Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. Mounted high elf ember mage 10/04/21

#1201 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:the lore of beasts didnt use to be ember magic?
I thought it was to do with fire.
Mireadur

#1202 Post by Mireadur »

Finished! I used leather and bronze, along with the orange for the mage. The purple, more typical of the amethyst, has been a choice purely for contrast. On the gems over the mage+s body i used blue though, since these were directly over the orange tunic, although i maybe should have gone with the purple again. Anyway, i hope you like the scheme.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1203 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:Anyway, i hope you like the scheme.
The gems especially.
Azaam

#1204 Post by Azaam »

Great job, as usual :D
Of course, the gems look gorgeous but I especially like your work on the leather and the clothes. Very deep colours and shadows.
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Mireadur

#1205 Post by Mireadur »

Thanks guys, after so many years gems are definitely nailed down, but this scheme was something i had wanted to try for a long time, since i saw a wood elf army in orange, and im really liking the orange + leather mix. Also found how orange was extemely easy to blend. The easiest colour by far, it blended by itself in reality. And the leather is also ''simply'' simple: dark brown base, elf skin on the prominent surfaces, vermin brown covering all and a final dark brown wash to bring all together and kill the brightness. Just that simple but i like the result.
MasterOfNone

#1206 Post by MasterOfNone »

Apart from the quality of the painting, that is as usual exceptionally good, I really like the choice of colours, which are unusual for Elves, but work very well.
This model feels perhaps a bit more naturalistic than in other work you showed previously.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Mireadur

#1207 Post by Mireadur »

MasterOfNone wrote:Apart from the quality of the painting, that is as usual exceptionally good, I really like the choice of colours, which are unusual for Elves, but work very well.
This model feels perhaps a bit more naturalistic than in other work you showed previously.
Thanks, more naturalistic as in more realistic? less fantastic? Yes i guess its got do to with choosing an actual common grey for the horse and the abundance of leather on the mage?

I feel the colour scheme has been a great choice. Cant wait to use it in battle with his lore of the beasts ;P
MasterOfNone

#1208 Post by MasterOfNone »

Mireadur wrote: Thanks, more naturalistic as in more realistic? less fantastic? Yes i guess its got do to with choosing an actual common grey for the horse and the abundance of leather on the mage?
I don't know if naturalistic is the correct word.
Your other models, for example your Lothern sea guard, have very vivid colours and strong contrast between shadows and highlights.
It is a beautiful and un-naturalistic style, which is very different from mine (let's forget for a moment that my mastery of the brush is much lower).
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
TyrrenAzureblade

#1209 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

That mage is looking superb! Really digging the warm color scheme here, looks great!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1210 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mireadur wrote: I feel the colour scheme has been a great choice. Cant wait to use it in battle with his lore of the beasts ;P
Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)

I can only echo what the others have said. He looks great. My favorite part is the face I think. You managed to get a lot of details in a very small space.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1211 Post by Mireadur »

The minis ive painted in the month ive been back at work. About the faces im applying a little bit of colour to the lower lip in all my elves since the plastic seaguard. It really improves the appearance. With the Handmaidens ive decided i give up, i cannot make those models look as good as i want to. They are simply horrible models proportions wise, so im just gonna paint them as good as possible and move on. The unit will look as something i painted 8 years ago but maybe can salvage the whole job thanks to the 3 character models that will be on the front row. The orc is for a friend, not very happy with it, but i will try to do something awesome for him with an bsb on boar i plan on painting this summer.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1212 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mireadur wrote:i cannot make those models look as good as i want to. They are simply horrible models proportions wise, so im just gonna paint them as good as possible and move on.
So basically what the rest of us mortals do with our models then? ;)

The maidenguard model look fine, even with the funky weird proportions of the model. You're being very critical of yourself. Though if I had to point something out, then it looks like the inside of her cloak is white on one side of the model and green on the other...

As for the orc, I'm not a big fan of the model I think. A bit too much armour stuck on or something. Still, you did a great job with the painting of him.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1213 Post by SpellArcher »

Is that chariot from the 80's Mireadur?
Mireadur

#1214 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Mireadur wrote:i cannot make those models look as good as i want to. They are simply horrible models proportions wise, so im just gonna paint them as good as possible and move on.
So basically what the rest of us mortals do with our models then? ;)

The maidenguard model look fine, even with the funky weird proportions of the model. You're being very critical of yourself. Though if I had to point something out, then it looks like the inside of her cloak is white on one side of the model and green on the other...

