Open Day new Teclis and new Elves teaser

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Olthannon

Re: Open Day new Teclis and new Elves teaser

#31 Post by Olthannon »

wamphyri101 wrote:Probably, as there is Tyrion's side of the army still to be shown at Adepticon
Shows how little I know about current fantasy AoS I didn't even know Turion was still kicking!

Also Darkness, great film Tim Curry man!
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#32 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote:Also Darkness, great film Tim Curry man!
Just a shame he didn’t do it in ladies’ underwear.

:wink:
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#33 Post by Elithmar »

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... -releases/

I suppose this pushes back the new ‘aelves’ release perhaps to the third quarter.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Pavisel

#34 Post by Pavisel »

Well, I don’t know if the links will work. Pics of more new Aelf Lumineth models, part of the ‘stone’ sect. Avatar of stone that is all white is the standard model, the one with double hammers is a special character. Posted from Warhammer Community, the Aelves are the second part reviewed. Some cool new background/fluff in there too.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0PBmv7u ... YSO5FbhvgA

https://share.icloud.com/photos/08aObUl ... Y-lEY__gkw
That's Bradical

#35 Post by That's Bradical »

The new stuff unveiled today is absolutely awful. Hammer aelves, and ugly half mountain/ half bull creatures. I might pick up some of the cavalry, but the aesthetics and lore of age of sigmar just aren't my bag. I really hope they go back to the old style when they finally release the old world stuff.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#36 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Continues the trend where I dislike the big stuff, but see some potential in the small stuff. Though I like these less than the small stuff we had already seen.
Olthannon

#37 Post by Olthannon »

Thought I'd pop these up just for ease of viewing.

Easily dislike these the most I think because they are the most removed from the older elves. The lines and design here are the most 40k looking, which I think is what I don't like the most. Also looks like you're being attacked by a giant bonsai garden?

And these stupid goddamn hats - one person designed that and it looks like they all jumped on that bandwagon.

Why warhammers and mountains? Have we become the dwarves now?
One foot in the hobby
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#38 Post by Galharen »

No no no no! :(
Cows? really? I really dont like the idea.

I like however the new infantry, maybe apart those hammerer's helmets.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#39 Post by Prince of Spires »

Now now, nothing wrong with the giant cows with mountains on their back. If you combine 4 of them with the flying turtle you can make a nice discworld display (using them as stand-in elephants)...

#-o

I think if they had dropped the silliness from the cow models then they would have been decent. Not my kind of model (who plays fantasy because of cows...), but decent.

As for the hammerer models, the headpieces are just wrong. Both from an aesthetics point of view (for me) but also from a practical point of view. They look very top heavy. Which would make them utterly useless in any sort of fight where you had to move fast. You'd just fall over if you leaned too far to the side. Also, there's something about the hammers that looks artificial. Don't know, but the round shape just looks off somehow.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Giladis
The Merlord

#40 Post by Giladis »

The Battle Cattle of Asuryan!!!

This makes me feel like Ulthuan is sinking beneath the waves all over again :?
RE.Lee

#41 Post by RE.Lee »

Prince of Spires wrote: Also, there's something about the hammers that looks artificial. Don't know, but the round shape just looks off somehow.
Its because they look like Pringles tubes.

The battle-cows are audacious sculpts, though hardly to my taste. The infantry bodies are nice - cutting off the tops of helmets and replacing the hammers with some khopesh-like weapons could work.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Olthannon

#42 Post by Olthannon »

I'm assuming if we have Mountain/ Earth whatever we are getting the other elements too? Air giving us eagles and such, water for some sort of seaguard and maybe fire with dragons?
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#43 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote: Also, there's something about the hammers that looks artificial. Don't know, but the round shape just looks off somehow.
Its because they look like Pringles tubes.
I knew I'd seen them somewhere... :s :D

To be fair, although cows aren't the most exciting of creatures, they are fairly common in mythology. There's of course the sacred cows in India. But in viking mythology there's an ancient galactic cow as well. Greek mythology features bulls, mainly as sacrifice, but there's also the bull who fathered the Minotaur. So at least there's plenty of precedent for cows....

