Sturens Painting Log (updated Jan 2024 – Carnivorous Carnival)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sturen

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated July ‘21 – the 7 Year Update)

#61 Post by Sturen »

A brief battle report from my 2000 points against a fun balanced Dwarf list. In the end I changed out the list above, dropped 10 Phoenix Guard and some Swordmasters to squeeze in a basic Archmage with a bound spell and the +1 power dice Jewel of Dusk. Made the list really magic heavy and troop light, but against Dwarfs it didn't feel overwhelming.

He was fielding three fighting units: one of about 20 Slayers with a hero Slayer, one of 20 Hammerers with a fighting King, and one of 20 Warriors with a Runesmith. He had two small units of dwarves with guns, a Cannon, a Flamecannon, and a Gyrocopter. Not overly shooty, and some really great old school dwarves. And everything painted to put me to shame!

I deployed in cover, with my Dragon Princes on the right flank lined up against his Flame cannon and Gyrocopter, Dragon behind a hill in the center and my other infantry on the left. Shortly after I explained my +D6 combat resolution, he plonked down his unbreakable Slayers to meet the Dragon Princes.

I don't have as many photos to do a full battle report, but the summary is that my Dragon Princes charged and gradually hacked their way through all the Slayers - including the champion surviving and ultimately killing his character in a duel. I think he misplayed by using extra hand weapons to try three S4 attacks rather than two huge great weapon S6 swings. Even a unit of Handgunners making it into the flank couldn't save them, but unbreakable did successfully take my Dragon Princes (and the Dragon, the Mage promptly killed off the top) all game to kill. The Dragon ultimately killed about one dwarf in three combat rounds so maybe that was a mistake!

A small subplot involved the Gyrocopter swooping up my side of the board to burn the Archers and hopefully cause a panic test. Luckily between actually putting a wound on with the Archers, and my Bolt Thrower, I knocked it out the sky before it could roast more than a couple of Archers. His Flamecannon also killed a couple of archers before misfiring and destroying itself. His actual Cannon, despite getting a couple of clean shots at the Dragon, mostly got stuck in the mud, and between that and my casting a spell to disable the cannon, it only ended up killing a couple of Spearelves later in the game, so not as bad as it could have been!

Over on my left flank, the Swordmasters took a battering from gunfire and panicked, leaving the spears exposed against the Hammerers and Warriors. Luckily my Archmage toasted 14 Warriors in two magic phases with some lore of metal on that Gromril Plate, and then he and his Phoenix Guard entourage bravely flank charged the Hammerers to let the spears fight the remaining six Warriors and Runesmith without backup.

Weight of numbers in my Spears broke the Warriors, but my Archmage and Phoenix Guard paid the price: rubber halberds and the Dwarf King overkilling the poor champion. They were promptly run down. This left his block poorly placed, with the freshly rallied Swordmasters to their front and a grumpy Sun Dragon, finally clear of Slayers, to the rear. The Swordmasters bravely charged the front, and the Sun Dragon failed his stupidity test (dead rider), and decided not to help. The champion triggered his Talisman of Loec, straight into a well armoured Dwarven King. I rolled surprisingly well and put a wound on him, but unsurprisingly his Hammerers broke and ran down the unsupported Swordmasters.

Fortunately, the Spears now had a clear chance to ransack his artillery line, and charged into the enemy Cannon. Meanwhile, the Dragon Princes, having finally wiped out the Slayers, wheeled around to assist in bringing the pain to his second unit of Handgunners. Things were looking grim for the dwarves as his Hammerers and King too far away to assist, and with turn 6 wrapping up with both those backline units destroyed, it looked to be somewhere between a minor and solid victory for the elves. Almost his whole army except the General and Hammerers destroyed, while I'd lost my General and his unit, but almost nothing else.

Fun game! I was underwhelmed by Slayers, they died in droves, but I also think he didn't capitalise on tying up my Dragon Princes well enough. I actually felt too magic heavy - especially the first two turns I was struggling to use all my power dice. The Dragon Mage was certainly fun: very lucky to dodge so many cannonballs, and although the Sun Dragon didn't actually do much damage, the mobility and casting power felt good. Of course, both of us played a bit of rule of cool when it came to the Dragon, so he didn't get too much light arm fire to snipe him off the back - and ultimately he died. I suppose in combat he is just 2 T3 5++ wounds so it doesn't take much. On the other hand, he "shouldn't" have been in a protracted combat so that's my fault, unbreakable dwarves and all that.

Anyway, great to get a proper sized game, and next time I'll have something painted to show, promise!
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Sturen

#62 Post by Sturen »

Testing photo attachments… all credit to my opponents excellent camera skills, but how do you miss that cannon shot?!
Attachments
C5104C0B-4266-4F76-B9CC-EE7DA70A7E04.jpeg
C5104C0B-4266-4F76-B9CC-EE7DA70A7E04.jpeg (607.39 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
88F430E5-FD29-4959-B45F-6EE68620CA6E.jpeg
88F430E5-FD29-4959-B45F-6EE68620CA6E.jpeg (580.72 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
E8072F9D-8B5C-4258-B76B-557D8FBAE4DE.jpeg
E8072F9D-8B5C-4258-B76B-557D8FBAE4DE.jpeg (656.95 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
F0457929-CD01-4D80-AEA0-1B524ACB5BF5.jpeg
F0457929-CD01-4D80-AEA0-1B524ACB5BF5.jpeg (542.45 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
7B40349F-FB90-4996-9B12-4983CF5C2A8D.jpeg
7B40349F-FB90-4996-9B12-4983CF5C2A8D.jpeg (552.33 KiB) Viewed 6474 times

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#63 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sturen wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:31 pm how do you miss that cannon shot?!
Sometimes you only find out during the battle that you brought your blind dwarves instead of the regular dwarves... ;) :mrgreen:

That looks like a great battle. Reads like there were a few interesting swings in there.

