Warhammer: The Old World

All discussions related to Warhammer: The Old World go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Giladis
The Merlord

Re: Warhammer: The Old World

#61 Post by Giladis »

Prince of Spires wrote:That places it at the start of Finubar's reign, about 100 years before the great chaos incursion. Enough stuff happening, and Finubar is active enough internationally to give HE a role in whatever they have planned.
True. That was supposed to be the period of the "great opening" when HE started returning to the Old World after basically centuries of being relegated to tales and legends.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#62 Post by SpellArcher »

Giladis wrote:That was supposed to be the period of the "great opening" when HE started returning to the Old World after basically centuries of being relegated to tales and legends.
So around the time of Finubar’s embassy to the Wood Elves?
Giladis
The Merlord

#63 Post by Giladis »

SpellArcher wrote:
Giladis wrote:That was supposed to be the period of the "great opening" when HE started returning to the Old World after basically centuries of being relegated to tales and legends.
So around the time of Finubar’s embassy to the Wood Elves?
Slightly later. Finubar was in the Old World from 2002 till 2052.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#64 Post by SpellArcher »

Giladis wrote:Finubar was in the Old World from 2002 till 2052.
Nice bit of recent history for them to work with.

:)
Giladis
The Merlord

#65 Post by Giladis »

SpellArcher wrote:
Giladis wrote:Finubar was in the Old World from 2002 till 2052.
Nice bit of recent history for them to work with.

:)
Though the HE mage that helped defend Marienburg from Manfred would be even more recent thing and a perfect opportunity to flesh out an otherwise little known character.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#66 Post by Prince of Spires »

It is interesting that it places the events 100 years before the great Chaos invasion. It gives plenty of space for them to advance the timeline several times until they get to that of course. And they can still have models and rules for Chaos stuff. But it should put a lot heavier focus on non-chaos models.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Olthannon

#67 Post by Olthannon »

I actually like the idea of perhaps chaos being more of cultists at the heart of the empire rather than a threat from the northern wastes.

Perhaps they'll be updating the lore slightly to fit with the new outposts we have situated in the old world.
One foot in the hobby
Giladis
The Merlord

#68 Post by Giladis »

Based on some hints I am getting the scale of the game will be quite different from the WHFB. Both in less miniatures needed to play and the size of miniatures. As far as mini sizes go Warhammer Quest should be a good indicator.
Aerendar Valandil

#69 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

What is the size of WHQ?
Giladis
The Merlord

#70 Post by Giladis »

Aerendar Valandil wrote:What is the size of WHQ?
https://ageofsigmar.com/wp-content/uplo ... 5x1024.png

That is a 32 mm base
Olthannon

#71 Post by Olthannon »

Less minis needed is perfect, the biggest mistake they did with 8th in particular was forcing larger and larger units into play. Not a good way of getting in new players by forcing them to pay out more money. A reduction in size to skirmish battles makes perfect sense.

I wouldn't mind building a little Bretonnian questing force when these new minis come out.
One foot in the hobby
Giladis
The Merlord

#72 Post by Giladis »

Olthannon wrote: the biggest mistake they did with 8th in particular was forcing larger and larger units into play
I don't think that was actually true. Outside a few specific units size changes like TK and VC Skeletons there weren't that many units that had a drastic change. The overall model count for armies remained largely the same since 6th ed. In my experience the main drive behind army growth were tournaments which steadily moved from 2000 to 2500 pts over the course of roughly a decade.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#73 Post by Prince of Spires »

Giladis wrote:
Olthannon wrote: the biggest mistake they did with 8th in particular was forcing larger and larger units into play
I don't think that was actually true. Outside a few specific units size changes like TK and VC Skeletons there weren't that many units that had a drastic change. The overall model count for armies remained largely the same since 6th ed. In my experience the main drive behind army growth were tournaments which steadily moved from 2000 to 2500 pts over the course of roughly a decade.
I think they didn't really intend to increase the army size. But they sort of did. And the main reason I think was the % system. People wanted to bring their big models, and those only really fit in 2400-2500 pts games. So, more and more tournaments went there points wise and that sort of became the default.

I have also felt that there was a big difference between how the game designers played and viewed the game and how a lot of players did. Reading the White Dwarf battle reports and descriptions of how they viewed hte armies they had designed. They didn't design or play tournament armies. They thought about what's cool and fluffy and how can we make a great narative of that. And 1000pts battles made perfect sense in such a setting. Not so much when playing a tournament game where you tried to bring your toughest list.

The problem for me is that I would love to play such fluffy, story driven games. But with a game a month, that's just not really possible. It is what I like about mordheim. It's maybe not the best or most balanced game. But it's short enough that you can easily finish one in an evening and you might get two if you hurry up a bit. It already has some narrative built in. It's also one of the reasons why I would like to give the LotR game a try. except that I would need more time and an opponent...

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Giladis
The Merlord

#74 Post by Giladis »

Prince of Spires wrote:I have also felt that there was a big difference between how the game designers played and viewed the game and how a lot of players did.
Since I have spent time on the inside of the process I can confirm your feeling. I will never forget the question "Why should I spend maximum magic point on my general? He is mounted and has plate armour that is protection enough."

Btw those Kislev ice guard girls just got featured in the Total War: Warhammer III trailer.
Olthannon

#75 Post by Olthannon »

Yeah if you check out warcom they just mentioned the fact that their art for T:OW was fed directly to CA for the Kislev designs, which is absolutely zero surprise.

