My 8th edition army

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Giladis
The Merlord

My 8th edition army

#1 Post by Giladis »

The idea behind the army is to thin down enemies with magic and shooting and than fight them of in combat.

Archmage @ 340
Staff of Sorcery, Ring of Fury, L4

Noble @ 195
Great Eagle
Dragon Armour, Lance, Enchanted Shield, Reaver Bow

25 Spearmen @ 250 pts
FC

25 Spearmen @ 250 pts
FC

10 Archers @ 110 pts

10 Archers @ 110 pts

24 Swordmasters @ 445

FC, Standard of Balance, Gem of Courage

5 RBT @ 500
1 GE @ 50

CHARACTERS: 535 pts - 23,78%
CORE: 720 pts - 32%
SPECIAL: 445 pts - 19,78%
RARE: 550 pts - 24,44%
TOTAL: 2250 pts
Bolt Thrower

Re: My 8th edition army

#2 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Maybe a second eagle instead of the fifth RBT? That way you have another redirect unit to help slow down the line more.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Sturen

#3 Post by Sturen »

Obviously all this is speculation until the book is out. However, going on rumors.

The staff of sorcery looks like it will be very good in the new edition, so that is a good choice. I'm not sure about ring of fury, depends on the rules for bound spells. I'm actually not sure the level 4 upgrade is worth the 35 points. It will only give +1 to cast and an extra spell (possibly, don't think there are many rumors on spell generation yet). It won't be giving you extra power dice anymore. The noble seems good, none of the rumors affect him much as far as I can tell, except his eagle will have crushing attacks or something...

I guess you are going on 25% core. If so, that is a bit much. LSG seem to be the best choice for us next edition. I would consider taking around 30-40 LSG in a block, making for a very powerful, and stubborn, centre for your line. That is only around 400-500 points, so take another smaller unit of LSG, or archers, to make up to 25%. It is immpossible to tell if command is useful or not, musicians seem mandatory though.

24 swordmaster, 3x8? or something else? if you are going 8 wide you might as well make it 10 and get stubborn. We'd just better hope that they can still strike first most of the time, or we could be in trouble. Standard of balance and gem of courage seem like decent choices, though I'm not sure that the fear and terror immunity are as useful now that autobreaking is gone.

I would drop a bolt thrower for another couple of great eagles, you could have 15 GEs if you where completely eagle crazy, but I don't think that is a good idea :lol:. 4 RBT is a lot though, and 2 eagles may be needed to slow the enemy down more, unless marchblocking is changed completely, in which case eagles may become useless...

We shall see

Edit: great minds think alike bolt thrower :P
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Giladis
The Merlord

#4 Post by Giladis »

As far as core section is concerned I just took what would look cool on the battlefield and added a unit of swordmasters inbetween.

I have been pondering about droping an RBT and taking 2 more GE but somehow I do not see the point with enemies being able to march block them unless I pass a Ld test and at the same time they will not be doing as much march blocking as before due to the same rule.

On the other hand additional RBT's will be vital to thin down approaching enemies.

I had a practice game last night and 5 RBT at a single target backed with Curse is a horrible experience(17 Temple Guard on turn 1, 16 Saurus on turn 2 and 9 Cold one Ridders on turn 3).

As it stands our Lore with low casting values it amazing. A level 4 can hope to cast any of our spells with 2 dice while using 3 is an almost sure cast.
zuriel45

#5 Post by zuriel45 »

i may be wrong but isn't there a rumor that says you can only have 2 of the same rare, 3 in a large game?
Giladis
The Merlord

#6 Post by Giladis »

You are right but that rule does not include HE who have a special rule called Elite Army which allows them to take what ever they want within the percentage.
Lord Anathir

#7 Post by Lord Anathir »

I don't believe I'm saying this but as it stands 2 or 3 rank WL mght be the best infantry choice we have. Units of 12/14 might allow us to have a long enough battleline of stubborn troops to make lapping around our flanks considerably harder. I don't think the quasi gunline approach might work, espcially with the mobility of infantry allowing the defending player to easily screen or protect his valuable units, and also with the increased charge ranges you might not get as many shooting phases as you would in the current game.

that said, the army would look great. I used something like that in 6th for a bit and it was great fun even if swords werent very good at the time.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Keith

#8 Post by Keith »

I think we'll see a lot of lists with just an archmage for magic. I think it should work out well. However this army will really suffer against big armies. How are you going to protect your bolt throwers??
Defender of Ulthuan