New release the 90% confirmed Many Many new updates Page1

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: New release the 90% confirmed Many Many new updates Page1

#1351 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Luna Guardian wrote:
Pulstar wrote:Do we have any idea what happened to the Griffon?
Buried as pointless :cry:
So nothing.
Tethlis

#1352 Post by Tethlis »

Luna Guardian wrote: Buried as pointless :cry:
Or converted to be Phoenixes for those on a budget :D
Warden of Tor Galadh
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#1353 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Tethlis wrote:
True. They aren't just eagles anymore.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#1354 Post by Luna Guardian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Tethlis wrote:
True. They aren't just eagles anymore.
"High Elf Griffons. Useful as everything EXCEPT as High Elf Griffons" :D
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
HERO

#1355 Post by HERO »

Which is a damn shame.. :/
I wonder what they'll be points wise. Probably ~150.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Ramesesis

#1356 Post by Ramesesis »

LoL! So very true! :mrgreen:

But I have the beautiful Griffon mini from IoB and I would have wanted it to be something worth taking and not having to be scared of it getting shot out of the air by a stiff breeze. Maybe it could be some hybrid stuff, like a Gryffonix? Counting as a phoenix. :mrgreen:

But, that Swooping charge rule or what it was called, could, just could, be something for the griffon.
finreir

#1357 Post by finreir »

Ramesesis wrote:LoL! So very true! :mrgreen:

But I have the beautiful Griffon mini from IoB and I would have wanted it to be something worth taking and not having to be scared of it getting shot out of the air by a stiff breeze. Maybe it could be some hybrid stuff, like a Gryffonix? Counting as a phoenix. :mrgreen:

But, that Swooping charge rule or what it was called, could, just could, be something for the griffon.
I have 4 high elf IOB griffons all are eagle riders :D
Ian Sturgess playing high elves and wood elves since 1990 ish
Twitter @chaffmaster1
Ramesesis

#1358 Post by Ramesesis »

Even more lol! However, I have two old school metal eagles so it gotta be a phoenix then. Hmmm... A storm Griffon, or Fire Griffon... Damn, gotta find a cool twist to it.
sparkytrypod

#1359 Post by sparkytrypod »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... permPage=1

link to some army book pages on face book, if the link doesnt work just search high elves on facebook and go to pictures
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Eirik

#1360 Post by Eirik »

BS 7 prince, nice.

So I moved, and you're in a building? I guess I hit on 3s.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
RogueSun

#1361 Post by RogueSun »

eriktheguy wrote:BS 7 prince, nice.

Wait. It's a minus to hit modifier, right? Not a minus to Ballistic Skill.

So normally hitting on 2's you'd be at -3 to hit, meaning hitting on 5's.
Ramesesis

#1362 Post by Ramesesis »

Damn, something is amiss!

Bell of Lost Souls blog is gone. The URL cannot be found.

And Faeit212:s blog is also gone. It has been removed. One is nothing, two is no conicidence.
Texhnolyze

#1363 Post by Texhnolyze »

Hmm...

What will happen if I happen to get my Loremaster within 6" of a Wizards tower?
Will I suddenly know 56 spells? Feels kind of wrong to be able to Throne of vines and then 6 dice any of the big spells form any lore I Pick :D

What will happen if I play storm of magic, will I know like 56 spells, and 24 cataclysm spells?

Feels like my opponents eyes will fall out of their head the first time I bring it up....
Baeronvonbleat

#1364 Post by Baeronvonbleat »

RogueSun wrote:

BS 7 hits on a 0+, with 1's always missing.

Just like an AS 1+, with a -1 modfiier is a 2+, BS7 hits on 0+, modfies to 3+.
Danidude

#1365 Post by Danidude »

RogueSun wrote:

Nope, hits on 3's. BS 7 = 0's to hit, however a natural roll of 1 on a d6 is a miss.

Edit: ninjaed to it:P
This is my signature, are you sure you have permission to read signatures? Yes/No
Selvhan

#1366 Post by Selvhan »

A cavalry prince with the reaver bow will be devastating now...
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/Selvhan/Signature.jpg[/img]
With tall lance held to our foe's throat,
Cold fury guiding our aim,
We are death upon the wind.
Tethlis

#1367 Post by Tethlis »

Ramesesis wrote:Even more lol! However, I have two old school metal eagles so it gotta be a phoenix then. Hmmm... A storm Griffon, or Fire Griffon... Damn, gotta find a cool twist to it.
It's easy enough to use as a Phoenix, or you can keep it a a Griffon and just say it's been enchanted for certain effects. You don't even need magic to justify rules either... For a Frost Phoenix, just say that the bestial roar and savage ferocity of this particular Griffon is so legendary that it makes the enemy -1 Strength and they Always Strike Last. If a Giant can automatically win a combat by 2 through virtue of Yelling and Bawling, it's not far-fetched to imagine a Griffon doing something similar :D
sparkytrypod wrote:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... permPage=1

link to some army book pages on face book, if the link doesnt work just search high elves on facebook and go to pictures
Nice find, and great art. I'm attached to my Avatar... Scrivener drew it for me during the Hour of the Wolf. Otherwise I'd snag that image up in a heartbeat.