The dragon mage is an interesting character indeed. I do think he became better in 8th edition. His magic is a bit stronger and you can actually give him armour. He's still not great, but he's fun. And the sun dragon is indeed not that powerful. You don't want him in combat with anything in armour and not for a long time. Again, I think 8th edition made him a bit better with thunderstomp. But he's still not great.

I think the slayers suffer from the issue that no-save slow models are just not that great. They look fun on paper, but they die before they have much of an impact on the game. It's very hard to get such models right rules wise and I don't think GW has done so more than a few times. He should have probably gone for the higher S attacks against the DP's and dragon. S6 vs S4 makes such a big difference against 2+ armour saves (and even a bit against T3 models...).
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
MasterOfNone

#64 Post by MasterOfNone »

I see the good old firethrower model repurposed as a flame cannon, cool thinking!
I have two of those, so sad that while there is plenty of similar options for the Skaven, GW have dropped it for the Dwarfs (I used them back in 3rd Edition, 30 years ago).
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Sturen

#65 Post by Sturen »

Anyway, great to get a proper sized game, and next time I'll have something painted to show, promise!
Oops…

I have done a good bit more work on my Phoenix Guard but they're in that chasm between "nearly done" and "done" which can be a long one, and I'm determined to wait until the first 10 are complete to show off. But I've also been very busy so haven't had much paint time!

However, I did get a dwarven rematch, this time 2500 points and with two pretty different lists. I haven't got photos or a full battle report, but I can share my list:
  • Prince on Eagle, Bow of the Seafarer, Helm of Fortune, Talisman of Protection, Lance and Armour.
  • Dragon Mage, Level 2, Silver Wand and Guardian Phoenix
  • Noble BSB with Armour of Caledor and Great Weapon
  • 10 Archers
  • 26 Spearmen, Command
  • 25 Phoenix Guard, Command and Banner of Sorcery
  • 9 Swordmasters, Command
  • Tiranoc Chariot
  • Lion Chariot
  • 7 Dragon Princes
  • 2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
My opponent had two large combat blocks: one of hammerers with a king on shieldbearers, one of ironbreakers with two runesmiths. Then a unit of quarrellers, two of thunderers, two cannons and an organ gun, a gyrocopter. Borderline gunline but no pushover in combat either, especially since those quarrellers had great weapons!

The game turned into a race into combat for me: my swordmasters were wiped out by thunderers, both chariots were popped by cannonballs, and the eagle was shot out from under the prince. But the dragon survived! It took on the quarrellers from the flank after dodging through terrain, broke them, then made it to support the battle with the king's unit. My dragon princes, spears, and (now on foot) prince teamed up on the ironbreakers and ran them down. Ultimately we were left with my dragon and 9 phoenix guard grinding down the King and his hammerers into a single remaining hammerer and king: very dwarfy! My spears with both other characters had finally taken the building that the thunderers had garrisoned all game. I won a marginal victory once it was all totalled up.

I found the prince on eagle fun (I played with the IoB griffin). The bow was super strong (bolt thrower that moves 20" then hits on 2s is good, who knew?) but dwarves didn't give me great targets, and I had to keep dodging gunfire. If I rebuilt this list I'd surely swap it for the reaver bow. On the other hand, the dragon really kicked ass this game, the magic was mediocre but the dragon performed excellently once it got into the gunline. Target saturation worked as intended and the cannons mostly took out infantry and chariots.

Azaam

#66 Post by Azaam »

Too bad you don't have any pictures I would have loved to see these two armies facing each other again !

It looks like you had a lot of fun with your game. It's stories like that that makes me want to play this game !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#67 Post by Prince of Spires »

That reads like a fun battle. That was a phyric victory if I ever saw one...

The cannons easily dealing with the chariots is a fact of life in 7th ed. It makes them a less optimal choice in a lot of army lists. It's a shame, because they often look amazing. I'm glad you liked the dragon mage. I've run him a few times as well and he's good fun. He ads a lot of flavor to a list without being overpowered.

I do agree with Azaam though. We need more pictures ;)

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Sturen

#68 Post by Sturen »

Another (short) battle report. Again, all 7th edition rules and a mix of 6th and 7th edition army books. I’m running 7th edition high elves because the 6th edition Phoenix Guard rules make me sad and I’ve got 25 of them!

I ran:
Archmage, level 4, Ring of Fury, Jewel of Dusk, Folariath’s Robe
BSB with Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix and a GW
10 Archers
24 Spears with command and Lion Standard
24 Phoenix Guard with command and Banner of Sorcery
A Lion Chariot
7 Dragon Princes
7 Swordmasters
2 RBT

I wanted combined arms with strong magic (8-10 PD and a bound spell). Is two bolt throwers and 10 PD a bit cheesy? Perhaps but the rest is fair.

My opponent had the 6th edition hordes of chaos rules: 20 Marauders, Marauder Horsemen, about 20 Warriors, 10 or so Chosen, and 5 Chosen Knights. For characters he had a lord on Demonic Beast, BSB and a scroll caddy. Various Khorne marks. Oh, and a Hellcannon!

