Fan 9e is looking pretty good.

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Eirik

Fan 9e is looking pretty good.

#1 Post by Eirik »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BdU ... v68hb40nar

Tomb kings can march within 12'' of Heirophant. Most models are cheaper. Skeleton horsemen get heavy armor and skeleton archers get vanguard.

High elf Frost Phoenix and Bolt Throwers more expensive, Banner of World Dragon is only a 3+ ward instead of a 2+. Teclis is more expensive. These are actually buffs in disguise because people will comp and whine less.

Brettonia gets cheaper models

Beastmen get a new armybook

Some spell lores are improved. Fire doesn't suck anymore, it's new attribute is that whenever you cast a spell an enemy within 24'' takes d3 s4 hits. Comet of Cassandora has a boosted version that lets you choose the number of turns instead of a coin flip. High magic seems unhurt.

Miscasting works about the same, but penalty depends on number of dice used. For example, if you get the bad result on the miscast chart, instead of rolling to see if you get sucked into the warp, you get sucked in if you used 4 or more power dice.

You get 1/2 victory points for enemy units fleeing or below 25% at end of game.

Buildings are easier to capture

It looks pretty good to me. The way I see it, GW releasing warhammer from it's withered grip is a good thing.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
cptcosmic

Re: Fan 9e is looking pretty good.

#2 Post by cptcosmic »

honestly, if you nerf banner of the world dragon to be BSB only then you have to nerf plenty of other units which HE have no hope of defeating in normal conditions due to initiative and weapon skill being worth less than armor saves, toughness and strength. by nerfing botwd in such a way without adjusting everything else you basically flush the credibility down the toilet and the whole ruleset is worth nothing.

anyway, the changes I would be most interested in are:
-normalized to hit table
-warmachines not being pseudo templates and not being able to shoot everywhere from anywhere
-ellyrian reavers with barding
-combined profile for monsters+rider

are not in, conclusion: not interested :D
Last edited by cptcosmic on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loriel

#3 Post by Loriel »

after quick browse I liked some of the rules that I see.

Few comments
- 135 angle front arc? The actual wording on the rule is too incomplete. I would prefer 90 since it is easier to measure from square bases. I haven't calculated the math here but on top of my head on 5 files and 3 rank unit, then drawing line between front rank model and far rear rank model. I would leave this out ;)
- Keywords for the win. Things like having spell duration temporary / permanent etc, is really really good approach. with all other keyword using.
- I personally find that "aid" casting rule odd. Imo Channeling covers this "function" allready and just seems unnecessary complication to the game imo.
- having RiP dispelled before any other spells is cast? I wouldn't make it so.
- Overwhelming power... can be dispelled... well perhaps... on the other hand this opens up real interesting things that in sometimes you might even wish for opponent to make a miscast, thus not dispelling ;)
- I like the idea that miscasts is adjusted by Power dice used. Naturally some more powerfull spells have to have more dreadfull miscast than some feeble magical trick.
- Aiding in casting? I think this rule is little unnecassary complication to the game. The "effect" what they are probably looking for is allready implemented in channeling. I would personally adjust channeling to somewhat more meaningfull. Rolling your wizard level or less, would be fine for me, or making the channel roll that every wizard channels rolls are summed and for every... 10? you get a dice... something like this... simple 6+ to channel is imo too little.
- magical move, good that they gave it standardized rule.
- strider not losing steadfat / rank bonuses. looks god =)
- Building "Continuing assault!", reforms to assaulters, This is super +++++. Nothing is more stupid in 8th than the fact that assault just stops (leaving the assaulters really unadvantegous position.
- VP from fleeing / units dropped down 25% is really good call.
- combination of character alloweance is welcome.
- Magic with color represent the upgrade is really good
- fiery convocation 116+ to cast ;) prolly typo

---

changes to helf, eventhough it hurts to think that no ToP / fencers blade for wizards on these rules, they seem for me to be rather ok to represent what it does. I have always though that having Banner of the World dragon carried by unit of infantries is extremely good. It is still plausible for Dragon Princes. But having it on bsb makes the banner much more unattractive.

---

All in all, not bad, but prolly something that i wouldn't still use ;)
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Francis

#4 Post by Francis »

Looked at it and didn't like it. Back to KoW and 8th.
Lord Anathir

#5 Post by Lord Anathir »

KoW, babies! Its better than any version of hammer ever.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Ielthan

#6 Post by Ielthan »

I like it but it clearly has some way to go. The wording could definitely be clearer in a few places.

