordmasters a few bits to finish ie the banner top

Swordmaster Champion

Test colour scheme for lothern sea guard

WIP Phoenix guard

Phoenix guard banner

Test colour scheme for Great Eagle

Hopefully i'll get these units finished sometime this week or next. Any comments or tips for improvement would be greatly appriecated.
Marshal

Re: Althi painting log

#2 Post by Marshal »

Looking amazing. I usually hate the traditional blue that GW used but your models seems a lot more neat and crisp, you've actually pulled it off really well. Your incredible at blending the colors in. Kudos.
Xevv

#3 Post by Xevv »

So its been nearly 10years since i last picked up a paint brush but after playing the mmo Warhammer Online for a few years now, an urge has built up to start the hobby again.
Okay I havent painted in almost 10 years either. What the hell videos did you watch?
Jimmy
Centurion

#4 Post by Jimmy »

Wow - that's art.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Andrew_uk

#5 Post by Andrew_uk »

Your painting is amazing but I still dislike the modelling; those helms are ridiculous... actually you know if the PG/DPs had just improved helms then I would rate them a bit better
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
~Milliardo~

#6 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Excellent stuff - very crisp and clean and neat.

Did you leave the eyes white on purpose to look magical, or will you be dotting their eyes soon?
Althi

#7 Post by Althi »

@Jimmy- Thanks your army was a big inspiration to get me to start painting again. All those models wow

@Andrew_uk- Yeh i understand what you mean, however i will take the new heads over the old mini-skirts :D

@~Milliardo~- I have tried a few times to dot the eyes but i just can not seem to do it, the paint seems to dry on the tip of the brush or just doesnt leave the mark where and how i want it. Any tips? Maybe i could try a pen?
~Milliardo~

#8 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Sure, no problem. I use a fine script liner brush, like one of these.

If the eye is difficult to reach, I'll try to paint the pupils in the corners of the eye, rather in the center, so they're looking off to the side... I also paint the eye first, before I start painting the flesh up - it gives the model a strong sense of life and character. I start by painting the face bestial brown, then I paint the entire eye chaos black, then paint it white, leaving a bit of the black around the eye, like this picture...

After that, I just layer up the colors of the face around the eye. Doing it afterwards is a bit harder, but a tip to steadying your hand is to hold the brush in your dominant hand, the figure in the other, and then hold your palms together so they touch and create a stable bond - with your hands touching, there's no wobble or shaking, and then just breath regularly and slowly, like shooting a rifle.. hah! :3

Hope that was helpful!
Althi

#9 Post by Althi »

Thank you for the tips ~Milliardo~

Its as i feared then i may need more than my good old "big" and "small" brushes if im going to taken my painting seriously from now on. Time to pick up a set a decent brushes i think.
~Milliardo~

#10 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Althi wrote:Thank you for the tips ~Milliardo~

Its as i feared then i may need more than my good old "big" and "small" brushes if im going to taken my painting seriously from now on. Time to pick up a set a decent brushes i think.
I get my liner brushes from a $5 pack from Wal-mart - they come with about a dozen brushes of various shapes... haha... they wear out in a month with regular use, but at that price its not a problem. :3
Althi

#11 Post by Althi »

Epic thread necro. After 3 years of no progress with warhammer, a Games Workshop has finally opened in my town. So there are actually some people to play now... woop. And fantasty is actually more popular than 40K in store wtf?!

So I'm painting again; here's a selection of what I have finished thus far and a few test paint schemes. I was worried the traditional white and blue combination would be a bit boring. However with the orange mixed in there it seems to pop the colours nicely.

Converted loremaster

Annointed on foot

Swordmasters

Test colours for the White Lions

Test colours for Silver helms

Pheonix guard

Great Eagle

Archers

WIP Frostie

Overall: how the colours work together on the miniatures

Old stripped and repainted AM. Not happy with how this turned out, but I needed to paint an AM fast to use on the battlefield.

Hopefully more to come soon.
Wotfudboy

#12 Post by Wotfudboy »

Some fine fine painting there... Very jealous! :) very clean looking. And these are just your test models. What size army do you field? Interested to see sword masters at 2 x 7 and archers at 2 x 5. I've just been painting units of 10 as supplied.

I love the converted lore master in particular.

I don't recognise the archer models... Then again I don't know much of model options on plastic kits etc. or are they converted or wood elves or scouts or something? I like the cloaks.

Pleased to see the bases. They look similar to the kind I want to go for on my army. Do you paint them before, and pin the model?... Or paint last?

