WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Devia

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Olthannon

Re: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (D

#31 Post by Olthannon »

So where does your lad get his inspiration from out of interest?
One foot in the hobby
Karak Norn Clansman

#32 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

@Prince of Spires: :lol:

True!

Brightwoad Beaerer

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Unofficial fan content

The Brightwoad Bearer has been tattooed with Magical Woad. The dye comes from sap that is tapped from a special type of tree, it is not truly woad but similar in colour, and contains photophores. A closely guarded secret of the Truthsayers; only they know how to extract, distill, and use it on warriors to apply its extremely potent effects. The process is otherwise too dangerous to undertake, and will cause death in the wearer if not done by an experienced hand. Even when it is properly done, the wearer slowly goes mad from the chemicals within seeping into their bloodstream. While sane, and even when completely lost to a drooling rage, the warrior is a devastating unit of shock infantry. Fighting with preternatural speed, strength and agility. But the most powerful aspect of this woad is that it has been known to chip an axe and break arrows. They are not truly invulnerable, but it does provide great protection that unnerves and surprises the enemy.

This particular warrior is carrying a shield of Arch-bronze, and a sword which has been made in the Forge of the Old Ones. Identifiable by its undulating pattern.

I had to make a decision on what to make as the elite unit of Albion, something like a Phoenix Guard, or Temple Guard. I thought about what the most famous unit was from the Celtic world, something that people who have almost no knowledge about them might know about. Woad wearing naked warriors. Charioteers were my second idea, and they will come. I am thinking I would like to push the unit further into fantasy, glowing eyes and more jewellery. I would also like to push the glowing aspect of the woad.

Arch-bronze is my way of including bronze in an otherwise mostly medieval fantasy. Because it looks better than steel imo. And it adds to the Celtic aesthetic.
Karak Norn Clansman

#33 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

@Olthannon: Out of a lifelong passion for learning history and archaeology, I'm sure. :)

Manhirs of Albion

What better than animated standing stones than to fill the role of large and extra large units for the natives of Albion?

These are comprised of Manhirs and Manoliths. The latter being the larger. These are permanently animated beings created by adept Truthsayers who focus on the Lore of Life. The constitution of Ogham stones are a secret to all except Truthsayers, and only they know how to use their magic to bring these beings to life. Though understandably slow they posess well, giant rocks tied together with roots for bodies, it is best to try your luck running away unless you have some on your side.
Brightwoad Bearer II

More of what I had in mind for the glowing woad and eyes than the previous iteration.

I designed them to be the ultimate unit for order-aligned Albion. Drawing their power from the magical brightwoad permanently etched upon them by only the few Truthsayers who know how. This deflects attacks greater than armour and even more magic! But at the cost of the wearer's sanity which will fray until the man becomes a lunatic foaming at the mouth that is hellbent on violence.
Chief Vaia Aboard Her Chariot

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Unofficial original fan-made content

The Chief of the Tower of Llenog, the mightiest tribe of Albion. Wielding her legendary fire-spewing spear that descended from the sun itself into the spot where the tower was later built. A present of the god of the sun, to the Albion's first and only king, to unite its people and make them mighty.

I never really knuckled down and pursued this project hard. maybe I should have done that a year ago. I find it difficult to really push myself beyond reality into warhammerish nonsense when coming up with original ideas for Albion. How do I bring Celts into a Warhammer setting? How do I make them powerful enough to fight the other races without being broken? How do I come up with interesting fantastical units that fit into the 'verse?

Britonic Celts loved to use their chariots so it makes perfect sense to implement that into their unit roster, and if we can push it farther to the point where it is a specialty and strength that perhaps they have better chariots than other races then that also makes sense.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#34 Post by Prince of Spires »

What better than animated standing stones than to fill the role of large and extra large units for the natives of Albion?

These are comprised of Manhirs and Manoliths. The latter being the larger. These are permanently animated beings created by adept Truthsayers who focus on the Lore of Life. The constitution of Ogham stones are a secret to all except Truthsayers, and only they know how to use their magic to bring these beings to life. Though understandably slow they posess well, giant rocks tied together with roots for bodies, it is best to try your luck running away unless you have some on your side.
I just love these. The others are nice drawings as well. But these are both very well drawn and very unique and captivating. I immediately get a feeling for the sheer power and earthyness of them. They make me want to include them in a work of fiction somewhere.

Thanks for sharing!

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Karak Norn Clansman

#35 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Cheers! Please shout when you do include them in a story. :)

Henge Chariot

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Original fan content

"It's a shame you can't just pick up the Ogham Stones and take them with you, they're so helpful casting spells, but never in exactly the right place when you need them" - Boio Windspeaker, Truthsayer of The Circle. Unwitting inventor of the Henge Chariot.

