Warhammer: The Old World

All discussions related to Warhammer: The Old World go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: Warhammer: The Old World

#91 Post by Elithmar »

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... ammer-iii/

Another interesting update, both for the eventual tabletop game and Total War Warhammer III. So it looks like we're getting both Kislev and Cathay - the latter with dragons, terracotta monstrous infantry, and airships. They even mention writing 8th edition rules for the new units they were developing.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#92 Post by SpellArcher »

Elithmar wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:48 pm Another interesting update, both for the eventual tabletop game and Total War Warhammer III.
I agree Eli, very interesting. They don't appear to explicitly mention the upcoming tabletop game but it seems a no-brainer that they'd develop in tandem. Quite impressed with this Andy Hoare so far, let's see if he delivers!
Giladis
The Merlord

#93 Post by Giladis »

He is the guy behind 4th ed 40K. In my opinion the best 40K ed.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#94 Post by SpellArcher »

Giladis wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:51 pm4th ed 40K.
The last edition I played, good times.

:)
Giladis
The Merlord

#95 Post by Giladis »

That was the last edition I played seriously as well. The game has become such a mess since then that unless you are playing narratively it is pretty much pointless.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#96 Post by SpellArcher »

Giladis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:58 am That was the last edition I played seriously as well.
Which army did you play Giladis?
Giladis
The Merlord

#97 Post by Giladis »

Deathwing, Iyaden and Tyranids.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#98 Post by SpellArcher »

Giladis wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:11 am Deathwing, Iyaden and Tyranids.
That's a nice spread, in 4th I played Tau and (I'm afraid) Dark Eldar. Looks like we might be getting an interesting choice of forces in The Old World.
Giladis
The Merlord

#99 Post by Giladis »

4th ed DE was still the old '98 Codex right?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#100 Post by SpellArcher »

Giladis wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:11 pm 4th ed DE was still the old '98 Codex right?
It was indeed. I’m wondering whether Dark Elves will make the first batch of armies for TOW.
Olthannon

#101 Post by Olthannon »

I think perhaps not, but if you happened to see on the Border Princes map they released, right in the south corner there is a Scarab emblem, so that suggests some sneaky Tomb Kings.
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#102 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:13 pm I think perhaps not, but if you happened to see on the Border Princes map they released, right in the south corner there is a Scarab emblem, so that suggests some sneaky Tomb Kings.
I just wonder how they’re going to handle it. How many armies in the initial release and how fast they introduce others.
Olthannon

#103 Post by Olthannon »

Well, I figures when they said in that earlier article about it being 28mm and such, they said about wanting everyone to be able to use their old models. So I think there will be some releases, mainly of Empire and Bretonnians (?) but the lore will be there saying that other armies are there so go ahead and use them.
One foot in the hobby
Giladis
The Merlord

#104 Post by Giladis »

It is worth remembering when managing expectations GW's model-rules policy. GW doesn't produce rules for models they do not sell. Now think what that means for some of the old armies like High Elves.
TyrrenAzureblade

#105 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

I'm betting there'll be a Ravening Hordes type of supplement if not outright full Army Books at release for everything, although I would think that far less likely.
Morgen

#106 Post by Morgen »

It's still a ways off it seems like. I'm still thinking it might end up being sold like 30k is.
Olthannon

#107 Post by Olthannon »

I read an article recently (possibly BoLS?) that sounded about spot on. Won't get model previews till mid next year according to a leak. Stuff at the start will be more definitely Old World (dwarves, Bretonnians, Empire, Chaos etc) and then it won't be for a while before we start getting the more out there stuff like Cathay. I think nobody should be surprised by that because that's what we expect. But it's interesting to expect model previews next year.
One foot in the hobby
Morgen

#108 Post by Morgen »

Yeah. Bell of Lost Souls had this article with a lot of rumors that were posted on Faeit 212.

Rumors are saying 7th edition with influences from surrounding editions, which I've got no real problems with if that's true. Still years out it seems like either way.

(As an aside, always annoyed at people treating an addition/subtraction combat resolution system as if it was using integration or something. Calm down BoLS.)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#109 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like how we've gotten a leak about when we're going to see a leak about miniatures...

I'm moderately excited. I don't mind 7th edition and I didn't mind 8th edition. So picking the best of those will work for me. Aiming for a 9th edition type of game sounds good to me, especially if we skip flying shark mini's. Maybe (just maybe) we'll be heading in the direction I hoped AoS would take before it launched; that is we'd have WH for larger, army based battles and a skirmish sized game for smaller games. There's no reason they can't exist at the same time.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#110 Post by SpellArcher »

7th was a decent ruleset, the problem was the imbalanced army books.
Morgen

#111 Post by Morgen »

Well some imbalance is what makes it Warhammer.

Key word being /some/. Games can be over balanced. Not that I expect it from GW but I feel that strongly enough to at least bring it up.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#112 Post by SpellArcher »

Morgen wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:04 am Well some imbalance is what makes it Warhammer.
I agree up to a point Morgen. For example, many consider 8th not nearly balanced enough but I'm happy to play it out of the box. With 8th army books (and 6th) though, all are at least vaguely in the same ballpark, power wise. The same is not true of 7th, where Dark Elves and Daemons (and arguably VC) are streets ahead of the others.
Morgen

#113 Post by Morgen »

Oh absolutely. It's both entirely possible to go too far and obviously has on occasion. At the moment it seems like GW is intent on correcting those kinds of imbalances so if that would continue I think it'd likely turn out at least interesting.
Olthannon

#114 Post by Olthannon »

I think the trouble is we just don't know a thing, which of course works well for GW. Keep the hype train going folks. Choo choo!
One foot in the hobby
Nicanor

#115 Post by Nicanor »

Hype train only goes so far. Eventually you have to put something in that engine to burn other than hopes and speculation