Warhammer: The Old World

All discussions related to Warhammer: The Old World go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Icarion

Re: Warhammer: The Old World

#31 Post by Icarion »

Good morning,

somehow i really look forward to the "new old world" since my elves still have their square bases and i am slightly disappointed with the new elven stuff from age of sigmar, except for Morathi and her kin. i might use some of the new Lumineth models (heavily converted) for my old army, but playing elves in age of sigmar isnt very convincing for me... maybe a "count as"-army would be cool, but since i see no dragons on the horizon (ok, one for the stormcasts, but that doesnt count) that might prove difficult.

cya,

Icarion
Caledor for life!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#32 Post by SpellArcher »

Icarion wrote:somehow i really look forward to the "new old world" since my elves still have their square bases and i am slightly disappointed with the new elven stuff from age of sigmar,
I guess a key question is will it will be a game of ‘blocks’ or not? The Ice Guard concepts look almost historical to me which suggests the aesthetic of the models will be more old-school.
Olthannon

#33 Post by Olthannon »

I think it will be square bases yeah, they want as many people back in the hobby as possible. I'll gladly spend the money for good stuff.
One foot in the hobby
Giladis
The Merlord

#34 Post by Giladis »

What I find quite problematic is that this won't be "your dad's Old World". I mean the background and the concept for the unit are completely at odds what was established as Kislev lore back in the day. Ice wizards were neutral figures in the Kislev society neither for nor against Kislev but having a common goal of opposing Chaos. Tzarina being an ice wizard was a big and special thing. Her personal spy service did not trust other ice wizards at all and kept a close eye on them. Now they are supposed to be her bodyguards?

If the models are nice I might buy some but GW is loosing me more with each passing day. It even has no connection with most of my hobby time being spent on developing T9A setting. Over the holydays as I was home sick I managed to get my hands on Mark of Chaos and TW: Warhammer and I still really enjoy that setting so it is not like I don't care.
Icarion

#35 Post by Icarion »

Giladis wrote: "your dad's Old World"
lol dad´s?... i played it myself, cus i´m old! :lol: :wink:
anyways, i guess it might still take a while and i am pretty sure, GW rather wants sell new models than let people undust their old ones.
What "gamestyle" it will be - if it will be a standalone game like bloodbowl or if it will replace AoS - we will see.
Whatever it will be, i want them to hurry up cus i hate nothing more than waiting for them to set up rules what stupid bases we will play on. (probably i´ll be disappointed and we have to wait another 2-3 years)

But let´s stay positive, with the Cities of Sigmar we have the possibility to play at least SOME oldschool highelves, so things are not SO terrible! ;)
Caledor for life!
Giladis
The Merlord

#36 Post by Giladis »

That is GW's marketing not me. For the last two years since they went full speed ahead with 8th Ed 40K they been hyping most big changes as "not your dad's WH..." like that is a bad thing or soemthing :(
Icarion

#37 Post by Icarion »

Giladis wrote:That is GW's marketing not me. For the last two years since they went full speed ahead with 8th Ed 40K they been hyping most big changes as "not your dad's WH..." like that is a bad thing or soemthing :(
ok, i didnt know that. this way it looks like some marketing guy at GW has daddy.issues... :lol:

but as you said, i also dont think the old stuff is bad... i would rather say "au contraire", most of it i like even better. the good thing is, with ebay and internet-forums we have a huge amout of models to choose from and we can get old and new stuff, so i think there´s good times ahead! :D
Caledor for life!
Olthannon

#38 Post by Olthannon »

Depends how they fit it all in. Historically, personal bodyguards of rulers tend to end up being extremely powerful and go for the old coup d'etat. Might be why there's a change in this regard, either before or after the fact. Or, it's just a nice change. It's still years away, dismissing it this early on seems fruitless.
One foot in the hobby
Icarion

#39 Post by Icarion »

Well, to MAKE things fit, there´s some nice tricks, like working with the bases to make models look bigger, putting them on stones (and the bigger ones on smaller stones) or slightly more earth before adding static grass...
once an army is completely painted in one style, nobody will care! ;)
Caledor for life!
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#40 Post by Elithmar »

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... ge-post-4/

The latest update - Kislev bears.

Of course the concept sketches indicate something much bigger (and more expensive, I'm sure...) than the old models. Which just makes me think how perfect these would have been for 8th edition, given the monstrous cavalry trend!
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Olthannon

#41 Post by Olthannon »

I am a huge fan of those bear concept images. They look absolutely delicious. Can't wait to see this all coming to fruition in a few years.
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#42 Post by Prince of Spires »

Agreed. The bear concept looks great. If the finished model turns out similar then it will be a tempting buy for sure.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Vermis

#43 Post by Vermis »

I'm not so sure about the bear cavalry, in that it seems like a continuation of the 8th/ET trend of making things more WoW-ey. For the human factions at least. I liked that they had a few half-decent wizards and maybe the emperor had a griffin in his menagerie, but otherwise it was cannons and cold steel against all the other magic-saturated weirdoes of the world.

But then I also chop the flaming bows off sisters of avelorn, so there's that. :P
Olthannon

#44 Post by Olthannon »

I mean to be fair the bear cavalry of Kislev has existed since forever.
One foot in the hobby
Th3_5had0w_K1ng

#45 Post by Th3_5had0w_K1ng »

I'm cautiously hopeful for the "Old World". There are plenty of other rank and file games that have a more streamlined and less complicated ruleset that caused GW to pull the plug on fantasy.... I don't think they'll make significant changes to the lore considering the success of the Total War: Warhammer games. It wouldn't make sense to make it different from what non-tabletop gamers have learned about it through video games.