Sorry for all the questions. Keep the updates coming. Great work.
Dartanelo

#13 Post by Dartanelo »

Great work! I'm really glad you brought the thread back. The painting is really clean. How did you get such a nice contrast on the mail skirts? Is it just black with silver and care not to get it on the edges? Also I really like the white lion heads on the silver helms. I wouldn't have thought that would work but you made it look great. Lastly the loremaster conversion is awesome a really nice kitbash
Althi

#14 Post by Althi »

@Wotfudboy
Well we have just started an end times campaign at 1000 points so the unit sizes are a little odd at the moment. The archers are just the games workshop wood elf glade guard models painted blue :P. I really hate painting bases with the miniatures attached, I always get paint on boots and legs. So I batch paint lots of bases at once, then glue the miniature to the painted base, and then glue the static grass. I wouldn't advise this method as the bond between the miniature and base is very weak.

@Dartanelo
I paint the mail as follows:
1. Leadbelcher
2. Paint very watered down black into the recesses
3. Paint each chainmail/plate with Ironbreaker
4. Very light wash of Nuln oil
5. Highlight with Runefang steel
6. If I've made any mistakes i just paint waterdown black into the recesses around each piece of chainmail/scales
Althi

#15 Post by Althi »

Forgot to add my bolt thrower

A list of what I have in my collection

Loremaster
Mage (metal)
Mage (IOB)
Annointed
Tyrion
Prince on star dragon
BSB on foot (plastic)
Mounted noble/prince (plastic)

25 lothern sea guard (IOB)
16 Archers (Plastic Glade Guard)
16 Silver helms (with WL head conversions)
5 Ellyrian Reavers (IOB)

30 Swordmaster (IOB)
28 White Lions
20 Phoenix Guard

3 Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers
Frostheart Phoenix
2 Great Eagles (The Hobbit)
Rogue Trader

#16 Post by Rogue Trader »

A great looking army, excellent painting and presentation.

I look forward to seeing more!
Lordy

#17 Post by Lordy »

lovely looking army.
White Noise

#18 Post by White Noise »

There is something about the way you paint colours that gives a real feeling of depth, really vivd blues and reddy oranges as well. Fantastic stuff!
Tzineris

#19 Post by Tzineris »

Excellent brightness and smoothness of colors! =D> I also really like the white lion heads on silver helm models! And very good idea of painting flames at the bottom of the sword masters banner!! I ask of permission to use that idea!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
Althi

#20 Post by Althi »

White Noise, thank you for your comments.

Tzineris - permission granted! haha
Scarano

#21 Post by Scarano »

Superb.
My Blog: [url]www.wargamingmywaytoahappierlife.blogspot.co.uk[/url]

Records:
High Elves: W= 3 L= 0 D= 0 Bare with me I'm new to this
Ogre Kingdoms: W= 1 L= 0= 0
Eldfågeln

#22 Post by Eldfågeln »

Your colours are so crisp!
Love the contrast between the blue and the white. Very High Elvish, but perfectly executed.

Like the conversion of the Sea Helm into a Loremaster.
John Rainbow

#23 Post by John Rainbow »

Your painting is really clean and crisp. They look really good! The converted loremaster is awesome too.
gilterien

#24 Post by gilterien »

Your army looks super, it's a very cohesive scheme. The orange/red is a really effective contrast but isn't too strong. I like your loremaster- the pose in particular
Althi

#25 Post by Althi »

Couple of things I've finished recently

Althi

#26 Post by Althi »

WIP AoS miniature

Ambrosius

#27 Post by Ambrosius »

Really nice stuff! Your method for painting chainmail sounds really time-consuming, but it has definitely paid off!
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]
Althi

#28 Post by Althi »

Well its crazy to think I started this 8years ago. Sold all of my miniatures and paints when fantasy died. Then a year ago bought everything all over again, and painted it up. Quite the adventure so far. More to see @althiipainting on instagram. This Saturday I'm taking a 2500pt army to a 2 day whfb tournament in the uk. My first ever tournament and first game of whfb for 8 years. Can't wait. Hope you like the photos.

I think all that's left to paint is 6 dragon princes, 5 more ellyrian reavers, and 2x lion chariots. Then I'm calling it a day on the high elves (on to the next project - dark elves)

Vermis

#29 Post by Vermis »

Holy smokes, that's impressive! Not a brushstroke out of place. Very nice array of blue and gold. I see you trimmed off the extra bowstrings on the lumineth archers, which I wholly endorse. :lol:

All the best for the tourney.
TyrrenAzureblade

#30 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Niiice! Let us know how you do at the tourney. Best of luck!