Mireadur's log. Caledor BSB Done, HE completed 30/05/22

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. Last Dragon prince 23/05/21

#1231 Post by Mireadur »

wooot, managed to finish 3 more handmaiden. It took me 2 weeks to gather the strength to finish these ugly models, but im on trail now.

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Mireadur's log. 3 handmaidens 06/06/21

#1232 Post by Prince of Spires »

You keep complaining about them, but they still look great. The only thing perhaps is that the breast-armor stands out a lot with your paint job. But other than that, they look great.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1233 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:You keep complaining about them, but they still look great. The only thing perhaps is that the breast-armor stands out a lot with your paint job. But other than that, they look great.
As intended... :twisted:

Two close ups i did just now to show em to friends. Miss universe contest for sure... :shock: 2nd from the right has one eye miscasted.

I have to say the skin tone is quite good, is the only feature really up to standard, but you are right, the models dont look bad at all, and im thinking they are gonna make a pimp unit once completed. Not my best but not the worst in the army either.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1234 Post by Prince of Spires »

Mireadur wrote:Miss universe contest for sure
They all want world peace... ;)

The second from the right is just winking at the contest judge :p

Looking at these close-ups, I'm thinking that maybe your issue in part is that there actually isn't a lot to work with on these models. The amount of details is fairly limited, but there is enough happening that you can't do much more than simple highlights. There's no flat surface you can do something with for instance.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#1235 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Mireadur wrote:Miss universe contest for sure
They all want world peace... ;)
Hahaha.. yeah. Thats what they fight for after all.
fitzlock

#1236 Post by fitzlock »

Hmmm maybe I should get a whole bunch of these Handmaidens and use them as Spearmen for my Avelorn army... Could get a bunch of shields and glue them to their backs. Probably not a cheap endeavor, though, from what I've seen the cost per model these days isn't exactly cheap.

My own musings and finding new and interesting ways to convince myself to spend money aside, great job on these! The gems especially looks fantastic.
Instagram: @Fitzlock86
Accepting commissions for character models only.
Check out my Plog: The Glittering Host of Avelorn
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
Mireadur

#1237 Post by Mireadur »

fitzlock wrote:Hmmm maybe I should get a whole bunch of these Handmaidens and use them as Spearmen for my Avelorn army... Could get a bunch of shields and glue them to their backs. Probably not a cheap endeavor, though, from what I've seen the cost per model these days isn't exactly cheap.

My own musings and finding new and interesting ways to convince myself to spend money aside, great job on these! The gems especially looks fantastic.
Fortunately we've got lots of metal recasters nowadays. Spanish based also, not chinese. The casts are perfect. thanks god as otherwise i could never have gotten this unit.
Mireadur

#1238 Post by Mireadur »

Championess done!

Now i got to paint an BSB Orc big boss on boar for a friend. I go on vacation in 10 days and i must finish it!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Mireadur's log. Handmaiden champion 16/06/21

#1239 Post by Prince of Spires »

She looks great, although she has a weird facial expression. She looks like she's been hit over the head a bit too often. Which is probably the model...
Mireadur wrote:Now i got to paint an BSB Orc big boss on boar for a friend. I go on vacation in 10 days and i must finish it!
Sounds like a fun project! I'd love to see pictures of that :)

Check out my plog

fitzlock

#1240 Post by fitzlock »

Mireadur wrote:
fitzlock wrote:Hmmm maybe I should get a whole bunch of these Handmaidens and use them as Spearmen for my Avelorn army... Could get a bunch of shields and glue them to their backs. Probably not a cheap endeavor, though, from what I've seen the cost per model these days isn't exactly cheap.

Fortunately we've got lots of metal recasters nowadays. Spanish based also, not chinese. The casts are perfect. thanks god as otherwise i could never have gotten this unit.
Guess I need to work on my Google Fu to find the Spanish based ones! I've almost finished the Finecast Handmaiden here which in combination with your plog has convinced me to get some of the classics as well. Plus, they're a unit again in Warhammer Armies Project which several of my friends are keen to try out.
Instagram: @Fitzlock86
Accepting commissions for character models only.
Check out my Plog: The Glittering Host of Avelorn
Other armies waiting to be painted: Lizardmen, Adepta Sororitas, Night Goblins, Dark Elves
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. Handmaiden champion 16/06/21

#1241 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Mireadur wrote:Now i got to paint an BSB Orc big boss on boar for a friend. I go on vacation in 10 days and i must finish it!
Sounds like a fun project! I'd love to see pictures of that :)
The orc bsb as promised, this is not my best year definitely. I've been slacking way too much with painting the last several years, but perseverance is the way. Im sure ill eventually manage some awesome paintjob!