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#44 Post by Elithmar »

Prince of Spires wrote:As for the hammerer models, the headpieces are just wrong. Both from an aesthetics point of view (for me) but also from a practical point of view. They look very top heavy. Which would make them utterly useless in any sort of fight where you had to move fast. You'd just fall over if you leaned too far to the side.
:lol:

I suppose they imitate the mountains they apparently love so much and never move. Maybe they take a vow to stand still, like Phoenix Guards being silent. And the crazy helmets are to make sure they don’t break that vow!
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#45 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:bulls
The (bull) elephant in the room is of course Hashut, the Chaos Dwarf god. Pretty much diametrically opposed to High Elves I’d have said.
Olthannon

#46 Post by Olthannon »

Imagine the amount of neck pain you would be in with those bloody helmets on all the time.
One foot in the hobby
Giladis
The Merlord

#47 Post by Giladis »

Found the only thing that actually want from this release. The faction dice.
Icarion

#48 Post by Icarion »

Honestly, (and like some of you said) the helmets are ridiculous, but if some of the kits are made in a way that i can change the heads, i might be tempted to buy some:
1.) The Cavalry: By simply cutting away the crests, we might get nice silverhelmes
2.) Spearmen: By shaving them it´s a beautiful version of normal highelf spearmen
3.) Hammer-guys (last weeks preview): By changing the helmet they wont look that stupid and when we give them axe-heads instead of hammer-heads this might be a cool version of white lions (with a bit greenstuff-work to make pelts out of the cloaks... i already did that, it´s pretty easy even with my poor skills)? Personally i hope for a kit, where the arms are slightly movable, so it is possible to move the hands closer to each other, so they can be given swords, which would be beautiful Swordmasters?

For me it´s also a question how big the models are. If they are not THAT big when they have the crests on, one could change them into something better? My fists thought was, that if someone wants a caledor themed army, they could be replaced with these ones:
https://www.spellcrow.com/salamandra-dr ... p-300.html
(on case of the spearmen they should of course be glued in place like a mohawk)

The rest of the models... sorry, i wont buy.
Caledor for life!
Giladis
The Merlord

#49 Post by Giladis »

Those are 32mm bases for infantry.
Icarion

#50 Post by Icarion »

Giladis wrote:Those are 32mm bases for infantry.
ya sure? there´s a pic with skavens above, the bases dont look that big and i heard GW "invented" 28,5mm bases or something like that... to me it looks more like this cus as all the other (high)elves are on 25mm, it would be a bit too much if mere spearmen have such huge bases?
Caledor for life!
Giladis
The Merlord

#51 Post by Giladis »

Quite. Just look how much base surface 8th ed models cover on 20mm bases as well as their quite narrower stances, then compare them to the new ones. Those bases not being 32mm would mean model scale has been reduced and I somehow don't see GW doing that when in every recent "elf" release the scale was consistent with late 8th ed scale.
Icarion

#52 Post by Icarion »

well... then, so be it! ;)
I just hope they release the stuff a bit faster cus i would like to have hard facts before starting to do stuff, so i dont have to re-do it again!

Larger bases have one positive thing: You can convert all kind of stuff and decorate the hell out of it! :D
You have no idea how i thanked Khorne, when GW made Bloodletters on 32mm bases! This was probably the best moment in my hobby-life cus i could make my selfmade "Muscleletters" now stand on official bases, without them falling down all the time, cus the model was too big for the base?
Why muscleletters? The 2nd edition bloodletters were bigger and - as the name suggests - with more muscles, so my version is bloodletters, all converted from the Skullreaper/Wrathmonger-Kit. I know, it´s expensive AF compared to the normal bloodletters and a hell of painting with all the trims on their armour, but i tell ja, it´s worth it!
I already have one unit (10 models) built and painted, a second one built and the third one already on my pile of shame.
Caledor for life!
Giladis
The Merlord

#53 Post by Giladis »

