Sturens Painting Log (updated July ‘21 – the 7 Year Update)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Loremasters, The Heralds

Sturen

Re: Sturens Painting Log (updated July ‘21 – the 7 Year Update)

#61 Post by Sturen »

A brief battle report from my 2000 points against a fun balanced Dwarf list. In the end I changed out the list above, dropped 10 Phoenix Guard and some Swordmasters to squeeze in a basic Archmage with a bound spell and the +1 power dice Jewel of Dusk. Made the list really magic heavy and troop light, but against Dwarfs it didn't feel overwhelming.

He was fielding three fighting units: one of about 20 Slayers with a hero Slayer, one of 20 Hammerers with a fighting King, and one of 20 Warriors with a Runesmith. He had two small units of dwarves with guns, a Cannon, a Flamecannon, and a Gyrocopter. Not overly shooty, and some really great old school dwarves. And everything painted to put me to shame!

I deployed in cover, with my Dragon Princes on the right flank lined up against his Flame cannon and Gyrocopter, Dragon behind a hill in the center and my other infantry on the left. Shortly after I explained my +D6 combat resolution, he plonked down his unbreakable Slayers to meet the Dragon Princes.

I don't have as many photos to do a full battle report, but the summary is that my Dragon Princes charged and gradually hacked their way through all the Slayers - including the champion surviving and ultimately killing his character in a duel. I think he misplayed by using extra hand weapons to try three S4 attacks rather than two huge great weapon S6 swings. Even a unit of Handgunners making it into the flank couldn't save them, but unbreakable did successfully take my Dragon Princes (and the Dragon, the Mage promptly killed off the top) all game to kill. The Dragon ultimately killed about one dwarf in three combat rounds so maybe that was a mistake!

A small subplot involved the Gyrocopter swooping up my side of the board to burn the Archers and hopefully cause a panic test. Luckily between actually putting a wound on with the Archers, and my Bolt Thrower, I knocked it out the sky before it could roast more than a couple of Archers. His Flamecannon also killed a couple of archers before misfiring and destroying itself. His actual Cannon, despite getting a couple of clean shots at the Dragon, mostly got stuck in the mud, and between that and my casting a spell to disable the cannon, it only ended up killing a couple of Spearelves later in the game, so not as bad as it could have been!

Over on my left flank, the Swordmasters took a battering from gunfire and panicked, leaving the spears exposed against the Hammerers and Warriors. Luckily my Archmage toasted 14 Warriors in two magic phases with some lore of metal on that Gromril Plate, and then he and his Phoenix Guard entourage bravely flank charged the Hammerers to let the spears fight the remaining six Warriors and Runesmith without backup.

Weight of numbers in my Spears broke the Warriors, but my Archmage and Phoenix Guard paid the price: rubber halberds and the Dwarf King overkilling the poor champion. They were promptly run down. This left his block poorly placed, with the freshly rallied Swordmasters to their front and a grumpy Sun Dragon, finally clear of Slayers, to the rear. The Swordmasters bravely charged the front, and the Sun Dragon failed his stupidity test (dead rider), and decided not to help. The champion triggered his Talisman of Loec, straight into a well armoured Dwarven King. I rolled surprisingly well and put a wound on him, but unsurprisingly his Hammerers broke and ran down the unsupported Swordmasters.

Fortunately, the Spears now had a clear chance to ransack his artillery line, and charged into the enemy Cannon. Meanwhile, the Dragon Princes, having finally wiped out the Slayers, wheeled around to assist in bringing the pain to his second unit of Handgunners. Things were looking grim for the dwarves as his Hammerers and King too far away to assist, and with turn 6 wrapping up with both those backline units destroyed, it looked to be somewhere between a minor and solid victory for the elves. Almost his whole army except the General and Hammerers destroyed, while I'd lost my General and his unit, but almost nothing else.

Fun game! I was underwhelmed by Slayers, they died in droves, but I also think he didn't capitalise on tying up my Dragon Princes well enough. I actually felt too magic heavy - especially the first two turns I was struggling to use all my power dice. The Dragon Mage was certainly fun: very lucky to dodge so many cannonballs, and although the Sun Dragon didn't actually do much damage, the mobility and casting power felt good. Of course, both of us played a bit of rule of cool when it came to the Dragon, so he didn't get too much light arm fire to snipe him off the back - and ultimately he died. I suppose in combat he is just 2 T3 5++ wounds so it doesn't take much. On the other hand, he "shouldn't" have been in a protracted combat so that's my fault, unbreakable dwarves and all that.