This first photo is actually after both turn 1s but shows the rough deployment. Lots of terrain to my opponents favour, I’d basically shuffled my units for better LoS while he piled forward at maximum speed.
7DB41FCF-037B-4F83-AC13-508133B09246.jpeg
7DB41FCF-037B-4F83-AC13-508133B09246.jpeg (293.68 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
960C77FE-22DB-407A-A250-2F4E4FCB280A.jpeg
960C77FE-22DB-407A-A250-2F4E4FCB280A.jpeg (446.52 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
His cautious Knights and Lord on the far end struggled to engage, too afraid of the Dragon Prince charge and the RBTs. The Chosen beside the pyramid are inside, we play it as a building.

The Marauder Horsemen bravely retreated from the Swordmasters who slogged around the forest towards the Hellcannon. The Spears held a charge from the Marauders and won combat, the Marauders fled but outran the brave citizen spearmen.

The left flank was a tight jostle for position. Nobody wanted to be hit by the charge and it was honestly hard to tell whether two Bolt Throwers and an Archmage or one uncannily accurate Hellcannon was more devastating. My Lion Chariot ended up way out of position due to failing a Hellcannon panic test. The Phoenix Guard ward saves came in very handy. This second top down photo shows the position during my opponent’s turn 4.
6ADBD2E0-4793-4C53-B6AC-FD47FE788B8B.jpeg
6ADBD2E0-4793-4C53-B6AC-FD47FE788B8B.jpeg (304.3 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
In the centre, the Phoenix Guard charged the Chosen (they are “in” the pyramid in the top down but left on my opponent’s turn 4). Simultaneously the Dragon Princes charged the Warriors. The Lord and his Knights realised their mistake as they found themselves poorly positioned to assist.

Also that turn, the Spears pushed forward and charged the (rallied) Marauder horde once more.

Three crucial combats: Khorne Chosen against the Phoenix Guard, Dragon Princes against Chaos Warriors, and the Spears against the Marauders again.

But before we resolve those: some thoughts on magic and shooting. Given I’ve spent 720 points on bows and magic, how did it perform? I chose Lore of Metal for obvious reasons, and rolled up spells 1, 2, 4 and 5. Which was sad, as I really wanted the 6th spell that destroys heavily armoured Chaos elites.

The snipe of spell 1 took out a Chosen Knight (his Lord had only 4+ armour). Spell 2 drew a dispel scroll to keep the Hellcannon Hellcannoning. I didn’t manage to unmake a single magic item with 5, and to be honest 2D6 S4 hits (spell 4 and the bound spell) mostly bounced off the warriors. The slightly overwhelming terrain hindered my options, clearly with clean LoS to the Marauders I could have done some real damage!

The bolt throwers were devastating. The reason the Knights and Lord were so ineffectual is their fear of the Eagle’s Claw. Correctly so (spoilers!). I reliably sliced through every rank of the Chaos Warriors for 3 or 4 kills. Good rolls, but it’s been a while since I’ve fielded two and I felt a little bad!

The archers were certainly one of my two core slots.

As for my opponent, he didn’t have a magic phase to speak of, but the Hellcannon! It killed three Dragon Princes (we figured it wasn’t flaming). It nearly wiped out ten Phoenix Guard if I hadn’t miraculously made nine ward saves! It made my chariot take and fail a panic test, meaning it got left behind. Against anything except Phoenix Guard it would be unreal.

Back to the combat. Starting with the truly heroic charge, the legendary heroes of the Elven race: I mean the spearelves of course. Inflicting three whole wounds (okay one was the BSB) they broke the Marauders, ran them down and overran into the Hellcannon. Good job!

Secondly, the Phoenix Guard fight to a bloody defeat against the Chosen. I only kill one and with three attacks each the Chosen kill three including the champion who is overkilled in a challenge by the BSB. The Phoenix Guard lose but hold.

The Dragon Princes do a strong job, killing a Warrior to no losses. They also turn their lances to the sorcerer and easily kill him off. However the Warriors hold.

Also that turn, but here for pacing reasons, the Bolt Thrower lines up and takes the shot of its lifetime at the Lord and Chosen Knights. It hits. It randomises between the four remaining Knights and the Lord and hits the Lord. It randomises between the Lord and his mount, and hits the mount. It wounds. How many wounds? All three. That Lord better enjoy walking!

Unfortunately before we could fight out the rest of the game we had to give the table up, so ended here:
2F406DCB-634E-4840-B13A-1F627323B12F.jpeg
2F406DCB-634E-4840-B13A-1F627323B12F.jpeg (332.01 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
While the balance of losses at that point looked fantastic for the elves, the odds for the Dragon Princes didn’t look good, and once the Lord and Knights reached the fray the Phoenix Guard would be in trouble too. We called it a draw!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#69 Post by SpellArcher »

Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm Another (short) battle report.
Welcome back Sturen.