The Ogham Stones augment the winds of magic, improving the quality of spell, and ease of casting. Other Truthsayers scoffed and even laughed at Boio's idea, but when he took it into battle there was no laughing, only the screams of his enemies.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#36 Post by Prince of Spires »

Karak Norn Clansman wrote: Henge Chariot
That thing looks so utterly impractical, it could have been designed by Games-Workshop...
Karak Norn Clansman wrote:Cheers! Please shout when you do include them in a story.
Will do ;)

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Karak Norn Clansman

#37 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Prince of Spires wrote:
That thing looks so utterly impractical, it could have been designed by Games-Workshop...
Score! :lol:

Indeed!

Master de Witte has started to pick up on concept ideas from over on Chaos Dwarfs Online:

Bowler

Bowlers are large (even for a warrior of Albion) slingers who hurl large stones. You may think you need to get close to not have to confront getting your helm caved-in by massive stones. But upon inspecting their size, you may think out-ranging them with your own missiles would be a smarter approach. At higher levels, these men wear better armour and hurl magical carved shots imbued by Truthsayers. While they can't throw as far as a normal slinger, they hit extremely hard.

Thanks for the inspiration from a user from a message board by the name of Uther the Unhinged. Who suggested magical sling stones. I think it's a great way to add to their uniqueness!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#38 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Only if you meant pre 2010 GW. Current GW would need it to be pulled by giant eagles, or perhaps sharks.
Karak Norn Clansman

#39 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Chief Begorix and Hoggarix

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:Begoix is chief of the Boreni. The tribe is located nearby the main herding grounds of great hogs which it uses as mounts. These animals have potential to grow greater in size than the other boars of Albion and the Old World, and Begorix rides Hoggarix, who comes from a bloodline cultivated by the chieftains of old to be the largest and most spirited of all great hogs. He and his tribe take the mantle of protecting the Great Ogham, The most important and largest stone circle in Albion, it channels much of the power that is used by Truthsayers. Knowledge and wisdom old and new is recorded upon its many stone edifices by the Truthsayers. He is immensely proud to a fault, he does not allow for anyone of other tribes to trespass without the blessings of the native Thruthsayers.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#40 Post by SpellArcher »

My Orcs would be very impressed with that bad boy!

:mrgreen:
Karak Norn Clansman

#41 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

@SpellArcher: No doubt!

Hurler

Though fierce warriors all, the natives of Albion do enjoy sporting. Even so, it is a violent game, with many finding their mouths on the receiving end of a hurley. Those competent enough at the sport may decide to convert it into warfare, striking stone balls at their enemies, then switching to bladed sticks, with a metal pommel so it can be used for smashing heads after ammunition is gone. These warriors can strike their shots while moving and hit them further than the "bowlers" can throw.

I was watching an Irish film and had this idea strike me. While I'm not sure how far one can hit a stone with a hurley, and then there being enough force behind it to kill, let's just conveniently suspend that part of reality shall we? :D

Armor was inspired by the Glauberg Prince, combined with Halstatt studs.
Karak Norn Clansman

#42 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Wicker Man

The Truthsayers know a myriad of secrets, not all of them are good. The ability to animate the Manhirs and Manoliths into machinations of war are one thing, the Wicker Men are more curious still. Even rarer, and of dubious origins, they instill fear in their allies and enemies. A chieftain will not turn away the help but it will give him unease. What powers them? What causes the being to burn without being consumed? Ask not, only see the path to victory before you, whose blazing trail has been bought with the screams of the burning soul trapped within.
Karak Norn Clansman

#43 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Champion of Oghams

These great warriors are tasked with protecting the most sacred stone circles that populate Albion. While a standard standing-stone channels and amplifies the Winds of Magic, the stone circles don't just amplify them greatly, but contain wisdom and knowledge from the aeons inscribed in ogham upon them. They are of utmost importance to the peoples of Albion, and must have their chosen protectors.

I wanted to show the ways I could make La Tene inspired plate armour. And design a non-charcter hero-style unit
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#44 Post by SpellArcher »

Karak Norn Clansman wrote:Wicker Men
Great idea and scary stuff indeed.

:shock:
Karak Norn Clansman

#45 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Warhammer is historically based fantasy meets metalheads, so that's suitable. :D

Cornu Players

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:The Cornu is a magical war trumpet that inspires its army to feats of glory, each style has its own sound and affects the listener differently. The immense amount of work and care that goes into each one belies its importance to the people of Albion. These are not common instruments, neither is it a common man who plays them!

--------------------

I wanted to combine the different styles of La Tene trumpets. But I'm not sure where I got the idea for a wrap-around. I most definitely saw it somewhere.
Karak Norn Clansman

#46 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Citadel of Lead

The hold is constructed upon the ruins of an ancient structure built by Old Ones. The demon Be'lakor, and the labour of slaves assembled the Citadel, most of which died, upon his leaving the island it came under the control of the wizard Ternoash, who visits on occasion but leaves in the hands of his many puppets. It is hidden deep in the Chaos tainted North, nigh impossible to find in the heavy mists and treacherous bogs that surround it, and even when you do find it, what will you do but despair? The walls are woven with lead, and the central tower is completely metal while twisted abominations created by the Deceiver lurch and flap between the ramparts. While the demon Be'lakor was able to garrison and arm the citadel to the brim, it is still powerful without him.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#47 Post by SpellArcher »

Karak Norn Clansman wrote:twisted abominations created by the Deceiver lurch and flap between the ramparts
Seems like a jolly place!

