2000 point help

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

steven1984

2000 point help

#1 Post by steven1984 »

Hi i have finished my list but i was woundering if any one has any improvments that might help.

Tyrion

Mage, level 2, barded elven steed, annulian crystal = 191

Mage, level 2, jewel of dusk, dispel scroll = 170

Mage, level 2, dispel scroll x2 = 175

19 lothern sea guard, shields, full command = 272

10 archers = 110

10 sword masters of hoeth, full command =180

5 dragon princes of caledor, full command =200

Repeater bolt thrower x2 = 200

great eagel x2 = 100

Total = 1998

power dice = 8 + 1 for jewel of dusk = 9

Dispel dice = 5 + 1 for annulian crystal = 6

the only other models i have is another 5 sword msters. I will be putting the mage with the steed in with the dragon princes and i will put another mage in with the sea guard and the last mage in with the archer. Tyrion will be alone but i will keep him close to the dragon princes.
The only other thing is that i do not know how i will be going up agenst so i have tryed to make a list to take on all comers
I thank you for your time and i cant wate to read your replyes
Bolt Thrower

Re: 2000 point help

#2 Post by Bolt Thrower »

You're really magic heavy which is ok, but I think it might be costing your other units from reaching their full potential. Normally I would say drop one of those mages for another unit of DP's or a chariot, but as you mentioned the only models left are 5 more sword masters, I'll make my suggestion based on that.

Drop one of the mages (I'd say the one on the steed. You need those DP's to be battle ready and the mage will only hold them back in this case) to open up points to do the following:

1. Give the lion banner to your seaguard.
2. Make your Sword Masters 14 models and deploy them 7 wide.
3. Give the Sword Masters the standard of balance.
4. Give the DP's the banner of sorcery.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

What Bolt Thrower said.

Your infantry really need the psychology protection. Ideally they need a BSB but you don't have the model.

I would also swap one dispel scroll for the Seerstaff if you can get the points.
steven1984

#4 Post by steven1984 »

I played 2 games with the list i have posted above agenst orcs and gobbos and worriors of chaos and got massacered both games.
So it looks like i am going to have to change my list a bit and spend a bit of money
Any idea's all the help i can get will be much appresheated
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Your list is not bad, it just needs a few tweaks IMHO.

What cost you the games? I find you need a bit of elvish craft against those opponents, fighting them head-on can be a bad move.
dabber
Tactician

#6 Post by dabber »

steven1984 wrote:I played 2 games with the list i have posted above agenst orcs and gobbos and worriors of chaos and got massacered both games.
I don't think the list is great, but it is not bad enough to get you easily massacred by those army books. Figure out what you did wrong on the table and work on improving what first.
Bolt Thrower

#7 Post by Bolt Thrower »

If you provide what happened in one or two of the crucial turning points (for example did you panic to shooting/magic or did you break from fear/terror, etc) we can help you find ways to guard against that.
steven1984

#8 Post by steven1984 »

The first game agenst orc's and gobbos i got done by fernatics, and then i got surounded and over wellmend by all there units and then that was me done
And chaos there touth armour took care of my shooting, there knights of korn took care of my dragon princes tyrion got killed on the 3rd or 4th turn and then the rest of my army agen got surounded and over wellmend.

Sorry about the spelling
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Ok this is a bit simplistic but I would look at running Eagles close to Night Goblin units to draw the fanatics. I suggest deploying most of your stuff on one flank and attacking fast so you only have to fight part of his army.

There are threads in the tactics section on fighting Warriors. Again though Eagles are key to march-block and divert charges. You are faster, so don't fight him on even terms. Putting the Talisman of Loec and Standard of Balance on your Swordmasters gives you a unit that can hurt him.

Looking at your list again I think it could do with another unit of cavalry or a chariot to give you more options.
dabber
Tactician

#10 Post by dabber »

Not nearly enough detail to be confident, but that sounds like a lot of room for tactical improvement. You need to think more about exactly what failed, why it failed, and what you could have done differently.

Pull fanatics early with Eagles or cavalry. Keep your troops back so they cannot surround you while you let the magic and shooting work. Then let the Swordmasters and Tyrion munch through what doesn't get taken apart.

How did Tyrion get killed? He is essentially unkillable, although he is not that hard to break. You shouldn't ever be engaging knights of khorne, because they should be forced to chase Eagles (or something else that flees the charge) all game, until RBTs or magic kill them. Tyrion plus Swordmasters (or maybe the sea guard, for the SCR) should be able to take on a lot of chaos stuff.
Bolt Thrower

#11 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I agree with Spell Archer and Dabber. Whenever you see night goblins on the table fly an eagle over them. Once in range the fanatics have to come flying out. Once exposed you should be able to gun them down with some archer fire.