:)
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm I’m running 7th edition high elves because the 6th edition Phoenix Guard rules make me sad and I’ve got 25 of them!
Shrewd move.
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm Is two bolt throwers and 10 PD a bit cheesy? Perhaps but the rest is fair.
Good but not horrific I would say.
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm My opponent had the 6th edition hordes of chaos rules: 20 Marauders, Marauder Horsemen, about 20 Warriors, 10 or so Chosen, and 5 Chosen Knights. For characters he had a lord on Demonic Beast, BSB and a scroll caddy. Various Khorne marks. Oh, and a Hellcannon!
Your list seems slightly better but 6th Edition WoC were no joke.
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm Lots of terrain to my opponents favour,
It does seem to restrict your shooting.
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm I chose Lore of Metal for obvious reasons, and rolled up spells 1, 2, 4 and 5. Which was sad, as I really wanted the 6th spell that destroys heavily armoured Chaos elites.
Could have been very effective.
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm I reliably sliced through every rank of the Chaos Warriors for 3 or 4 kills.
I remember a 6th Edition White Dwarf batrep where something very similar happened.
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm Back to the combat. Starting with the truly heroic charge, the legendary heroes of the Elven race: I mean the spearelves of course. Inflicting three whole wounds (okay one was the BSB) they broke the Marauders, ran them down and overran into the Hellcannon. Good job!
Go Spears!
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm Secondly, the Phoenix Guard fight to a bloody defeat against the Chosen.
Chosen had that extra killing power that could overcome static combat res, rare in 6th.
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm It randomises between the Lord and his mount, and hits the mount. It wounds. How many wounds? All three. That Lord better enjoy walking!
Nice!
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm While the balance of losses at that point looked fantastic for the elves, the odds for the Dragon Princes didn’t look good, and once the Lord and Knights reached the fray the Phoenix Guard would be in trouble too. We called it a draw!
Delicately poised. Thanks for that Sturen!
Sturen

#70 Post by Sturen »

Yeah I have to say it was one of the most fun games since I’ve been back. Lots of bloody combat and thematic moments!

I’m excited to be taking part in a campaign starting next week. We’re playing a Lustria campaign (given the jungle table!) with lots of scenarios and special rules: damp black powder, insect swarms, spawning pools, and more.

There are about 6 of us involved and the goal should be 2-3 games per month at 1000 points. I’m hoping the added interest will drag a few more people into raising 1000 points of square bases for the summer too! And (whisper it) I’m hoping to ultimately field a fully painted army.

I plan to play something like:
Mage, Level 2, Jewel of Dusk
BSB, DP kit and Helm of Fortune
14 Spears with Command
7 Swordmasters
6 Dragon Princes
RBT

Very simple little list, with a small juggernaut of Dragon Princes. Everything is painted except a few layers on the bolt thrower, the Dragon Princes, and some basing.

I’ve got two games scheduled for next weekend: dwarves and dark elves. Nothing could be more appropriate than our two greatest foes to start the campaign. For Ulthuan!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#71 Post by SpellArcher »

Sturen wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:36 am We’re playing a Lustria campaign
Wasn't that a sourcebook from the end of 6th Edition?
Sturen wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:36 am I plan to play something like:
Mage, Level 2, Jewel of Dusk
BSB, DP kit and Helm of Fortune
14 Spears with Command
7 Swordmasters
6 Dragon Princes
RBT
I like it, except I'd be tempted to take Archers (or maybe LSG) instead of Spears, shooting is great at 1000pts. I'm guessing Spears are what you have painted Sturen?
Sturen wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:36 amdark elves
Make sure to hammer these guys.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#72 Post by Prince of Spires »

That definitely sounds like an epic and fun game. Having it end a draw even sounds like the perfect outcome for it.

Let us know how the campaign goes. It should be great.

Check out my plog

Sturen

#73 Post by Sturen »

The mists began to fade as the morning sun rose over the jungle. The murmur of elves wiping the humid dew from their weapons was broken only by the coughs and groans of the sick — a terrible plague had struck almost the moment they made landfall. The mage had consulted his books and scrolls (at least those that were still dry) and discovered a cure he hoped to find in the nearby spawning pools. The expedition struck out at a march, and came upon the pools before midday. But, before they could approach across the boggy terrain, the scouts put up the cry: corsairs, likely a raiding party here for the same medicinal plants. The elves formed ranks and prepared for battle…

To kick off the Lustria campaign, I faced a dark elven pirate army. Led by Lokhir Fellheart! Two sets of corsairs, one with Lokhir and one with a Sorceress, two bolt throwers, and ten dread spears. We rolled for scenarios and got both plague and spawning pools. The plague meant each unit took a toughness test or suffered -1 strength, which hit both my dragon princes and spears, and one of his corsair units. The spawning pools were an objective worth 100 victory points.

Here is deployment. The pool on the left was the objective. We decided to play the spawning pools as open for movement otherwise it would just add an extra turn of slogging forwards!
IMG_4557.jpg
IMG_4557.jpg (498.35 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
My only plan was to get into combat as fast as possible so I didn't get destroyed by the bolt throwers. To my surprise my opponent agreed and moved his corsairs forwards.
IMG_4558.jpg
IMG_4558.jpg (437.81 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
Note that already one dragon princes has died to the bolt throwers turn one. On my first turn I also simply raced forward. My bolt thrower killed four corsairs thanks to Curse of Arrow Attraction. At the end of turn one things looked like this:
IMG_4561.jpg
IMG_4561.jpg (416.76 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
On his turn two he charged my spears (who managed to handle the terror of Lokhir). The bolt throwers once again killed a dragon prince, and also took out a swordmaster. Thankfully once of the swordmasters was saved by Shield of Saphery. The combat was quite bloody. Lokhir is apparently an absolute combat beast, and slaughtered my mage. However, both units were afflicted by the plague, meaning that both units with dozens of attacks managed one wound between them. Very close combat as terror could have broken and ran down my spears instantly!
IMG_4563.jpg
IMG_4563.jpg (465.87 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
In my turn I struck back, with the dragon princes and lion chariot both charging the other corsairs, and the swordmasters supporting the spears. Those combats both went roughly as you would expect, with both corsair units breaking and being run down, though not without Lokhir killing three swordmasters.
IMG_4564.jpg
IMG_4564.jpg (464.89 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
Continued…

Sturen

#74 Post by Sturen »

IMG_4565.jpg
IMG_4565.jpg (810.97 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
The remaining Druchii with an unpleasant fate!

