So what is the verdict?

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

The Silly Dragon

So what is the verdict?

#1 Post by The Silly Dragon »

First off I want to say that I am coming back to this site after real life problems got me away from Warhammer and stuff. I like to think that one or two people have missed me :lol: .

I am very strongly gonna be coming back to Warhammer soon what with my friend getting pumped due to his Dark Elves rumoured to be getting a new book in this coming Winter.

I don't have the new book yet but I will be getting hold of it by the end of the week.

So I ask (as it has been out awhile now) what is the general consensus of the new book? Overpowered? Weak? Internally balanced but sucks against other 8th ed books? this is what I hear the most from my gaming group). In my local gaming group there are no HE players (there was one but he quit after 8th edition came out).

I like what I hear about the Loremaster but everything else I hear leads me to little hope of standing against my friend's DE with Hydras, Xbows and Dark Magic spam (or anything in their book tbh :cry: ).

Thank you for your time and I hope to be here more actively in the future.

Edit: Also I am redoing all my HE painting inspired by the style of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Black and Gold). Just thought I would share that.
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
MR. GRUMPY

Re: So what is the verdict?

#2 Post by MR. GRUMPY »

I love it and so far find its balanced to other 8th edition books. The only thing I feel we really lost from last edition is magic superiority but we had to invest quite a lot of points into that and botwd is a nice tradeoff for banner of sorcery. :lol:
DE is always a tough matchup for us but with cheaper bolthrowers and high magic that can put out a lot of str 4 attacks (yumyum t3 Dark elves) if anything its a better match up now I feel (Havent played them yet). They will also struggle to kill frosties and if your friend is shooty you have PGs now fighting in 3 ranks and core SH to pressure him with.
Furion

#3 Post by Furion »

My verdict is the same as before: the book has variety of units, half of them are priced ok, the other half is so overpriced that they won't find place in a competetive play.

What is left allows for 3 so far identified competetive builds.

cheers
Furion
[url=http://www.youtube.com/followfurion][b]FollowFurion[/b] on youtube for in depth WFB tactics analysis (click!)[/url]
The Silly Dragon

#4 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Going blind I am thinking of going with a Frostie Birdie with as many Sisters as I can (I love Avelorn) lead by a Loremaster in a unit of PG with protection and maybe the Book of Hoeth (it now does rerolls or something for casting and loremaster lv2?).

Core will most likely be 2 units of Silver helms to protect flanks and maybe some Reavers with archers too (are Reaver core?). In special it will be PG and some SM (for fluff only as I hear these guys are pants now). Also some Skycutters (I like the idea of looks of the units though I hear they underperform) and RBT so to have a nice standing shooting force that can go offensive at a moments notice.

I see to have a BSB and a Mage lv2 for the new High magic to try it out and most points to be spent in rare, core and characters with special no longer being maxed out.

Though it is subject to change once I get hold of the book except the loremaster as I love the idea and already have some written down fluff for him.

What are the competitive builds? Not that I will use them as I prefer fluff and balance (all comers) then to min/maxing. I would just like to know what the thought patterns are for the units power (like seeing a lot of Sisters or not).
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Celadon

#5 Post by Celadon »

My only issue with the Loremaster is the Lvl 2 casting/dispelling from a lord lvl caster. If you run into someone who brings Lvl 4 casters, you are going to struggle to get anything through. I feel they took away a lot of the reliability from the magic phase for us and didn't really replace it with anything else. At the end of the day, we cast only marginally better using High magic and not as well as some using the other lores (not counting special Chars). The book of Hoeth is a great magic item but it is no Banner of Sorc.
endontoddy

#6 Post by endontoddy »

Celadon wrote:My only issue with the Loremaster is the Lvl 2 casting/dispelling from a lord lvl caster. If you run into someone who brings Lvl 4 casters, you are going to struggle to get anything through. I feel they took away a lot of the reliability from the magic phase for us and didn't really replace it with anything else. At the end of the day, we cast only marginally better using High magic and not as well as some using the other lores (not counting special Chars). The book of Hoeth is a great magic item but it is no Banner of Sorc.
The Loremaster does bring the advantage of having so many spells available at once (all at low casting values) that you can usually make many casting attempts. Even against a lvl4 your likely to get *something* through.
Worloch

#7 Post by Worloch »

If you're interested in the Loremaster and the Book of Hoeth, this thread is worth a read - http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45362

I haven't yet had the opportunity but it is my intention to give a Loremaster w/ Book, Sword of Might and Merwyrm Shield a try. The versatility is attractive, and even against a defending lvl 4, you have a chance of squeezing something through.

