Althi painting log

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Althi painting log

#31 Post by SpellArcher »

Althi wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:14 am Well its crazy to think I started this 8years ago.
Great to hear from you again Althi.

:)
Althi wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:14 am Hope you like the photos.
Superb army. Love how the attention to detail actually comes through at a macro scale, very unusual.
Althi

#32 Post by Althi »

I did ok. Won 2 games (Ogres and Empire), lost 3 games (Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs, O&Gs). Having not had any practice or even a game of WFB for over 7 years, i'll take it. My opponents were all lovely guys and helped me a long when I had any issues remembering the more obscure rules. I really struggled with deployment, movement, and generally having a plan of what I wanted to do. But the painting awards were kind to me

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#33 Post by Prince of Spires »

Agreed. That army is awesome! It looks cohesive and regal and disciplined. Exactly what you'd want with High Elves.

Good luck in the tournament. Let us know how it goes. I do find it interesting that the game refuses to die, even after GW abandoned it.

Also, feel free to share your Dark Elves here, once you get them going. We always love seeing more models.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#34 Post by SpellArcher »

Althi wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:21 pm But the painting awards were kind to me
Awards in the plural! Richly deserved.
Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:53 pm Also, feel free to share your Dark Elves here, once you get them going.
This!
Althi

#35 Post by Althi »

So a minor update. I've begun on the Dark Elves. I've mainly been trying to find the right main colour for the project, somewhere between purple and red. I went with Scale 75 paints, which have been fantastic quality. The main goal of this project is pick a simple but effective colour scheme that I can paint very quickly, with the minimal amount of colours. Though I do think I need a third colour to make the purple pop, which will more than likely be a jade green to banners, icons, details etc.

Purple Areas - Elandil Violet base, Bloodfest Crimson mid tones, Fuchsia edge highlights.
Gold Areas - Scale 75 Pure Copper, Army painter Flesh Tone wash, Army painter Purple Tone wash to the darkest recesses, edge highlight with Scale 75 Dwarven Gold

So far I've completed 10x Dark Riders, 20x Witch Elves, and 10x Executioners. I started work on the Cauldron of Blood over the weekend, which will more than likely take me weeks to complete, as I'm painting it completely in sub-assemblies.

TyrrenAzureblade

#36 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Veeery nice, I LOVE that primary color. Definitely feels regal, but also ominous and "dark".
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#37 Post by SpellArcher »

TyrrenAzureblade wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:11 pm I LOVE that primary color. Definitely feels regal, but also ominous and "dark".
Reminds me of the old Miniature Paints Ruby which worked great on my autumnal Wood Elves. Also wondering how close it is to GW's Khorne Red.
Althi wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:03 pmDark Riders
These are especially striking. More pics please!
Althi

#38 Post by Althi »

I painted up this Korhil for an 8th ed tournament last weekend. I'm really pleased with how the axe, hair, and face turned out on this. I think it might be the best thing I've painted so far.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#39 Post by Prince of Spires »

I love him. His face is great indeed. And the axe and gems are wonderful.

Maybe the only (very, very small) point of critisism is that the hair and lion's mane blend a bit together. There isn't a lot of contrast between them.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#40 Post by SpellArcher »

That axe work is really subtle.

=D>

Where did you play the tournament Althi?
Althi

#41 Post by Althi »

SpellArcher wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:36 am That axe work is really subtle.

=D>

Where did you play the tournament Althi?
It was the London Legends GT in London, UK. A 2 day tournament for about 40ish people. I won 2, drew 1, and lost 2, so perfectly average. I missed out on the best painted army award, that rightfully went to a beautiful skaven army.

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:48 pm I love him. His face is great indeed. And the axe and gems are wonderful.

Maybe the only (very, very small) point of criticism is that the hair and lion's mane blend a bit together. There isn't a lot of contrast between them.
Yeah I agree, I got a bit lost while painting it too, trying to tell what was hair and what was lion pelt. I considered doing his hair a dark grey to contrast against the white pelt, but I wanted to take on the challenge of blonde hair again. I really struggle with blonde hair, it usually ends up looking either too looks yellow or white.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#42 Post by SpellArcher »

Althi wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:37 am It was the London Legends GT in London, UK. A 2 day tournament for about 40ish people. I won 2, drew 1, and lost 2, so perfectly average.
Solid. Any more events coming up?
Althi wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:37 am I missed out on the best painted army award, that rightfully went to a beautiful skaven army.
Your army is stunning so those Skaven must have been incredible.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#43 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:57 am
Althi wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:37 am I missed out on the best painted army award, that rightfully went to a beautiful skaven army.
Your army is stunning so those Skaven must have been incredible.
I agree with this sentiment. That must have been quite the sight.

I guess Skaven do have the advantage of having lots of wacky miniatures that offer lots of potential for wonderful painting. The bell and plague furnace are such rewarding models. As are many of their warmachines and the Abomb. You really can go wild on them as a painter.

Check out my plog

Althi

#44 Post by Althi »

A few photos of the winning skaven army (obviously not my painted models)

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#45 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks for the pics! It's a great army for sure and the conversions are splendid. I still prefer yours though Althi, to my eye your colours are better and better balanced.
Althi

#46 Post by Althi »

2500 points of dark elves are approaching completion. Batch painting 20 executioners was painful! I have a 2-day tournament 4th-5th November, and all I have left to finish is a Kharibdyss and a Supreme Sorceress. I'll post the entire army when its completed in the next week or so. For now here's some WIPs of a hydra and a cauldron of blood

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#47 Post by SpellArcher »

Althi wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:13 am I'll post the entire army when its completed in the next week or so.
Yes please!
Althi wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:13 am For now here's some WIPs of a hydra and a cauldron of blood
Tricky colour scheme to balance but it's looking very promising.
MasterOfNone

#48 Post by MasterOfNone »

Wow!
I had somehow overlooked this thread when you resurrected it. Maybe because it was in a period where I was less active.
Anyhow, your miniatures are stunning.
Beautiful colours, clean painting, no surprise you did so well at the painting awards.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#49 Post by Prince of Spires »

The Hydra is a lovely model (where is it from?). And the paint scheme absolutely makes it stand out. Both it and the cauldron will be an amazing centerpiece for any army.

Check out my plog

Giladis
The Merlord

#50 Post by Giladis »

Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:51 pm The Hydra is a lovely model (where is it from?).
That is the latest GW design from 2012.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#51 Post by Prince of Spires »

It is? Didn't know that. I think I've only seen the older model. Thanks Giladis.

Check out my plog

Althi

#52 Post by Althi »

A few photos. I've been trying to improve my photography.

Giladis
The Merlord

#53 Post by Giladis »

The crispness of your painting is amazing!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#54 Post by SpellArcher »

When you can take a mediocre model (the foot Sorceress IMHO) and make it look splendid, that's a great sign.
Althi

#55 Post by Althi »

Next project is Caradryan on Ashtari and 2x DE reaper bolt throwers

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#56 Post by SpellArcher »

Althi wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:39 amCaradryan
He's coming along very nicely but I can't shake the feeling he's been weirdly tortured!