Greetings from the Undead of Carpe Noctem

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Disciple of Nagash

Greetings from the Undead of Carpe Noctem

#1 Post by Disciple of Nagash »

Greetings treehuggers...nope...wrong type.....ah...sadistic S&M...nope....ah...you're the snooty ones!

I bring good tidings and greetings from Carpe Noctem - www.vampirecounts.net

Before the End Times, our dark crypt and this site had a partnership, allowing the exchange of announcements and news. I am pleased to see this forum survived those turbulent times! Carpe Noctem did go quiet for a while, but you know what we're like. You think us really dead this time and then we always pop up like a bad pfennig!

Carpe Noctems is being resurrected, already we've updated our forum software to better compete with the likes of social media, and we've got some activities going on. As part of that, we'd like to reach out and offer our claws..ah, hand in partnership and re-enable our previous agreements if the admins here are so willing?

I'm also pleased to announce CN's expansion to include our Tomb King cousins. As Khemri seems to have gone for a long sleep under the sands, Carpe Noctem is a site for all things undead; Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings for WHFB, all Alliance of Death armies in AoS.

As you are, we once were, as we are, you will be! (We think. Possibly. We're not sure with elves...)

DoN
[img]http://www.vampirecounts.net/images/CN_banner2.jpg[/img]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Greetings from the Undead of Carpe Noctem

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Disciple of Nagash wrote:Greetings treehuggers...nope...wrong type.....ah...sadistic S&M...nope....ah...you're the snooty ones!
Well met, foul fiend.

:)
Disciple of Nagash wrote:Carpe Noctems is being resurrected, already we've updated our forum software to better compete with the likes of social media, and we've got some activities going on.
Splendid!
Disciple of Nagash wrote:As part of that, we'd like to reach out and offer our claws..ah, hand in partnership and re-enable our previous agreements if the admins here are so willing?
I'm sure Prince of Spires will be along presently.
Disciple of Nagash

#3 Post by Disciple of Nagash »

Foul fiend?! I'll have you know I am the finest of fiends! :twisted:

Excellent I 'll forward to drinking...meeting with this Prince
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

Disciple of Nagash wrote: Excellent I 'll forward to drinking...meeting with this Prince
Just say his name often enough and he appears ;)

And I'll gladly take your hand in friendship, although I understand that with undead you have to be careful with actually shaking said hand, since bits might fall off...

It's great to hear that you're still around. Too few forums are still active. What forum software did you go to and how did your upgrade path look like? And did you manage to save old posts? We're thinking that we should upgrade our software (since there's too much duct-tape going around holding the site together...).
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Disciple of Nagash

#5 Post by Disciple of Nagash »

Excellent to have an accord! We also have one with Lustria Online and I'm currently reaching out to other sites, so it would be good to come together and share with each other.

Both Lustria Online (which hasn't just survived, they are busy in there!) and CN uses XenForo. It's a really good professional forum software, loads of addons, theme options etc. Upgrade path was ok for us, they are lots of migration options and we retained all our old posts and so on.

I'd be happy to lend a hand if you'd like having done this a few times now? Let me know if you'd like a chat :D
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the information. I had a quick look around. I found XenForo for $160 per license. Is that the one you're using or is there a free (or cheaper) license I missed. As I mentioned, I do think we should upgrade to some better software at some point, so it's nice to know which options there are.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Disciple of Nagash

#7 Post by Disciple of Nagash »

It is unfortunately that amount due to how good the software is - there isn't a free version.

The alternative I'm discussing with some of the other old forums is possibly if I can support their forum on my setup. I'm a bit nostalgic for the old forums, so I pay for CN's software and a decent virtual private server with which has loads of space and dedicated tech support.

We could look at potentially "sectioning" my platform, so it uses one XF license and my VPS, but still applying a theme, sections etc and even still utilising your domain name via a redirect.

The benefit is that all the forum and technical stuff/costs are covered by me, you guys would still be staff and look after your section, we just be a bit of a team. We should also be able to maintain and keep your old posts.

Downside I suppose is whether you think the above stuff outweighs still being totally independent!
SeanWilson

#8 Post by SeanWilson »

Disciple of Nagash wrote:Foul fiend?! I'll have you know I am the finest of fiends! :twisted:

Excellent I 'll forward to drinking...meeting with this Prince
Let's have a drink, my friend!!
Last edited by SeanWilson on Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

Disciple of Nagash wrote:It is unfortunately that amount due to how good the software is - there isn't a free version.

The alternative I'm discussing with some of the other old forums is possibly if I can support their forum on my setup. I'm a bit nostalgic for the old forums, so I pay for CN's software and a decent virtual private server with which has loads of space and dedicated tech support.

We could look at potentially "sectioning" my platform, so it uses one XF license and my VPS, but still applying a theme, sections etc and even still utilising your domain name via a redirect.

The benefit is that all the forum and technical stuff/costs are covered by me, you guys would still be staff and look after your section, we just be a bit of a team. We should also be able to maintain and keep your old posts.

Downside I suppose is whether you think the above stuff outweighs still being totally independent!
Thanks for the information. In the end, 160 for a lifetime licence also isn't all that much, and I can see it being worth the money. We'll take it into consideration if we decide to move to a different forum platform.

Check out my plog