If you go for 85% confidence when casting and a LM w/ Book you end up with something like this:

1 PD = Fireball (5+), Shem's (5+), Miasma (5+)
2 PD = Earthblood (8+), Iceshard (7+), Spirit Leech (7+)
3 PD = Fireball (10+), Wildform (10+), Searing (10+), Iceshard (10+), Miasma (10+), Spirit Leech (10+)
4 PD = Wildform (13+)
5 PD = Fireball (18+), Shem's (15+)
6 PD = Searing (20+)

So, for the first couple of turns, given average PD results (7 or so) you can do 2+2+1+1+1 or 3+2+1+1 with a fairly high confidence in successful casts. For example, an offensive grouping might look like Searing + Spirit Leech + Fireball + Shem's. A more defensive grouping might look like Earthblood + Iceshard + Miasma + Shem's + Fireball.

Either way, your opponent is faced with the prospect of each of those spells going off, and prioritization becomes a little more problematic, as you're not going for 1 clutch spell. Of course, if you need to, you can always throw 6 dice at a spell if it becomes clutch, like Searing Doom in the right circumstances.

Taking the BotWD in the unit with your Mage does help to mitigate Miscasts of course.
GooberNumber9

#8 Post by GooberNumber9 »

I'm an old 40k player, so the first amy books/codicies I ever used were second edition 40k (the first ones for that game). Since then through now, counting all the Eldar, Space Marine, and more recently Tomb King, Daemons, and High Elf codicies and army books I've used, the new High Elf book is my favorite. I totally love this book. I've been winning more games and using a much wider variety of different models. We actually have many good choices in Core and Rares and there are so many different lists that people swear by it's amazing.

The book is definitely not overpowered, and that might be a disappointment for some. We are still going to struggle against the most powerful books and builds, which sadly includes the recent Ogres book, so we can't look forward to that being replaced by something more balanced anytime soon. Still, the book is not at all underpowered and from my games so far I feel like it's at least slightly more powerful overall. The best thing is that almost every unit has a use and many list styles are viable. So you can really pick your favorite looking models or your favorite fluff and make something useful out of it.

Edit: a note about Dark Elves: The only games I've lost so far with the new book was against Dark Elves. The main reason why I lost is because I made a huge mistake trying to divert a horde of Corsairs and instead the wrecked half of my army. The nice thing about the Loremaster is he gives you Searing Doom for anti-hydra. Archers are now more affordable so you can try to outshoot the crossbows with an extra 6" of range, or use bolt throwers in mult-shot mode. The Loremaster and the Frostheart Phoenix help a lot against DE with buffs/debuffs. The biggest remaining challenge for me in DE is the "unkillable" Dreadlord. Aside from that I think you can definitely hold your own against DE if not get a good number of wins under you belt.
The Silly Dragon

#9 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Thing is most people in my gaming group take the game fairly seriously and see it as the norm to take the cheesiest list imaginable for their armies. My friend not so much but he does play to win (we all do to a degree). The trouble is I have very bad memories of his Dark Elves with the 7th book and he equally has some bad memories too of my HE. It was only after he started using the more broken items (Pendant, Dagger, Hydra etc) that I really started to struggle as before it was a nice forward and back of wins between us. So my worry is that what normally worked before would suck now and not be replaced with anything, if you know what I mean.

I used to take LSG, PG and some Chariots when it was the norm that these were suboptimal even going against beastly lists like from Ogres and Skaven. I didn't win that much but it was fun. My concern is that it will be next to impossible but not due to the book but because my playstyle wont fit the book. I have been thinking for awhile of changing armies but decided to give the book a try before at least.

I guess what I am saying is that my concern is that I wont like the book or the changes make playing in my environment 'unfun' which would defeat the object of the game (fun can come from loses infact most of my best games has ended in a lose for me but the banter was brilliant).

Perhaps when I get the book i'll do a first impressions here and then carry on (maybe some kind of blog but i don't think i would have the time or well motivation to do so).