As for the orc, I'm not a big fan of the model I think. A bit too much armour stuck on or something. Still, you did a great job with the painting of him.

Rod
I have to say she looks ok in that picture. But shes not. The combo green+beige looks much better though, i think im gonna go with that for the whole unit. Will change the cloak from the 1st one i painted once ive painted the whole unit.

About the cloak issue... What do you mean exactly? maybe i painted one as the other? Not sure now but i got the model stored and too lazy to check it now :mrgreen:
SpellArcher wrote:Is that chariot from the 80's Mireadur?
Heheh what does your gut tell you? :mrgreen: Its for my lich/wights army. Full skeletons and some mummies.
TyrrenAzureblade

#1215 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

I don't understand what's wrong with the Handmaidens. Looks good to me! Proportions are as bad as any other model I've seen from that era. Don't know if you've noticed your mage's hands and feet, or length of their legs and arms, but they're pretty off too, but no complaints about the mage?
These look great, keep 'em coming!
Mireadur

#1216 Post by Mireadur »

No idea man, i just cant squeeze much from the handmaidens. I painted 1 for someone in this forum whose name i forgot. And lately 2 models for myself. And each time i felt great frustration during the work and after completing it. I felt specially bad with the model i painted for the mate, for obvious reasons.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1217 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:Heheh what does your gut tell you? Its for my lich/wights army. Full skeletons and some mummies.
I believe I have it somewhere. The best army I ever saw used that range, heavily converted.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1218 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mireadur wrote:[quote="Prince of Spires"
About the cloak issue... What do you mean exactly? maybe i painted one as the other? Not sure now but i got the model stored and too lazy to check it now :mrgreen:
In the picture on the right side next to the handmaiden's forward knee, the inside of the cloak on that side of the model is beige. The inside of the cloak on the left side (next to her leg standing backward), the cloak is green. It looks weird to me. Granted, it could be that one of the two sides it's not actually a cloak but some kind of ribbon (which you can't tell from the photo).

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1219 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Mireadur wrote:[quote="Prince of Spires"
In the picture on the right side next to the handmaiden's forward knee, the inside of the cloak on that side of the model is beige. The inside of the cloak on the left side (next to her leg standing backward), the cloak is green. It looks weird to me. Granted, it could be that one of the two sides it's not actually a cloak but some kind of ribbon (which you can't tell from the photo).
Well i checked the models and i believe it is painted properly, theres the cloak/skirt which left corner bends to the back of the model and the small side cloak hanging only from the left side which i have painted beige. Still could be mistaken about it.

Anyway, finished another dragon prince, finally. I had the unit completed in 2013, but i had 2 more models laying around to complete a 10 knight unit so i decided i would paint them. I think the last prince i painted 8 years ago is better in some aspects, while worse in others. 1st model is the new one, the last 2 pics belong to the last one i painted back in 2013.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. Dragon prince 12/05/21

#1220 Post by SpellArcher »

Very nice Mireadur. That green is to die for!
TyrrenAzureblade

#1221 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Most excellent! Those are some regal looking princes! Great color scheme.
Azaam

#1222 Post by Azaam »

Great model as usual.
The depth of the green and the vibrancy on the orange are wonderful. I kind of prefer the older version but the details on the newer one are on point !
Can't wait to see more !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
MasterOfNone

#1223 Post by MasterOfNone »

Superb quality, as usual.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Mireadur

#1224 Post by Mireadur »

thx guys. Yep the old one looks better. Apparently i got very good at it after the 4th dragon prince. The red, at least is far superior in the old one. This one looks more orange, but it think it is because of the light, for some reason my phone camera is showing weird colours on this combination.

Im painting the last one now, ill try to improve the red.
Mireadur

#1225 Post by Mireadur »

Last model finished yesss. The light is horrible, sorry. Colours appear dead.

So.. Just some character models and the handmaidens to fully finish the army.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mireadur's log. Last Dragon prince 23/05/21

#1226 Post by SpellArcher »

I love the way the horse almost looks like it's turned into something else. So much character.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1228 Post by Prince of Spires »

He looks great, even with the bad lighting. And I agree with you guys that the armour on the model is lovely. It gives a lot of character to what would otherwise be a simple horse.

Check out my plog

Mireadur

#1229 Post by Mireadur »

I think with these models they managed to improve the 4-5th edition princes, which were trully superlative models imo.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1230 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:I think with these models they managed to improve the 4-5th edition princes, which were trully superlative models imo.
It’s impressive that the Jes Goodwin 4th Edition range pretty much set the HE look for 25 years.