The only things I do worry about, are different model footprints that make older armies obsolete so you have to buy bases or entirely new armies if it's in a different scale (ie 15mm) or their "streamlined rules" incentives which would ruin the option for character/army customization. Give me back the pages of magic items and location specific rules and I'll be happy. Let me create MY army the way I envision it, instead of "well, a high elf is a high elf so that's what you get". Cothique elves FTW.
"Looking into the steely eyes of his foes, Kolgar felt his blood run cold.
There was no fear upon the faces of the Elves, only ruthless determination.
With a silent prayer to Khorne, Kolgar hoped the Blood God was with him."

**RETIRED FROM WARHAMMER FANTASY 2015. END TIMES.**
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#46 Post by SpellArcher »

The bear armour brings The Golden Compass to mind.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#47 Post by SpellArcher »

More directly on topic I found this interesting, if slightly spicy:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer:_The_Old_World
SpellArcher wrote:The bear armour brings The Golden Compass to mind.
Just watched Season 1 of the His Dark Materials TV show, wow. Strongly recommended, bears aplenty.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#48 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:More directly on topic I found this interesting, if slightly spicy:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer:_The_Old_World
I think that's a pretty good summary of what we know, what to expect and how a lot of people see it.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Olthannon

#49 Post by Olthannon »

Good news everyone!!

We've got more delicious treats and it has Bretonnians and the mighty Asur!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... bretonnia/

Also a lot of key information : namely it's set a few hundred years in the past during the war of the four emperors.

Nothing fills me with joy quite like a fantasy map and this is one is just as good as the last.

Hoping some more minis are shown this year!
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#50 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks for this Olthannon!
Olthannon wrote:Asur
Interesting mention. Maybe the focus really will be almost exclusively on 'The Old World' and High Elf involvement will be of expeditionary forces?
Olthannon wrote:it's set a few hundred years in the past during the war of the four emperors
I for one, can deal.
Olthannon

#51 Post by Olthannon »

Yep, 100% it's the right move setting it further in the past. Gives them a huge scope, plus if the empire is at war with itself then you don't need as many model ranges to start with because multiple armies can be empire.

I suspect our dear expeditionary armies will be limited at the start, but I'm ok with that too.
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#52 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm excited. The starting point makes sense. They can't go forward, since the kind of destroyed the world and I doubt they want to retcon that. And starting back a "present day" makes little sense, since they would limit themselves a lot with what they can do. Going back in time then means they can go in whatever direction they want.

It's nice to see a hint of Asur in there (and is that Ulthuan on the edge of the map?).

I like that they seem to be putting a fair bit of time into it. I gives me hope that this won't be a one-off boxed game but rather something which they plan on continuing.

Rod

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#53 Post by Olthannon »

Prince of Spires wrote:
It's nice to see a hint of Asur in there (and is that Ulthuan on the edge of the map?).
I was about to say yes, but actually I think that might be the corner of Albion, now that would be something..

I think they might test the waters with a box game to see how it does, but GW know they have a market for it.
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#54 Post by Prince of Spires »

Olthannon wrote: I think they might test the waters with a box game to see how it does, but GW know they have a market for it.
What I would do (though they never ask me for some reason) is to start with a box set combined with a separate rulebook.

A box set with rules included to draw in new players and have a completed, standalone game. And then a rulebook to let people use their existing miniatures and give the game broader appeal, without actually having to create the models for it. After all, a box set with just 2 factions will mainly appeal to those factions. You'd get those players but the rest would just feel disenfranchised and forgotten.

Rod

Check out my plog

Azaam

#55 Post by Azaam »

I try to be not too much excited about stuff that are far from release especially when we have so little information about but I'm sure happy that we'll be able to see some new high elves models ! Because we will, right ? Right ?
Painter, maker, caster
My painting blog
Morgen

#56 Post by Morgen »

It's fun to see a nice map and hear about the factions and things they're looking to explore but it'd be even nicer to at least get some reveal of just what kind of game they're trying to make...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#57 Post by Prince of Spires »

Azaam wrote:I'm sure happy that we'll be able to see some new high elves models ! Because we will, right ? Right ?
Didn't HE get some new models recently? I remember there was a flying shark with a machinegun on top and a weird flying turtle like thing, and the bulls with the pringle can weapons...
Morgen wrote:It's fun to see a nice map and hear about the factions and things they're looking to explore but it'd be even nicer to at least get some reveal of just what kind of game they're trying to make...
Yeah, I'd love to know what direction they're thinking in.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#58 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote:I suspect our dear expeditionary armies will be limited at the start, but I'm ok with that too.
So in the comments under the video below, the point is made that focusing on The Old World proper at the start of the game gives GW the freedom to expand further afield later, if and when they choose. Presumably easier to limit the background work and model ranges early on. Might also let them go into more depth than before in certain ways?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7cbLT2uSQg
Giladis
The Merlord

#59 Post by Giladis »

Also in case anyone was wondering when the thing will take place the Bretonnian part of the map reveals the "current" king is Louen Orc-Slayer who as we know from the last BR AB reigned around the year 2201.

For us as HE players it means that the game is unlikely to include Tyrion or Teclis in any recognisable form since it is a century too early before they come into their own.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#60 Post by Prince of Spires »

That places it at the start of Finubar's reign, about 100 years before the great chaos incursion. Enough stuff happening, and Finubar is active enough internationally to give HE a role in whatever they have planned.

Check out my plog