I don't do round bases so that is an issue for me.
Icarion

#54 Post by Icarion »

if your gaming group also doesnt use round bases there´s no issue ;)
Caledor for life!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#55 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Unless the minis don't fit on the base, which, I assume, is the cause for his concern.
Vermis

#56 Post by Vermis »

The basic stuff I quite like. I had gathered a bunch of bits to kitbash maiden guard for a small Avelorn band, but then quit the hobby for a while and didn't do much with them. Coming back, and looking at these, I think I might start over and use the cav, spears and archers as MG in different roles. (Using existing Sisters of Avelorn as lighter, skirmishing archers) I think I could handwave the design differences as being MG-specific, a bit like those Caledorians in their spiky dragon armour. :P
That said, some of those bow strings are definitely getting snipped, probably archer heads replaced, maybe shield swaps on the others.

Not totally convinced by Teclis, mostly because of the huge amount of space taken up by his buddy and their portable mountain of rubble. The sphinx would be great as a griffon if you could find a decent eagle head to graft onto it. As it is, I think I'd like those wings for the gryph-charger I have, stowed away.

The hammerers... eh. I'd assume those massive horns are separate pieces, and there's hints that they come with alternate hammer heads that don't look so much like pringles tubes ( =D> ) but I'm not feeling a huge need for them. Good point in raising the possibility of Swordmaster or White Lion conversions, though for the latter I might sooner look at Shadow Warriors, Wildwood Rangers, or even Black Ark Corsairs. More work, but I assume considerably cheaper, if the hammerers end up at five for £30-40.

But I guess it'll be a while before we find out.

Mage, Eltharion, cow-giant... nope, interesting but nope, hilariously OTT but nope.
Icarion

#57 Post by Icarion »

Vermis wrote:The basic stuff I quite like. I had gathered a bunch of bits to kitbash maiden guard for a small Avelorn band, but then quit the hobby for a while and didn't do much with them. Coming back, and looking at these, I think I might start over and use the cav, spears and archers as MG in different roles. (Using existing Sisters of Avelorn as lighter, skirmishing archers)
i had also quite a pause, not being here for at least 2 years i guess... i have to admit i am a bit shocked by all the offtopic stuff, but ok...
Vermis wrote:I think I could handwave the design differences as being MG-specific, a bit like those Caledorians in their spiky dragon armour. :P
Just wait till you see the Caledorian Phoenix Guard i´ve planned... ;)

Vermis wrote:Not totally convinced by Teclis, mostly because of the huge amount of space taken up by his buddy and their portable mountain of rubble. The sphinx would be great as a griffon if you could find a decent eagle head to graft onto it. As it is, I think I'd like those wings for the gryph-charger I have, stowed away.
Lets be honest: Armies like highelves (or Eldar and Chaos Dwarves) are known for having a bit too much of a helmet-issue... ;)
But the new Teclis is probably the master of exaggerated helmets EVER.
Ok, the old Teclis model had a bit too much, too (yet it still looked cool, imho), but the new one? Ohboyohboy! :shock:
The "rubble" as you say it or that sphinxlike chickenbullhumanlion is replaceable, but what shocks me the most, is his face, which might prove difficult to change. It´s not that i totally dislike the model, which is at least spectacular, but i will have a hard time to think what to do with it to make me a) really like it and b) meanwhile changing not too much.
Vermis wrote:The hammerers... eh. I'd assume those massive horns are separate pieces, and there's hints that they come with alternate hammer heads that don't look so much like pringles tubes ( =D> )
i laughed so hard... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vermis wrote:but I'm not feeling a huge need for them. Good point in raising the possibility of Swordmaster or White Lion conversions, though for the latter I might sooner look at Shadow Warriors, Wildwood Rangers, or even Black Ark Corsairs. More work, but I assume considerably cheaper, if the hammerers end up at five for £30-40.
i just said i wanna redo them to Swordmasters cus i have already bought White Lions replacements (from a company called "Last Sword") that i am really happy with, so from the 3 elite infantry choices we have (Phoenix Guard, White Lions and Swordmasters) SMs are the last one where i have no proper replacement found. But for this, we´ll have to check the size of the new models first... and the worst thing will be selling my old models. :( :cry:
the easiest way would be to make them White Lions and just replace the hammerheads with axeheads plus some greenstuff to make the cloaks look like fur, but since when is the easiest way the best? ;)
The price might be pretty sick, 5 of them for 30-40£ will be hard, but if they really convince me... why not? (my bloodletters - price 20€ for 10 - are made of Skullreapers, which cost 45€ for 5, so it´s not that i wouldnt spend the money if i really like it)
i have 20 swords in my bitzbox from the Black Guard/Executioners box, so giving the unit kinda "bladestaffs" might also look cool, dont ya think?
Caledor for life!
Vermis

