Introduction topic

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Davariel
Chronicler

Re: Introduction topic

#271 Post by Davariel »

Greetings Ulthuan!

While I first started collecting High Elves some five years ago, I only did so for a few months before my gaming group got completely and utterly sidetracked by Mordheim, where we've remained ever since. Accordingly, my High Elf army remained a tiny, mostly unpainted mess, soon forgotten.

However, as I've recently been painting up some of those High Elves and rediscovered how much I liked the army's background and aesthetics. As I've been painting and working on fluff, I thought I'd join up and enter a community of like-minded people. :D

See you round!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#272 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Mordheim is the place to be. Love that game.
Calisson

#273 Post by Calisson »

Hi all.
Calisson, from D.net.
Coming here because Malekith said so in the End Times.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#274 Post by Ferny »

Calisson wrote:Hi all.
Calisson, from D.net.
Coming here because Malekith said so in the End Times.
In that case enjoy your stay, you'll be catching a ship/ark/worldroot shortly :wink:
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Snoeaengel

#275 Post by Snoeaengel »

Hey everyone!

I have been lurking on here for almost a year now after I started with WHFB last spring. Started with Island of blood and have slowly been working my way up the points.

Located in Gothenburg, Sweden, father of a two year old son owner of all Collectors Edition of World of Warcraft and it's expansions.
gruccione

#276 Post by gruccione »

Hi Everybody!
After a long period of secret following as a guest I decided to proceed with my registration :mrgreen: I hope to have a nice stay, and to learn many things from you all!
Oh, and sorry for if my english is bad, but I'm form Italy :oops:
sgc8647

#277 Post by sgc8647 »

Hello to everyone.

I am in the process of probably playing WFB again.

I started in the warhammer universe a very long time ago with the Rpg 1st Edition in the early 90's. Then got a fue miniatures for our games.
And that got me into my first army in WFB V4: Dwarves.

Didn't like the guessing game with the artillery and most of the people in my area played 40K. So i went over the dark side of the World and after playing a few games i started collecting tyranids. And didn't like it. Then the Necron came out for the first time in a Codex of their Own (V3). And have been playing since.

I like the fact that the models have little different weapon choices. I am not a modeler and therefore enjoy when my minis do not have multiple weapons options. (as it is a friend of mine who enjoys the modeling aspect of the hobby, and who therefore paints my stuff.

After a hiatus of a bunch of years My Necron and I have Reanimated into the Hobby for the past 3 months now. And i play 2/3 games a week. And will be attending my 3rd tournament in 15 days.
So far fielding my foot slogging V3 Army i have manage to win 2/3 of my games.

All of thise back group to say the following.
In an army i envoy flexibility, resilience, and different ways to field / build an army. (i ran a bunch of CC Necron army along pure shooty or Shoot + Counter assault)

I am a decent tactical general (many years of playing MMO's or Rpg or strategic board games)

I have the opportunity to buy in a HE army that can allow me to field the 4 basic type in the current Meta.
- Monster circus (2 Frosty + Star Dragon)
- Cav buss ( Silver Helm + Dragon Prince)
- Helm Buss (Silver Helm + Reavers)
- Infantry (PG + WL+ Archery support (RBT+ Archers/ Sea guard)

Now i might need to get a few more models here and there but all in all 95% is there (on top of the fact that it is very well painted)

I have been lurking HE forums for the past months and ready Loremaster Blog as well as Curu's

While i am not near any ETC competitiveness i am planning to go to Hard tournament just to compete (not necessarily taking an Fully ETC power list. Anyone can do their research and Copy past and practice.)

I am still pondering my choice of army. (i will commit, like 40k (More then 6k points of Necron), to only one. My reason for posting today on top of introducing myself is the following comment by Finreir:

"ETC then to stay on topic I would never pick high elves in any year, I believe the army has always been soft and exposed by top players at the core, especially in stand off ish Warhammer which the etc tends to be. Last year I might have put high elves in gor a gimmick list because of the banner but overall they just get pipped in every department by another army."

I understand the concept of good at everything and Master of None :)

But unfortunatly i can't PM him directly for all the reasoning and explanation behind it as i am still not entirely fixed on my choice of army. (I won't play hords army as i dislike them for obvious painting reasons...)