Anyway, great to get a proper sized game, and next time I'll have something painted to show, promise!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31337]My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome![/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31713]Need some inspiration? Check out the showcase![/url] [size=50](but check my log first)[/size]

Find me on Instagram: @battlestones

[quote="Furion"]This is a very bizarre argument. I build my roster around earning victory points, not around giving them away.[/quote]

Sturen

#62 Post by Sturen »

Testing photo attachments… all credit to my opponents excellent camera skills, but how do you miss that cannon shot?!
Attachments
C5104C0B-4266-4F76-B9CC-EE7DA70A7E04.jpeg
C5104C0B-4266-4F76-B9CC-EE7DA70A7E04.jpeg (607.39 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
88F430E5-FD29-4959-B45F-6EE68620CA6E.jpeg
88F430E5-FD29-4959-B45F-6EE68620CA6E.jpeg (580.72 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
E8072F9D-8B5C-4258-B76B-557D8FBAE4DE.jpeg
E8072F9D-8B5C-4258-B76B-557D8FBAE4DE.jpeg (656.95 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
F0457929-CD01-4D80-AEA0-1B524ACB5BF5.jpeg
F0457929-CD01-4D80-AEA0-1B524ACB5BF5.jpeg (542.45 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
7B40349F-FB90-4996-9B12-4983CF5C2A8D.jpeg
7B40349F-FB90-4996-9B12-4983CF5C2A8D.jpeg (552.33 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31337]My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome![/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31713]Need some inspiration? Check out the showcase![/url] [size=50](but check my log first)[/size]

[quote="Furion"]This is a very bizarre argument. I build my roster around earning victory points, not around giving them away.[/quote]

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#63 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sturen wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:31 pm
how do you miss that cannon shot?!
Sometimes you only find out during the battle that you brought your blind dwarves instead of the regular dwarves... ;) :mrgreen:

That looks like a great battle. Reads like there were a few interesting swings in there.

The dragon mage is an interesting character indeed. I do think he became better in 8th edition. His magic is a bit stronger and you can actually give him armour. He's still not great, but he's fun. And the sun dragon is indeed not that powerful. You don't want him in combat with anything in armour and not for a long time. Again, I think 8th edition made him a bit better with thunderstomp. But he's still not great.

I think the slayers suffer from the issue that no-save slow models are just not that great. They look fun on paper, but they die before they have much of an impact on the game. It's very hard to get such models right rules wise and I don't think GW has done so more than a few times. He should have probably gone for the higher S attacks against the DP's and dragon. S6 vs S4 makes such a big difference against 2+ armour saves (and even a bit against T3 models...).
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.

MasterOfNone

#64 Post by MasterOfNone »

I see the good old firethrower model repurposed as a flame cannon, cool thinking!
I have two of those, so sad that while there is plenty of similar options for the Skaven, GW have dropped it for the Dwarfs (I used them back in 3rd Edition, 30 years ago).
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins

Sturen

#65 Post by Sturen »

Anyway, great to get a proper sized game, and next time I'll have something painted to show, promise!
Oops…

I have done a good bit more work on my Phoenix Guard but they're in that chasm between "nearly done" and "done" which can be a long one, and I'm determined to wait until the first 10 are complete to show off. But I've also been very busy so haven't had much paint time!

However, I did get a dwarven rematch, this time 2500 points and with two pretty different lists. I haven't got photos or a full battle report, but I can share my list:
  • Prince on Eagle, Bow of the Seafarer, Helm of Fortune, Talisman of Protection, Lance and Armour.
  • Dragon Mage, Level 2, Silver Wand and Guardian Phoenix
  • Noble BSB with Armour of Caledor and Great Weapon
  • 10 Archers
  • 26 Spearmen, Command
  • 25 Phoenix Guard, Command and Banner of Sorcery
  • 9 Swordmasters, Command
  • Tiranoc Chariot
  • Lion Chariot
  • 7 Dragon Princes
  • 2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
My opponent had two large combat blocks: one of hammerers with a king on shieldbearers, one of ironbreakers with two runesmiths. Then a unit of quarrellers, two of thunderers, two cannons and an organ gun, a gyrocopter. Borderline gunline but no pushover in combat either, especially since those quarrellers had great weapons!

The game turned into a race into combat for me: my swordmasters were wiped out by thunderers, both chariots were popped by cannonballs, and the eagle was shot out from under the prince. But the dragon survived! It took on the quarrellers from the flank after dodging through terrain, broke them, then made it to support the battle with the king's unit. My dragon princes, spears, and (now on foot) prince teamed up on the ironbreakers and ran them down. Ultimately we were left with my dragon and 9 phoenix guard grinding down the King and his hammerers into a single remaining hammerer and king: very dwarfy! My spears with both other characters had finally taken the building that the thunderers had garrisoned all game. I won a marginal victory once it was all totalled up.