#58 Post by Vermis »

Icarion wrote: Just wait till you see the Caledorian Phoenix Guard i´ve planned... ;)
:D
Lets be honest: Armies like highelves (or Eldar and Chaos Dwarves) are known for having a bit too much of a helmet-issue... ;)
But the new Teclis is probably the master of exaggerated helmets EVER.
True, true. And if this was 2016 I'd be rolling my eyes like they were dice and I was trying to lose a fortune at a craps table. But while Teclis' helmet is way overblown, it doesn't irritate me as much as it would have. I think because, like the old HE, the weight of all that extraneous decoration appears to be centred around the base of the helmet. Compared to the new hammerers, where it looks like the slightest tip of that lever is going to send it spinning around the fulcrum.

If the hammerer horns were placed just a wee bit lower, over the brow, like a samurai crest, like Teclis? It'd be a vast improvement, IMO.
but what shocks me the most, is his face, which might prove difficult to change.
It looks like a standard, haughty, bad-smell expression. Can you point out specifics?
i just said i wanna redo them to Swordmasters cus i have already bought White Lions replacements (from a company called "Last Sword") that i am really happy with...
The price might be pretty sick, 5 of them for 30-40£ will be hard, but if they really convince me... why not? (my bloodletters - price 20€ for 10 - are made of Skullreapers, which cost 45€ for 5, so it´s not that i wouldnt spend the money if i really like it)
I'm the opposite - I'm a skinflint. I weigh up every extra penny I'd have to spend on alternate models, and I try to go plastic if I can. (Also partly because I'm paranoid about the fragility of resin) Mind you, that 'standard' flies out the window when we're talking about GW plastic, not to mention how much I'd spend with bits resellers for kitbashing plans. :lol:
i have 20 swords in my bitzbox from the Black Guard/Executioners box, so giving the unit kinda "bladestaffs" might also look cool, dont ya think?
Absolutely. In fact, I think it might better suit the fluff and one or two illustrations of SMs doing swooshy Jedi moves, than the stiffly regimented official minis with swords glued to their cheeks.

That's one of the things that eventually did my head in with Warhammer, and one of the handful of things I'll give AoS credit for: over the years the armies, block units and models got bigger and bigger, but the models were still treated individually and most still had to fit on a 20mm base. Got so that some of the newer, bigger models had to scrunch up or tesselate like floor tiles. With AoS, no matter the other flaws, all those 'every one an epic hero' minis had space to breathe.

(Me, for white lions, I think I've settled on gathering those PG halberds I got for the old maiden guard idea, and doing some serious grafting onto the Blood Bowl elf team. They've got the armour, they've got the dynamism, just need some lionskin cloaks, a few helmets, and about an inch of greenstuff)

((Also, point and laugh at the guy who scrounged up all the models and bits he needed for a Chrace-themed warband, except white lions...))
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#59 Post by Luna Guardian »

I actually quite like the spirit armor thingy, as well as the Silver Helms. The spears are a nice thing as well, but I am not a fan of the fan-helmets, although cut off the fan-bits and they're good. Love the fact that there are magical constructs, hate the fact that they are giant cows.

All in all, a mixed bag leaning on positive
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Olthannon

#60 Post by Olthannon »

New model apparently, plus some dark elves on the horizon. Must be a wee while before we get some Tyrion models. Looks completely average? More like an undead model to me.
One foot in the hobby