And so i am turning to your community for help into my choice of army.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#278 Post by Aicanor »

Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll find your answers here. I think finreir was speaking about picking an army for a team tournament, not about singles. But I am not a right person to give you good enough answers on tournament play. I would suggest you to ask these questions in separate topic.
Razzy Mac

#279 Post by Razzy Mac »

Hey all, I've been lurking here for a while and posting for a couple of days, figured I might as well post in here to make things 'official'. If you want a detailed introduction I've written about myself in my painting and modelling thread (link in my sig), but to make a long story short I've had eight or nine years out of Warhammer and I've returned to the army I was just starting almost a decade ago! Look forward to posting here and getting to know some other players, while absorbing some of your considerable warhammer/high elf knowledge!
RM's High Elf Plog
High Elves: 9 Painted, 112 Remaining
ChrispyC

#280 Post by ChrispyC »

Hey guys, thought I'd introduce myself. I'm at University in the UK and I've been collecting High Elves for a few years. Lurked on the boards off and on but thought I'd start to post a bit. Don't really get to play as much as I'd like to, pretty much limited to 1 tourney each year that my friends club runs in the South of England, but having discovered UB I'm not trying to play more, and make lists that are fun to play without being garbage :P
Jian

#281 Post by Jian »

Hi all,

Just joined today but I've been lurking on the site for a while. I've been reading the 27 odd chapters of the chaos wars. Thank you to the creator(s). I enjoyed bringing my favourite childhood models to life, guided by your knowledge and imagination.

A little about myself: I was crazy for everything HE as a kid. My best Christmas involved the opening of hundreds of metal cast models. As I got older and bigger my focus moved to girls and playing rugby. My cherished High Elf army got neatly boxed and stored. That was more than 20 years ago. I've recently returned to the UK after spending the last 5 years working in Hong Kong. I popped over to my mum's house and thought I'd ask after my neatly boxed 'toys,' as she likes to call them. The idea being to take them back to HK and get the girlfriend to help me finish painting. Nice plan right? Yeah I thought so too. Until my mother told me she gave them away. OMG. They're not 'toys'.....and they're not for giving away!!!! OMG thousands of points worth of models down the drain. The old metal ones too!!!! I mean my brother had chaos dwarves. And he painted them badly! Couldn't she tell the difference??? WOW

I was and still am mortified. I'm going to have to build my army again. But actually I'm looking forward to it. I haven't played in ages but would love to join a game. Give me a shout if you're in London or Hong Kong.

Thanks for listening to my troubles. It's great to be able to get a little warhammer fix here at ulthuan.net
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#282 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

That story usually involves baseball cards.
Jian

#283 Post by Jian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:That story usually involves baseball cards.
[-X I'm a Brit....don't have much interest in baseball or your 'world' series. The equivalent would be cards of cricket players here...none of which would be as valuable as my metal cast HE army #-o

Regards,
Jian
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#284 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Jian wrote:
[-X I'm a Brit....don't have much interest in baseball or your 'world' series. The equivalent would be cards of cricket players here...none of which would be as valuable as my metal cast HE army #-o

Regards,
Jian
Ja, it's just a common old story from my dads generation. Where they'd come home from collage and mom threw out their baseball cards. And the ones from back then are fairly pricy.
Jian

#285 Post by Jian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Jian wrote:

Regards,
Jian
Ja, it's just a common old story from my dads generation. Where they'd come home from collage and mom threw out their baseball cards. And the ones from back then are fairly pricy.

Hahaha I'm not that old dude. I'll be 33 on the 19th;)
amboadine

#286 Post by amboadine »

Thought I would drop into the Introduction thread, to make a formal entrance.

My main hang out is Druchii.net, but do spend a large amount of time forum surfing.
Been playing since way back when, ravening hordes time, with a mix of elven armies over the years with a few gobbos thrown in for amusement.
Amboadine

Moderation team Druchii.net
Mr. Lucifer

#287 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

Thought i should just drop a hello here...

Im (nearly) 30 and have been playing warhammer for 15 years. I currently work as an Employability tutor for young adults who have left school with little confidence, bad Or non existent gradeetc.i live in the south east of the UK.

In my 15 years of GW i have almost consistently played high elves. I have dabbled in other armies but always return tp the sons of Asur ... I am reknowned in my group for selling armies and then starting again!

Well that's me...Hello!
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved of the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat – we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."
Lady Phoenix

#288 Post by Lady Phoenix »

Apologies, missed this thread

Hi, Im Penny, 42, returning to Warhammer after about 14 years.

I recently bought the Island Of Blood set purely for something to paint. Im an ex chaos player but to be honest Im got attached to the little pointy eared fellows and thinking of building up the army and playing games with them.

I have nothing to show you at the moment, well, not finished, but quite happy to post pictures if people are prepared to look at them :)

My painting standard is probably table top standard, but certainly not good enough to win any competitions. My aim is to improve over time. I plan to buy the Island Of Blood set again and keep it for a year and then paint it with the aim of producing a better model than this little rabble.
I also plan and playing a lot more. Joined a couple of clubs and I aim to play friendly games, and of course the local GW is often able to play a game with me.