What are peoples opinion of High Magic? When i read the spells from online they all seem very 'meh' and nothing special, like little synergy between them and units.
Teledor

#10 Post by Teledor »

I think overall, the number of viable fluffy builds increased with the new book to be honest. I could see you fielding a viable infantry based list with some fast Cav, a frosty and bolt throwers. lots of different phases to play with there.

Now against power gaming we will still struggle, but I don't think we were knocked down any pegs. We may just be where we were before, but with more options (all Cav core now for instance).

High magic depends on your list really. I tend to like my Mages safe and away from combat, and the new High magic's short range, 18" for most everything, just doesn't really fit with that preference. Also, a number of the spells are not geared to combat buffs, so that can be problematic. However, with the right mindset and list, I think High can be very successful.
Bolt Thrower

#11 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I haven't played many games with the new book, but my initial impressions are that I am overall pleased with how it turned out.

From your descriptions of units you took in the past, you may find a niche for a fun list with the new selections. I have found Phoenix Guard to be really strong with the addition of martial prowess and the tried and true staying power of the ward save. I played DE a few weeks ago and my PG unit really tore it up taking down a unit of cold ones with a hero and another block of infantry. You could easily slot them in with the razor banner and perform well.

For your chariot itch, the tiranocs can now be taken in units of 1-3 and are cheaper. I think this could be a load of fun and a fast threat with some punch on the charge.

Magic certainly feels like it took the biggest hit in the book. No native option to generate additional power or dispel dice seems to be the largest complaint. However, the variety in core and rare now may allow us to shift away from relying on magic so much creating a need for a more balanced approach to list building. I only played one game with High magic and I was pleased with what an archmage with the book of hoeth could put out there each turn. But then the loremaster called my name and I'm kind of obsessed with that right now. My experience with him has been good--the frustration isn't on getting spells through necessarily but more on being able to stop spells effectively. As a general you have to be very clear on your dispel priorities when using him versus an enemy level 4--especially with dark elves.

Lots of movement towards heavy cavalry armies, and I am very tempted to go that route as well. But then I have these 30 painted spearmen that I don't want to just pack away, so I'm going to try and make them work!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#12 Post by Domine Nox »

I like the new book, it feels very... right. I see a good balance, and a general sense that everything has a place. Nothing feels like a must include, or a waste, which I like. I see a wide variety of lists that all seem to do okay in the right hands.

I can see why everyone says our magic has gone down in light of what some of the other races can do, but I still feel HE magic users are quite capable, especially in light of the Loremaster and the Book of Hoeth. Also, despite the bad rep it's getting I am quite fond of High Magic and feel it is a decent lore that has a very useful and effective lore attribute.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Shadeseraph

#13 Post by Shadeseraph »

The book pretty much removed our old strengths and improved our less powerful units. That's great from an internal balance point of view, but for those who liked to Teclis their way through a game, the book has lost some appeal.

Personally? I friggin' love the book. I've won as many games as I've lost. I'm learning tons of new tactics and interesting combinations, and only once I've felt I couldn't win.

As for external balance, the book looks solid. Middle tier, not an overly strong book nor a bottom of the stack, but able to fight against most things. It doesn't have any true multipurpose units (like Ironguts or demigryphs), so managing redundancy in your lists may be tought. I'd say we are a bit better in comped environments, and a bit worse in uncomped environments.

As for High Magic... At the start, I found it barely decent, but lately I'm starting to like it a lot. I don't really care about the Lore attribute, but the spells themselves are quite decent once you start using them. The key itself is that high magic is more of a "support" role. While shadows is all about winning big, high magic works wonders for battlefield control. Even Fiery convocation, a very good spell, I feel is more about controlling the enemy's magic phase than killing. And while some spells may look as suboptimal compared to other similar ones, the key here is how they fit within the rest of the lore.

Specifically, my own experiences regarding High Magic is that it may as well be the perfect lore against Dark Elves. Unforging is a huge threat to any pendant dreadlord or dagger wielding sorcerer, S4 is very good against T3 troops, and even tempest, usually regarded as the worst spell, helps a lot against RXB units. Hand of Glory means our SM and WL will be able to hit before their units, and Walk Between Worlds is always great, but even more so against dark elves, who can match our speed.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
The Silly Dragon

#14 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Just got hold of the book today. So here are my first impressions.