I found the prince on eagle fun (I played with the IoB griffin). The bow was super strong (bolt thrower that moves 20" then hits on 2s is good, who knew?) but dwarves didn't give me great targets, and I had to keep dodging gunfire. If I rebuilt this list I'd surely swap it for the reaver bow. On the other hand, the dragon really kicked ass this game, the magic was mediocre but the dragon performed excellently once it got into the gunline. Target saturation worked as intended and the cannons mostly took out infantry and chariots.

Azaam

#66 Post by Azaam »

Too bad you don't have any pictures I would have loved to see these two armies facing each other again !

It looks like you had a lot of fun with your game. It's stories like that that makes me want to play this game !
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#67 Post by Prince of Spires »

That reads like a fun battle. That was a phyric victory if I ever saw one...

The cannons easily dealing with the chariots is a fact of life in 7th ed. It makes them a less optimal choice in a lot of army lists. It's a shame, because they often look amazing. I'm glad you liked the dragon mage. I've run him a few times as well and he's good fun. He ads a lot of flavor to a list without being overpowered.

I do agree with Azaam though. We need more pictures ;)
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.

Sturen

#68 Post by Sturen »

Another (short) battle report. Again, all 7th edition rules and a mix of 6th and 7th edition army books. I’m running 7th edition high elves because the 6th edition Phoenix Guard rules make me sad and I’ve got 25 of them!

I ran:
Archmage, level 4, Ring of Fury, Jewel of Dusk, Folariath’s Robe
BSB with Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix and a GW
10 Archers
24 Spears with command and Lion Standard
24 Phoenix Guard with command and Banner of Sorcery
A Lion Chariot
7 Dragon Princes
7 Swordmasters
2 RBT

I wanted combined arms with strong magic (8-10 PD and a bound spell). Is two bolt throwers and 10 PD a bit cheesy? Perhaps but the rest is fair.

My opponent had the 6th edition hordes of chaos rules: 20 Marauders, Marauder Horsemen, about 20 Warriors, 10 or so Chosen, and 5 Chosen Knights. For characters he had a lord on Demonic Beast, BSB and a scroll caddy. Various Khorne marks. Oh, and a Hellcannon!

This first photo is actually after both turn 1s but shows the rough deployment. Lots of terrain to my opponents favour, I’d basically shuffled my units for better LoS while he piled forward at maximum speed.
7DB41FCF-037B-4F83-AC13-508133B09246.jpeg
7DB41FCF-037B-4F83-AC13-508133B09246.jpeg (293.68 KiB) Viewed 118 times
960C77FE-22DB-407A-A250-2F4E4FCB280A.jpeg
960C77FE-22DB-407A-A250-2F4E4FCB280A.jpeg (446.52 KiB) Viewed 118 times
His cautious Knights and Lord on the far end struggled to engage, too afraid of the Dragon Prince charge and the RBTs. The Chosen beside the pyramid are inside, we play it as a building.

The Marauder Horsemen bravely retreated from the Swordmasters who slogged around the forest towards the Hellcannon. The Spears held a charge from the Marauders and won combat, the Marauders fled but outran the brave citizen spearmen.

The left flank was a tight jostle for position. Nobody wanted to be hit by the charge and it was honestly hard to tell whether two Bolt Throwers and an Archmage or one uncannily accurate Hellcannon was more devastating. My Lion Chariot ended up way out of position due to failing a Hellcannon panic test. The Phoenix Guard ward saves came in very handy. This second top down photo shows the position during my opponent’s turn 4.
6ADBD2E0-4793-4C53-B6AC-FD47FE788B8B.jpeg
6ADBD2E0-4793-4C53-B6AC-FD47FE788B8B.jpeg (304.3 KiB) Viewed 118 times
In the centre, the Phoenix Guard charged the Chosen (they are “in” the pyramid in the top down but left on my opponent’s turn 4). Simultaneously the Dragon Princes charged the Warriors. The Lord and his Knights realised their mistake as they found themselves poorly positioned to assist.

Also that turn, the Spears pushed forward and charged the (rallied) Marauder horde once more.

Three crucial combats: Khorne Chosen against the Phoenix Guard, Dragon Princes against Chaos Warriors, and the Spears against the Marauders again.

But before we resolve those: some thoughts on magic and shooting. Given I’ve spent 720 points on bows and magic, how did it perform? I chose Lore of Metal for obvious reasons, and rolled up spells 1, 2, 4 and 5. Which was sad, as I really wanted the 6th spell that destroys heavily armoured Chaos elites.