I also had a crazy idea the other day. Im going to enter tournaments and painting competitions. OK, Im sure I wont do very well, but dont you learn more by getting a hiding than by doing the butt kicking yourself?

Anyway, thats me, o, and if anyone is in the Norfolk area and fancies an easy win give me a shout. High Elf V High Elf is ok in friendly games isnt it? :)
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

http://www.ladyphoenix.co.uk

Gliitering Host of Nápoldë Melwasúl
Under Construction
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#289 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Jian wrote:
Hahaha I'm not that old dude. I'll be 33 on the 19th;)
You're getting up there. I've only got a couple years on you.
Dvarik

#290 Post by Dvarik »

Hello,

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I was first introduced to Warhammer in Highschool by my friends 10 years ago. I got hooked and started building an WE army. The HE's was the faction that drew me in but one of the guys in the group already had a HE army so I decided to go with WE. Then we all went off to Uni and without my group, gradually lost interest in the hobby.

Fast forward 10 years and I find myself drawn to WHFB again, especially with the End Times storyline changing and finishing the storyline. I recently began building a High Elf army, the faction that initially drew me in. I initially thought about actually finishing up the WE's that I had lying around and focusing on that faction. But playing an actual game with the units that I had for that faction quickly changed my mind. I think I may return to the faction at some point in the future. But for now, I'm focused on the HE's and learning to be the best player that I can.

Anyways I'm looking forward to see what changes the HE faction will get from the End Times and from 9th edition. I'm really excited to be playing fantasy again.
CheesyRobMan

#291 Post by CheesyRobMan »

Greetings to all :)

I posted in the Off Topic to introduce myself but having realised this thread is here, thought I'd better say hello. I'm a long term gamer but haven't tried WFB/AoS until now. My first High Elves are on their way from eBay and I'm looking forward to trying them out.
darkfalt

#292 Post by darkfalt »

Hi there Asur bros.
One more elf here. Ive been around in the forum reading and learning
finally decided to participate a bit.

See you
Doctor

#293 Post by Doctor »

Hi,

I've started collecting my army about 20 years ago, during the 5th edition. It was very expensive back then (in my country at least :) ) and I haven't had many people to play with, so I decided it made no sense to continue.
From time to time I looked at those old models (including Prince Imrik and his dragon, Tyrion, the Everqueen with her maiden guard, swordmasters, an RBT and some other plus Bretonnians and Lizardmen from the starter set) thinking about painting them. I had some old school Citadel paints, but all of them apart from the black wash where bone dry.

So finally I decided to buy some paints and do it, just for fun. More or less at the same time my friends started to think about getting their armies to play. In the end I have an High Elf army - still mostly unassembled - and I'll be playing mostly against Skaven, Dark Elves and Empire (with an occasional Order vs Destruction alliance) :)

I must say I like the quality of the new models. On other hand I've came to a conclusion that I'm a fan of metal models. They are far less fragile, it's easy to strip the paint off them and most importantly they usually don't require all the cutting, removing mold lines, gluing and filling the gaps which takes lots of time. Well maybe except the mold lines.

Here's the second miniature I've painted (not counting the simple attempts when I was a kid):
Now I'm kinda stuck gluing stuff together.

Edit:
I almost forgot. I have the 5th edition HE army book and I loved the fluff and images when I was a kid. I still enjoy reading it today :)
Also, (also as a long time WFRP player) I find it quite sad that GW decided to kill the Old World and change it into the AoS universe.

Regards,
Dr
Last edited by Doctor on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#294 Post by Aicanor »

Welcome!
And yes, there is something about metal models that plastic doesn't have. :D
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#295 Post by SpellArcher »

Doctor wrote:I almost forgot. I have the 5th edition HE army book and I loved the fluff and images when I was a kid. I still enjoy reading it today
+1

:)

Welcome!
Captain Ricco

#296 Post by Captain Ricco »

Greetings Elves.

I'm Captain Ricco of Remas, a Tilean mercenary.
I am here to present a project for the 9th Age.

I will do this during the week.
Another thing about me: I've played Warhammer since 2010, I'm French and my English isn't always good ^^'

(With a French accent) "For Ulthuan !"
Last edited by Captain Ricco on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chracian

#297 Post by Chracian »

Welcome! (in a north of England accent). Look forward to your contributions!
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#298 Post by SpellArcher »

Chracian wrote:Welcome!
+1

Keen to see what you have to say Captain!

:)
Captain Ricco

#299 Post by Captain Ricco »

Thank you Elves !
Farren Elandor

#300 Post by Farren Elandor »

Late to the party, didn't know there was a forum for High Elves! But I'm here now!