Phoenix: I am leaning more towards the Flamy one then the Chilly one which I didn't think I would (picking it up with the book even if I never use it as I love the model).

Sisters of Avelorn: Heard these underperform but I really like them being BS5 and S4 and only you know points is actually good the only thing I don't like is them being in Rare so I can't include them with a Phoenix and my usual RBTs.

Repeater Bolt Thrower: I used these in groups of 2-4 anyways so seeing them come down to X points now is amazing for me, will still use them.

Swordmasters: Yes they took a beating from the nerf hammer but I see them as a unit that is 2 attacks at S5 and negates ASF from other enemy units. Looking at it from this way they are pretty good and cheaper then before. Will I take them? Yes but not all the time like I used to theme my army around them. Them still being 5+ in size is a great help in making them still viable I feel.

Phoenix Guard: Not seeing how an extra 5 attacks will help them and in my experience the ward is either epic win or epic fail (save all or none).

Not looked too much at the characters but Teclis and Tyrion don't seem anywhere near worth their points. Loremaster is as sweet as I thought he would be (remember not even 1 game in yet though). Against DE I see Fireball, Iceshard Blizzard and Spirit Leech as very useful as Spirit leech can help me out with Pendants as it has no strength and the S4 of Fireball will decimate the T3 and Iceshard will help even out the shooting with its to hit modifier, then of course is Wildform that will make a unit better and then Shem's for the Hydra. The rest like Miasma and Earthblood and Searing Doom are just icing on the cake. My prediction is that my friend will learn to hate him. The problem against lv4s I see but the pros outweigh the cons.

The items I feel we didn't lose that much as I was never one to take a lot of characters anyways. Would have been nice to have more options though.

Edit: High Magic: Short ranged off set by attribute to some degree I find it a lore only fit for a lv4 as you want a lot of spells and not just a couple but a lv2 with both sigs I see as being very useful.

Overall I am so far very happy and excited for my first battle either tomorrow or next sunday.
Teledor

#15 Post by Teledor »

Few thoughts.. The Frosty is my pick because Blizzard Aura is awesome. -1 S and ASL is huge when used in combo charge situations with our elites. Also a little bit more survivability with the T 6 is a bonus.

Swordies definitely took the nerf bat to the face. WLs and SMs without re-rolls can be down right painful to watch at times. That's why I've continued to take 20+ units of PG and dropped the medium units of WLs and SMs I used to run. PG are just more consistent now being the only elite infantry that re-roll and their ward.

The sisters are fun. I always include a group of five at least to take down possible regenerating foes.
The Silly Dragon

#16 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Wow I did not see that the Sisters were 5+ that's gonna help with my list building for sure.

I prefer the Flame Phoenix myself with the Wake of Fire and Reborn rules. Means I can be more reckless or annoying and to me a Phoenix is something that is "born again from the ashes of fire" not making you want to put a winter hat on. The Aura sounds great and the stats are also better but I don't want my bird for combat meatiness more so for annoyingness (yes its a word :P ). Also with a lot of Dragon Armour, Flaming Bows, Fireballs it just seems right to also go fire for the Phoenix you know? That and I find that he will. help out a lot more with the masses of ranked Zombies and Slaves running around.

I'll make a quick list later and post it up for critique (bear in mind it will be a fluffy play for fun one I don't do competitive anymore as that strains friendships but still I want to win, shhhhh :wink: ).
The Silly Dragon

#17 Post by The Silly Dragon »

I did a list please go and comment about how bad it is! :mrgreen:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=50019
Rabidnid

#18 Post by Rabidnid »

The Silly Dragon wrote:Wow I did not see that the Sisters were 5+ that's gonna help with my list building for sure.

I prefer the Flame Phoenix myself with the Wake of Fire and Reborn rules. Means I can be more reckless or annoying and to me a Phoenix is something that is "born again from the ashes of fire" not making you want to put a winter hat on. The Aura sounds great and the stats are also better but I don't want my bird for combat meatiness more so for annoyingness (yes its a word :P ). Also with a lot of Dragon Armour, Flaming Bows, Fireballs it just seems right to also go fire for the Phoenix you know? That and I find that he will. help out a lot more with the masses of ranked Zombies and Slaves running around.

I'll make a quick list later and post it up for critique (bear in mind it will be a fluffy play for fun one I don't do competitive anymore as that strains friendships but still I want to win, shhhhh :wink: ).