The snipe of spell 1 took out a Chosen Knight (his Lord had only 4+ armour). Spell 2 drew a dispel scroll to keep the Hellcannon Hellcannoning. I didn’t manage to unmake a single magic item with 5, and to be honest 2D6 S4 hits (spell 4 and the bound spell) mostly bounced off the warriors. The slightly overwhelming terrain hindered my options, clearly with clean LoS to the Marauders I could have done some real damage!

The bolt throwers were devastating. The reason the Knights and Lord were so ineffectual is their fear of the Eagle’s Claw. Correctly so (spoilers!). I reliably sliced through every rank of the Chaos Warriors for 3 or 4 kills. Good rolls, but it’s been a while since I’ve fielded two and I felt a little bad!

The archers were certainly one of my two core slots.

As for my opponent, he didn’t have a magic phase to speak of, but the Hellcannon! It killed three Dragon Princes (we figured it wasn’t flaming). It nearly wiped out ten Phoenix Guard if I hadn’t miraculously made nine ward saves! It made my chariot take and fail a panic test, meaning it got left behind. Against anything except Phoenix Guard it would be unreal.

Back to the combat. Starting with the truly heroic charge, the legendary heroes of the Elven race: I mean the spearelves of course. Inflicting three whole wounds (okay one was the BSB) they broke the Marauders, ran them down and overran into the Hellcannon. Good job!

Secondly, the Phoenix Guard fight to a bloody defeat against the Chosen. I only kill one and with three attacks each the Chosen kill three including the champion who is overkilled in a challenge by the BSB. The Phoenix Guard lose but hold.

The Dragon Princes do a strong job, killing a Warrior to no losses. They also turn their lances to the sorcerer and easily kill him off. However the Warriors hold.

Also that turn, but here for pacing reasons, the Bolt Thrower lines up and takes the shot of its lifetime at the Lord and Chosen Knights. It hits. It randomises between the four remaining Knights and the Lord and hits the Lord. It randomises between the Lord and his mount, and hits the mount. It wounds. How many wounds? All three. That Lord better enjoy walking!

Unfortunately before we could fight out the rest of the game we had to give the table up, so ended here:
2F406DCB-634E-4840-B13A-1F627323B12F.jpeg
2F406DCB-634E-4840-B13A-1F627323B12F.jpeg (332.01 KiB) Viewed 118 times
While the balance of losses at that point looked fantastic for the elves, the odds for the Dragon Princes didn’t look good, and once the Lord and Knights reached the fray the Phoenix Guard would be in trouble too. We called it a draw!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#69 Post by SpellArcher »

Sturen wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm
Another (short) battle report.
Welcome back Sturen.

:)
Sturen wrote:
I’m running 7th edition high elves because the 6th edition Phoenix Guard rules make me sad and I’ve got 25 of them!
Shrewd move.
Sturen wrote:
Is two bolt throwers and 10 PD a bit cheesy? Perhaps but the rest is fair.
Good but not horrific I would say.
Sturen wrote:
My opponent had the 6th edition hordes of chaos rules: 20 Marauders, Marauder Horsemen, about 20 Warriors, 10 or so Chosen, and 5 Chosen Knights. For characters he had a lord on Demonic Beast, BSB and a scroll caddy. Various Khorne marks. Oh, and a Hellcannon!
Your list seems slightly better but 6th Edition WoC were no joke.
Sturen wrote:
Lots of terrain to my opponents favour,
It does seem to restrict your shooting.
Sturen wrote:
I chose Lore of Metal for obvious reasons, and rolled up spells 1, 2, 4 and 5. Which was sad, as I really wanted the 6th spell that destroys heavily armoured Chaos elites.
Could have been very effective.
Sturen wrote:
I reliably sliced through every rank of the Chaos Warriors for 3 or 4 kills.
I remember a 6th Edition White Dwarf batrep where something very similar happened.
Sturen wrote:
Back to the combat. Starting with the truly heroic charge, the legendary heroes of the Elven race: I mean the spearelves of course. Inflicting three whole wounds (okay one was the BSB) they broke the Marauders, ran them down and overran into the Hellcannon. Good job!
Go Spears!
Sturen wrote:
Secondly, the Phoenix Guard fight to a bloody defeat against the Chosen.
Chosen had that extra killing power that could overcome static combat res, rare in 6th.
Sturen wrote:
It randomises between the Lord and his mount, and hits the mount. It wounds. How many wounds? All three. That Lord better enjoy walking!
Nice!
Sturen wrote:
While the balance of losses at that point looked fantastic for the elves, the odds for the Dragon Princes didn’t look good, and once the Lord and Knights reached the fray the Phoenix Guard would be in trouble too. We called it a draw!
Delicately poised. Thanks for that Sturen!