I also like that a Prince is BS7 now. It just makes sense. We're one of the few races that actually uses our Ballistic Skill on our characters, and yet a Hero and a Lord both had the same BS. It's nice to see things suitably ramped up, and functionally it makes the Reaver Bow more of a contender for a Prince because he's actually better with it than a Noble. I don't think I'd ever actually give him the Reaver Bow, since he really needs a magic close combat weapon to maximize ASF re-rolls, but it's nice to know it's there.
Warden of Tor Galadh
Csjarrat

#1368 Post by Csjarrat »

I thought Really high BS "wrapped around, so if you had bs 6 you roll 2's and 6's to hit. Bs7 would be 2's and fives etc. might be an old 40k rule that though, never comes up in fantasy as rarely do my chars have ranged weaps
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
sparkytrypod

#1369 Post by sparkytrypod »

unless you are going to just leave him with a lance he will need a different magical weapon to grind out combats

edit, tethlis beat me to it on magic weapon!
Last edited by sparkytrypod on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Danidude

#1370 Post by Danidude »

Csjarrat wrote:I thought Really high BS "wrapped around, so if you had bs 6 you roll 2's and 6's to hit. Bs7 would be 2's and fives etc. might be an old 40k rule that though, never comes up in fantasy as rarely do my chars have ranged weaps
Yeah, it do wrap arround, however that if you need 7's to hit, not BS 7 :)
This is my signature, are you sure you have permission to read signatures? Yes/No
Selvhan

#1371 Post by Selvhan »

sparkytrypod wrote:unless you are going to just leave him with a lance he will need a different magical weapon to grnd out combats
Yes but still your opponent still have to decide where to focus fire. And guess what ? The Phoenix will have a huge Target printed on his face !

Or maybe you can put him on the dragon with the bow. Anyone tried ?
Baeronvonbleat

#1372 Post by Baeronvonbleat »

Selvhan wrote:A cavalry prince with the reaver bow will be devastating now...
Cavalry prince won't be able to march and shoot, so it limits the use (from my experience).

In addition, reaver bow seems to have multiple shot rule, not just 3 shots, so that's another -1 modifier, and I read somewhere it's only a +1 Str bow. So... Str 4, not Str 5.

Major gimp, but it also had a price drop, so... balanced? I'd consider throwing the Reaver bow at a prince as an extra. But I'm also apt to give a magic weapon to a prince, to get the re-rolls to hit. Glittering Sword would be 7 attacks, re-roll to hit, and chance to ignore armoursaves on wounds. Need to math hammer it a bit...
Selvhan

#1373 Post by Selvhan »

Yes and we need to see if the reaver is only str 4 or if it take the user Str + 1.
Tethlis

#1374 Post by Tethlis »

I think the Seahelm and the Reaver bow are going to become great friends, assuming the Seahelm has good Ballistic Skill. If the Seahelm is with Lothern Seaguard to give them reforms, it's perfect since both the character and the unit will be doing plenty of shooting anyway. If the Seahelm is in a Skycutter, the Skycutter can't march anyway and will spend plenty of turns shooting, so the Seahelm is right at home. If the Seahelm also gives a Ward Save to the Skycutter, and if that ward extends to the Seahelm too, you can even afford Reaver Bow/Potion of Strength and some additional armor also.
Warden of Tor Galadh
Csjarrat

#1375 Post by Csjarrat »

My chariot mounted prince is going to be rocking that bow i think.
He isnt marching anyway so no drama there, its only 10+10pts so leaves plenty of room for protection and figghty stuff too :-)
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Gondarion

#1376 Post by Gondarion »

The idea that our new magic phase is only strong because of Book of Hoeth may be true, but it isn't true to say it is only strong FOR that caster. The book will allow for consistently high rolls, which will force opponents to choose what to dispel. Which means that they may end up spending dice dispelling a high cast roll of, say, Arcane Unforging, leaving space for the Loremaster to cast Searing Doom, or Wildform into a crucial combat. The Book opens up everything.
bernh

#1377 Post by bernh »

I read somewhere it's only a +1 Str bow. So... Str 4, not Str 5.
User str + 1. So Str 5 and can grow.
Shadeseraph

#1378 Post by Shadeseraph »

According to those who have the preview, the reaver bow is usr S + 1, just like some throwing weapons. That means it's S5 on a prince, and, furthermore it can be boosted through spells or potion of strength. It's a serious boost to the weapon, even with the 3 shots including a -1 to hit. Also, it's a lot cheaper.

I can definitely see a prince wielding a reaver bow and a halberd, lance or even a GW.

And, about magic, I agree with Gondarion. The book also makes saving dice easier. You can risk rolling spells with fewer dice a lot more, which means other mages can use those dice. And frankly, although it is a bit more limited, I do prefer +1 to casting than +1 to dispel, as I prefer to build my magic strategy around offense, not defense. The high magic lore may not be as powerful as some of the other lores, but all the spells (except maybe apotheosis, depending on the list you are running) are useful, which helps to make 2-dicing spells useful. I can't say that about the BRB lores. Many times I've been left stuck with Shadow's 4 or 1, or Death's 1 or 4 (against VC), or even life's 1 or 4, which made my magic phases a lot more predictable: The enemy waits for the big bad spell and throw all his dice at it, as the other spells aren't as important.

And I love the new drain magic. Vanhel's? Not anymore. Oh, you casted Hellish Vigor last phase? Sorry, not rerolling to wounds anymore.

And the loremaster is just yummy. As HERO said on his thread, pretty much all his spells are useful. But also, he can make use of most of the lore attributes, except maybe beasts (as I'm quite sure he won't be able to pick a mount).
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
Ramesesis

#1379 Post by Ramesesis »

A frost griffon sound pretty cool. Really cool.
Danidude

#1380 Post by Danidude »

Shadeseraph wrote: And the loremaster is just yummy. As HERO said on his thread, pretty much all his spells are useful. But also, he can make use of most of the lore attributes, except maybe beasts (as I'm quite sure he won't be able to pick a mount).
What happens when you park him next to a wizards toiwer? Do he knows all the spells form the BRB?