Still getting used to the sisters myself. I could not get the damn things to rank so i cut the bows off and stuck them on female glade guard instead.

Shadow warriors are quite worth their points.

Frost phoenix is a support monster, I kept letting it get in fights by itself and it did very poorly. Never died, but it was usually tied up all game fighting something its own points or less. Both phoenix seem expensive compared to what they do. Swordies still do appalling damage but die in droves. I have 30 pg as well now so I just run those and some faster units like SH to fill the role that swordmasters had. My archer cores has retired for a SW mage bunker and lots of SH/reavers.

My SM and frost phoenix just sold on e-bay

If I do get another phoenix is will be the flaming one.
"Luck is the residue of design"
jinxs

#19 Post by jinxs »

Deus Ex theme HE. Yes please, start a blog :D!

We are roughly a mid tier army still, most of our units are playable and our army versatility is top notch. Yes the Monster problem still hangs around that makes playing Caledorian Lords sometimes a bit iffy, but it generally isnt our fault.

Teclis might have lost his ability to lose friends while playing Warhammer, but the new word around the town is that the Banner of the World of Dragon is the new way for that!

I still feel that DE is one of the best match-ups to fight against! True bloody sundering battles.
GooberNumber9

#20 Post by GooberNumber9 »

I really liked High Magic in theory but in practice I've had trouble with it. Basically, if I can roll Hand of Glory then I'm pretty happy. Apotheosis sounds useful but rarely is there a multi-wound model that is down a wound or more in range to cast it on. Fiery Convocation is a spell you might cast once every three games but when you do it's pretty awesome. As RIP it pulls a lot of dispel dice away if you can cast it. Arcane Unforging, Walk Between Worlds, and Drain Magic would be amazing in the right situations, which never seem to come up for me. Soul Quench is such short range I don't think I've used it once. So mainly I've found myself casting Hand of Glory, Apotheosis, and/or Drain Magic just to get the lore attribute even if there's no wound to heal or hexes/augments to remove. Again, Hand of Glory is the best thing. There's always a unit that needs it and then you get your lore attribute.

The Loremaster is the best. Always a useful spell or five available every turn. With the Book of Hoeth he can really make the most of few power dice. Plus he can hold his own in combat. So overall our magic is a bit less powerful but we have some unique options and somehow our fighting does better without the great magic.
The Silly Dragon

#21 Post by The Silly Dragon »

jinxs wrote:Deus Ex theme HE. Yes please, start a blog :D!
I will try to post some pics but probably not a blog (who knows though).
jinxs wrote:I still feel that DE is one of the best match-ups to fight against! True bloody sundering battles.
Indeed. When my friend used to bring out his Vampire Cou nts it was really hard to think of new ways as to why the two armies are clashing again (you wouldn't think the undead to be good ship builders to get past our Navy). But the games always felt more meatier against DE and alittle more balanced (when he didn't bring the Pendants and Hydras at least) as it was elf vs elf and not elf vs blenderlord or zombie.

The thing I am finding with the book is that I want to spend more points in core and not just the minimum whereas before it would be LSG with Archers until you hit the 25% and then leave it alone for the other units. Feels strange to want to do that. Also rare is now a headache whereas before it was relatively easy choice (2 Eagles min and some RBTs when I feel like it).
Prince Asarion

#22 Post by Prince Asarion »

The Silly Dragon wrote:The thing I am finding with the book is that I want to spend more points in core and not just the minimum whereas before it would be LSG with Archers until you hit the 25% and then leave it alone for the other units. Feels strange to want to do that. Also rare is now a headache whereas before it was relatively easy choice (2 Eagles min and some RBTs when I feel like it).
I know that feeling, I keep wanting to play higher points games just so that I can fit all the things that I want to field in. I really want to field Sisters. But as I come up on finishing this unit of archers, I don't think I can handle anymore bows in the short term (and I have to repaint my shadow warriors already)
Check out my [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40192]c/b/plog[/url]

[size=85][i][color=#0000FF]Army - L ~ D ~ V ~ SV - Year[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 8 - 2012[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 1 ~ 0 - 2013[/color][/i][/size]
The Silly Dragon

#23 Post by The Silly Dragon »