MasterOfNone

Re: Mireadur's log. Orc boar boy bannerman 27/06/21

#1242 Post by MasterOfNone »

Seems more than alright to me.
I guess it's a matter of standards and expectations...
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1243 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree, he looks great. I really like the banner.

I do agree that he's not your best work. When looked at from the side, he looks a bit flat (?) Not sure how to describe it, maybe with the brown and the dark silver it's all cool colors. Or something like that.

Of course, it's still better than anything I put out, so there's that.

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1244 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I really like the banner.
Totally, it's awesome! I play O&G and I've not seen a device like that.
Mireadur

#1245 Post by Mireadur »

Prince of Spires wrote:I agree, he looks great. I really like the banner.

I do agree that he's not your best work. When looked at from the side, he looks a bit flat (?)
Yeah is the feeling i get also, when looking at the boar. I always try different schemes and sometimes they just dont work out so well. Maybe i should have put an extra hour in that boar.

The metal looks good actually, im pretty happy with the artis opus brush im using atm. it allows some very thin strokes.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. Chracian noble 23/10/21

#1246 Post by Mireadur »

hey guys. Long hiatus but im back with strength after 4 long months unable to grab a brush, i kept looking at those ugly handmaiden models for days and days until i had an epiphany and grabbed a different, and more appealing, model.

So heres the guy. Nothing too fancy but i like the colours.

MasterOfNone

#1247 Post by MasterOfNone »

Mireadur wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:31 pm hey guys. Long hiatus but im back with strength after 4 long months unable to grab a brush, i kept looking at those ugly handmaiden models for days and days until i had an epiphany and grabbed a different, and more appealing, model.
If a model turns you off, drop it. It's for fun, not work. Those handmaidens are ugly models, period.
Mireadur wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:31 pm So heres the guy. Nothing too fancy but i like the colours.
Me too, and was also thinking of getting some WL's and painting them with earthy red tones.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Olthannon

#1248 Post by Olthannon »

Welcome back Mireadur! Your work is as always absolutely stunning! That earthy red, almost ceramic like, is fantastic. What kind of base are you going for?
One foot in the hobby
TyrrenAzureblade

#1249 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Incredible white lion! Those transitions on the red are gorgeous, and love your NMM on the axe head! Keep up the beautiful work!
Azaam

#1250 Post by Azaam »

Amazing ! Definitely back with strength !
The color scheme is really close to what I wanted for my WL too. On one side it gives me confidence about the color scheme but on the other side it's gonna be hard to be happy with what I'll do now that I've seen yours !
My favorite painting of yours so far !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Mireadur

#1251 Post by Mireadur »

Hey guys, happy you all liked it so much. Funny coincidence we all wanted to paint red armour WLs hahaha. I dont think i had tried a red armour before, so i was a little bit unconfident about the final result (ended up happy with it). So answering to you all:

-Yup, maidens are horrible, but i must paint the unit, theres no way out of it haha. Just needed the usual 1st push to get back on track, that happens always when i stop painting. I was planning for an awesome year of painting after 3 years with less than 100 hours on each of them, but in the summer i started playing age of reckoning on the fans server and went at it for 3 long months. Anyway that vice is gone finally and here i am, hoping to make up during this fall for yet another year of painting slack.

-The bases, they are something i always do to a minimun, so will just be my standard brown n' green grass base for elves (on maidens im adding red flowers though). They sure dont steal much attention from the model itself.

-For the red since you guys liked it, i started with khorne red, then went blood red, then crimson carroburg wash, then the lights did with a somehow mixed fire dragon bright orange and elf flesh.
On this model i felt the scale skirt would look much better made of leather instead of metal (kinda like roman armours which these models resemble a little bit) and used dryad bark mixed with khorne red as base, then light with vomit brown and then covered up with any reddish brown (doombull brown in this case) very watered down. After that apply dark brown wash and reikland fleshshade wash to make it a little bit shiny (you know gw shades are currently a bit glossy, quite unconvinient for me most of the time, but im some cases like this can be useful).

Also found a guy in youtube who has really good painting tutorials, i leave the link to the channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh8SRC ... L99xGSKabA

I also follow this guy who has a quite easy style very akin to the old classic GW style of yore (audios in english too):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe8TNM ... fpuML04SUg

And of course the grand master Angel Giraldez (he also makes videos in englsh):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQVY6Z ... zJqJ6DcHgA

I hardly try to put in practice their teachings, but they are an awesome guide to learn better how to paint and the usage of colours.
MasterOfNone

#1252 Post by MasterOfNone »

OK I finally cracked and bought a shedload of White Lions on eBay. Don't know why they are so expensive compared to other HE elite infantry. Also got several Sisters of Avelorn.
Anyhow I will have more than I can paint, so hopefully I'll make some of the money back as I sell the excess. But first, there are the PG and a new unit of trolls!