:)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#48 Post by Prince of Spires »

A very happy place indeed. Just imagine being lost in the mist, wandering for a couple of days and you come up against this citadel. I think the initial joy of finding a piece of civilization will disappear quickly

Check out my plog

Karak Norn Clansman

#49 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

A great tourist trap, then! :lol:

Buddug

Buddug is the great eagle riding archer, Chief of the Toulenii.

I wanted to redesign her helmet as it is the personality of the character and I felt that the original was too generic. and I wanted to draw her for fun.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#50 Post by SpellArcher »

I like how the armour on these warriors elaborates on classic Celtic themes.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#51 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:I like how the armour on these warriors elaborates on classic Celtic themes.
The helmet has a Roman feel to me.

I really like the little details like the featers

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#52 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:The helmet has a Roman feel to me.
I think there was a fair bit of crossover in the development of Celtic and Roman arms and armour. I’m also reminded of some Renaissance armour which can show heavy Greek and Roman influences.
Olthannon

#53 Post by Olthannon »

Yes, 1st century BC Roman helmets were actively based on Gallic helmet designs.

EDIT: Should point out that study of the interactions of Britons and Romans in Britain is my job so that's not some throwaway comment :lol: .
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#54 Post by Prince of Spires »

Olthannon wrote:Should point out that study of the interactions of Britons and Romans in Britain is my job so that's not some throwaway comment :lol: .
Sounds like a pretty cool job :D

Thanks for the info. Nice to see that we're both right ;)

Check out my plog

Olthannon

#55 Post by Olthannon »

Eh, it's okay. Turns out if you want a good job in the heritage sector you should really have trained in business and management rather than archaeology.

I'm genuinely impressed with the stuff the artist is coming out with, it ticks a lot of boxes!
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#56 Post by Prince of Spires »

Olthannon wrote:Eh, it's okay. Turns out if you want a good job in the heritage sector you should really have trained in business and management rather than archaeology.
in my experience (working in various companies), it turns out that if you want a good job in any sector you should really have trained in business and management rather than anything else. ;)

I agree on the drawings in this thread :)

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#57 Post by SpellArcher »

Olthannon wrote:study of the interactions of Britons and Romans in Britain is my job
8)

Do you specialise in a particular period Olthannon?
Karak Norn Clansman

#58 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Nice! Period expert in the audience. :)

Mutant Tyrant

Matthew Klaas de Witte wrote:All chaos followers actively seek the favour of the Dark Gods, and yet they are fickle with their "blessings" coming in many awful forms, most of the time the negative outweighing the positive. Within the North of Albion the mist-laiden bogs contain secrets that should not be found and many who seek its power return forever translated into mindless mutants of a myriad of shapes.

Ternoash is a wizard of exceptional power, and such Tzeentch has granted him the gift to bestow mutations upon subjects. This is done within his massive cauldron in the central tower of the Citadel of Lead, and is one of the only "sure" ways of gaining powers via mutations. That said, perhaps asking "The Deceiver" for power by hopping into a mutagenic cauldron inside a dread citadel is not the most intelligent course of action. Very few if any return with cognitive ability above that of a simple beast, thus they become enslaved to Ternoash.
Olthannon

#59 Post by Olthannon »

SpellArcher wrote:
Do you specialise in a particular period Olthannon?
So Prehistory is my bread and butter, there's a lot of that. That can be anything from 30,000 years ago to only 2000 years ago. The main focus on that is transition periods which are always fascinating; leads to migration, trade, new technologies etc. My specialisation I guess is a whole lot later, which is the bit I mentioned above. That's all late Iron Age which is 180BCE to 400CE give or take a few centuries depending on who is defining it.
A lot of my current time is taken up by archaeology in the media and how people interact with it. Which is why this thread is personally really interesting to me and why I asked further up the thread where the artist gets his inspiration from. We get a lot of these weird obsessions with 'Celts' from the Victorians and sadly stuff like the druids is all made up. But that doesn't mean it's not cool. And one of the great things about Warhammer Fantasy is that it's historical but once removed into the fantasy setting which I really enjoy. I think the artist has nailed that idea, so you have some really nice Gallic or La Tene stylised art but also lovely whacky stuff like the big old stone chariot :D
One foot in the hobby
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#60 Post by SpellArcher »

I also find fiction a great source of ideas. The work of Robert Holdstock for example fits this thread like a glove. Personally I’m more interested in a more interwoven Roman Britain (big Rosemary Sutcliff fan) than the ‘Celtic’ Britain that the Romans came into contact with but it’s all grist to the mill.