The dreadspears bravely charged the flank of the lion chariot, if nothing else than to protect the bolt throwers.
IMG_4569.jpg
IMG_4569.jpg (469.12 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
They did successfully pin it in place while the dragon princes manoeuvred to the flank of the bolt throwers, but eventually were killed to a man. However, they bought time for the bolt throwers to successfully wipe out the remaining swordmasters and cause the spears to panic and flee from the pool!

While I didn't photograph it, luck was not on the dark elves side, as the lion chariot and dragon princes eventually worked their way through the remaining bolt throwers, and the remaining five spears even rallied to hold onto the spawning pool. With the pirates wiped out, a massacre for the elves though not without heavy losses!

Great fun game, I'd forgotten how different 1000 points feels. It was my opponent's second game and I think his list could be refined, his sorceress was a basic level 1 with power stone and didn't really achieve much, and while the 10 dreadspears might seem like a decent idea to defend the bolt throwers, in reality they're just a speed bump and would be better spent on more shooting or a scarier unit to support the corsairs. However, the battle was closer than it appeared, if Lokhir and his corsairs had broken my spears I might never have recovered.

Onwards to the dwarves tomorrow!

Nicanor

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated Jan 2023 – Campaign for Lustria)

#75 Post by Nicanor »

Excellent report and always happy to hear the elves winning.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#76 Post by SpellArcher »

Sturen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:54 pm To kick off the Lustria campaign, I faced a dark elven pirate army. Led by Lokhir Fellheart!
Highly appropriate.
Sturen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:54 pm We decided to play the spawning pools as open for movement otherwise it would just add an extra turn of slogging forwards!
Quite an open field already, clearly your opponent was keen to get his special character into combat!
Sturen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:54 pm To my surprise my opponent agreed and moved his corsairs forwards.
Sitting tight does look wiser.
Sturen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:08 pm My bolt thrower killed four corsairs thanks to Curse of Arrow Attraction.
Such a great spell. Imagine if you'd brought Archers Sturen.
Sturen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:54 pm Very close combat as terror could have broken and ran down my spears instantly!
This does seem to be the key combat.
Sturen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:08 pm I think his list could be refined, his sorceress was a basic level 1 with power stone and didn't really achieve much, and while the 10 dreadspears might seem like a decent idea to defend the bolt throwers, in reality they're just a speed bump and would be better spent on more shooting
This. The Corsairs and RBT seem like solid picks. Bringing Lockhir might have been a bit ambitious but he does look like fun!
Nicanor wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:01 pm Excellent report and always happy to hear the elves winning.
This. But which elves?

Sturen wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:08 pm Onwards to the dwarves tomorrow!
How did this go?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#77 Post by Prince of Spires »

Definitely a fun (and bloody) little battle.

I think your opponent made the most crucial mistake turn 1. Moving forward when he had the ranged superiority was not the best idea, and moving both units separately was a worse idea. This allowed you to gang up on both units with multiple of your own units. Which is something no army deals with well, least of all elves. What's more, with your more mobile right flank, you could have simply ignored the corsairs on your right at the start and aimed for the unit on the left and bolt throwers. Which would have effectively made him fight a 750 vs 1000pts battle for a while.

I am curious if you remembered Valour of the Ages, which would have let you reroll all psychology tests this game? It's one of those smaller rules I always forget since it comes into play so rarely for me (since I don't play DE often).

Check out my plog

Sturen

#78 Post by Sturen »

Such a great spell. Imagine if you'd brought Archers Sturen.
Archers would be the stronger pick, but my spears are better painted, and I'm always aware my 7th edition book is a bit overmatched against my opponents at times! Although that was the 7th edition dark elf book, supposedly even stronger.
I think your opponent made the most crucial mistake turn 1. Moving forward when he had the ranged superiority was not the best idea, and moving both units separately was a worse idea. This allowed you to gang up on both units with multiple of your own units. Which is something no army deals with well, least of all elves. What's more, with your more mobile right flank, you could have simply ignored the corsairs on your right at the start and aimed for the unit on the left and bolt throwers. Which would have effectively made him fight a 750 vs 1000pts battle for a while.
Agreed, two bolt throwers at 1000 points really need to earn their keep, and an extra turn before combat would have been rough for me.
I am curious if you remembered Valour of the Ages, which would have let you reroll all psychology tests this game? It's one of those smaller rules I always forget since it comes into play so rarely for me (since I don't play DE often).
Surprisingly yes! The terror test to charge Lokhir was only passed thanks to my reroll, although I have to say his eternal hatred was probably stronger (grumble grumble).

Now, onto the dwarves!

