Tar-Eltharin Dictionary

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

~Milliardo~

Re: Tar-Eltharin Dictionary

#31 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

I've swear I've heard elves from Saphery called Sapherians... and Chracians... Chracii sounds weird. :3

I think part of the whole 'contradictory' thing comes from the fact the game was written originally in English - one of the silliest, most confusing and contradictory languages on the planet. :3
Senthuil

#32 Post by Senthuil »

Giladis wrote:
Then again the people of Nagarythe are Nagarothi.
I've heard both being used; http://whfb.lexicanum.de/wiki/Schattenkrieger although Nagarothi is the form we see in Shadow King.

And yes, Millardo, those from Chrace, Ellyrion, Saphery, and Caledor (off the top of my head) have "ians" as you mention, to signify their realm of origin.

It does make this tricky!
Last edited by Senthuil on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[color=#400000][i]"Show the Druchii no mercy, for they would offer you none!"[/i][/color]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#33 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I stole yvressi from Headshot, he's an amazing story teller and quite the wordsmith ^_^
Someone should pm him, he might be interested in this topic.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Code13

#34 Post by Code13 »

My personal rule of thumb is if it sounds right, it probably is..
Tor

#35 Post by Tor »

Athel Loren is described as “Wood of the Dawning of the World” in an old WFB Wood Elf supplement....

I would go for Loren being forest and the Laurelorn as a human word derived from the Elvish Loren, if Athel can be sourced as meaning something along the lines of nobel you'll be sorted. It would link with cities with the term and fit nice with Athel Loren being the home of the King and Queen of the forest for the Wood Elves.

Edit: I believe that Athel is either Old or Middle English for noble.
Psykie

#36 Post by Psykie »

Greetings all,

My name is Ben (although I go by the name of Psykie on almost all forums I frequent, etc) and I have been GMing WFRP for several years and been involved in the tabletop games of 40k and WFB for a hell of a lot longer than that!

Anyway, I am in the process (over the next few weeks I will be on break from Uni, so I will have time) of making an Eltharin language for my group to use in snippets during play or in their journal entries, etc etc. As such, I have been looking around for something like this to get me started.

I have been studying linguistics for over 5 years now, and have been conlanging for nearly that long as well (making constructed languages). Whilst I don’t have any major work done yet, I was thinking of making the language highly ideographic (similar to Japanese Kanji) as the language is often described as being made of a set of runes that are not logical to the human mind. As such, I was considering making the High Runes act as conceptual guides to the meaning of a sentence or word (not sure on the morphological structure of the sentences yet) and the Lesser Runes as a guide to pronunciation and in-depth meaning/suffixes, etc. For example, the word Druchii would be made of one of two major runes “Dark” “Kin/Elf”, etc, and a minor rune meaning “plural collective group”. Something like this. But I am looking at making the runes highly context based, so that it is more of a matter of feeling the meaning of a sentence and loosely translating, instead of it simply being a cipher of English.

That is, however, a side point to what I am actually trying to say here, oddly enough. I came across your word list and thought I should add the phrase “te tuin” to it. This appears through Gilead’s Blood by Dan Abnett, and it seems to be a honorary or marker of respect when addressing someone. For example “Gilead te tuin”, is said to the main character, a prince. Further, the word “Tor” is used to mean “Tower” in this book… However, I believe it would make sense to mean anything from city to home… It seems to merely be a way of saying a constructed place where people live.

I will post more as I find more/make more!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#37 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

We welcome anything you can add to the language, anything official would be awesome, but things you expand on could be added to. On the subject of 'Tor', doesn't the difference between tor and ar make that not work? There's also the thing where some elves call their home/castle athel.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Talifan

#38 Post by Talifan »

This is a great idea!
[color=#FF0080]Live and Fight with Honour, for We are the Most Noble[/color]
[color=#0000FF]2012 Games - (W/L/D) 49-1-0[/color]
[img]http://mawhammer.yolasite.com/resources/Gem1.JPG[/img]
Lord Whitestar's Leviathan Company Champion.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=38785]Blog[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000297179244]Facebook for Talifan[/url]
[quote="Aicanor"]Yes, Sapherian princes are an evil bunch.[/quote]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#39 Post by Elithmar »

