Cothique fluff/lore

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sea_Dragon

Cothique fluff/lore

#1 Post by Sea_Dragon »

I was wandering if anyone knows anywhere to get fluff beyond the rule books and heraldry book for Cothique. My Cothique fluffy army currently stands as a mish mash of chrace and a liberal sprinkling lothern with a little of the storms of choas sea guard list. But I'm struggling to fang anything specific beyond ship trained silver helm.

If anyone has any ideas or knows a secret stash of lore, I would be much indbted to you. I'm not against diving into old sea elves or other older warhammer fantasy roleplaying books for tidbits.

Cheers
Cothique Captain
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Cothique fluff/lore

#2 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Might be worth poking through the archives site mate.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Sea_Dragon

#3 Post by Sea_Dragon »

Cheers bud, I'll have a hunt through.
Cothique Captain
Red Geist

#4 Post by Red Geist »

I believe I can answer this, but I do so via the same way I approach the Souls games. Souls games contain intentionally incomplete or muddled lore to allow players to come to their own conclusions to fill in the gaps. Since Warhammer Fantasy lore is far less explored over 40k, primarily because WFB mirrors common tropes so much, I use my imagination, a bit of world history, and a bit of common sense to allude and infer as best as I can.

Cothique is one of my favorite provinces within Ulthuan, and mainly because of it's location. It is the most northeastern section of the continent. It is bordered by Chrace and Yvresse, with Avelorn to the southeast across that section of the Anulii mountains. Cothique is host to many mythical sea creatures. Leviathans, Krakens, serpents, and all manner of beasts. It is also home to the famous Shifting Isles, titanic spires of rock that float about the seas nearby.

There is little danger in Cothique on land itself, the Dark Elf fleets sail directly south towards Nagarythe and Chrace to gain entrance to the land within the Inner Kingdoms, or the occasional siege of the Shrine of Khaine on the Blighted Isle, which is due north of Chrace. If anyone wanted to lay siege to Lothern, they would have to travel all the way around to the mouth of the Emerald Gate. This places Cothique in an interesting place. The sea before their land is the most treacherous in the world. Simple sailboats must worry about the lurking creatures, the shifting rock, and terrible storms. These circumstances breed the greatest sailors that can be found in the world, much to the envy of the Sea Guard of Lothern. It can be assumed that no shipmaster of the Sea Guard did not at some point train or serve in Cothique, for there can be no better training than on those seas.

The condition of the ocean there also poses a problem for humans.

Ulthuan is to the south and far to the west of the Old World. Since the Storm of Chaos, the High Elves have retreated much from the realm of men to combat the renewed efforts of the Druchii. But humanity is in no less danger. Regularly are ships sent, just like the efforts of Magnus the Pious brought him to the feet of the Phoenix King, which brought the legions of the Asur to the east and to a great victory over Chaos. After human vessels pass across the great expanse of ocean, they are met by great magical fogs and other obstacles. These are tough opponents to their quest to be sure, but could be easily avoided if they were to sail to the gates of Lothern. But imagine, the humans have been at sail for weeks, leaving their suffering kin behind. The first sight of land is paradise to them. They pierce the fog, and are met by the terrors of the Cothiquean Sea...

Nearby sailors are sure to notice the sudden entrance and possible destruction of any human vessel. Coming to the aid of those they can, the seafaring elves rescue the human messengers and bring them to shore. Of course each message is the same. Humanity is in trouble, and they need the help of the Asur. Imagine the anguish of those altruistic Cothiqean Princes and Princesses that must turn away these messengers because they were too impatient or too low on supplies to sail for Lothern, for it would be indeed folly for a handful of elves from Cothique to suddenly embark for the Old World and start slaying baddies. (this is where my army fluff comes in, but that's for another time)

In conclusion, we have a rugged seafaring nation that often goes unnoticed, but is certainly not unimportant. Humans that can't make it to Lothern end up in Cothique, and each time they are sent home, heads brought low.

Hope that helped.
Sea_Dragon

#5 Post by Sea_Dragon »

Cool man, well thought out. I think the conclusions you made make sense and it would be cool to see your fluffy list and reasons. My main opponent is a staunch dark elves player so my fluff list is pretty much meant to be a coast defender style list.

I thinking about changing up the heads on pheonix guard and modelling them to look like more generic elite high elves with a cothique paint job that I can make up fluff for. I was pretty happy with how my sea ranger/shore rangers came out and all I did was swap out shadow warrior heads with lothern skycutter crew heads.

I have seen a fair amount of Sea monster hunter ideas knocking around the forum, seems pretty cool.
Cothique Captain