Having secured the medicinal herbs from the spawning pools, and recuperated from the skirmish with the dark elven pirates, the elves entrenched their position on the Lustrian coast and began the difficult job of securing food, water, and eventually they hoped trade. Having encountered nothing but disease, pirates, and poisonous insects, they were excited to spot the smoke of a camp some distance away up the coast. Immediately a rider was sent, only for the rider to return at a gallop with a warning: dwarves. No self-respecting elf would trade anything but blows with their old foes, and sure enough it wasn't long before they found themselves drawing the battle lines against the dwarven host.

We rolled up a standard pitched battle, but I ended up with BEEEEES giving -1 weapon skill to my lion chariot, and my opponent found a local guide giving him a free 8" move after deployment, not very dwarven in my opinion! That was the slayers you see placed forward below.
IMG_4573.jpg
IMG_4573.jpg (410.37 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
From left to right I faced: a solid block of warriors with his general with an oath stone, a unit of quarrellers, an organ gun, iron breakers (I think), and then a unit of slayers.

I was very nervous of the shooting, but probably underestimated the dwarven fighters.
IMG_4574.jpg
IMG_4574.jpg (532.01 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
My mage had two metal spells: the single target armour save spell, and the 2D6 armour save spell. How d'you like that Gromril now?

I realised the threat of the organ gun to simply rip through my dragon princes and, with questionable strategic genius, instead pivoted them to the right towards the slayers. The swordmasters and chariot both moved forward while considering line of sight. The spears shuffled forward for maximum LoS and range.
IMG_4575.jpg
IMG_4575.jpg (431.39 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
This was the end of turn 1, in this image I'd already lost one dragon prince to quarrellers, but on the plus side my bolt thrower had miraculously dealt a wound to his organ gun.

On his second shooting phase his organ gun unloaded on my sword masters, killing four and they panicked. His quarrellers with incredible aim took out a spearelf. That left the situation like so.
IMG_4577.jpg
IMG_4577.jpg (411.47 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
On my next turn, everything moved forward, the sword masters rallied and the lion chariot pushed into position to threaten any dwarf that dared advance. This was the point where I created eternal elven shame. In a move that must have made sense as I did it, I pushed my dragon princes forward to the gap between the ruins and central forest. After a successful magic and shooting phase that killed a few iron breakers, I turned over the turn counter and asked my opponent if he had any charges to declare: "Yes, slayers into the flank of the dragon princes!"
IMG_4578.jpg
IMG_4578.jpg (464.28 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
This is the one thing we didn't want to happen.

To be continued...

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#79 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sturen wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:22 pm This is the one thing we didn't want to happen.
Ouch! That's definitely not something you want.

Tight battle. I think it does show the unbalance you can have at 1.000pts. Shooting can be very painful. Of course, dwarven shooting is always painful. But at this points level, its impact can be devastating.

Curious to see how it works out.

Check out my plog

Sturen

#80 Post by Sturen »

Tight battle. I think it does show the unbalance you can have at 1.000pts. Shooting can be very painful. Of course, dwarven shooting is always painful. But at this points level, its impact can be devastating.
I don't think the organ gun in unreasonable, when it works it really works but against less elite armies it isn't so strong, not to mention it has a habit of exploding!

Continuing!

In other moves, the warriors shuffled upwards to support the iron breakers, and shooting was a flop with very limited line of sight for the quarrellers. Then the dragon prince combat began (poorly) with a couple of dragon prince killed and no dwarves killed in return. The knights held.

On my turn, I charged the lion chariot into the iron breakers, and moved the infantry up behind. Before combat on my turn things looked like this.
IMG_4581.jpg
IMG_4581.jpg (457.36 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
I got rule of burning iron on his general but he wasn't wounded, he had only a 3+ armour save but with a 4+ ward.

It was all up to the lion chariot to deal some wounds and maybe even run down the iron breakers. S5 and S6 attacks are well suited to T4 2+ troops and I was optimistic with their minimal static combat resolution. I rolled one impact hit and ended up with no wounds dealt. Losing combat by two I failed my break test and fled, the dwarves did not pursue.
IMG_4582.jpg
IMG_4582.jpg (489.84 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
Looks pretty cool though.

Pretty understandably after having a lion chariot flee into them, the spearmen failed their panic test and also fled. The battle line didn't look so hot. On the plus side, the dragon princes managed to kill a couple of dwarves and therefore win combat, reforming into contact with the full unit.

My opponent didn't do too much movement, bringing his quarrellers forward into range and swinging forward the warriors. The final dragon princes died (leaving only the BSB and his 1+ rerollable save), and only five slayers remained.

On my turn I launched a hail mary and charged the swordmasters into the iron breakers: all four of them. Both the chariot and spearmen rallied. The sword masters made a good effort, killing two iron breakers, but lost two to return attacks. They lost but held.
IMG_4583.jpg
IMG_4583.jpg (473.39 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
We could really do with some cavalry about now!

My opponent apparently respected the swordmasters enough to bring his warriors forward, but we might as well have skipped directly to combat on his turn. The BSB took a wound this time but killed another slayer, while the swordmasters killed one, but were wiped out in the return attack.

The spears bravely hid in the forest, but I took one last shot for the final turn: my lion chariot charged the warrior block, who "placed the oathstone", removing the effects of being charged in the flank by a pair of giant lions! The lion chariot killed a warrior, took a wound, lost combat badly, and fled again. The BSB nearly wiped out the slayers, but not quite.
IMG_4590.jpg
IMG_4590.jpg (472.04 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
The battlefield after six turns

Surveying the damage, it was a solid victory for the dwarves.Remarkably few units actually killed, but I'd just not done enough damage to the dwarves. I deserved the loss for sure! We wrapped the game up so quickly that we actually played a second the same day, and that battle report will come soon too.