I've been looking at the Eagles and it has 2 options on its list entry of Swiftsense and Shredding Talons but on its profile page it has 3 rules which include Swooping Strike. How do I get Swooping Strike if I wanted it? Or is it for the other Eagles for the Skycutter but it says nothing in their unit entry either. :-s
Prince Asarion

#24 Post by Prince Asarion »

The Silly Dragon wrote:I've been looking at the Eagles and it has 2 options on its list entry of Swiftsense and Shredding Talons but on its profile page it has 3 rules which include Swooping Strike. How do I get Swooping Strike if I wanted it? Or is it for the other Eagles for the Skycutter but it says nothing in their unit entry either. :-s
Both the Griffons and Eagles are on the page. The third option is for Griffons. You'll see the options there.
Check out my [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40192]c/b/plog[/url]

[size=85][i][color=#0000FF]Army - L ~ D ~ V ~ SV - Year[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 8 - 2012[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 1 ~ 0 - 2013[/color][/i][/size]
The Silly Dragon

#25 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Oh I see now thanks. Not very clear though I think as its in the Eagle entry not the Griffon making me think its for the Eagle.
The Silly Dragon

#26 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Had a game today with the new book.

My conclusion is that I really miss having a reliable way of generating power dice as my opponent was using Power of Darkness a lot (D3+1 PD) and so was having no trouble with his own magic phase. So I don't think I will be going any lv4s anytime soon.

Loved the Loremaster and he was very useful in every turn (except the last when he died due to fleeing a ld8 break test only 2 inches #-o ). But rolling below average consistently through the game (6 PD max) it was hard to really get the best use out of him. Book of Hoeth is very useful helping me push through spells and dispel against his lv4.

Core I am very happy with. Didn't use my Silver Helms well enough as I was too cautious in holding them back.

Phoenix or the Flamespyre one in particular impressed me but not a lot. It took out a large unit of Witch Elves with Archer fire and would have cleaned up a large unit of Crossbows if I had 1 more turn.

Phoenix Guard I am not sure with. They needed some extra hitting power as he failed to cast or had dispelled all my Wildform attempts (which is fine Iceshard went through instead and Spirit Leech). I feel like taking medium to large units of cavalry to be a better choice for combat.

Reavers did their job wonderfully by being an early drop in deployment and taking his RXB out of action for 2-3 turns due to position and keeping them in combat before dying.

The game ended in a draw and I do not have the time to write up battle reports so don't ask :P with the DE player getting 55pts more then me. Though I feel his list wasn't very optimal (metal magic, no shades, Cauldron at 1500pts and units being too large like not splitting up a unit of 22 RXBs).

It was our first game for quite some time (like 2 years I think) and looking back now we forgot a lot of things like Reavers having Vanguard move and LOS rules. We both had a great time with lots of laughs as it should be. I am pleased with a draw and it was very close throughout, a good game. The new book has some problems but I see it as an improvement from the last one and excited for future adventures.

Will probably have another game next weekend against his Vampire Counts (so another 8th edition book) which would be something to really test the new book out for myself.
NecronBob

#27 Post by NecronBob »

Furion wrote: What is left allows for 3 so far identified competetive builds.
Out of curiosity, what are the three identified builds? I'm guessing one is MSU and the other is Cavalry Prince. Is the third bowline? Everqueen w/ white lion horde?
Visit my Warhammer Blog: [url=http://rotgutmanglers.blogspot.com/]From the Jaws of Victory[/url]
Furion

#28 Post by Furion »

NecronBob wrote:
Out of curiosity, what are the three identified builds? I'm guessing one is MSU and the other is Cavalry Prince. Is the third bowline? Everqueen w/ white lion horde?
In my opinion they are:
1. Cav Prince
2. Death Hoeth Archmage with PG + WL
3. 2x Loremaster
[url=http://www.youtube.com/followfurion][b]FollowFurion[/b] on youtube for in depth WFB tactics analysis (click!)[/url]
thedanish

#29 Post by thedanish »

Furion wrote: In my opinion they are:
1. Cav Prince
3. 2x Loremaster
What sort of strengths does the double Loremaster list rely on? Cross-board magic coverage?
Mrfantastical

#30 Post by Mrfantastical »

Furion wrote:
NecronBob wrote:
In my opinion they are:
1. Cav Prince
3. 2x Loremaster
4. Everqueen + High Archmage/BoH w/ White lion horde