On GW and D&D

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

On GW and D&D

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

Some interesting history and speculation which Kispal of this forum alerted me to, channel is Dungeoncraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv3bL8VBx8Y
MasterOfNone

Re: On GW and D&D

#2 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote:Some interesting history and speculation which Kispal of this forum alerted me to, channel is Dungeoncraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv3bL8VBx8Y
Interesting.
Also a bit nostalgic, when I was a kid I played all those RPG's except D&D first edition - I started playing in 1984.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote:Also a bit nostalgic, when I was a kid I played all those RPG's except D&D first edition - I started playing in 1984.
I'm of a similar vintage. Seems like another world when TSR were the big players.
Musashi

#4 Post by Musashi »

As Games Workshop is by now well aware, intellectual property is now almost everything.

Due to the current pandemic, and possibly due to rather an already developing trend, American production houses have discovered animation is actually easier, despite being more expensive, seeing the success of Japanese anime and manga almost completely eclipsing everything else in this field.

Hasbro is trying to monetize their intellectual properties, including a shared universe of Transformers, Gee Eye Joe, He Man, and possibly My Little Pony.

And one thing Dungeons and Dragons have, is a lot of literature, plus existing settings.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#5 Post by Seredain »

Hi all!

GW shares have been on the up for some time but honestly I’d be astonished to see them cornering the market in MtG and D&D as well! If they manage it they’ll be the Google of fantasy IP.

Perhaps it’s academic when literally all the Pathfinder games I play use GW models in any case.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
MasterOfNone

#6 Post by MasterOfNone »

Seredain wrote:Hi all!

GW shares have been on the up for some time but honestly I’d be astonished to see them cornering the market in MtG and D&D as well! If they manage it they’ll be the Google of fantasy IP.

Perhaps it’s academic when literally all the Pathfinder games I play use GW models in any case.
Hi Seredain,
I wasn't really expecting to see you around, this is a nice surprise.
You don't know me because I have joined long after you stopped playing, but I have read with interest your cavalry prince battle reports.
Does your return mean that you have found again an interest to discuss and play WHFB? Let's hope so.

Cheers
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

I noticed this as well. I should have bought some shares a couple of years ago. They're doing quite well as a company. And they're the go-to company if you need miniatures. Perhaps that's a side benefit for them from age of Sigmar. Those models are a bit more individual and flashy compared to some of the more boring rank and file models of warhammer.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#8 Post by Seredain »

MasterOfNone wrote:

Hi Seredain,
I wasn't really expecting to see you around, this is a nice surprise.
You don't know me because I have joined long after you stopped playing, but I have read with interest your cavalry prince battle reports.
Does your return mean that you have found again an interest to discuss and play WHFB? Let's hope so.

Cheers
MasterOfNone nice of you to say so! After a house move and close to 3 years of renovation work I finally got to unpack my models and put them in their own cabinet, instead of boxes. Then I popped on here and was delighted to see the flame burning. I’m just catching up with SpellArcher on the state of 8thEd and whether the Old World will do the job we want. I don’t have a gaming club as such any more nor know anyone who plays in my area, but my army is still here so never say never! I didn’t get enough opportunities to play my final list so I wouldn’t mind another crack with it. In the meantime, I’ve been enjoying Total Warhammer. They did a fine job there, even if cavalry princes suck.

Prince, I’d buy shares anyway! 40K has Darktide coming and Warhammer 3 will have daemons (awesome) and Cathay in it. That’s a lot of new customers looking looking for Warhammer: China... With Blizzard currently in the toilet, I wouldn’t bet against GW flexing over the next few years.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

Seredain wrote: Prince, I’d buy shares anyway! 40K has Darktide coming and Warhammer 3 will have daemons (awesome) and Cathay in it. That’s a lot of new customers looking looking for Warhammer: China... With Blizzard currently in the toilet, I wouldn’t bet against GW flexing over the next few years.
Good points. In general I don't mind investing in a monopolist who's still expanding his market and reach. They tend to do well. I'll give it some more thought. :)

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Flame of the Asuryan

#10 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

Prince of Spires wrote:

I noticed this as well. I should have bought some shares a couple of years ago. They're doing quite well as a company. And they're the go-to company if you need miniatures. Perhaps that's a side benefit for them from age of Sigmar. Those models are a bit more individual and flashy compared to some of the more boring rank and file models of warhammer.
Interesting, the "boringness" of the models in early 2000s is what attracted me the most. I had and still have no interest in these over the top fantasy figures. But that's just me :D .
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

Flame of the Asuryan wrote: Interesting, the "boringness" of the models in early 2000s is what attracted me the most. I had and still have no interest in these over the top fantasy figures. But that's just me .
I'm somewhere in the middle. I like the 'boringness' of the more recent models, like the PG or WL. They're rank & file, but they've got some dynamic poses and interesting bits going on. Painting 30 spearmen or archers was not my thing.

But what I meant was that because the new "cool" models are much more individual they are a lot more suited for use in other games then just WH. I can't really imagine someone rushing out to buy a box or archers to use them in a game of D&D, but I can see someone do so with some of the newer models. Though the funny thing is that with GW aiming for more original models they can protect with IP stuff, they might make it harder to do so. There's always room for an elf or a dwarf, but I'm not sure many D&D games have features Aelfs flying on a shark...

Rod

Check out my plog