Nicanor

#81 Post by Nicanor »

I hope the second match went better. Give those stunted mountain dwellers a good thrashing!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#82 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shame on the loss, though it was to be expected after the interception of the Dragon Princes by the slayers. They represented a large chunk of your army, and one of your main mobile shock troops. They could have swung any of the central combats.

The first Lion Chariot didn't help either. Getting no wounds on D6 S5, 2 S6 and 4 S5 attacks is unlucky. How did you end up losing combat by 2? From the image it looks like it should have been a tie: charge vs banner, no wounds dealt.

It does look like a fun battle, which counts for something :)

Check out my plog

Sturen

#83 Post by Sturen »

Not the best pictures but here’s my progress on the Dragon Princes. They’re great models so I’ve been intimidated to start them, and they are also so difficult to paint. Only 7 pictured but there is an 8th who doesn’t fit on the tray.
7BC7C124-667A-4EF5-AFE4-7A7285ADA81C.jpeg
7BC7C124-667A-4EF5-AFE4-7A7285ADA81C.jpeg (757.71 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
There’s only one in the unit that’s had all the highlights applied yet so here’s a close up.
50DF22D5-EF6E-4968-85BE-CE385D52CDF7.jpeg
50DF22D5-EF6E-4968-85BE-CE385D52CDF7.jpeg (633.36 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
I’m not sure I’m totally happy with the bone colour armour but I think the red is going to be really strong contrast.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#84 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like them. The red and blue work great together. And the bone armour sets it off nicely. It's a great effect and makes them look regal and menacing.

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#85 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:47 pm I like them. The red and blue work great together. And the bone armour sets it off nicely. It's a great effect and makes them look regal and menacing.
I agree. The colours are really rich. I see what you mean about the bone Sturen but it still looks good and very striking.
Sturen

#86 Post by Sturen »

I like them. The red and blue work great together. And the bone armour sets it off nicely. It's a great effect and makes them look regal and menacing.
I agree. The colours are really rich. I see what you mean about the bone Sturen but it still looks good and very striking.
Thank you both! The look is definitely growing on me, and once I've hit all the colours with another highlight and some edge highlights they'll look grand.

Onwards to a battle against the same cursed dwarves! I did promise to write up game two but it's now been too long, it ended in a close tie.

I decided to bring out the dragon mage again as I can't resist the novelty at 1000pts. Therefore I brought:

Dragon Mage, level 2 with Sacred Incense, Gem of Courage, Silver Wand
10 Archers
7 Swordmasters
7 Dragon Princes
Lion Chariot

That's what you call a small army!
IMG_4740.jpeg
IMG_4740.jpeg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 4597 times
I deployed wide, trying to stop the dwarven shooting from ganging up on any given unit.

My opponent, left to right, had bolt thrower, 15 longbeards, 19 warriors with his general, some quarrellers, another bolt thrower, and then miners who were not yet deployed. Dwarves went first, in the photo above my opponent has taken his first few moves but nothing else. The quarrellers managed to kill a dragon prince, meanwhile his bolt thrower hit, wounded, and then dealt three wounds to the sun dragon, leaving just two left.
IMG_4742.jpeg
IMG_4742.jpeg (170.93 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
I promise my dragon mage is bold and reckless, just like the fluff!

I sprinted forwards full pace. This might actually be after my opponent's turn two as well, given that the dwarves moved backwards 1.5" and then shot again. This shooting phase was far less successful as his bolt throwers missed. My turn one magic phase was also underwhelming, despite the bonus dice I only had two worthwhile spells (D6 fireball and 2D6 fireball, the other was flaming sword which dwarves would happily dispel in their own magic phase). I failed to cast fireball on 2 dice and he dispelled big fireball.

On my turn two, I declared all the charges I could. The dragon princes into the quarrellers, chariot into the warriors, and sword masters tackling the longbeards.
IMG_4746.jpeg
IMG_4746.jpeg (211.03 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
Why are there so few of us and so many of them?

I began by fighting the easiest combat for me: quarrellers. The dragon princes chopped through the quarrellers very smoothly, though enough struck back with great weapons to kill a knight. I won combat overwhelmingly and pursued to get out of sight of the bolt thrower, running them down.

The lion chariot did a lot less respectably. D6 impact hits turned into one hit, and I dealt no wounds across all attacks (I swear this thing has had success in the past!). It lost by loads and fled.

Finally the sword masters. With some pretty good rolling, they killed five longbeards, therefore taking no return attacks. However, static combat resolution took us to a tie, and the musician meant I lost by one, but held.
IMG_4747.jpeg
IMG_4747.jpeg (178.83 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
After the carnage, notice the dragon now hiding within the forest to grill the war machine in my magic phase. He did, it's down a wound and a crew at this point.

I felt good at this point after two turns, my sword masters becoming favoured without outnumber or ranks from next turn, and the dragon princes still a solid force, hopefully allied with the dragon and chariot, to crush the warriors.

We're without photos for a short while, but the next turn my opponent did the expected redressing. The warriors rotated to face the dragon, everything shot again but with no good targets did no damage.

My turn three I did what any self respecting dragon prince would do and wheeled around to find them facing but over six inches from, the dwarf warriors. The dragon should have moved to support but probably out of fear of bolt throwers, stayed in his forest. The chariot rallied and aimed back towards the warriors.