In regards to the high elves personally I feel reducing botwd to a 3+ was enough, the 10 pt bump on top of this wasn't needed, it just means you'll see even more phoenix guard or dragon prince stars.

I'm not a fan of the changes to high magic, frankly it should be one of the stronger lores fluff wise (yes I know this is balance driven). They should really eliminate tempest, and either replace it with a ward save spell like Furion has put in his version or just the old Courage of Aenarion; makes a unit stubborn.

In the version they'd put out earlier they'd given swordmasters ignore asl from their greatswords, I liked that, it made them a genuine alternative to white lions and reflected their fluff (finest infantry short of chaos warriors), very disappointed it hasn't gotten through.

I don't really understand the 135 degree arc, it's hard to implement without templates and I'm not quite sure what they're looking to change gameplay-wise. The 90-135 degree change just seems arbitrary.

Personally I'd like to see combined profiles, although the caveat is significantly worse defensive items, no one wants to face a tzeentch sorceror lord on chaos dragon with 3++ rerolling 1's with a combined profile.

I really wish they'd just remove the no saves of any kind spells (stupid no skill dwellers..). They're just anti-fun, if they're nerfing deathstars they should nerf the super spells as their only purpose really was to counter deathstars.

In the previous version they'd put in a rule for spear units called cavalry bane, where if cav/chariots/monstrous cav charged them in the front they took a dangerous terrain test for every model that could make an attack against them. Loved it, really made spearwalls a thing, and buffed loads of armies core units.

p.s. Ghal Maraz for 60pts???
Eirik

#7 Post by Eirik »

Lol, well, it's an aplha.

HE has been doing pretty well at tournies, and I don't think they're done every race. The 135 degree charge arc is pretty weird. Missed taht at first, almost wonder if it is a typo no that I've seen it.

EDIT: The arc is still 90 degrees as per the image, it's just written and explained poorly.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
Eirik

#8 Post by Eirik »

All of these things are for debate on the forum btw. Feel free to participate. KoW is fun, but isn't warhammer. It'd be nice to have an game that played like warhammer but got attention and regular updates.
Eirik

#9 Post by Eirik »

They updated. BotWD is back to 50pts, so our infantry can use it again.

Spears are going to give KB against charging cav. Shield parry saves are being increased to 5++. Both should make the oft-rejected infantry options of most races much more usable.
Shadeseraph

#10 Post by Shadeseraph »

I rather like 9th age, and I'm following their changes with a fair bit of interest.

From my understanding, the aid effect is only for dispelling. I quite liked it, it makes taking multiple small wizards viable, at least from a defensive point of view. Taking a lord level mage is less mandatory that way.

The "135 degrees" thing is just 90º + 45º, so, as usual.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
Galdor

#11 Post by Galdor »

The website for 9th age is up:

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/

Looks like they're doing a great job so far. I hope plenty of people get behind it!
ArhangelusM

#12 Post by ArhangelusM »

I must say it really looks good so far....and promising for the future since it's only Alpha version at the moment! :)

They will be doing the beta rulebook first (promised it to be out before september) so they can finetune it and after that, they will be remaking armybooks one by one, Beastmen style...:)

And they are open to input on their own subforum on TWF. :mrgreen:
The 9th Age team member:
- former Vampire Covenant Army Book Committee member
- Highborn Elves Army Book Committee member
Eirik

#13 Post by Eirik »

There are more updates to respond to feedback.

They're releasing it in parts.

A main book updates 8e to 9e with a few changes. A balance patch updates rules/points for armies that don't have a new book yet. A magic lore book replaces the spells for the book lores. They also plan to release individual army books for each race (only beastmen is available now)

A lot of changes are being harmonized across books. For example, the OnG book says to use the giant from the new beastmen book. Crappy models like giants are getting buffed.

I won't complain about the cost increase on phoenix as terrorgheist is also more expensive and is being made unique.
ForsetisMuse

#14 Post by ForsetisMuse »

Hi everyone,

The 9th age will release the beta within short and has started a countdown in form of daily sneak peaks! You can check them out at http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/ . They have also gotten twitter going at The_9th_Age !
ArhangelusM

#15 Post by ArhangelusM »

I must say I like the sneak peaks so far.

If the entire rule book changes that way, I am expecting some added depth to tactics and gaming in the oncoming 9th Age! :mrgreen:
The 9th Age team member:
- former Vampire Covenant Army Book Committee member
- Highborn Elves Army Book Committee member