The fact that Cathay are in Total War 3 is incredible, I'm fascinated to see what happens with that.
One foot in the hobby
Giladis
The Merlord

#76 Post by Giladis »

Olthannon wrote:The fact that Cathay are in Total War 3 is incredible, I'm fascinated to see what happens with that.
I don't considering TW have ready skins from Three Kingdoms and if I am not mistaken the engine is the same.
Vermis

#77 Post by Vermis »

Olthannon wrote:Good news everyone!!

We've got more delicious treats and it has Bretonnians and the mighty Asur!
I find this out the day after my box from the Baron's War kickstarter arrived. :P It might be years down the line yet, but at my rate of hobbying the new brets will be out by the time I see about converting my fake ones.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#78 Post by Prince of Spires »

Giladis wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote: the Total War: Warhammer III trailer.
There's a TW: Warhammer III trailer? Cool. Do you have a link?

Check out my plog

Giladis
The Merlord

#79 Post by Giladis »

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#80 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks! It looks pretty fun. Seems like we'll get to see some of the less explored races / factions and extend the map to the east.

I'm wondering how much insider knowledge CA has. There's this in thier FAQ's:
IS ALL THIS NEW KISLEV AND CATHAY CONTENT FOR TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER III LEGIT?
Yes! Games Workshop has expanded and created these factions, and partnered with us. You can find out all about it from them on Warhammer Community here including some great interviews.
Now all I need is time to play... ;)

Check out my plog

Giladis
The Merlord

#81 Post by Giladis »

I would say total since the two design studios directly cooperated.
Olthannon

#82 Post by Olthannon »

They expressly mentioned in one of these interviews that the Old World designs, certainly from Kislev, were added directly to total warhammer 3.
One foot in the hobby
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#83 Post by Elithmar »

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... -answered/

Don't know if anyone else spotted this. Some pretty encouraging news. Highlights:

1. Square bases confirmed: "Definitely square! Warhammer: The Old World is a reinvention of the classic rank-and-file game of Warhammer Fantasy Battles."
2. Same scale: "We want people to be able to use their old armies if they wish, or to start new ones, or to add new miniatures to old armies – whatever they want."
3. "Warhammer: The Old World will gather up all our favourite mechanics from the 3rd edition to the 8th edition and add new elements..."

Still lots of ways they could ruin it and still a long time to wait, but some reasons for hope!
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Sturen

#84 Post by Sturen »

Personally I’m more excited for models than anything else. The WHFB death has broken the link between GW rule releases and player preference, and with any luck that will continue. If the rules are good, people will play them, if not they’ll stick to 6th, 7th, 8th, T9A, KoW, or whatever else they’ve picked.

But bring on some brand new, modern elven sculpts. 8th edition had some incredible models before everything went off the wall in AoS.
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#85 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm slightly excited. It sounds like they might actually make a nice game out of it. And with the amount of effort they're putting in and the amount of hype they're trying to create, I have some hope that it will not simply be a one-off thing which will get a single release only to be abandoned instantly again.

I slightly disagree that GW brok the link between rules and models. For existing players definitely. They've spread out and are playing whatever strikes their fancy. But GW is still one of the main entry points for people in to the hobby. Which makes games they push bring in fresh players in a way that T9A or 8th ed. can't and don't do.
Sturen wrote: But bring on some brand new, modern elven sculpts.
What, you missed the amazing elven sculpts GW did for AoS? There were flying sharks with machine guns and turtles and cows and guys wielding pringles cans. A wealth of elves really...

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#86 Post by SpellArcher »

Elithmar wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:47 am Some pretty encouraging news.
Thanks for this Eli. So far everything I'd hoped for, I'll almost certainly be giving it a go. Intrigued by the mention of Half-orcs!
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#87 Post by Elithmar »

I think I'm almost the opposite to Sturen. :P

Not too bothered about new models (just bring back some of the old ones!). GW prices have always been high, but the new models they're bringing out are just ridiculous. Look at those new Lumineth - for the price of 5 infantry models, you could get 10 about five years ago, and maybe 20 ten years ago.

I'm more hoping that a GW supported ruleset will to some extent consolidate a community which fragmented off to lots of different games. I know a lot of people won't come back, but hopefully enough will, combined with new players, so that a good network of clubs and tournaments spring up, all playing the same game.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
MasterOfNone

#88 Post by MasterOfNone »

I agree with Eli on all counts.
Especially on miniatures, I am not a fan of those reated in the AoS times.

Price is obviously an element, but I also think they are too big for WHFB square bases, they are clearly designed for another game that does not have a place for tightly packed large units.
Finally I just don't like too much the style. Yes, they are very refined, but I prefer slightly older looks. I think the miniatures around 6th-7th editions are those that I usually prefer, even compared to some of the excellent production for 8th edition.
For example, I prefer the last metal Phoenix Guard to the 8th edition plastic version; the same for the White Lions (but I do like the plastic SM's more than any previous metal ones).

As for the game itself, if the new rules will be reasonable, I am looking forward to trying the local gaming scene. I came back to Warhammer after it was killed and I have been painting and collecting far more than playing.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
TyrrenAzureblade

#89 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

I'm excited for this, as I'm closing in on wrapping up my High Elf army. Really glad they're sticking to the scale and bases, and it sounds like the rules aren't going to be some variation on AoS. I'm really really hoping/wishing that they do updated High Elf spearmen and archer models, and hoping for some more dynamic Swordmasters, but I'd be fine with a re-release of the Island of Blood sculpts. In the meantime, I've got tons of 6th, 7th, and 8th to play.
Morgen

#90 Post by Morgen »

Thank goodness we know what The Old World is actually supposed to be now. I'm very curious what the rules will end up looking like and how they're going to present models to people. Just rule books? Rules and then reboxed kits? Forgeworld only? I have so many questions!