Senthuil wrote:From what I have been able to gauge, an "ii" at the end of a word signifies it is plural. For example Nagarythi and Druchi show an elf is of a certain race. Add a second i to show there are several of them. This can't be proven though.
Some Latin words are a bit like this.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
slothqueen

#40 Post by slothqueen »

Last times I wonder, how is simply "elf" in Eltharin. And I don't think of Asur, Asrai etc, I'm talking about a name of creature which humans call "an elf". I guess it's something like "eldar", or "elthar" (Eltharin sounds nearly like Eldarish :>), but maybe someone knows it for sure...
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#41 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Elves don't call themselves elves, that's a human name for them I think. To them they are simply the people.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#42 Post by Aicanor »

Talking about Tolkien's elvish, in Quenya variant (high elven language) it would be Elda for one elf, Eldar is plural (meaning 'people of the stars'). Word for elvish man is ellon, elleth for woman. Human would be fíriar (pl.) meaning "mortals". or Atani (the Second).
Elves would call themselves also Quendi (those who can speak*).

We have not so many names for Warhammer Elves, although the inspiration is apparent. So it is Asur as "people (children) of Asuryan" with Asrai probably meaning originally the same. But given history should they not call themselves 'people of Isha'? :mrgreen:
slothqueen

#43 Post by slothqueen »

I don't believe that elves don't have a name for their own species. For sure they have a name for mankind, for dwarves, and for themselves also - something above the division on Asur, Asrai and Druchii, because these words are names for nations, not races. Something they could call as well themselves as their dark kin.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#44 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

All were once Asur, the Druchii earned their nickname, not sure about the Asrai, it's certainly not a curse at them, but I like Aicanor's answer.
slothqueen

#45 Post by slothqueen »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:All were once Asur, the Druchii earned their nickname, not sure about the Asrai, it's certainly not a curse at them, but I like Aicanor's answer.
Yes, Druchii were banned from the nation of Asur, like Asrai somehow, and they gained their own name as a separate nation, but I bet they still consider Asur as "kindred", the same creature. Come on, Druchii and Asur aren't that deep in hating each other, that they consider themself other species.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#46 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

We gave the dark ones their name, the Asrai took that name for themselves, presumably to show that they turned their backs to asuryan, they might think he turned his back on them actually...
Aicanor
Rainbows

#47 Post by Aicanor »

It may also be that Asuryan is named after Asur, as it would make more sense ethymologically. Could mean something like'god' or 'father' of Asur. Asrai might just be a different dialect meaning the same as Asur. But as Elessehta says it is not the meaning of that name.... I do not know. Did they really denounce Asuryan as their God? I do not think they went so far.
But Druchii surely did, so are no longer part of the people as defined by their creator god. I am not sure High Elves want a common name with Druchii. They may of course have a name for all elves, but we do not know it. The only thing we have is the Tar Eltharin, which is supposed to mean High Elvish. So perhaps something like Elthar. But of course, Dark Elves have Druhir. So no common name to find in this direction either...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#48 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aicanor wrote:Talking about Tolkien's elvish, in Quenya variant (high elven language) it would be Elda for one elf, Eldar is plural (meaning 'people of the stars'). Word for elvish man is ellon, elleth for woman. Human would be fíriar (pl.) meaning "mortals". or Atani (the Second).
Elves would call themselves also Quendi (those who can speak*).
The more generic word for Elves would be Quendi. Eldar are only those elves who traveled to the west during the times of the trees (and later returned to middle earth). So the Eldar are a sub-set of the elves, comparable to (and probably part of the origin of) Warhammers High Elves, though with very different origins.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#49 Post by Aicanor »

That is a question, isn't it? The name Quendi certainly applies to all elves. The genesis of elven kindreds and languages is somewhat complicated. Eldar in the meaning of "star folk" were probably all Elves, named so by Orome. But after that it was only those who traveled to the west of Beleriand and beyond, leaving Moriquendi, "the dark elves", behind. So Eldar seem to consist of Vanyar, Noldor and Teleri who lived in Valinor, and also Sindar (grey elves) and perhaps even Laiquendi (green elves).
It can be easily be made even more complicated. But let us just leave out the Dark Elves as usual and we are good. ;)