I already knoew Juan Hidango (I follow him too) and Angel Giraldez, so now let me suggest a countryman of mine:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MarcoFrisoniNJM
He uses a lot of interesting techniques.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
TyrrenAzureblade

#1253 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

MasterOfNone wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:49 pmDon't know why they are so expensive compared to other HE elite infantry.
I'm guessing it's because people really loved making them into Alarielle death stars in 8th, so they're harder to find now? I've wanted to beef up my unit of 20 to at least 30 so I can have some flexibility and potential MSU applications, but yeah, they're so insanely expensive.
Mireadur

Re: Mireadur's log. Refurbished Mounted Chracian lord 28/10/21

#1254 Post by Mireadur »

They are not on sale anymore? pity.

I finished another chracian character. This is the model i painted back in 2011 riding a white lion. Time after i put the white lion in a base next to khoril as a pet and had the old rider laying around feeling useless... So finally i did something about it and painted a mount for him (also painted a new helmet for him, as the old one i used on the red armour foot noble i finished last week.

I painted a dark scheme again... Yup in leaning too much lately into darker tones.. Maybe a reflection of a weary heart? weee

New horse:

And the 2 newly nobles together:
Azaam

#1255 Post by Azaam »

Mireadur wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:31 pm I painted a dark scheme again... Yup in leaning too much lately into darker tones.. Maybe a reflection of a weary heart? weee
Careful, this is the path to Nagaryth you're walking there. Even more with this purple for the horse! :lol:

Really like your style for the horse. This strong contrast is on point.
Also it's very interesting to see how your style evolved since the time you painted this noble on white lion! I always love to see that kind of shot where you can see the evolution!
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1256 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like the horse. He's suitably imposing for the noble elf on top and the purple works well with the blue of the elf's robe. It does feel a bit like there's a mismatch between the highlighting of the puple cloth on the horse and the blue cloth of the elf. The blue has a very bright, white highlight on the edges of the cloth. The purple is a lot more muted. I would expect that with the light coming from the same direction the purple would also have a bigger contrast between the dark and light bits.

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#1257 Post by Olthannon »

Excellent work on the mounted noble and the noble steed! That dappled grey works wonderfully with the purple.
One foot in the hobby
Mireadur

#1258 Post by Mireadur »

Azaam wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:22 pm
Careful, this is the path to Nagaryth you're walking there. Even more with this purple for the horse! :lol:

Really like your style for the horse. This strong contrast is on point.
Also it's very interesting to see how your style evolved since the time you painted this noble on white lion! I always love to see that kind of shot where you can see the evolution!
Haha indeed, Im finding a lot of joy in darker schemes. Its really interesting to look in retrospective and see your own evolution. However, i think the search for more contrast is a natural evolution in painting and the 1st and easiest way to get it is through the use of white lighting, but later on you start exploring the shading.

Anyway, im liking a lot the last 4 horses ive painted for HE, all of them in shades of grey. I think i managed my maximum skills with them.
Prince of Spires wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:19 am I like the horse. He's suitably imposing for the noble elf on top and the purple works well with the blue of the elf's robe. It does feel a bit like there's a mismatch between the highlighting of the puple cloth on the horse and the blue cloth of the elf. The blue has a very bright, white highlight on the edges of the cloth. The purple is a lot more muted. I would expect that with the light coming from the same direction the purple would also have a bigger contrast between the dark and light bits.
Totally on spot, i didnt even think a second about this, not that i would have taken action anyway as i was not going to repaint the rider, but i guess it serves as a living example of old vs new techniques on my painting.

As a curiosity to say that the original helmet of the rider is the one on the red foot noble (which i mostly repainted) and painted a new helmet for the model on horse.
Last edited by Mireadur on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1259 Post by SpellArcher »

They're both quite striking Mireadur. Am I right in thinking you're using more colours now than perhaps you used to?
Mireadur

#1260 Post by Mireadur »

SpellArcher wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:30 pm They're both quite striking Mireadur. Am I right in thinking you're using more colours now than perhaps you used to?
Yes of course, im using and experimenting with a wider palette for sure. I think this also goes in line with the normal evolution in people's paintjobs along with what i talked about of gaining contrast through white and later on through shading.