On the left flank, across the two rounds of combat the sword masters and longbeards were locked in a tight battle. I believe that in the two turn three combats we had a tie with musician tie break, I held, followed by poor rolling and the swordmasters losing by two, but holding again. Then in my opponents turn four combat, the masters finally broke after more poor rolling, but escaped.

Returning to the centre of the field, on my turn four I charged with both the dragon princes and chariot into the warriors. My sword masters rallied to face again their old foe: longbeards!

Another round of shocking rolling saw the lion chariot do little, and the dragon princes even less, for 2 wounds dealt total. The warriors struck back on the wounded chariot, destroying it and killing three knights (fair play to the thane for pulling his weight and killing two). With such a shocking result, the remaining two dragon princes fled.
IMG_4749.jpeg
IMG_4749.jpeg (152.27 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
There's hope, right?

As you can see above, my opponent did the honourable thing and charged the swordmasters: five against five, a fair fight. You'll also notice that the miners arrived, impeccably on time! Finally my magic phase and breath weapon wiped out the bolt thrower leaving just crew.

I've no further photos but the sword masters came so close, leaving just one longbeard left, and themselves hanging on with just a couple of models. But, shamefully, the dragon princes failed their leadership 9 test to rally, and fled again, directly through my general. That's a panic test. Good thing I spent ten points on a gem of courage for a 3D6 leadership test in just these situations! I then rolled: 5, 5, 4. Oh dear. The dragon followed the two knights off the table!

After totalling everything up it came to a solid victory for the dwarves, which felt rough given that with two passed leadership tests on turn 6 I'd have preserved 640 victory points and probably won a victory myself!

I'm certainly knocking the dragon mage on the head, turns out one of the Lustria campaign scenarios will frequently cut flyers to 10" moves, which cripples the mobile terror test, fireball and breath weapon machine. Simply I had an army made entirely of support units with nobody for them to support. Each punches well above it's weight but overcoming 3-6 static combat resolution is just two much for any one unit, or even two at once sometimes! Onwards and upwards for the Asur!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#87 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sturen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:17 pm I'm certainly knocking the dragon mage on the head, turns out one of the Lustria campaign scenarios will frequently cut flyers to 10" moves, which cripples the mobile terror test, fireball and breath weapon machine.
That's rough. I sort of understand it from the perspective of the large, strong monsters like the Star Dragon. But even when flying 20'' the Dragon Mage needs all the help he can get to make him worth his while. It's one of the models I would love to love. It's such a great concept. I've tried it a few times and it rarely is worth the points. Though he's definitely fun in friendly matches.

Check out my plog

Sturen

#88 Post by Sturen »

We're so back! I'm thrilled by what I've seen of TOW rules so far. My poor Phoenix Guard seem to have been weakened significantly, but I will still be fielding a block of them. I'm looking forward to working towards a completely painted 2000 points of elves.

But, I have two depressing factors: first, my beloved gaming store, with the jungle table seen above and a surprising number of Warhammer fantasy veterans, went bust and shut down. I did my best to save them by purchasing the second of my depressing factors: the start of an Ogre Kingdoms army, not supported in The Old World! But this is painting log, so get ready for: The Most Marvellous Maw's Carnivorous Carnival!

You've heard of Ironguts? Get ready for the overwhelming charge of the Steelstriders:
IMG_5935.jpg
IMG_5935.jpg (976.79 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
Before paint, some of the first sculpting work I've done.
73D87FA8-2C87-4C46-A60F-A5CD84DB4A9B.jpg
73D87FA8-2C87-4C46-A60F-A5CD84DB4A9B.jpg (974.33 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
After paint. I am really pleased with the skin tone and personality in these. Don't miss the clown nose on the gut-plate!

Next, while there's usually a cannonball act, heavy artillery isn't standard in the circus. But nonetheless:
IMG_5993.jpg
IMG_5993.jpg (1003.3 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
It might have been that I'm more familiar with early 2000s plastic kits, but this is a very satisfying build and really shows off GW's technical abilities.

What does every circus need? Clowns. But these are definitely of the horror clown variety…
IMG_6037.jpg
IMG_6037.jpg (967.32 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
These will be my "bulls", more subtle conversion work- clown shoes and custom hair.

Finally a group photo of the infantry:
IMG_6041.jpg
IMG_6041.jpg (992.82 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
Roll up, roll up! The greatest show on Earth is in town!

That's the majority of an AoS battalion box. I need to base them all, finish the Mournfangs, Leadbelchers, and some characters I have in the works and I expect I'll have 1000+ points playable from the pdf rules.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated Jan 2024 – Carnivorous Carnival)

#89 Post by SpellArcher »

Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:48 pmWe're so back!
Aren't we though!
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:48 pm I'm looking forward to working towards a completely painted 2000 points of elves.
Look forward to seeing this develop.
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:48 pm But, I have two depressing factors: first, my beloved gaming store, with the jungle table seen above and a surprising number of Warhammer fantasy veterans, went bust and shut down.
Sorry to hear that Sturen.
Sturen wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:48 pmSteelstriders
Nice conversion work on these and the painting in general, you're making good progress!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated Jan 2024 – Carnivorous Carnival)

#90 Post by Prince of Spires »

They look great. And a circus needs a cannon act. Though they normally shoot people, not cannonballs. But I can imagine that in the WH universe shooting people with cannonballs counts as valid entertainment...

Check out my plog