RIP Christopher Tolkien

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

RIP Christopher Tolkien

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: RIP Christopher Tolkien

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I have to say I agree with what he says in those last couple paragraphs completely.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm not sure. I think the LoTR movies, though they have their flaws, were really well done. I think they opened up Tolkien's work to a new generation and ensured the ongoing popularity of the works.

The hobbit movies on the other hand, they are a completely different beast. They were a rushed money grab that didn't get anywhere near the book and were just bad as a movie.

I'm grateful that Christopher Tolkien took it on himself to publish the Silmarillion and all the other posthumous works. They're a great read and provide an extra window in to middle earth that would otherwise not exist.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

I guess we probably won’t get any more books. The translation of Beowulf in particular is something I feel like I should read. It’s such a primal text that echoes down the ages, not just in Tolkien’s work but even in authors like JK Rowling. I enjoyed the films without being completely blown away. Parts left me cold, parts were awesome. If nothing else, I agree that The Silmarillion leaves a lot of us not just in the elder Tolkien’s debt but also in Christopher’s.