Rally the banners! Yvresse stands resolute!

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Oberon

Re: Rally the banners! Yvresse stands resolute!

#31 Post by Oberon »

Nice. Really looks great. Makes me proud to be yvressian.
[b]True to the End.[/b]
[color=#80BF40]Prince Oberon, Hand of Tor Yvresse, Lord Admiral, Lord of Tor Lir[/color]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#32 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I love this map but it shows to much in the way of mountains, like where the Armis Kormalin is located, it's in the foothills of the Annulii Mountains, this map show the mountains going right to the sea almost...
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Code13

#33 Post by Code13 »

Different maps show different things, its actually a best amalgamation of all the available maps I could find (and there arent many!)

Besides, Yvress is a land of cliffs and mountains isnt it, maybe the mountains do go the the sea.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#34 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

It's described as a land of mists and shadows with water going right up to the thick forests which lead to the foothills of the annulii mountains.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Code13

#35 Post by Code13 »

It's got that in parts, just not all of it. Besides it's a representative map, not an ordannance survey map! Plus it's a hell of a lot of coast to have the same feature, doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, it's the best looking map I found so it fitted my criteria ;)

EDIT: in fact, looking at the map it's exactly as per that description! Sea, forest to the foothills, mountains.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#36 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Are you suggesting that the first row of mountains are the foothills and the space between the mountain range?
Code13

#37 Post by Code13 »

No, what I am suggesting is that there are large swathes of the Yvressi coast that have woodland leading to mountains, rather than the mountains being up to the coast.

Looking at the coast by Ar Yvrellion (which I assume you are concerned with) then the coast is wooded, leading up to the mountains (though given the maps lack of accurate detail they could be presented as foothills I suppose)

Your description doesnt detail how far the forests go, or how far the foothills are from the mountains (meaning they could literally encompass the first few miles of mountains as they rose up)

Personally I'd suggest the foothills arent marked specifically on the map...

That said, this is a map for me to use, if you dont like it, dont use it. I didnt draw it, all I did was put places on it.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#38 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I just spent the better part of half an hour in photoshop trying to overlay the fancy art map you like, with the one with borders and crap I like. They aren't the same! It took an awful lot of transforming and it still doesn't quite fit ^_^'
Code13

#39 Post by Code13 »

I know, thats the problem lol

Ultimately I came to the "artistic" decision that the maps are mainly representative at best, so accuracy is less important than form, so went for the fancy map

I guess, both have their place though, one fancy and artistic and another more geo-politically accurate, just dont expect them to agree too much!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#40 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I love the artistic map, but I like the borders and stuff on the map I'm using, if only they would join together well, overlaying just doesn't work well enough, I also have a coloured map that nice but it's horrible small ^_^'
Last edited by Elessehta of Yvresse on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Code13

#41 Post by Code13 »

Both work for me to be honest, for different reasons.
Oberon

#42 Post by Oberon »

Hmmm, I could see the shrine situated exactly where it is. House Meliane seems to be one of the most ancient houses in Yvresse, stands to reason they would also have been leaders religiously as well.

I appreciate both maps. A little inconsistency is fine. Magic isn't necessarily as accurate as surveyor satellites. Even High Elves still need to rely on foot surveyors and explorers to map the world. Not to mention that Ulthuan seems to be ever changing.
[b]True to the End.[/b]
[color=#80BF40]Prince Oberon, Hand of Tor Yvresse, Lord Admiral, Lord of Tor Lir[/color]
Oberon

#43 Post by Oberon »

What is the significance of the dark isle?
[b]True to the End.[/b]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#44 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The map appears to have been fan edited, I believe that had a army based in Saphery, I deleted all I could to make the map more neat, looks like I missed that small island. I might get rid of it tomorrow when i clean up the rest of the continent.
Code13

#45 Post by Code13 »

Having trawled for all the maps I could find of Ulthuan, there is so little information on the place we kinda have free reign to do what we want with it - and I thinks its going to be VERY unlikely that we will ever be contradicted by GW.
Oberon

#46 Post by Oberon »

Hmmm, something very bad must have happened there. Something during the time of the reigns of th Meliane Wardens?
[b]True to the End.[/b]
Code13

#47 Post by Code13 »

Nothing to do with us...
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#48 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Oberon wrote:Hmmm, something very bad must have happened there. Something during the time of the reigns of th Meliane Wardens?
Well played Sir =P
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#49 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Updated! I talked with Asurion, got the real location of the temple ^_^

I added a couple of extra places as well, like the ruins of Athel Tamarha
xanshep

#50 Post by xanshep »

Code13 wrote:pompous Caledorians.
Hey! Tell that to my dragon. :twisted:
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#51 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I'm clearly holding the banner of Yvresse, it seems Oberon has been busy, maybe he got that PMC job.
My 1st unique Yvressii unit is almost finished, the Paladins of the Storm God are going to be awesome.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#52 Post by Elithmar »

This thread needs a little more life in it. I'm sorry to say it Ele, but it's kinda...dead. Maybe cast a boosted version of Regrowth?
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#53 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yvresse is a quiet place, all my mages are high mages, with their focus' split between the heavens, shadow, and beasts.
Last edited by Elessehta of Yvresse on Wed May 09, 2012 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Code13

#54 Post by Code13 »

We Yvressians aren't so insecure as the Caledorians, we don't need to convince ourselves we are brave and resolute defenders of Ulthuan, keeping the Asur safe in the front lines of the eternal war.

We are no soft, pampered, inner kingdom - ever in need of puffing our chests in the face of the exploits of our neighbours.

No, like the cliffs of our lands we are forbidding, silent and resolute
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#55 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Well played Sir.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#56 Post by Prince of Spires »

Code13 wrote:We Yvressians aren't so insecure as the Caledorians, we don't need to convince ourselves we are brave and resolute defenders of Ulthuan, keeping the Asur safe in the front lines of the eternal war.

We are no soft, pampered, inner kingdom - ever in need of puffing our chests in the face of the exploits of our neighbours.

No, like the cliffs of our lands we are forbidding, silent and resolute
Either that or a goblin stole your keyboard ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Code13

#57 Post by Code13 »

Be thankful that's all he took, do you think those perfumed princes in their inner kingdoms could, or would, make the sacrifices of the citizens of Tor Yvresse made?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#58 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Rod hails from a colony, he's only heard stories of Grom's Invasion, don't be too hard on him.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#59 Post by Aicanor »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Rod hails from a colony, he's only heard stories of Grom's Invasion, don't be too hard on him.
In the colonies they eat Goblins for breakfast. Quite gruesome if you ask me.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#60 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I like some greens in my lunch but that's taking it too far!